Best Nintendo 3DS Game Deals

Best Nintendo 3DS Game Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | Price drops  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Japan
Warioware Gold (3DS)
$37.25

Rune Factory 4 (3DS)
$29.78
10 hrs ago
Captain Toad: Treasure Tracker (3DS)
$33.99

The Alliance Alive Launch Edition (3DS)
$28.58
17 hrs ago
Kirby: Battle Royale (3DS)
$29.99

Beyblade Evolution Collector's Edition (3DS)
$18.83

Metroid: Samus Returns (3DS)
$38.99

Pokémon Ultra Sun (3DS)
$29.99

Fire Emblem Warriors (3DS)
$25.19

Etrian Odyssey V: Beyond The Myth (3DS)
$24.97

Culdcept Revolt (3DS)
$19.99

YO-KAI WATCH 2: Fleshy Souls (3DS)
$38.99

What's your next favorite movie?
Join our movie community to find out

Image from: Life of Pi (2012)

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Gaming > Nintendo > Nintendo 3DS

Old 09-02-2016, 02:38 AM   #1
Blu-ray Knight

Feb 2011
Default Metrod Prime: Federation Force

In a surprise to absolutely no one, Federation Force sold 4286 copies in it's first week in Japan. From what I read it's a decent enough game but they refused to listen to the vocal outcry from it's reveal.

https://mynintendonews.com/2016/09/0...ts-first-week/

Hopefully they see their error and don't just assume people don't want Metroid. Happy 30th Anniversary.
Old 09-02-2016, 02:42 AM   #2
Blu-ray Knight

Feb 2011

Edit button refuses to work on my iPad but I wanted to add that a commentor posted sales number in Japan since Super Metroid and it looks like Japan gave up after that one. It doesn't surprise me they wouldn't like the first person Prime games but Zero Mission and Fusion were shocking.
Old 09-02-2016, 08:14 AM   #3
Power Member

Sep 2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by dyne View Post
In a surprise to absolutely no one, Federation Force sold 4286 copies in it's first week in Japan.
It's not a surprise, because Japan was never into Metroid in the first place. Japanese gamers are also not into shooters (except for Splatoon) and also do not really like First Person games.

This may also on top be a result of Metroid Other M, which was a horrible game. I seriously DOUBT that Federation Force is WORSE than Other M. Simply because Other M took a dump onto Samus Aran and Metroid games in general.

Also don't forget - Metroid Prime 1 sold around the same amount as the original Metroid on NES. No other Metroid game did that. Metroid Prime 2 sold less. Metroid Prime 3 sold even less (when you take into account that the Wii install base was HUGE). Metroid Prime Trilogy sold badly as well. If anyone is to blame, then those "fans", who didn't buy more of Metroid Prime.

Quote:
From what I read it's a decent enough game but they refused to listen to the vocal outcry from it's reveal.
So they should have cancelled the game then?

Nintendo wanted to show us the Federation side, which they haven't before. I'm absolutely okay with that and I think that's even a great idea. Sorta like Blue Shift expansion to Half-Life. They never announced it as some regular Metroid game. It was always a spin-off title.

I'm actually happy that they didn't release Other M 2. This is a spin-off title and a risk, so I will applaud them regardless even in case this one is bad as well (I applaud Nintendo for taking the massive risk and creating Metroid Other M, although I hate it with a passion), although what I've seen looked actually pretty good.

I loved Tri Force Heroes and this is basically sorta the same, although the same irrational hatred happened to Tri Force Heroes too. Spin-Off. Coop Multiplayer focused. And then the "fans" screamed "but this is not a classic zelda game". Well duh.

And the very same is happening to the freshly announced 3DS Pikmin game. It's cringeworthy.

People should never forget that for example Metroid Prime 1 was a massive risk as well. And I think those gamers today would have screamed as well about it. "What does Nintendo do the Metroid franchise? I don't want a first person shooter. I want a classic 2D Metroid game" yada yada.

Last edited by jimidini; 09-02-2016 at 08:22 AM.
Old 09-02-2016, 01:29 PM   #4
Blu-ray Samurai

Apr 2010
Bruce Wayne lives in my attic

They should of released it between main Metroid releases, I don't think it would have had as bad a reception.

I liked Other M, aside from Samus portrayal that is. The game itself was fun to play. The forced first person for missles was annoying, but the rest of it was fine.
Old 09-02-2016, 01:38 PM   #5
Blu-ray Knight

Feb 2011

I also liked Other M as a game. As a part of the series, not so much.

Should they have cancelled this one? That's hard to say but when you have a series that struggles to sell even when fans are on board it's quite a gamble when you know there's such a reaction so early on.

It's just mind boggling how they purposefully made a chibi-style to cater to Japan when they don't like fps's and also removed the main character to boot. It's like they went and made something that catered to nobody.
Old 09-02-2016, 08:33 PM   #6
Power Member

Sep 2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by SixSpeedSamurai View Post
They should of released it between main Metroid releases, I don't think it would have had as bad a reception.
I doubt it.
LoZ Tri Force Heroes got the same crap and it's not like anyone would seriously think that Nintendo would stop making Zelda games. In fact Zelda U / Zelda NX was already known to be in the works, but that didn't matter at all.

Just like in this case. They are simply taking their time, because they understood that Other M was not well received at all. Hell, even after the glorious Super Metroid they skipped one generation and then delivered the superb Metroid Prime on the Gamecube (which was also a big risk).

In fact there was so much backlash that I bought Tri Force Heroes almost 6 months after release. And after playing it, I really really love that game, it's so well made. I must have played it for more than 100 hours.

Quote:
I liked Other M, aside from Samus portrayal that is. The game itself was fun to play. The forced first person for missles was annoying, but the rest of it was fine.
Hmm, have you not played other Metroid games?

The whole exploration was basically gone. Doors locking behind you all the time. Silly cutscenes w/ Samus almost always losing her suit to show her ass. Getting missile expansions was 100% pointless, because of the regain missiles (+ health) by thinking about them feature.

Then there were those silly pixel hunts, which made me think that my Wii froze almost every single time.

Samus didn't feel like Samus. It felt like a Ninja in a light-weight suit. And then there was that dodge button, that you could basically spam and you were invulnerable.

And finally the authorization stuff, which combined with the level / game design made no sense at all. The space station was basically empty except for 2 people. And not even allowing Samus the Varia suit in a situation, where she could and would die AND her even not simply using it OR at the very least asking for it was just plain stupid.

They could have made at least half of those things properly, but they didn't. I still can't believe that no one at Nintendo said "wait this is bad and also makes no sense, let's fix that". Instead they went "good, release it".

I mean hell, I can think of 3 ways of making this Varia suit non-sense at least make sense and not make Samus look like a silly suicidal dumbass.

Speaking of dumbass, the Ridley stuff was also silly as hell and made no sense.

Even the graphics weren't that good. I mean Metroid Prime 3 looked way better and had actual exploration.

I applaud Nintendo for taking such a big risk, but that's everything that they will get from me. The game itself is a horrible mess.

I wouldn't really even call Other M a "Metroid" game, because all of its flaws. Almost everything in it is basically the opposite of what's a Metroid game. Other M is what I would expect some AAA-developer to deliver nowadays in case the publisher asked for a "Metroid-like" game (without Nintendo involved at all).

The only thing that felt like Metroid was the
[Show spoiler]final escape sequence

Bonus video:

That surely happened to everyone, who played a Metroid game before Other M. As I said - horrible level design.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dyne View Post
It's just mind boggling how they purposefully made a chibi-style to cater to Japan when they don't like fps's and also removed the main character to boot. It's like they went and made something that catered to nobody.
That one made sense. Well if Samus would be a playable character, then how would this work out in a game designed for coop?
One gets to be Samus for a level by random number generator?

And then she would basically break the game because of for example screw attack.

As a character she
[Show spoiler]is actually in the game, just not playable

I guess Nintendo simply tried to make it appeal to the Japanese audience. Splatoon worked out, although Japanese people hate shooters with a passion most of the time. It surely worked out even better than they would have ever imagined.

That's the thing with experiments and taking risks like this. Sometimes you lose. Sometimes you win.

Was Metroid Prime in First Person a great idea? In retrospect everyone would say "yes of course". But that was also a very high risk and some tiny thing could have ruined it completely.

DS + Wii were both also a really big risks and even both of them worked out perfectly. Wii U was also a big risk and didn't work out.

Xenoblade Chronicles was surely designed for Japan, but didn't sell that well at all. Which is why Nintendo even didn't want to release it in Europe + US originally. That's one example that strangely didn't work in Japan (although it's a JRPG and nothing that i would call high risk, it was simply bad luck), but worked out wonderfully in EU + US. Xenoblade Chronicles on 3DS on the other hand didn't sell that well anywhere.

Last edited by jimidini; 09-02-2016 at 08:56 PM.
Old 09-05-2016, 05:46 PM   #7
Blu-ray Knight

Feb 2011

I'll probably get it at a discount. It bombed in the UK as well. Didn't even place in the multi system top 40 which has other older 3DS games still on it. Also didn't crack the the 3DS's own top 10.

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/20...on-force-flops
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Gaming > Nintendo > Nintendo 3DS