Best Wii U Game Deals

Best Wii U Game Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | New deals  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Australia Japan Mexico
Game Party Champions (Wii U)
$12.33

Splatoon (Wii U)
$33.00

Skylanders: Trap Team (Wii U)
$99.99

Lego Jurassic World (Wii U)
$9.77

Just Dance 2016 (Wii U)
$9.99

Star Fox Zero (Wii U)
$9.64

What's your next favorite movie?
Join our movie community to find out

Image from: Life of Pi (2012)

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Gaming > Nintendo > Wii U

Old 10-20-2015, 09:57 PM   #101
Special Member

Mar 2010
Los Angeles

Wish I could see the levels you guys created. I do not have a wii u any longer. wishing i did though just for this game. No way to post the levels on youtube or anything like that right?
Old 10-24-2015, 02:00 AM   #102
Blu-ray Samurai

Jan 2008
Covington, KY PSN/NNID:varmintx

Thanks given by:
Kurri (10-27-2015)
Old 10-27-2015, 04:29 PM   #103
Blu-ray Samurai

Jan 2008

What I believe is the most requested feature, checkpoints, are coming.
Quote:
First off, the patch will finally bring checkpoint flags to the player’s arsenal of creation tools and allowing for more forgiving levels. Another key change is the ability to change what item comes out of a question block depending on Mario’s size.

A hub world for Event Courses is also coming to Super Mario Maker that highlights special courses, like some made by Facebook employees. Check out the announcement video below:
Old 10-28-2015, 01:10 PM   #104
Special Member

Oct 2008
Maryland

Glad we will be getting these updates. Hopefully there will be more updates in the future, or even dlc for more substantial additions.
Old 11-10-2015, 05:38 PM   #105
Blu-ray Samurai

Jan 2008

Awesome Portal stages.

http://www.ign.com/videos/2015/11/10...paign=Blogroll

Last edited by varmintx; 11-10-2015 at 05:42 PM.
Old 12-22-2015, 07:38 AM   #106
Blu-ray Samurai

Jan 2008

From Dualshockers:
Quote:
The Super Mario Maker bookmark website has officially gone live today, along with the 1.3.0 update.

The bookmark site allows for players to easily view and save courses they like, then play those courses later on the Wii U.

Patch notes for the latest update have also been released and can be viewed below.

Ver. 1.30
  • Add objects such as Fire Koopa Clown Car.
  • Add linkage with the Super Mario Maker Bookmark portal site that will allow a more detailed course search.
  • Users will no longer be able to use the words “Like”, “Yeah!”, and the “” symbol in their course names.
  • Please change the course name when saving a course that includes these words.
  • “World Record (fastest player to clear the course)” and the “First Clear (first player to clear the course)” will be listed for each course.
  • For courses that were posted prior to the Ver. 1.30 update, only the “World Record (fastest player to clear the course)” will displayed.
  • Adjustments will be made to make for a more pleasant gaming experience.
I couldn't login to the bookmarks site.
Old 12-26-2015, 10:49 AM   #107
Blu-ray Samurai

Jan 2012

I'm so done with this game. More time is spent finding levels than playing them. Additionally, even though the level must be 'beatable' they are not practical for any 'Mario' fun.

I was never interested in 'Making'...just 'Playing,' so I was already only interested in 50% of the game. The new updates with bookmarks is much better, but I still find myself trying 5-6 levels before finding a reasonable one to beat.

I wish Nintendo invested their energies in this to make HD remakes of the classic Mario games, Super Mario Bros., SMB3, SMW.... etc.

They did it with 'New Super Mario Bros.' and they've done it with Zelda; with MM, 99% of the work is done...not sure what their hangup is.

They could easily charge $60 for HD remakes of NES & SNES Mario and another $60 for N64 and Sunshine HD.

Lastly, this game will be worthless when they kill Wii U online like they did to the Wii...and my precious Mario Kart....which I would also pay lots for all previous MK tracks/cups to be playable in MK8...

Goodbye MM, you tried...kinda.

Last edited by Dreamliner330; 12-26-2015 at 10:54 AM.
Thanks given by:
JenSilvas79 (12-27-2015)
Old 12-27-2015, 03:35 PM   #108

Dec 2011
Texas

I was hugely disappointed in this game. The user created levels are,on the majority,cringeworthy at best. The 10 and 100 Mario challenges are meh. Starting off with hardly anything to actually create a level
I heard that it came with a 100 levels built in. Where? Is it the Mario challenges? Or am I just missing where to find them?

This was my Christmas gift to myself. I'm so dissapointed,I went ahead and ordered Splatoon to replace it. I guess I will stick with all of my other Mario games,and I would love to be able to play Mario Sunshine on the WiiU
Old 12-27-2015, 03:40 PM   #109
Power Member

May 2007
NYC

Quote:
Originally Posted by JenSilvas79 View Post
I was hugely disappointed in this game. The user created levels are,on the majority,cringeworthy at best. The 10 and 100 Mario challenges are meh. Starting off with hardly anything to actually create a level
I heard that it came with a 100 levels built in. Where? Is it the Mario challenges? Or am I just missing where to find them?

This was my Christmas gift to myself. I'm so dissapointed,I went ahead and ordered Splatoon to replace it. I guess I will stick with all of my other Mario games,and I would love to be able to play Mario Sunshine on the WiiU
If you build a lot you can unlock all the tools in one shot. It was originally going to give you more tools each day but they changed that. I agree though it is tough to find fun levels to play that actually feel like Mario.
Old 12-28-2015, 03:01 PM   #110
Blu-ray Ninja

Feb 2010
Montreal, Canada

Quote:
Originally Posted by JenSilvas79 View Post

It is the 10 mario challenges that unlock them yes.
I know what you mean. How many challenges in the 100 mario challenge end up being lame don't move levels. Some are impressive to line everything up, but in the end I didn't buy the game to watch the ai play.

The event courses can be good though. I'm proud to be part of the 3% that beat the final pax challenge level. That felt like a mario level.
Old 12-28-2015, 04:40 PM   #111
Blu-ray Knight

Dec 2007

I still enjoy the game for what it is, but it definitely needs a little something more.

On the side of creating levels...

The lack of so many power ups (particularly from Mario 3 and the New Super Mario games), the Koopalings, and many of the general enemies and elements from the games just feels SO limiting.

I also wish there was more that could be done in terms of "forcing" boss battles. For instance, not having an exit open until the boss is actually defeated. As it is I keep trying to either have the boss block the route to get to the exit or having a P block that needs to be pressed that is difficult to get to without fighting the boss first. I'd like it to be sort of like Mario 3, for instance, where the door opens once Bowser dies.

Also, having more bosses than just Bowser and Bowser Jr. would be nice (again, the Koopalings come to mind).

Also it would be nice to be able to make a "series" of levels and upload them, and have other players be able to play them in order. They don't necessarily have to be "forced" into it, but if they choose a particular level to play, perhaps a message could pop up saying something like "this is the 2nd level in a series of 4, would you like to play all 4 in order?" and let them choose to either play the single level or the entire series.

And while I'm sure there are certain limits to how much data can be uploaded per level, I wish they were a little more expansive, with some of the following options:

-being able to have more than one (at least two) "sub" worlds.

-being able to have "sky areas" where you climb a vine or something and go up into a separate area above the clouds to collect coins and the like.

-being able to toggle how warp pipes and the doors work. Currently warp pipes can only lead back and forth between the main world and sub world... and two corresponding doors can only exist in one area (either the main world OR sub world). I would like the option to have the doors lead to and from the sub world, and for pipes to work within just one or the other.

-This idea isn't as "necessary," but would be cool... I wish that we could actually make levels that mix up the styles from the four game visuals/physics. For example, have the main world be based on Super Mario 1, and then go through a warp pipe or something to the sub world, and have that be based on Mario 3 (or World or NewSMB). Since this game has all of these options anyway and when making a level you can switch between them on the fly, I really don't think this would be difficult to program.

I just think more options are needed to make creating levels more fun, and to give more variety in the levels that are made.

---------------

As for playing levels made by others....

yeah, there are a handful of good ones... then there's a lot of crap or things that may be impressive, but really difficult. There isn't enough of a happy medium.

While I have made an uploaded a couple of difficult ones (in one case being a hard version of another level that I made, specifying hard version in the title), in general I try to keep my levels reasonable to play.

I've actually noticed one in particular that I made kind of gain a little traction recently in terms of people starring it which is one that is a reasonable challenge and meant to be fun to play, so that's pretty cool.

I have a feeling that Nintendo will likely support this game for a while. The servers eventually shutting down does concern me some, but I'm more concerned about access to dlc if it needs to be redownloaded. I'm fine if eventually down the road I'm limited to playing the levels that I make... but I just want access to all of the elements that are made for it.
Old 05-28-2016, 09:14 PM   #112

May 2016

I just picked this bad boy up a couple of weeks ago (Managed to swing it for £25 which made me especially happy) I literally havent been able to put it down since then, it's just soooo good D:
Old 07-19-2016, 03:42 PM   #113
Blu-ray Knight

Dec 2007

I made a couple of levels over the weekend for the first time in a while. These are attempts to remake a couple of levels from Super Mario 3:

SMB3 World 2 Mini Castle: 0A52-0000-026F-F23F

SMB3 World 8 Bowser's Castle: 3AC6-0000-0270-D4B4
Old 10-05-2016, 04:01 PM   #114

Oct 2016
Texas

gonna have to check some of these out.
Old 02-01-2017, 12:12 PM   #115

Feb 2017
Earth?
-
-

I was waiting for this game to go on sale in the eShop or get a discount with My Nintendo coins. I hadn't considered that they will likely shut down the online services. Now I think I will get a physical copy so I can sell it when I hear that they are shutting it down.
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Gaming > Nintendo > Wii U