Best Wii U Game Deals

Best Wii U Game Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | New deals  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Australia Japan Mexico
Game Party Champions (Wii U)
$12.37
21 hrs ago
Splatoon (Wii U)
$33.00

Skylanders: Trap Team (Wii U)
$99.99

Lego Jurassic World (Wii U)
$9.77

Just Dance 2016 (Wii U)
$9.99

Star Fox Zero (Wii U)
$9.45

What's your next favorite movie?
Join our movie community to find out

Image from: Life of Pi (2012)

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Gaming > Nintendo > Wii U

Old 12-22-2014, 09:14 PM   #41
Blu-ray Samurai

Aug 2011
USA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Petey Parker View Post
Apparently the discontinued characters will later be available as cards in order to use them for games. I think someone at Nintendo is failing to understand why people are actually buying these figures. I'm sure some of the audience wants them to unlock in the games but certainly not the majority. Stupid decision on Nintendo's part. Flushing potential money down the drain.
I dunno, scarcity might make these more popular by appealing to the collector crowd. If the cards are really cheap that may make money by opening the market up to people who want the game content but are unwilling to drop $13 to get a glorified action figure. Also, some collectors may double-dip to get both the figure and the card. We'll see.
Old 12-23-2014, 01:16 PM   #42
Blu-ray Champion

Feb 2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by MasturB View Post
Also in hindsight I never thought Amiibos would be THIS popular.
I would have actually been more surprised if they weren't popular. Think about it. Besides Japan, no territories really have a good way to collect high quality Nintendo merchandise. This finally fills that void as well as incorporates a Pokemon "gotta have them all" wave release schedule. It also just so happens that they are unlocks for games. I would like to know how many are actually being used for the games instead of just sitting on shelves.

I almost pre-ordered the entire first run and knew some would be hard to come by. Fortunately (unfortunately) for me I had rent to pay so that never happened.
Old 12-23-2014, 03:44 PM   #43
Blu-ray Samurai

Mar 2008
North Jersey

the only want I want is Yoshi.lol. but im waiting for the rosalina one to come out for mt daughter. pretty sure they'll be a sale on these again.
Old 12-23-2014, 04:10 PM   #44
Blu-ray Champion

Feb 2011

Rosalina is a Target exclusive and has been in and out of pre-order stock since the announcement of wave 2. Might want to make sure you get one ordered.
Old 12-23-2014, 04:21 PM   #45
Blu-ray Baron

Jul 2008
Champlin, MN

Quote:
Originally Posted by dyne View Post
I would have actually been more surprised if they weren't popular. Think about it. Besides Japan, no territories really have a good way to collect high quality Nintendo merchandise. This finally fills that void as well as incorporates a Pokemon "gotta have them all" wave release schedule. It also just so happens that they are unlocks for games. I would like to know how many are actually being used for the games instead of just sitting on shelves.

I almost pre-ordered the entire first run and knew some would be hard to come by. Fortunately (unfortunately) for me I had rent to pay so that never happened.
Always found this odd. For how popular Nintendo is the merchandise has never been good. Nothing as how quality as I would have liked before really.
Old 12-23-2014, 08:55 PM   #46
Blu-ray Samurai

Mar 2008
North Jersey

Quote:
Originally Posted by dyne View Post
Rosalina is a Target exclusive and has been in and out of pre-order stock since the announcement of wave 2. Might want to make sure you get one ordered.
I read that target will not re-opened the pre-order. Guess I'll head 1st thing the morning on release day. If not, oh well..
Old 12-29-2014, 05:48 PM   #47
Blu-ray Baron

Mar 2007
Chattanooga, TN

Quote:
Originally Posted by detective392 View Post
Yeah, I forgot that part. Here's a helpful chart for wave 1 of Amiibo's.

Why are Kirby, Star Fox, and Samus compatible with Mario Kart? They're not in the game.
Old 12-29-2014, 05:58 PM   #48
Blu-ray Baron

Jul 2008
Champlin, MN

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steelmaker View Post
Why are Kirby, Star Fox, and Samus compatible with Mario Kart? They're not in the game.
You get Mii costumes from the amiibo.
Old 12-29-2014, 06:03 PM   #49
Blu-ray Baron

Mar 2007
Chattanooga, TN

Quote:
Thanks! Not much of an incentive really. They should have used the amiibo's to put the actual characters in the game.
Thanks given by:
A Sith Lord? (12-29-2014)
Old 12-29-2014, 06:05 PM   #50
Blu-ray Guru

May 2014

Little Mac is in stock on GS.com right now
Old 12-29-2014, 06:16 PM   #51
Blu-ray Guru

Dec 2009
VA

Quote:
Oh, I had hoped it would eventually add them to the game. That's way less cool...

I guess I really should have read about Amiibo's beforehand, huh? (I got a Samus for my friend.)
Old 12-29-2014, 06:32 PM   #52
Blu-ray Baron

Jul 2008
Champlin, MN

Quote:
Originally Posted by ariakon View Post
Oh, I had hoped it would eventually add them to the game. That's way less cool...

I guess I really should have read about Amiibo's beforehand, huh? (I got a Samus for my friend.)
Yeah, Amiibo's are pretty useless in IMO. You can already use the characters in Smash and other games you just unlock costumes and items. So it's basically a $12 DLC costume or weapon that you can sit on you're shelf.
Old 12-29-2014, 07:14 PM   #53
Blu-ray Guru

Dec 2009
VA

Quote:
Yeah, Amiibo's are pretty useless in IMO. You can already use the characters in Smash and other games you just unlock costumes and items. So it's basically a $12 DLC costume or weapon that you can sit on you're shelf.
At least it's a relatively cool looking figure, even though my friend doesn't in any way collect Action Figures. I thought I was getting him Samus for Mario Kart (a gift that would have benefited me more than him, likely, but hey, it's not like he paid for it!)
Old 12-29-2014, 07:16 PM   #54
Blu-ray Baron

Jul 2008
Champlin, MN

Quote:
Originally Posted by ariakon View Post
At least it's a relatively cool looking figure, even though my friend doesn't in any way collect Action Figures. I thought I was getting him Samus for Mario Kart (a gift that would have benefited me more than him, likely, but hey, it's not like he paid for it!)
Yeah, the figures are really cool which is a huge plus to this whole thing. Not sure if possible but maybe one day they'll patch them to give us the actual characters. Not sure if they would need new toys for that or just a game patch.
Old 12-29-2014, 08:03 PM   #55
Blu-ray Baron

Mar 2007
Chattanooga, TN

Quote:
Yeah, the figures are really cool which is a huge plus to this whole thing. Not sure if possible but maybe one day they'll patch them to give us the actual characters. Not sure if they would need new toys for that or just a game patch.
My son got Kirby and Yoshi for Christmas and we couldn't figure out how to use either one of them in Smash Brothers. All it kept telling us was "Please perform the initial set up for the amiibo before throwing it into battle."
Old 12-29-2014, 08:37 PM   #56
Blu-ray Ninja

Dec 2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steelmaker View Post
Thanks! Not much of an incentive really. They should have used the amiibo's to put the actual characters in the game.
Exactly.

They are dropping the ball on the potential concept for Amiibos.

They could've gotten crazy with it and have special Samus, Kirby riding go karts amiibo's which would make them either DLC or unlock them.

Besides, Mario Kart to me is the Super Smash Bros. of racing games anyways, so why not go ahead and include your other first party properties?

I'd prefer Kirby and Samus over something like Metal Mario or Metal Peach. Those are definitely just throw ins.
Old 01-02-2015, 06:58 PM   #57
Special Member

Jan 2011
PA

Better pick up Fox and Samus Amiibos -

Nintendo Discontinuing Star Fox And Samus Amiibos?
Fresh rumors indicate that more Nintendo Amiibo action figures might soon be discontinued. Leaked images from the Target retail database suggest that that "Fox" and "Metroid's" Samus may not be on store shelves for too much longer.

Google this and you'll see it's all over (rumors for now) but you never know. Still the other 3 are impossible to find (Wii Fit Trainer, Villager, and Marth)
Old 01-29-2015, 01:34 PM   #58
Power Member

Feb 2008
Berkeley, CA

I'm still missing a few for my collection but I don't want to pay more than retail outside of paying shipping. I can't believe GameStop charges $3.50 for the slowest shipping option, 5-10 business days.

I heard Nintendo store in NY already got some of wave 3 but really all I really want is Pit and Little Mac.

Help!
Old 01-29-2015, 03:13 PM   #59

Jun 2011

Quote:
Agreed.

At the very least, they should have had it in having the Amiibo gives you an extra/special move or ability.
Old 05-30-2015, 03:38 AM   #60
Blu-ray Prince

Jul 2007
Derry, or at least it feels like it.

Went hunting today.

-Silver Mario
-Charizard
-Greninja
-Wario
-Splatoon 3 pack
-Pac Man

Are all mine!