Best Wii U Game Deals

Best Wii U Game Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | New deals  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Australia Japan Mexico
Game Party Champions (Wii U)
$12.37
19 hrs ago
Splatoon (Wii U)
$33.00

Skylanders: Trap Team (Wii U)
$99.99

Lego Jurassic World (Wii U)
$9.77

Just Dance 2016 (Wii U)
$9.99

Star Fox Zero (Wii U)
$9.45

What's your next favorite movie?
Join our movie community to find out

Image from: Life of Pi (2012)

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Gaming > Nintendo > Wii U

Old 07-15-2015, 02:16 PM   #1
Blu-ray Guru

Apr 2011
Default If you like crappy games, you'll love Devil's Third!

The title of the topic may be a bit harsh but that's the reality of this poorly developed and brought back to life game. Some games are better off dead.

Devil's Third is shaping up to be one of the worst games Nintendo has ever published @ VideoGamer

The problems bleed into the entire gameplay, due to surprising and extremely disappointing performance issues @ Nintendo Life

Devil’s Third more immediately obvious flaw is that it looks like an early Xbox 360 release @ Nintendo Insider

Devil’s Third wasn’t free of screen tearing and dropping frame rates @ Nintendo World Report

I take it if Sonic Boom had been published by Nintendo then Devil's Third would be the second worst game.
Old 07-15-2015, 03:43 PM   #2
Blu-ray Samurai

Mar 2009
Calgary, Canada 🍁

Itagaki is one of my favorite devs but without the right publisher and proper support Valhalla are simply not big enough to pull off a miracle. Especially as their first game where they are still trying to find their way. I also don't think this was the right direction for Itagaki since he isn't exactly known for shooters. Establish yourself first and get into a rhythm before trying something new.

But wrong direction or not the biggest mistake was going with THQ. A company on the verge of bankruptcy when you need funding is not a good idea. Then when the inevitable happened you are left with a poorly budgeted shovelware game to try and pitch to others. So instead of finding a good partnership you are desperate to find somebody else desperate. Enter Nintendo.

So now you are porting your poorly budgeted game to a different system without any support from Nintendo who clearly never cared about the game. It was nothing but another attempt to get anything that might change the kiddy rep. Bayonetta 2 is the one game in that attempt that didn't fail miserably. Razor's Edge was a slightly more polished turd that was nowhere near the Itagaki NG entries. The Conduit is one of the worst games I have ever played but what wasn't on the worst console I have ever played? And now this is shaping up to be a disaster that they can't even be bothered to publish in North America. Yep because releasing a shooter in Japan is a lot more logical than North America. Nintendo logic never fails to amaze me with stupidity.

Hopefully this doesn't damage Itagaki and Valhalla too much since with the right publisher to properly fund and support them the talent is there. Starting with a fighting game. Beyond the former Team Ninja members there are multiple members that came over from SEGA that had worked on games like Virtua Fighter. You have a mix of developers that have worked on big fighting series like DOA & VF and you make a shooter? That would have been like Playground Games making a Halo game instead of Forza Horizon after assembling a team of people who had worked on multiple racing franchises. Stick with what you know.

After a fighting game to hopefully get a bit of momentum going for Valhalla I still think partnering with SEGA would be the next best move even if they are a mess themselves like THQ were. But doing for Shinobi what he did for Ninja Gaiden would be beneficial to both parties.

That being said if Xseed or somebody release this physically in NA as rumored I will still pick it up out of support for Valhalla and in this example Xseed. Plus any excuse to briefly get the cobwebs off the Wii U at least serves that purpose and not like there is much else coming. Especially with NOA being one of the most pathetic jokes in the industry these days. And of course Nintendo systems have to be the only ones region locked to make us depend on them instead of importing from the more competent European branch.

Last edited by Hayabusa85; 07-15-2015 at 03:53 PM.
Old 07-15-2015, 04:57 PM   #3
Blu-ray Champion

Feb 2011

Word now is that XSEED was going to publish but Nintendo might step in because of the backlash and doing it themselves.

http://mynintendonews.com/2015/07/15...fter-backlash/

It's just too bad that the game might not be very good.

Quote:
As I suspected it looks as though Liam Robertson from Unseen64 was initially right as sources close to Nintendo of America have stated that the company is now considering publishing Devilís Third themselves after all the backlash from disgruntled fans. Understandably fans were displeased to learn that Nintendo of America wouldnít be publishing the game and were rather vocal about this on social media and various forums. This has made Nintendo of America think twice about publishing the game because if the enthusiasm is there, then why not publish it? We did hear from ever reliable Emily Rogers that the game was going to be picked up by XSEED, however in light of things, that looks set to change with Nintendo of America considering publishing the action-packed title themselves.
Old 07-16-2015, 10:25 AM   #4
Blu-ray Guru

Sep 2012

Now this is very strange.

Darksiders 2 is the only Wii U game atm that has screen tearing. Literally all other games have V'Sync turned on. So how is it possible that Devil's Third is supposed to have screen tearing?

Anyway who in their right mind thought using Unreal Engine 3 was a good idea
Old 07-16-2015, 12:06 PM   #5
Blu-ray Champion

Feb 2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimidini View Post
Yeah, considering it's not officially supported on the system. I'm assuming to eventually port it elsewhere.
Old 07-16-2015, 01:04 PM   #6
Blu-ray Ninja

Jun 2008
Gothenburg, Sweden

Devil's Turd
Thanks given by:
ps3bd_owner (07-16-2015), Wingman1977 (07-16-2015)
Old 07-16-2015, 03:45 PM   #7
Blu-ray Guru

Apr 2011

Quote:
Now this is very strange.

Darksiders 2 is the only Wii U game atm that has screen tearing. Literally all other games have V'Sync turned on. So how is it possible that Devil's Third is supposed to have screen tearing?

I take it you never played Sonic Boom (Sega), Assassin's Creed 3 (Ubisoft) or Watch Dogs (Ubisoft) on Wii U, right? These games have pretty terrible performance issues too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GC Riot View Post
Devil's Turd

Old 07-16-2015, 05:18 PM   #8
Blu-ray Guru

Sep 2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by ps3bd_owner View Post
I take it you never played Sonic Boom (Sega), Assassin's Creed 3 (Ubisoft) or Watch Dogs (Ubisoft) on Wii U, right? These games have pretty terrible performance issues too.
I was talking about tearing and none of the games you listed have any type of screen tearing on Wii U. They do however on PS3 + 360 (AssCreed and WatchDogs). Framerate is a bit better simply because of the horrible tearing, but the tearing makes those games unplayable for me on those consoles. I actually enjoyed playing through AssCreed 3 on Wii U.

As I already said - Darksiders 2 is the ONLY game on Wii U that has screen tearing. And I don't even understand why that game has it. Sure, the framerate would be "worse", although I personally can't stand screen tearing at all. It's unacceptable. If this game actually has screen tearing, then that's a reason for me not to buy it.

btw. this here is screen tearing:

Although maybe the writer of this preview has no idea what he is talking about. Because as I said, it doesn't really make sense for this game to have tearing. Bad framerate, sure. But tearing when probably Nintendo's SDK turns V'Sync on or something, nope that doesn't make sense. Even the Ubisoft games don't have tearing. And Ubisoft games are tearing galore on the old gen systems.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dyne View Post
Yeah, considering it's not officially supported on the system. I'm assuming to eventually port it elsewhere.
Officially supported or not, Unreal Engine 3 is a terrible engine. I don't own a single PS3 game using it that works somewhat "okay" or "acceptable". Typically screeen tearing, texture pop-in, very long load times and all sorts of other issues and that's on a console, that is "officially supported".

Last edited by jimidini; 07-16-2015 at 05:30 PM.
Old 07-16-2015, 05:51 PM   #9
Blu-ray Guru

Apr 2011

I remember screen tearing on Assassin's Creed 3 where it was one of the last missions against the British and I was on the horse where the performance got all stuffed up.

Really terrible port that was. Not going to ever play AC3 again because AC4 is way better in every aspect for me.
Old 07-16-2015, 11:58 PM   #10
Blu-ray Count

Sep 2008
Vancouver, B.C.

Quote:
I remember screen tearing on Assassin's Creed 3 where it was one of the last missions against the British and I was on the horse where the performance got all stuffed up.

Really terrible port that was. Not going to ever play AC3 again because AC4 is way better in every aspect for me.
Only thing I noticed that was a wow factor with AC3 on Wii U was the audio. Damn. I didn't finish the game so I can't speak for screen tear. I did buy Watch Dogs on Wii U but didn't mess around with it too much. Dunno how it stacks up against PS4 & One versions but anyway I agree AC4 is great. Don't care for Unity. It looks a mess even after the patches. That's what happens when you flood your code with NPC's
Old 07-17-2015, 02:01 AM   #11
Blu-ray Count

Jun 2007
California

Itagaki has only done 2 things right. Creating Dead Or Alive(including the Xtreme series) and the Ninja Gaiden series. But even without him, those games continue on even better than ever and also being available on more systems than just Xbox. I think Team Ninja is better without him. Looking at this Devil's Third pretty much looks to me like that confirms it.
Old 07-17-2015, 04:05 AM   #12
Blu-ray Samurai

Mar 2009
Calgary, Canada 🍁

Quote:
Originally Posted by MOONPHASE View Post
Itagaki has only done 2 things right. Creating Dead Or Alive(including the Xtreme series) and the Ninja Gaiden series. But even without him, those games continue on even better than ever and also being available on more systems than just Xbox. I think Team Ninja is better without him. Looking at this Devil's Third pretty much looks to me like that confirms it.
Dead or Alive 5 was good but nowhere near the best in the series IMO. Also pathetic that it looked worse than 4 which was a 360 launch game. Well the environments that is. But that one is at least debatable. You would have to be crazy to think Ninja Gaiden 3 was the series getting better though The series is as good as dead thanks to Hayashi. Don't even get me started on Z but Inafune is more to blame for that one.

If things didn't go down with Tecmo the way they did Team Ninja would be much better with Itagaki. Devil's Third proves nothing since it is a game that ended up in development hell thanks to THQ and is basically just being dumped out on a system it wasn't even meant to be for. Plus Hayashi has released multiple turds since Itagaki left such as NG3 & Other M so one bad game from Itagaki doesn't really level the playing field. Team Ninja has also been reduced to partnering with other devs at this point so I am not sure we will even see them try to make their own game ever again. They are basically just a support team now. That never would have happened under Itagaki.

So sadly I think the reality is both will be a shell of what they used to be. Hopefully Team Ninja at least make a DOA6 on par with 5 instead of just supporting other developers. But after this disaster hard to see Itagaki getting a good publishing partner in the future. Microsoft might be the one glimmer of hope for him. With the right budget and concept there might be hope. But will either Team Ninja or Valhalla ever have a game as well received as the first NG? I doubt it. Although I am not sure they would have if things never changed either. Always seemed like one of those once in a lifetime type of games a developer would keep trying to live up to but fail.

Quote:
More the other way around. It was a PS3 & 360 game to begin with but when THQ went bankrupt Nintendo picked it up. For a team as small as Valhalla and Nintendo never seeming to really fully get behind the project I am sure completely scrapping it to start with a new engine just wasn't realistic with their budget.

I do agree UE3 was a mistake from the start though. Awful engine. UE2 was amazing but UE3 was complete trash and UE4 isn't wowing me either. Epic have gone downhill big time. Their engines suck and games like UT3 have been nowhere near what they used to make. But I am sure budget influenced that decision too. Ideally I am sure Itagaki would have wanted his own engine as was the case with his Team Ninja games if they had the budget and team to make that possible.

Does seem like this game could show up elsewhere though if Itagaki wants based on the fact that XSEED publishing it in NA is even an option. Just like Razor's Edge taking a whole three months or something like that to go from a Wii U Nintendo Published exclusive to other systems. But is there any point releasing it on PS3 or 360? Would rather them just move on and hopefully find a good partner for a better project. Or face reality that they are basically an indie dev and work on smaller scale digital projects. Turn to Kickstarter if need be.

Last edited by Hayabusa85; 07-17-2015 at 04:50 AM.
Old 07-17-2015, 09:54 AM   #13
Blu-ray Guru

Sep 2012

Quote:
The game has V'Sync enabled. There is simply no way for it to tear a single time and if it wasn't, then it would tear the whole time and not just during 1 mission. I played AssCreed 1+2 on PS3 and it was tearing all the time, it was unplayable. I mean go on, tell me the mission, I have played through the whole game and will gladly try that mission out again to check. It was the first AssCreed that I actually enjoyed playing. First of all because of no tearing and second of all because all the crappy UI can be moved to the gamepad (also no load times for the map and no choppy map) and doesn't hinder the experience. Also it's not the typical AssCreed game. It's quite funny because most of the time people who loved the other games hated 3. I hated the first 2, stopped playing them and only grabbed the third one, because it was on sale for 4 or 5pounds. After playing through around half of it, I also grabbed the fourth one. For Wii U too of course.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derb View Post
I did buy Watch Dogs on Wii U but didn't mess around with it too much. Dunno how it stacks up against PS4 & One versions but anyway I agree AC4 is great.
Watch Dogs is actually a pretty good port. No screen tearing (and I also own the PS3 LE, which I got for cheap, trust me you do not want to play the PS3 version, it's a mess, it's also glitchy as hell). Framerate could be better, but it's perfectly playable. It's somewhere in the middle of last gen and the other current gen consoles. I played some hours and then Monster Hunter 4 arrived, so... :P

But agreed, AC4 is a really good port. UI and such switchable to gamepad and the framerate seems to be better than in AC3. I stopped playing it after some hours, because I played AC3 right before it and that simply was too much AssCreed for me.

Last edited by jimidini; 07-17-2015 at 10:08 AM.
Old 07-17-2015, 01:01 PM   #14
Blu-ray Guru

Apr 2011

Quote:
The game has V'Sync enabled. There is simply no way for it to tear a single time and if it wasn't, then it would tear the whole time and not just during 1 mission. I played AssCreed 1+2 on PS3
You just said it. You played AC3 on PS3 not the damn Wii U so stop trying to damage control it.

Quote:
Watch Dogs is actually a pretty good port.
Oh god, no it isn't.
Old 07-17-2015, 01:57 PM   #15
Blu-ray Samurai

Mar 2009
Calgary, Canada 🍁

When it comes down to it Wii U has the same problem PS3 used to have. Doesn't fair well with ports but the first party games can showcase it well like Mario Kart 8.
Old 07-17-2015, 02:28 PM   #16
Blu-ray Guru

Apr 2011

Let the damage control begin:
  • Devil’s Third runs in 30 FPS. Itagaki promises that this massive shooter (emphasis on massive) is enjoyable at 30 FPS.
  • Itagaki decided not to use split screen for online and offline play. Instead, the single player campaign uses the full power of the Wii U console.
  • Devil’s Third does not have voice chat. The bandwidth that would have been used for this feature was instead used for 16 player multiplayer.

A bonus from Valhalla:
  • Valhalla chimed in and explained that it comes down to multiplayer, which they intend to house tens of thousands of players.

Source: http://www.gameranx.com/updates/id/2...-of-thousands/

So since the single player is garbage they're trying to make gamers believe the multiplayer will be any good. haha
Old 07-17-2015, 03:30 PM   #17
Blu-ray Champion

Feb 2011

Quote:
You just said it. You played AC3 on PS3 not the damn Wii U so stop trying to damage control it.
According to your quote he played 1 and 2 on PS3.

Quote:
I played AssCreed 1+2 on PS3
Is what he wrote. Where does it say he played 3 on the PS3? According to him he played it on WiiU. Check the post with his screenshot (post #8). He says

Quote:
I actually enjoyed playing through AssCreed 3 on Wii U.
Old 07-17-2015, 03:46 PM   #18
Blu-ray Guru

Apr 2011

Quote:
According to your quote he played 1 and 2 on PS3.

Is what he wrote. Where does it say he played 3 on the PS3? According to him he played it on WiiU. Check the post with his screenshot (post #8). He says
I must've missed that but just because someone enjoys a game doesn't mean its performance is great. Some people aren't able to notice flaws in games and so they're still able to enjoy them.
Old 07-17-2015, 07:36 PM   #19
Blu-ray Count

Sep 2008
Vancouver, B.C.

Quote:
I must've missed that but just because someone enjoys a game doesn't mean its performance is great. Some people aren't able to notice flaws in games and so they're still able to enjoy them.
= 90% of gaming industry.
Old 07-17-2015, 08:35 PM   #20
Blu-ray Guru

Apr 2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derb View Post
= 90% of gaming industry.
I suppose Watch Dogs on Wii U running at 15fps can be great for some people but that right there is downright unacceptable to me as a gamer. 30fps is already barely acceptable these days because people have become aware games in 60fps are better in every aspect, though some just don't care.

Oh what's that, it's running a slow? Must be how the creator intended the game to be. lol
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Gaming > Nintendo > Wii U