Best Wii U Game Deals

Best Wii U Game Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | New deals  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Australia Japan Mexico
Game Party Champions (Wii U)
$11.99

Splatoon (Wii U)
$33.00

Skylanders: Trap Team (Wii U)
$99.99

Lego Jurassic World (Wii U)
$9.76

Just Dance 2016 (Wii U)
$9.99

Star Fox Zero (Wii U)
$9.55

What's your next favorite movie?
Join our movie community to find out

Image from: Life of Pi (2012)

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Gaming > Nintendo > Wii U

Old 12-20-2015, 12:20 PM   #41
Blu-ray Count

Sep 2008
Vancouver, B.C.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AmrlKJaneway View Post
Had to laugh. The kids stuffed something in the drive and I can't get it out. So I bought a 2tb external and only buy digital. Doesn't bother me too much, cause there's no blu ray or anything fancy, so I don't need it.

Plus I really like digital media. Buy all my PC games and movies that way. And PS4 games for the kids, but the PS4 is a stinking pile of shit and I never use it.
To each their own. It's all about your tastes in gaming on what medium. (I'm a bit for both) I had a little chuckle because if Nintendo stuck with karts, the system would still work with milk & cookies in it.
Old 12-20-2015, 02:41 PM   #42
Blu-ray Knight

Dec 2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derb View Post
They are living in their own bubble & will do whatever they want, because they can & they will keep this arrogance until the bitter end. So NX can be a complete POS system. As long as they are happy with it, that's all that matters.
Why announce a new system then? I'd rather if they tried to turn things around for the Wii U, now that would've been arrogant, but they're not

and their first party has been hit and miss, so I can see the NX having more third party exclusives, mark my words

Also, I think the wii had a pretty good library but they were ruined by 480p and the awful awful awful forced motion controls

the wii u has better controls (all games support the pro controller) and is in HD but it lacks varied games, unless you're a fan of nintendo characters, then you're good, because they surely got that covered
Old 12-20-2015, 04:24 PM   #43
Blu-ray Guru

Apr 2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hayabusa85 View Post
Well probably the people that realized N64 didn't even hit 40 million while PS1 surpassed 100 million

----------------------

Anyway, the Wii U isn't awful like the Wii was but there is a lot holding it back. First the same problem Nintendo always have which is not being able to shake the kiddy image hurts sales in this shooter heavy gaming culture of today.

The second problem is something they will never overcome either and that is the lack of third party support. They did a lot of damage to third party relations when they got arrogant and thought everybody had to bow to them in the industry. They tried to force ridiculous policies on third parties and then Sony came along and everybody they pissed off told them where they can stick their policies Companies like EA have never gone back short of a few games here and there. Even with the success of the Wii fad they couldn't pull in companies like EA for more than a few games. On top of that they keep releasing weak cheap systems so if a third party would entertain the thought of supporting them they get turned away from the fact that they can't simply port their current gen games.

So when it comes down to it Nintendo have to depend on themselves and there are only so many games they can release. So you are left with big gaps between the games worth buying. Which is sadly an ever shrinking list as Nintendo have been dropping the ball a lot lately. They have also pretty much tossed in the towel on the Wii U and are moving on to NX.

Then we are in an online gaming era which hurts Nintendo. Very few games even have online play on the Wii U while the structure is archaic. And some things are just downright absurd like downloads being linked to consoles and not online accounts. They also lack the bells and whistles that a lot of people have come to expect like achievement/trophy systems.

That being said all this stuff as well as other problems they face with the modern gaming community I didn't bother to post are lost on most kids. So no need to fear buying one for your kids to enjoy some Mario Kart, Smash etc.
The new Nintendo president (Tatsumi Kimishima) looks to change things up for the better so not all hope's lost. Iwata did good by his employees but for the gaming market, not really.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AmrlKJaneway View Post
Had to laugh. The kids stuffed something in the drive and I can't get it out. So I bought a 2tb external and only buy digital. Doesn't bother me too much, cause there's no blu ray or anything fancy, so I don't need it.

Plus I really like digital media. Buy all my PC games and movies that way. And PS4 games for the kids, but the PS4 is a stinking pile of shit and I never use it.
Have fun with those rentals while they last.
Old 12-20-2015, 04:37 PM   #44
Blu-ray Baron

Jul 2008
Champlin, MN

Quote:
Well put.

I did buy N64 on launch. Everything on Nintendo got a 3D facelift & think what you will about Mario but that N64 game was awesome despite the awkward controls. Wave race was tons of fun too.. Mario Kart, Goldeneye.

Was skeptical about them staying with Karts but Karts are basically flash ala.. 0 loading times. Flick the switch, game is good to go instantly.

As for Wii & their lack of anybody but themselves to put a game out, I have to admit I am impressed with their first party titles.

They are living in their own bubble & will do whatever they want, because they can & they will keep this arrogance until the bitter end. So NX can be a complete POS system. As long as they are happy with it, that's all that matters.
So true. Nintendo is at the point where with the failure of the Wii U and if the NX fails they are still in a good position.

Like I've been saying they seem to be the only company who can survive with basically no 3rd party support and a handheld. Without the 3DS I could see Nintendo struggling though with what happened to the Wii U.

NX seems good on the 3rd party support for now but hopefully it can last.
Old 12-20-2015, 07:56 PM   #45
Blu-ray Guru

Dec 2009
VA

Wii U has a bad reputation for the same reason PS Vita has a bad reputation, it was a miscalculation on what the market wanted. It doesn't make the system bad or mean it isn't fun, it was just a poor choice on Nintendo's part to release a system that basically amounted to an equal of the ps3 and 360 six and seven years after they had released respectively.

Hell, I enjoyed my Gamecube quite a bit and that had a similar reputation, so don't worry about having "bad" taste, OP.

P.S. I don't have a Wii U myself, but that's mainly because the NX is releasing soon. I'm hoping that Wii U prices drop drastically so I can pick one up after the NX comes out, so I can play Mario Kart, Smash Brothers and Zelda.
Old 12-20-2015, 11:15 PM   #46
Blu-ray Guru

Apr 2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by detective392 View Post
So true. Nintendo is at the point where with the failure of the Wii U and if the NX fails they are still in a good position.

Like I've been saying they seem to be the only company who can survive with basically no 3rd party support and a handheld. Without the 3DS I could see Nintendo struggling though with what happened to the Wii U.

NX seems good on the 3rd party support for now but hopefully it can last.
The amiibos being out less time managed to sell more than the Wii U. Yes, they are much much cheaper but for a Nintendo console to sell only slightly more than Dreamcast (love live the Dream!) is pretty pathetic.

PlayStation 4 sold like hotcakes simply due to how Sony advertised it.
Old 12-20-2015, 11:49 PM   #47
Blu-ray Baron

Jul 2008
Champlin, MN

Quote:
Originally Posted by ps3bd_owner View Post
The amiibos being out less time managed to sell more than the Wii U. Yes, they are much much cheaper but for a Nintendo console to sell only slightly more than Dreamcast (love live the Dream!) is pretty pathetic.

I think it was the price that really helped Sony and the fact that X1 had an awful first impression.

If MS had released the X1 at $400 on launch and didn't have a bomb of a reveal I could see some stiff competition.

Unfortunately, now Sony is just phoning it in with the PS4 it seems. Updates suck, no disc based BC after making a big deal of BC coming to PS4 etc.

Hoping the Wii U taught Nintendo a lot this gen and they can turn things around with the NX.
Thanks given by:
ps3bd_owner (12-21-2015)
Old 12-21-2015, 12:54 AM   #48
Blu-ray Guru

Dec 2009
VA

Quote:
I think it was the price that really helped Sony and the fact that X1 had an awful first impression.

If MS had released the X1 at $400 on launch and didn't have a bomb of a reveal I could see some stiff competition.

Unfortunately, now Sony is just phoning it in with the PS4 it seems. Updates suck, no disc based BC after making a big deal of BC coming to PS4 etc.

Hoping the Wii U taught Nintendo a lot this gen and they can turn things around with the NX.
Uggh.

Last edited by ariakon; 12-21-2015 at 01:06 AM.
Old 12-21-2015, 01:10 AM   #49
Blu-ray Baron

Jul 2008
Champlin, MN

Quote:
Originally Posted by ariakon View Post
Uggh.
Don't get me wrong, I love my PS4. Favorite console I own at the moment and I have all 3 plus the last gen consoles. No fanboy here.

I just wish Sony would give us more updates like MS has been doing. Still waiting for trial versions for all games which Sony said would be coming at the reveal event.
Old 12-21-2015, 01:14 AM   #50
Blu-ray Guru

Dec 2009
VA

Quote:
Don't get me wrong, I love my PS4. Favorite console I own at the moment and I have all 3 plus the last gen consoles. No fanboy here.

I just wish Sony would give us more updates like MS has been doing. Still waiting for trial versions for all games which Sony said would be coming at the reveal event.
Fair enough, it's just that your language can come across as a little much at times. I know you have all three and seem to enjoy games a great deal.

I do agree that I hope the NX does well. Nintendo makes some great games and their presence is always a good thing.
Thanks given by:
ChadFL (12-21-2015)
Old 12-21-2015, 01:15 AM   #51
Blu-ray Archduke

Dec 2009
Daytona Beach, FL

Quote:
Originally Posted by Talal86 View Post
Why announce a new system then? I'd rather if they tried to turn things around for the Wii U, now that would've been arrogant, but they're not

and their first party has been hit and miss, so I can see the NX having more third party exclusives, mark my words

Also, I think the wii had a pretty good library but they were ruined by 480p and the awful awful awful forced motion controls

the wii u has better controls (all games support the pro controller) and is in HD but it lacks varied games, unless you're a fan of nintendo characters, then you're good, because they surely got that covered
There is no "turning around" the Wii U. You simply cannot turn around a console this far into it's lifespan. It's a decent console but suffered too many self influcted wounds from Nintendo. The name of the console was the biggest mistake. To this day most casual gamers have no clue Wii U is it's own console. Many still believe it's a Wii console in HD. The initial price was another mistake, really being about $100 too much to make it viable. The Gamepad was another costly mistake. That thing costed around $80 to manufacture, resulting in the high price point of the console. Which is stupid considering only one person can use one at a time.

The Wii U is a dead end for Nintendo. It's far too late for them to salvage that console. The NX is something they have no choice but to do sooner rather than later. Hopefully Nintendo can bounce back from the Wii/Wii U era strongly with the NX and bring back third party developers to Nintendo consoles.
Old 12-21-2015, 01:17 AM   #52
Blu-ray Baron

Jul 2008
Champlin, MN

Quote:
Originally Posted by ariakon View Post
Fair enough, it's just that your language can come across as a little much at times. I know you have all three and seem to enjoy games a great deal.

I do agree that I hope the NX does well. Nintendo makes some great games and their presence is always a good thing.
Yeah, not the best at coming across as neutral sometimes. Reading the post now makes it seem like I don't like the PS4.
Old 12-21-2015, 01:19 AM   #53
Blu-ray Archduke

Dec 2009
Daytona Beach, FL

Quote:

Sony isn't phoning it in. They did everythi right with the PS4 and gamers are rewarding them as such. As for backwards compatibility I'd love to play my own PS2 and 3 games on my PS4, but I knew all along that was extremely unlikely. Sony always said it was unlikely and the best PS4 was going to do was streaming downloaded PS2/3 games.
Old 12-21-2015, 01:24 AM   #54
Blu-ray Archduke

Dec 2009
Daytona Beach, FL
France

Quote:
Originally Posted by ps3bd_owner View Post

Worse than Dreamcast actually. The Wii U actually took longer to hit 10 million sold than the Dreamcast. Nintendo is just in a better position to afford a failed console than Sega was back then as Nintendo does very well with it's portables and mobile gaming. Dreamcast is my favorite console of all time though.
Old 12-21-2015, 12:15 PM   #55
Blu-ray Count

Sep 2008
Vancouver, B.C.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChadFL View Post
The Wii U is a dead end for Nintendo. It's far too late for them to salvage that console. The NX is something they have no choice but to do sooner rather than later. Hopefully Nintendo can bounce back from the Wii/Wii U era strongly with the NX and bring back third party developers to Nintendo consoles.
Consoles usually only last 4-6 years before they introduced their next. Yeah, their focus will be next years launch I'm sure.

Specs are probably on par or a little under PS4's system.
[Show spoiler]Just without an optical drive. Karts for the Win, Home/Mobile
Old 12-21-2015, 12:28 PM   #56
Blu-ray Champion

Feb 2011

Quote:
Karts
Please stop this. This isn't Mortal Kombat. You're abbreviating CARTRIDGE.
Thanks given by:
Naiera (12-22-2015)
Old 12-21-2015, 02:16 PM   #57
Blu-ray Guru

Apr 2011

Quote:

Sony knows their audience. They know their fanbase will just buy the game again and again so why bother to include free backwards compatibility when they can make profit off it?

P.S. PS4 does not have PS2 BC, it's PS2 emulation for specific games that they pick. I can't wait for PS5 to be out and then we'll have Sony announce PS2 "BC" which will be the same thing all over again.

Quote:
Worse than Dreamcast actually. The Wii U actually took longer to hit 10 million sold than the Dreamcast. Nintendo is just in a better position to afford a failed console than Sega was back then as Nintendo does very well with it's portables and mobile gaming. Dreamcast is my favorite console of all time though.
And that's how I meant it.
Old 12-21-2015, 09:30 PM   #58
Blu-ray Archduke

Dec 2009
Daytona Beach, FL

Quote:
Consoles usually only last 4-6 years before they introduced their next. Yeah, their focus will be next years launch I'm sure.

Specs are probably on par or a little under PS4's system.
[Show spoiler]Just without an optical drive. Karts for the Win, Home/Mobile
If there's no physical media I'm out. It's simply a non starter for me. I don't care if it's cartridges or disc but I have to have physical media
Old 12-21-2015, 10:25 PM   #59
Blu-ray Count

Sep 2008
Vancouver, B.C.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dyne View Post
Please stop this. This isn't Mortal Kombat. You're abbreviating CARTRIDGE.

That's the #1 concern here.
Thanks given by:
ChadFL (12-22-2015)
Old 12-22-2015, 07:39 AM   #60
Blu-ray Knight

Dec 2010

Quote:
If there's no physical media I'm out. It's simply a non starter for me. I don't care if it's cartridges or disc but I have to have physical media
why cartridges? did I miss something?

what if the games were released as amibos? you put a toy on top of the console and enjoy the game

the only reason I don't see them going this route, is that they won't be able to sell multiple toys for each game anymore, unless they sell levels separately, like Disney Infinity
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Gaming > Nintendo > Wii U