Best Wii U Game Deals

Best Wii U Game Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | New deals  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Australia Japan Mexico
Game Party Champions (Wii U)
$11.99

Splatoon (Wii U)
$33.00

Skylanders: Trap Team (Wii U)
$99.99

Lego Jurassic World (Wii U)
$9.77

Just Dance 2016 (Wii U)
$9.99

Star Fox Zero (Wii U)
$9.69

What's your next favorite movie?
Join our movie community to find out

Image from: Life of Pi (2012)

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Gaming > Nintendo > Wii U

Old 12-24-2013, 04:47 PM   #21
Blu-ray Samurai

Dec 2009
DFW TX

Not really. I use it for my main Amazon Instant Video Player...lol

I also am pleased with New SMB and Windwaker HD. I have SM 3D World but haven't started it yet.
Old 06-18-2014, 09:44 PM   #22
Blu-ray Champion

Jun 2010
USA

I only have a handful of Wii U games and that's my intent with the console, just to play the big Nintendo brand games.

I do, however, regret buying my Wii.
Old 06-18-2014, 11:57 PM   #23
Blu-ray Prince

Jul 2007
Derry, or at least it feels like it.

none at all. I only regret the time I don't have to play every game under the sun!
Old 04-20-2015, 04:00 AM   #24
Expert Member

Nov 2011
cyberspace

I do not at the moment regret my Wii U but I only got mine in September last year the day Hyrule Warriors came out. I knew what I was getting into when I bought it and I am fine with that. I love Nintendo games I have owned every console they have ever made and will likely keep that trend going for decades to come.

YES it was a slow start and you can pretty much forget about 3rd parties, unless you are fine with indie releases and Virtual Console. Also a big bonus for me was Wii Backwards compatibility as I sold my Wii in 2009 and have kind of been regretting that for years.
Old 06-16-2016, 12:07 AM   #25
Expert Member

Sep 2012
Vancouver, Canada

Old thread but I thought I’d chip in with my opinion. I bought my Wii U around 9 months ago, mostly to play Bayonetta 2. I enjoyed the game immensely and was lucky enough to be able to play Splatoon for free via a rental from my public library which I also really liked. The console came with Nintendoland (which I didn’t care about) and Super Mario 3D World (which I’m halfway through, decent Mario game for sure) so during the first few months I good a decent amount of mileage from the console.

This year however, I haven’t even turned the damn thing on. One of the games I was looking forward to play the most was TLoZ Wind Waker HD. I could play it for free from my local library if I wanted to, but there’s just so many other more compelling games out there that I kinda forgot about the console’s existence. I dunno what it is, maybe the whole negative stigma with Nintendo as of late and their complete negligence to give people what they want has soured me on the company as a whole. Sure, Zelda looks great, but I was hoping to play it by the end of this year not in a nebulous 2017. Overall, I want to sell my Wii U before NX drops but what pisses me off the most would be to lose all my saves because there’s no method of backing them up and being able to transfer to another console. This post sounds like a rant but I wanted to share my two cents.
Old 06-17-2016, 11:39 AM   #26
Blu-ray Baron

Mar 2007
Chattanooga, TN

I sold mine a few months back. It was basically a Mario Kart 8 and Pikmin machine for me. Most disappointing Nintendo product I've ever owned.
Old 06-17-2016, 12:45 PM   #27
Blu-ray Count

Sep 2008
Vancouver, B.C.

I still buy games for it today.
Old 06-17-2016, 02:27 PM   #28
Special Member

Jan 2013

I bought mine for the New 2D mario games, which I am extremely pleased with. There are still a few games that I want to pick up for the system, Mario Kart, wonderful 101, and splatoon, so I have some more to look forward to with the console.
Old 06-17-2016, 02:29 PM   #29
Blu-ray Champion

Feb 2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derb View Post
I still buy games for it today.
Same. This is my relaxing machine.
Old 06-17-2016, 02:48 PM   #30
Blu-ray Guru

Aug 2010

None at all, honestly.

I buy video game consoles for one thing: to play games. I don't care about all the fancy online features, I don't care about DVD playback, I just care about games.

I've got 22 games for the system, most of them are exclusive and most of them are awesome and worth owning.

No idea how people can say "Wii U has no games" lol unless you have all the free time in the world to do NOTHING but play video games all day.
Thanks given by:
Dynamo of Eternia (07-19-2016)
Old 08-30-2016, 03:35 AM   #31
Expert Member

Nov 2011
cyberspace

Quote:
Originally Posted by rexcrk View Post
None at all, honestly.

I buy video game consoles for one thing: to play games. I don't care about all the fancy online features, I don't care about DVD playback, I just care about games.

I've got 22 games for the system, most of them are exclusive and most of them are awesome and worth owning.

No idea how people can say "Wii U has no games" lol unless you have all the free time in the world to do NOTHING but play video games all day.
Well I can clarify this since you seem to be missing the point. The Wii U doesn't have that many games. If you think it does then you are severely limiting yourself.

If you consider that 90 percent of the titles in the eshop are either barely mini games better suited for Android, the rest are just the same retro themed games over populating Steam at the moment, and a handful of very decent full-fledged games buried underneath all that fluff.

The machine is what it is, a Nintendo 1st party console machine that's it. But to hype it up as having lots f games it silly. Even if you dismiss the notion that the eshop is as I describe it, which would be hard to do but lets say for the sake of argument you somehow felt a $.99 cent rubix cube app counts as a full game then more power too you, BTW that $.99 cent rubicks cube "app" is over priced on Wii U coming in at $4.99 last time I checked, but I digress. lets get back to the "games."

If you look solely at Nintendo's own first party offerings there is a severe shortage of games. Now unless you are one of those people who are content with playing anything that gets made most likely you are going to be like the average gamer who enjoys more than one type of game.

I personally enjoy very few games for the console, I would estimate there are less than 30 total I would ever spend money on. Keep in mind I am talking games here that you have to buy a Wii U in order to access, making some exception for true eshop exclusives, I am NOT even discussing Virtual Console, as why the HELL would anyone spend $350 on a machine to play over priced NES/SNES games they can get elsewhere or most likely already own?

Most gamers like a variety of game types, several of which the Wii U is severely lacking. Even if you LOVE Super Smash Bros. that is IT for that type of game on the console. Other than Smash Bros. you have a grand total of what 3 fighting games, ones of them is a Pokemon game based on an arcade exclusive to Japan. Sure not a bad game but seriously no Street Fighter, Mortal Kombat, Tekken, Virtua Fighter, DOA, Dragon Ball Z, yeah its lacking in games.

Suppose you like RPG games, again how are you going to honestly be content with the ONE RPG game the console has for it, when there are other consoles for less money that have DOZENS of RPG games. Sorry still no games.

If you enjoy Sims forget it the Wii U has literally ZERO sims, nothing, not even a Harvest Moon, a staple of Nintendo consoles since the SNES.

What about Mega Man, Mega Man type games? Nothing new on the Wii U, and if you want the old games you are stuck buying them one at a time, over priced and missing features that you get on EVERY single competing machine.

What about FPS games? Well if you enjoy 1 Super Mario Sunshine spinoff/knockoff depending on how you look at it, and 3 FOUR YEAR OLD ports of games that exist in superior format elsewhere, nope sorry still no games.

Sports games? Well it has what six total? That is including the Wii Sports HD which if you are still playing Wii sports do you really need that in HD? its not like the graphics are great or anything.

What about Zelda games? Nothing so far, don't even talk to me about that one coming to NX, nobody is going to buy it for Wii U, and it's not even out yet Nintendo lies all the time I will believe it is a Wii U game when it releases, and even then it will be on a competing console so again, no games. Don't you dare quote back Wind Waker HD, Twilight Princess HD, seriously games I already played and got bored with over ten years ago? No thank you. Sure I bought Wind Waker HD, not to replay the game but because the Wii U had nothing else notable that year. I breezed through Captain Toad in less than an hour! Same with Tipping Stars, NES Remix 1 AND 2.

Yeah there are a handful of games, half of the library is available on other consoles with VASTLY superior libraries.

Insulting other gamers who actually enjoy getting the most out of their games doesn't make Wii U only gamers look better either, just makes you look bitter. Okay so if you don't care about online features then you can throw out Mario Kart 8, Smash Bros. Mario Party 10, Splatoon, and Animal Crossing, those games are basically unplayable without online, so if you dislike online then WHY would you like Wii U?

DO NOT mistake what I am saying to mean the Wii U has nothing worth playing, it does, but its not at all a system you can claim has tons of games it doesn't. It has dozens of demos, tons of mini games, lots and lots of retro ports, and an over abundance of Virtual Console, with a few half assed last gen hand me downs from three to four years ago. If you enjoy the Wii U more power to you but the vast majority of "games" for the console do not appeal to the vast majority of gamers. And the VAST majority of games period are completely missing from it.

Now With Wii and Game Cube you could dismiss the no games argument pretty easily, not enough games in some genres sure but they had enough to hold any gamer over, Wii U barely has just enough to keep you mildly interested. Now those 15 games that are worth buying are ABSOLUTE gold, no doubts there. Super Mario 3D World, DKC TP, Hyrule Warriors, Splatoon, Mario Kart, Smash Bros. those games are all really great and make the console worth owning, but please don't kid yourself and try to brag about mini apps in the eshop that shouldn't even be free downloads in the Android or Apple store.

I will go a step further and quantify my response. You said you own 22 games, mostly exclusive and mostly worth owning. I will give you the exclusive but, I can't count 22 games worth owning myself but if you can good for you. But I have 55 games for PS3 and not a single one is available on Wii U, and only 2 were available on Wii and that is PS3 games not PSN games, not PS2 HD remakes, not "PS3 equivelant of virtual console, actual full retail games. I also have 24 games for the PS4 and counting, again retail not counting the PSN and the freebies I get for subscribing to their vastly superior online service that also includes demos, movies, videos, and tons of other cool stuff NOT accessible on Wii U.
But like most people who own Nintendo consoles, I also own Playstation and a PC because I wouldn't want to limit myself to 22 games.

Again if you enjoy them all great for you but many people who like Star Fox, F Zero, Metroid, Zelda, Killer Instinct (which sadly now goes to Xbox) and hell even Wave Race, those games are mostly absent or the one iteration available sucks and isn't really that worth owning.

Not everyone who is into those types of games is going to give a shit about a half baked Animal Crossing, a Kirby game that belongs on the DS family, a DS cross buy mini game in Mario and DK, even Captain Toad is barely half a game. Also some people were turned off by Yarn Yoshi or whatever they renamed it, and so that is one less game and Nintendoland sucks, Splatoon is okay but again does require online and isn't even that great as an online experience, Mario Party 10 sucks, and everything else I can get on PS3 or PS4 or my PC.

Last edited by segagamer12; 08-30-2016 at 03:43 AM.
Thanks given by:
TaxiTodd (09-04-2016)
Old 08-30-2016, 04:50 AM   #32
Blu-ray Champion

Feb 2011

Quote:
Insulting other gamers who actually enjoy getting the most out of their games doesn't make Wii U only gamers look better either, just makes you look bitter.
Where did he ever insult anybody in his two month old post?

Quote:
DO NOT mistake what I am saying to mean the Wii U has nothing worth playing, it does, but its not at all a system you can claim has tons of games it doesn't.
Where did he claim it had tons of games? He said he has 22.

Did the system wrong you in some way to have to dig this thread back up?
Old 08-31-2016, 01:30 PM   #33
Blu-ray Knight

Feb 2009

I bought it the minute it came out and do not regret it, despite there being very few games on it I actually like. Bayonetta 2 alone is worth getting the Wii U for IMO. Other worthy titles for me personally are Fatal Frame, Ninja Gaiden 3 (was only on the Wii U for a while), Starfox Zero and Resident Evil Revelations (love playing that with the Wii U gamepad).
Old 08-31-2016, 04:17 PM   #34
Blu-ray Baron

Mar 2007
Chattanooga, TN

I'll say this much for the Wii U, in terms of games, it probably has the highest quality-to quantity ratio of the 3 systems on the market. It doesn't enjoy the pure volume of games that X1 and PS4 does but when you look at the Wii U library as a whole, there are far fewer "stinkers" than what's on the other 2 libraries.
Old 09-04-2016, 12:02 PM   #35
Blu-ray Guru

Aug 2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by dyne View Post
Where did he ever insult anybody in his two month old post?

Where did he claim it had tons of games? He said he has 22.

Did the system wrong you in some way to have to dig this thread back up?
Seriously lol. I'll never understand the unmitigated anger people have towards this console. It seems any time I mention that I have plenty of games for the system to keep me busy and happy with it, no matter what website I'm on, people always get so mad lol. This is what's wrong with "gamers" these days. No one knows how to be respectful of other people's opinions and preferences.
Old 09-04-2016, 03:09 PM   #36
Blu-ray Count

Sep 2008
Vancouver, B.C.

I have more Wii U games than PS4 games.
Old 09-04-2016, 10:51 PM   #37

Apr 2009

I strive to be platform agnostic, but I have a much harder time justifying my Xbox One purchase than my Wii U. If you like and want to play Nintendo games, you have to have a Wii U, plain and simple. Between the PS4 and Xbone, the waters get much more murky. I've never been a big FPS fan, so I bought the Xbox for the system exclusives that appealed to me. In hindsight, however, it turned out to be a very short list...Sunset Overdrive, Lara Croft (timed exclusive,) and Ori. Otherwise, I much prefer playing everything else on my PS4. As always, YMMV, but for me, I'd give up my Xbone long before my (warts and all!) Wii U.
Old 09-05-2016, 01:05 PM   #38
Blu-ray Knight

Dec 2010

I don't regret buying a wii u because money is not an issue for me, and because I have all the other consoles plus a gaming pc

but damn, if I could only afford one and ended up picking the wii u, I'd have retired gaming altogether

Last edited by Talal86; 09-05-2016 at 01:15 PM.
Old 09-05-2016, 10:14 PM   #39
Blu-ray Samurai

Apr 2011
Brisbane, Australia

No. I regretted buying my PS4. Nothing good that was exclusive. Just inferior versions of games I could buy on PC. I sold it. Had heaps of fun with WiiU though, and bought tonnes of exclusives, plus rebuilt my old Nintendo library with eShop.

In future generations I will only own a PC and the current Nintendo. PlayStation and Xboxes are a waste of money.
Old 09-06-2016, 12:26 AM   #40
Expert Member

Nov 2011
cyberspace

Quote:
Originally Posted by rexcrk View Post
Seriously lol. I'll never understand the unmitigated anger people have towards this console. It seems any time I mention that I have plenty of games for the system to keep me busy and happy with it, no matter what website I'm on, people always get so mad lol. This is what's wrong with "gamers" these days. No one knows how to be respectful of other people's opinions and preferences.
LOL at you. I wasn't mad I was just saying how I felt about it. I have a right as a consumer to express my dissapointements especially in a thread where the question is asked.
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Gaming > Nintendo > Wii U