Best 4K Blu-ray Deals

Best Blu-ray Movie Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | New deals  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Australia Japan
Harry Potter: 8-Film Collection 4K (Blu-ray)
$90.99

How to Train Your Dragon: The Hidden World 4K (Blu-ray)
$14.99

Brightburn 4K (Blu-ray)
$22.96

Inside Out 4K (Blu-ray)
$29.99
5 hrs ago
Ratatouille 4K (Blu-ray)
$29.99
22 min ago
Brave 4K (Blu-ray)
$29.99
22 min ago
Cars 2 4K (Blu-ray)
$29.99
22 min ago
Don't Look Now 4K (Blu-ray)
$57.73

John Wick: Chapter 3 - Parabellum 4K (Blu-ray)
$29.99

X-Men: Dark Phoenix 4K (Blu-ray)
$29.96

Pokťmon: Detective Pikachu 4K (Blu-ray)
$29.95

Star Trek Beyond 4K (Blu-ray)
$16.23
1 hr ago
What's your next favorite movie?
Join our movie community to find out

Image from: Life of Pi (2012)

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Ultra HD Blu-ray and 4K > Ultra HD Blu-ray and 4K Hardware and Technology

Old 07-21-2019, 03:42 PM   #461
Blu-ray King

Feb 2009
Swanage, Engerland

Is that why DV's brightness is significantly reduced - according to both my eyes and my colourimeter - compared to HDR10 on the ZD9? That because it's requesting too high a nit level for what the TV can do the output is being dimmed down too aggressively? Or was the LG EDID even dimmer? Sadly it looks as if the problems with the LL mode are not just on Dolby but on Sony too and I don't hold out much hope that both will be corrected.
Thanks given by:
HDMan72 (07-21-2019)
Old 07-21-2019, 04:18 PM   #462

Feb 2017

Stacey- you seem to be the only person in the world thatís understands HDR/DV. I just upgraded to a LG C8 and bought the Sony UbX 700. Everything is running through my Denon 7200wa including my Apple TV 4K. DV passes through at RGB 8 bit for the Sony 700 and ATV in DV.

HDR 10 passes through in BT2020 10 bit for ATV and BT2020 12 bit for Sony 700.

Iím used to seeing BT2020 10 bit from my days with Samsung JS9500 and 8500 uhd player.

The settings that are passing through seem correct from statements Iíve read the past couple of days?

Also which blu Ray player is the best for chroma sampling for DV in your opinion? Thank you!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stacey Spears View Post
As an experiment this weekend, I copied the EDID out of the LG and used it in front of the Z9D and DV did not clip at factory default. So I don't think the EDID in the Z9D is optimal. I would not use the LG EDID either as it is requesting a lower nit level for Dolby Vision, but Sony is requesting too high a nit level.
Old 07-22-2019, 12:55 AM   #463
BD Test Disc Author

Mar 2008

Quote:
Originally Posted by TJtennispro View Post
Stacey- you seem to be the only person in the world thatís understands HDR/DV. I just upgraded to a LG C8 and bought the Sony UbX 700. Everything is running through my Denon 7200wa including my Apple TV 4K. DV passes through at RGB 8 bit for the Sony 700 and ATV in DV.

HDR 10 passes through in BT2020 10 bit for ATV and BT2020 12 bit for Sony 700.

Iím used to seeing BT2020 10 bit from my days with Samsung JS9500 and 8500 uhd player.

The settings that are passing through seem correct from statements Iíve read the past couple of days?

Also which blu Ray player is the best for chroma sampling for DV in your opinion? Thank you!
The 8-bit RGB for Dolby Vision is secretly 12-bit 4:2:2. This means you are in TV-led mode, which is good. Sounds like the ATV is working that way too.
Old Yesterday, 12:20 AM   #464

Nov 2017

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stacey Spears View Post
The 8-bit RGB for Dolby Vision is secretly 12-bit 4:2:2. This means you are in TV-led mode, which is good. Sounds like the ATV is working that way too.
So after, checking out your DV montage. I remembered a comment you made about the brightness having an affect on the sharpness, not a result of the display sharpness setting, or edge enhancement. This thought came to mind, is that partly related to the master being 12 bit, and what DV does with the encode?

I also read a PDF, on the importance of 12 bits or 4096 shades. I've come to realize, I never fully had a grasp on what 12 bit meant to the look of a HDR grade or particularly a DV one. You essentially get a significant boost in overall detail, dare I say, "fine detail".

There's something about the way DV combines the base layer and enhancement layer that has yet to be fully understood.

The montage is the representation of how HDR gives the impression that you are looking through a window or actually there. Great work.

Ditto on don't touch contrast, but I discovered my display, in the mid tones was way under luminance. So right now, Gain is the only part of grayscale I have calibrated. Over time brightness goes up and cloud detail becomes even more pronounced.
Old Yesterday, 03:14 PM   #465
BD Test Disc Author

Mar 2008

Quote:
Originally Posted by DisplayCalNoob View Post
So after, checking out your DV montage. I remembered a comment you made about the brightness having an affect on the sharpness, not a result of the display sharpness setting, or edge enhancement. This thought came to mind, is that partly related to the master being 12 bit, and what DV does with the encode?

I also read a PDF, on the importance of 12 bits or 4096 shades. I've come to realize, I never fully had a grasp on what 12 bit meant to the look of a HDR grade or particularly a DV one. You essentially get a significant boost in overall detail, dare I say, "fine detail".

There's something about the way DV combines the base layer and enhancement layer that has yet to be fully understood.

The montage is the representation of how HDR gives the impression that you are looking through a window or actually there. Great work.

Ditto on don't touch contrast, but I discovered my display, in the mid tones was way under luminance. So right now, Gain is the only part of grayscale I have calibrated. Over time brightness goes up and cloud detail becomes even more pronounced.
If you go to the butterfly montage and pause on the Ferris Wheel shot, you will see what I mean. The perceived sharpness improvement is from the contrast improvement of HDR.

Bitdepth will help with gradations, not sharpness.
Thanks given by:
Geoff D (Yesterday)
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Ultra HD Blu-ray and 4K > Ultra HD Blu-ray and 4K Hardware and Technology