Best Wii U Game Deals

Best Wii U Game Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | New deals  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Australia Japan Mexico
Game Party Champions (Wii U)
$11.99

Splatoon (Wii U)
$33.00

Skylanders: Trap Team (Wii U)
$99.99

Lego Jurassic World (Wii U)
$9.76

Just Dance 2016 (Wii U)
$9.99

Star Fox Zero (Wii U)
$9.55

What's your next favorite movie?
Join our movie community to find out

Image from: Life of Pi (2012)

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Gaming > Nintendo > Wii U

Old 09-11-2015, 10:05 PM   #21
Blu-ray Guru

Sep 2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derb View Post
Nice image.

Kinda vague but ok. I played with the editor for an hour. I guess that's not good enough.
I have unlocked everything today within a few hours.

You always get a message that new content is going to be unlocked soon and then after 5-10 minutes the truck is delivering it

How far did you get? I think Super Mario World is 6th or 7th truck.

Oh and you can also press DOWN and A+B all at the same time while levels are loading and this will switch the game into CRT mode.

I played some crazy crazy Japanese levels today. One of those almost ****ed me over while playing a 100 Mario normal challenge. I think I lost 70 lives lol
Old 09-11-2015, 10:23 PM   #22
Blu-ray Champion

Feb 2011

Got mine from Amazon today. Shipped it in a padded envelope and crushed two corners of my box. It's going back. Won't get to play until next week
Old 09-12-2015, 01:09 AM   #23
Blu-ray Count

Sep 2008
Vancouver, B.C.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dyne View Post
Got mine from Amazon today. Shipped it in a padded envelope and crushed two corners of my box. It's going back. Won't get to play until next week
That sucks. I rarely have gotten games that have been crushed in padded envelopes.

I played a few more hours & uploaded 2 levels but I didn't write down the upload code they give you or the ID. I can't find them anywhere in settings or online so you might wanna take note if you plan on sharing.

More items get unlocked as you create but it's not every 5 minutes. So far have "Underground" & unlocked "Water" level for SMB1. No new Game themes yet.

If you still have that long mini USB cable for the Gamepad.. Bust it out, you'll need it. This game drains the Gamepad fast! Like I said a few hours & then the red light came on.

Figured out that by creating 4 levels, you then are allowed to play all 4 continuously in a set. Im not sure if the edit box appears when you do this. I played some of my levels online & the edit box is gone.

Unlike the original SMB, you can backtrack while playing a level.
Old 09-12-2015, 01:12 AM   #24
Blu-ray Count

Sep 2008
Vancouver, B.C.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimidini View Post
I have unlocked everything today within a few hours.
Old 09-13-2015, 08:21 AM   #25
Blu-ray Knight

Dec 2007

If you want to unlock things quickly, don't worry about taking your time right away to make careful, well thought out levels. Just put as much "crap" down as possible. coins, blocks/terrain, etc. seem to work best since you can just hold the stylus to the screen and move it around quickly, putting down multiples of those items. You don't have to save it. Just put it down, erase, repeat. It significantly speeds up the unlocking process.

Last edited by Dynamo of Eternia; 09-14-2015 at 06:18 AM.
Thanks given by:
Derb (09-13-2015)
Old 09-14-2015, 05:22 AM   #26
Blu-ray Knight

Dec 2007

Well, I uploaded a level. I think it turned out pretty good for my first "serious" attempt. By no means do I consider myself a master level designer by any means, but I think it turned out decent.

If anyone is interested in trying it, it is called "Choose Wisely." It is in SMB1 style.

The ID to enter to look it up is:

6EA3-0000-0034-5B52

It is sort of a maze/puzzle. Getting through the right "paths" is frequently dependent upon the Amiibo costumes (which turns Mario into the likenesses of other characters, at the same height as 'small' Mario, but with the strength to break blocks like 'big' Mario).

I scanned all of my Amiibos, so the suits for all of them are avaiilable in the level. There are a few points where you get them along the way. But be careful, lose the suits at the wrong time forces you to take alternate paths (which are often difficult, but not impossible.) to get you back on track. Though you may stymble upon these paths regardless even if you don't intend to go that way.
Old 09-14-2015, 05:44 AM   #27
Blu-ray Samurai

Mar 2009
Calgary, Canada 🍁

Played a bit yesterday but due to the timing could be a while before I really dig into it. Three of my most played franchises are Madden, NHL & Forza so it was already going to be a battle come Tuesday what I will be playing Like LBP & Trials can't see myself creating anything but always enjoy seeing what others come up with.
Old 09-14-2015, 10:07 AM   #28
Blu-ray Samurai

Jan 2012

I've thought about getting this, but I don't know how much interest I have in creating levels...I'd rather just play them. Which brings me to my question:

Are levels available online for downloading? Is there a ranking system to vote on level design?

I think it would be awesome to play hundreds of top voted/ranked levels put out by the community, but I have no interest in playing the 'unbeatable' levels. That crap just isn't fun to me.

Thoughts?

Side note...

If anything, I'd hope Nintendo takes all the Mario games going all the way back to the NES and up-rez them to 1080. I'd pay $200+ for that if all the graphics were HD and not just 4:3 ports.

I yearn for the day when every single main Mario game (including Sunshine, 64 and the Galaxy's) are ported to 1080. Drool.

Nintendo probably won't do it (which is unfortunate, because I think it'd be relatively easy to simply redo the textures, especially compared to creating a whole new game), but I can hope. I've seen hacked versions of Sunshine HD and it looks incredible.

Heck, the best chance I have of getting what I want is someone using the New Super Mario Bros Wii U skin and re-creating Super Mario Bros 1, 3, etc. verbatim and uploading them all. Which leads me to a final question. Can the online levels be downloaded to be kept forever?

If I were in charge of Nintendo, the very first thing I'd do is create a 'classics' line specifically dedicated to updating all the popular old games to the new HD textures, but keeping the gameplay the same. Imagine all the NES Mario Games in HD in one package, all the SNES Mario Games in HD in another.

Imagine:

NES Mario HD, SNES Mario HD, N64 Mario HD, GC Mario HD, Wii Mario HD

NES Zelda HD, SNES Zelda HD, N64 Zelda HD, GC Zelda HD, Wii Zelda HD

Mario Kart Ultimate HD, All levels from all generations.

I'd pay over $150 for all the MK levels alone. I know I'm not alone.

Last edited by Dreamliner330; 09-14-2015 at 10:33 AM.
Old 09-14-2015, 12:21 PM   #29
Blu-ray Champion

Feb 2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dreamliner330 View Post

Are levels available online for downloading? Is there a ranking system to vote on level design?
Yes to both.
Old 09-14-2015, 04:31 PM   #30
Blu-ray Count

Sep 2008
Vancouver, B.C.

Quote:
Side note...

If anything, I'd hope Nintendo takes all the Mario games going all the way back to the NES and up-rez them to 1080. I'd pay $200+ for that if all the graphics were HD and not just 4:3 ports.

I yearn for the day when every single main Mario game (including Sunshine, 64 and the Galaxy's) are ported to 1080. Drool.
I agree.

Though four games included (SMB 1 & 3 & Super Mario World & New Super Mario U) 3 of them are in fact 1080p & from what I've seen they are also not ports except the Wii U game.
Old 09-14-2015, 04:33 PM   #31
Blu-ray Samurai

Jan 2012

Quote:
I agree.

Though four games included (SMB 1 & 3 & Super Mario World & New Super Mario U) 3 of them are in fact 1080p & from what I've seen they are also not ports except the Wii U game.
Where are 1 & 3 in HD? Those are the best. Where do I get them.
Old 09-14-2015, 04:35 PM   #32
Special Member

Dec 2009
Jackson, MS

I picked this up yesterday and I think it's fantastic. It is a bit concerning though that the top-rated levels seem to be mostly of the "don't press anything" Rube Goldberg machine variety. I'd like to see more levels that try to replicate the feel of the original games.

I am surprised to find that very few levels I've encountered have been outrageously hard. I think that's because the level creator actually has to be able to complete the level themselves before they can share it. That's a pretty ingenious way to do it.
Old 09-14-2015, 04:37 PM   #33
Special Member

Dec 2009
Jackson, MS

Quote:
Where are 1 & 3 in HD? Those are the best. Where do I get them.
I think he means the four level builder themes are all in HD. As far as I know SMM doesn't include the original games, unless they're an unlockable bonus I'm not aware of?
Old 09-14-2015, 04:40 PM   #34
Blu-ray Samurai

Jan 2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by RJ MacReady View Post
I think he means the four level builder themes are all in HD. As far as I know SMM doesn't include the original games, unless they're an unlockable bonus I'm not aware of?
The only actual Mario 'games' in HD I am aware of are New Super Mario Wii U/Luigi Wii U and Super Mario 3D World. If there are more, please inform me.
Old 09-14-2015, 04:43 PM   #35
Blu-ray Count

Sep 2008
Vancouver, B.C.

Quote:
My bad, yes that's what I meant.

After seeing the first SMB "Theme" creator & then playing it in 1080p..

Which was not what I expected outta a 30 year old game.
Old 09-14-2015, 05:00 PM   #36
Blu-ray Samurai

Jan 2012

Quote:
My bad, yes that's what I meant.

After seeing the first SMB "Theme" creator & then playing it in 1080p..

Which was not what I expected outta a 30 year old game.
Which is exactly why I want the old games remastered.
Thanks given by:
Derb (09-14-2015)
Old 09-14-2015, 07:18 PM   #37
Blu-ray Knight

Dec 2007

Quote:
I picked this up yesterday and I think it's fantastic. It is a bit concerning though that the top-rated levels seem to be mostly of the "don't press anything" Rube Goldberg machine variety. I'd like to see more levels that try to replicate the feel of the original games.

I am surprised to find that very few levels I've encountered have been outrageously hard. I think that's because the level creator actually has to be able to complete the level themselves before they can share it. That's a pretty ingenious way to do it.
Yeah, while the rating system for levels is good to an extent, it also has it's problems.

I admit that the "press nothing" levels are incredibly impressive from a design standpoint.

The problem is that outside of those and things like them, I think trying to make a level that gets rated highly is going to be catch-22. Make a level that is relatively straight forward and seems like something out of a "typical" Mario game, many people will probably down-vote it for being too basic or common.

Make a level that is challenging, that will take some time to figure out and get through, and many people will get frustrated and down-vote it.

I just have a feeling a lot of good levels (and by extension, level creators) won't get the attention that they deserve because of these conflicting priorities.

EDIT: In doing a quick Google search related to the Mario Maker rating system, I found a comment that I really liked and agree with. Players should be allowed to rate a level at all (positive or negative) unless they actually successfully complete it. That way people can't just down vote levels because they can't figure them out within 5 seconds.

It just seems fair to me. The creator has to complete it in order to upload it. The other players should have to complete it in order to vote on it and comment.

Last edited by Dynamo of Eternia; 09-14-2015 at 07:30 PM.
Old 09-14-2015, 11:22 PM   #38
Blu-ray Samurai

Jan 2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dynamo of Eternia View Post
The creator has to complete it in order to upload it. The other players should have to complete it in order to vote on it and comment.
Smart.
Old 09-15-2015, 03:59 AM   #39
Blu-ray Knight

Dec 2007

Quote:

Figured out that by creating 4 levels, you then are allowed to play all 4 continuously in a set. Im not sure if the edit box appears when you do this. I played some of my levels online & the edit box is gone.

Unlike the original SMB, you can backtrack while playing a level.
Okay, how do you play 4 of your own levels back to back without interuption? I can't find this option. Do they have to all be uploaded?

One thing that frustrates me about this game is the apparent inability yo just play your own courses outside of edit mode without uploading them first. If anyine knows of a way around this, please let me know.
Old 09-15-2015, 06:49 AM   #40
Blu-ray Count

Sep 2008
Vancouver, B.C.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dynamo of Eternia View Post
Okay, how do you play 4 of your own levels back to back without interuption? I can't find this option. Do they have to all be uploaded?

One thing that frustrates me about this game is the apparent inability yo just play your own courses outside of edit mode without uploading them first. If anyine knows of a way around this, please let me know.
If I am wrong you have permission to hit me but after you save your 4th level in 1 world, look left at the tile before the first level you created on the save screen. There is a "Play" symbol.
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Gaming > Nintendo > Wii U