Best Wii U Game Deals

Best Wii U Game Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | New deals  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Australia Japan
Game Party Champions (Wii U)
$12.37

Splatoon (Wii U)
$33.00

Skylanders: Trap Team (Wii U)
$99.99

Lego Jurassic World (Wii U)
$9.79

Just Dance 2016 (Wii U)
$9.97

Star Fox Zero (Wii U)
$9.15

What's your next favorite movie?
Join our movie community to find out

Image from: Life of Pi (2012)

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Gaming > Nintendo > Wii U

Old 10-28-2017, 11:13 PM   #1

Sep 2011
Elk Grove, California
Default Still worth it?

I've never owned a Wii U, and after playing Breath of the Wild I eagerly want to finally play Wind Waker HD and a bunch of other Wii U games as well. Would it still be worth it to pick one up?
Old 10-29-2017, 02:10 AM   #2
Banned

Feb 2015

Quote:
Originally Posted by YouGotMeFeelingBlu View Post
I've never owned a Wii U, and after playing Breath of the Wild I eagerly want to finally play Wind Waker HD and a bunch of other Wii U games as well. Would it still be worth it to pick one up?
If you can get it cheap, then sure. There's still a lot of good games for it, and some good ports of last-gen games like Deus Ex: Human Revolution.
Old 10-29-2017, 02:30 AM   #3
Blu-ray Guru

Nov 2011

Hopefully soon they will offer the older Zelda titles, and others, in the eshop
Old 10-29-2017, 10:35 PM   #4

Mar 2012

I did this 2 months ago and I am using the Wii U a lot. I am not a Zelda fan though. I currently have 4 games on the go and have played loads of Mario kart 8 and splatoon (great original title by Nintendo, such fun) online (30 hrs each), they are both still thriving online and the Wii u has no cost for online gaming. The 2 other games are Super Mario 3D World and Captain Toad. I got all games cheap from music magpie pre owned, you have to keep looking and prices fluctuate, they were all between Ģ7 to Ģ10 each.

I got the basic white Wii u and have a 32gb usb stick plugged into it.

The new Mario game is getting amazing reviews, but 3D world is superb in its right.

I don’t own a switch and previously owned a Wii u in Jan 2014

Last edited by orac1971; 10-30-2017 at 12:15 AM.
Old 12-04-2017, 02:41 PM   #5
Blu-ray Guru

Oct 2008
Thornton, CO

Buy a Switch instead, no point in buying a dead console at this point when the game you want to play most is on the new one.
Old 12-04-2017, 04:58 PM   #6
Banned

Feb 2015

Quote:
Originally Posted by SlaughterX View Post
Buy a Switch instead, no point in buying a dead console at this point when the game you want to play most is on the new one.
He has a Switch. He already played BOTW, now he wants to play Wind Waker, which isn't on Switch.
Old 12-04-2017, 05:47 PM   #7
Blu-ray Knight

Dec 2010

no, just wait for the inevitable port
Old 12-04-2017, 06:23 PM   #8
Blu-ray Guru

Oct 2008
Thornton, CO

Ohh, well if there are several Wii U exclusives he wants to play and can find it for a good price... sure, why not.
Old 12-21-2017, 10:17 PM   #9
Blu-ray Champion

Mar 2008
The Grid

Wait to get it for the right price then deff is worth jumping in. There is a very nice library of games to play here and a large number can be had quite cheaply.
Old 01-11-2018, 06:55 PM   #10

Jan 2018

I sold my Wii U last week. Starting to regret it...
Old 01-11-2018, 07:44 PM   #11
Blu-ray Archduke

Dec 2009
Daytona Beach, FL

Quote:
Originally Posted by sebcl21 View Post
I think selling a Wii U, especially complete in box is a mistake if for no other reason than value. I like the Wii, the Wii U never sold well. There were only like 13 million Wii U consoles ever sold making it a good collectors item. I've noticed at retro stores complete in box Wii U consoles are already going for $250 and up. Brand new ones are going for over $500. I only wish I'd bought a few extra consoles before they went out of stock everywhere.
Old 01-27-2018, 06:37 PM   #12
Blu-ray Ninja

Dec 2013
Gotham City

Quote:
Originally Posted by sebcl21 View Post
I regret selling mine even though I rarely used it. But at least it seems Nintendo has/will port some of the games I played to Nintendo Switch (Mario Kart 8, Donkey Kong Tropical Freeze). I'm hoping that trend continues (I need Zelda Windwaker) then I won't regret the sale no more.
Old 12-30-2018, 01:45 PM   #13

Jan 2017
Germany

Actually thinking about buying a Wii U right know; bought the Switch last year, thinking this could finally be the all in one Nintendo product in HD for me. My last Nintendo console was actually the N64. After that I just had to change to Sonys PS, because I had to budget on only one console per generation and Nintendo couldnīt be the one, they were just so far behind and werenīt usable as some kind of media center. But during the last few years I always hoped there would be a console from Nintendo again, which would concentrate on the games purely, not those gimmicks after gimmicks after gimmicks. For me the Switch comes close to that, because itīs at least meeting the HD standard and I can use the Pro-Controller for most of the games, not beeing forced to motion controls mostly. So for my taste, they cannot give me enough ports, because I missed everything after the N64. But we are now almost two years within the life-circle of the Switch and there is no Virtual Console and nothing from the area between SNES - Wii has been released at all on the Switch. I really hoped that Nintendo would realise that many nostalgic former 90s Gamer would have returned to the Switch and Nintendo after years of appsense and would flood us with retro-aimed releases of their big titles from all decades, at least via the eShop. But nothing. Right now, I would guess my best shot for those could still be the Wii U. The eShop is still working for the Wii U, right ? Also I would like to try out former versions of games I fell in love with on the Switch, like Splatoon. Sadly there has never been a big last sale regarding the Wii Uīs cancellation, at least to my knowledge. Donīt know, if I should still stay patience for some kind of virtual console on the Switch itself, or try to pick up a Wii U. The Wii U also plays Wii games, right ? Maybe the combination Wii U / Switch would make sense after all for me...

Last edited by mep; 12-30-2018 at 01:51 PM.
Old 01-03-2019, 03:11 PM   #14
Special Member

Aug 2015

Wii games do work on the Wii U. The eshop is still functional on the Wii U including virtual console games. A downside is that if you buy a virtual console game, you can only play it on the Wii U, and it's tied to that Wii U, not your account. You might also want to look at the NES and SNES classic minis if your main interest is older games. Splatoon is fun as hell, even single player. Super Mario U and Super Mario 3D World are also great games I played on the Wii U that you can't play anywhere else. The default controller is the very clunky gamepad, so you will have to buy a pro controller separately if you want that. Some games have sections that require using the gamepad though.
Old 03-24-2019, 10:43 PM   #15
Blu-ray Grand Duke

Jan 2014
Philadelphia, PA

I'm about to get one, but mainly for Wii games. It's not much more than a Wii to get one honestly, and that way I get the Zelda remasters and Mario 3D World. I think everything else I'd want is on Switch. But like I said... if you want a "Wii machine" anyway for all the classics on that platform, it's worth the added expense I think.
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Gaming > Nintendo > Wii U