Best Anime Deals

Best Blu-ray Movie Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | New deals  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Australia Netherlands Japan Mexico
Goblin Slayer: Goblin's Crown (Blu-ray)
$19.99

Attack on Titan: Season 3 (Blu-ray)
$34.99

To Love-Ru Darkness: Complete Collection (Blu-ray)
$46.49

One Piece: Collection 26 (Blu-ray)
$28.99

Bofuri: I Don't Want to Get Hurt, so I'll Max Out My Defense - Season 1 (Blu-ray)
$49.99

Hero Mask (Blu-ray)
$59.98

Muv-Luv Alternative Total Eclipse: Collection 2 (Blu-ray)
$28.97
3 hrs ago
Elfen Lied: Complete Collection (Blu-ray)
$27.69

Final Fantasy VII: Advent Children Complete 4K (Blu-ray)
$29.45

Earwig and the Witch (Blu-ray)
$16.33

Kaiji: The Complete Series (Blu-ray)
$60.93

Hajime No Ippo the Fighting! Fighting Spirit Collection 02 (Blu-ray)
$46.49
1 day ago
What's your next favorite movie?
Join our movie community to find out

Image from: Life of Pi (2012)

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Anime

Old 04-08-2021, 04:16 PM   #481
Blu-ray Duke

Jun 2013
-
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by MazeRunner View Post
Where will this be in IMAX at???

All the IMAX's i know within 8 hours of me are showing Mortal Kombat in imax
Doesn't look like my local Cinemark has an IMAX option
Old 04-08-2021, 05:46 PM   #482
Power Member

Jan 2020
Indianapolis, IN.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MazeRunner View Post
Where will this be in IMAX at???

All the IMAX's i know within 8 hours of me are showing Mortal Kombat in imax
In Indiana, there is only one showing at 7:00pm on April 22nd for IMAX at two different theaters. It appears itís slim pickings for IMAX screenings.
Old 04-08-2021, 11:57 PM   #483
Blu-ray Champion

Apr 2016

The nearest theatre showing this will be 2 hours away. All small screens (but with recliners) because it was an AMC classic (formerly Carmike) attached to a mall so the low ceilings = small screens. It had the crappiest seats as an amc classic and it closed, a smaller chain bought it and remodeled.

No idea why my local theatre won't show it despite them having a million screens and being probably the biggest theatre in my state.
Old 04-09-2021, 04:15 PM   #484

Feb 2020
Somewhere in Canada

According to Wikipedia, Demon Slayer: Mugen Train is now the third highest grossing film of 2020!

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/2020_in_film
Old 04-09-2021, 04:52 PM   #485
Blu-ray Samurai

Mar 2015
Minnesota, USA

Meanwhile BoxOfficeMojo is ridiculously behind... I still absolutely hate what IMDb did with it in October 2019 (ruined the design, removed the adjuster, put many features behind the $150 a year IMDbPro paywall, and others removed entirely).
https://www.boxofficemojo.com/year/world/2020/

Anyway, it's got a good shot at being #1, it just needs $31 million which seems quite doable, especially if it gets that China release.
Thanks given by:
Tylerfan (04-09-2021)
Old 04-09-2021, 11:53 PM   #486
Blu-ray Duke

Jun 2013
-
-

Tickets for Mugen Train are now officially available for sale

https://twitter.com/DemonSlayerUSA/s...36277276233730
Old 04-11-2021, 01:07 PM   #487
Blu-ray Duke

Jun 2008
down at Fraggle Rock

I don't get why this isn't mixed in 7.1, Dolby Atmos or IMAX 12-channel sound - if you're making a movie go whole hog in audio mixing - oh well, I'm tempted to see this in either IMAX or on a Cinemark XD screen.
Old 04-11-2021, 05:45 PM   #488
Blu-ray Knight

Apr 2017
Southeast Michigan, USA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dubstar View Post
I don't get why this isn't mixed in 7.1, Dolby Atmos or IMAX 12-channel sound - if you're making a movie go whole hog in audio mixing - oh well, I'm tempted to see this in either IMAX or on a Cinemark XD screen.
Because anime is cheaply produced, and Japanese fans generally donít have surround setups at home, nor do most cinemas there have Atmos. It costs way too much to do that when very few will utilize it.
Thanks given by:
BigOnAnime (04-11-2021), Footlong Shoe (04-11-2021)
Old 04-11-2021, 05:51 PM   #489
Blu-ray Samurai

Mar 2015
Minnesota, USA

One must always keep in mind how much smaller Japanese living spaces typically are. This is also why it's rare for anime TV series to be 5.1 as well. Here's an Answerman article that touches on that while also explaining how 5.1 upmixes for dubs were made (only FUNimation still does this anymore, sometimes Sentai does it but very rarely). He did other articles on this subject as well, but I can't easily find them.
Quote:
Quote:
I've noticed that many US disc releases of anime titles (especially in the past decade) have English dub tracks that were listed as having 5.1 or "Dolby Digital" English audio, which would lead one to believe that it features "surround sound." However, the Japanese audio tracks are usually only stereo, and the discs sold in Japan are usually only stereo as well, so I presume that the US licensors would only have stereo M&E (music & effects) tracks to work from. It sounds like it'd be an enormous amount of work to make a proper 5.1 mix out of them, if that's even possible. With that being the case, are the English tracks that are listed as "5.1" really that? Is there anything special about them over a basic stereo track, and what kind of extra effort is being put into them, if any?
Japan normally doesn't do 5.1 surround mixes for their TV shows. Only high-end OVAs and movies get that treatment. But in the early days of DVDs in the US, the ability to have 5.1 was considered a huge selling point of the format. People that could afford it would spend a lot of money tricking out their home theaters with 6 speakers -- 3 in front, two in back and a subwoofer on the floor -- and would really enjoy the immersive effect. It was especially important for action movies.

It's important to note here that while 5.1 tracks and "Dolby Digital" were often used in the same sentence, they are not the same thing. 5.1 is what we call having discreet 6-channel audio (the 5 speakers plus the ".1" of the subwoofer), as opposed to Stereo, which is just two channels (left and right). Dolby Digital, or AC3, is just the compression format it's stored in, like MP3. (There are others too, like DTS.) Dolby Digital sound was heavily marketed in the early days of DVD, with publishers often including annoying 3D logos for the format on their discs. It wasn't special -- nearly every DVD uses Dolby Digital. But just because something is in Dolby Digital doesn't mean it's in 5.1.

Anyway, lots of US anime publishers spent a lot of money making 5.1 mixes for their dubs. They generally left the original Japanese audio tracks alone, but since they were directly in charge of the dubs, and those dubs needed to be mixed anyway, they decided to pay the extra money and have those dubs finished in 5.1.

Mixing in 5.1 isn't very different than mixing in stereo, but it does require a lot more expensive equipment and an engineer that knows what they're doing. When recording a dub, each individual element is laid out in a digital audio workstation software, like ProTools. Every element is given its own separate "track", much like how every element of a piece of art is on a separate layer in Photoshop. Every character has its own track, music has its own tracks (usually two, 'cause it's stereo), and sound effects get their own tracks.

After everything is recorded and laid out, a mixer will go through the whole show and "position" each audio element according to the speakers. Most characters are speaking from directly on-screen, so they come out of the center channel. Music usually goes on the front left and front right speakers. And sound effects could come from any direction, according to what's happening on-screen. Additionally, some effects can add an echo, so something that might come strongly out of some speakers might echo slightly from their opposite speakers. All of this is done to give the sound a feeling of space, and of realistically re-creating the acoustics of a scene.

With a stereo mix, each element can only come from the left or the right speaker, so a mixer really only has to decide how far off-center to put each element. With 5.1, they suddenly have a lot more options. (Newer technologies, like Dolby Atmos, adds even more directionality.) There's an art to it, and a mixer can do a really amazing job or get lazy at this step. Finally, once every sound is positioned and effects are added, they "bounce," or export, the final mix to 6 separate audio files, which are then re-combined with the picture.

The anime publishers eventually learned that, while 5.1 was a nice thing to have on a disc, it wasn't a make-or-break thing, and having a 5.1 track didn't really make people buy a show when they weren't going to already. So after a few years, 5.1 tracks became a luxury -- much like Japan, only being used for movies and high-profile titles. But for a few years in the early 2000s, a huge percentage of anime DVDs had 5.1 dub tracks.

So, how DO you make a 5.1 dub mix when the original version itself is only in stereo? There are two ways. The first method is called up-mixing, which is that you use software (such as NUGEN Audio's Halo Upmix, or Waves DTS Neural Surround Upmix) to artificially expand a finished stereo dub to 5.1. This is surprisingly difficult to do, because once an audio track is mixed, you really can't easily separate the different elements again. This software gets around that by analyzing the audio and trying to figure out what everything is. They generally it try to keep all the dialogue coming from the front speakers, and expand everything else to fill the room without making anything very directional (because, obviously, the software has no idea what's actually happening on-screen).

The quality of these upmixes varies greatly (and snobs call this "fake 5.1") but they're never as good as a "native" 5.1 mix. Also, most home theater gear has built-in technology like Dolby Pro-Logic or DTS NEO that attempts to do similar upmixes right in your own home, when you're watching the program. If an engineer performing an upmix wants to really go the extra mile, he or she can add in new sound effects that really make use of directionality, but that's very labor intensive, and Japan might not like it. So, the end result is seldom much better than having a plain old stereo track. Manga Entertainment used to do a lot of upmixes, but these days most companies don't bother.

If a dub is being newly recorded, or all of the unmixed "stems" of each track were saved, it's possible to make a new mix in "real" 5.1. Dialogue tracks, obviously, are all separate elements and can be freely positioned in a mix. However, if the Japanese-provided music and effects tracks (M&E's) were sent as pre-mixed stereo, there's not a whole lot that can be done with those, particularly if background music and sound effects are mashed together. The mixer won't be able to position the sound effects without also shuffling the music from speaker to speaker. Luckily, these days it's much more common for music and sound effects to be delivered separately, which gives a mixer enough freedom to position all of the individual elements in a realistic way.

A good 5.1 mix can really add a lot to a viewing experience. A bad mix will just sort of lay there. Of course, these days, half of us are watching anime on a phone or tablet, so 5.1 mixes are something we probably wouldn't even notice.
https://www.animenewsnetwork.com/ans...-07-02/.133672

Last edited by BigOnAnime; 04-11-2021 at 06:00 PM.
Old 04-11-2021, 06:02 PM   #490
Blu-ray Champion

Feb 2015
Beyond the Blue Horizon

It's the mix that matters. Not how many channels it will come out of.
Thanks given by:
Kyle15 (04-13-2021), professorwho (04-11-2021)
Old 04-11-2021, 08:30 PM   #491

Jun 2019

Quote:
Originally Posted by professorwho View Post
Because anime is cheaply produced, and Japanese fans generally donít have surround setups at home, nor do most cinemas there have Atmos. It costs way too much to do that when very few will utilize it.
at least it has LPCM 5.1 good 'nough for me, don't have atmos anywho
Old 04-11-2021, 08:50 PM   #492
Blu-ray Champion

Apr 2016

Got my 2 tickets for Thursday April 22. Traveling 2 hours for it in a smaller theatre. Better be worth it since after online booking fees it was $27 for 2 tickets.

besides 2 tickets sold behind us.. looks like every showtime for the rest of the week hasn't sold any tickets at this theatre.
Old 04-11-2021, 08:56 PM   #493
Blu-ray Ninja

Jul 2015
Minneapolis

It depends on where you live, but most people here are definitely not back to visiting the movie theater. It wouldn't have even been a consideration for pretty much anyone I associate with. But I've had my first vaccination, have my second shot on Apr 21st, and have plans to go see Mugen Train with one of my buddies.
Old 04-11-2021, 10:49 PM   #494
Blu-ray Duke

Jun 2013
-
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nothing371 View Post
It depends on where you live, but most people here are definitely not back to visiting the movie theater. It wouldn't have even been a consideration for pretty much anyone I associate with. But I've had my first vaccination, have my second shot on Apr 21st, and have plans to go see Mugen Train with one of my buddies.
I'm just gonna wait for Blu-ray I think. I don't feel any urgency to see the movie. Already waited this long after the Japanese release, whats another couple of months?
Old 04-12-2021, 12:10 AM   #495
Blu-ray Samurai

Jun 2015
Great White North

^^ Our theatres tried to get back up and running but then "wave 3" hit, so that was short lived. Don't think we'll see any open 'til Summer now.

I'll be waiting for the Blu regardless.
Old 04-12-2021, 04:57 PM   #496
Blu-ray Duke

Jun 2008
down at Fraggle Rock

Quote:
Originally Posted by professorwho View Post
So really the IMAX is just a cash grab ... sigh ... whatever
Old 04-12-2021, 08:38 PM   #497
Power Member

Jan 2020
Indianapolis, IN.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dubstar View Post
So really the IMAX is just a cash grab ... sigh ... whatever
IMAX in general is almost always a cash grab.
Thanks given by:
InuYashaCrusade (04-12-2021), professorwho (04-12-2021)
Old 04-12-2021, 09:16 PM   #498
Blu-ray Count

Jun 2012
Denmark

I've seen one movie in IMAX. Blade Runner 2049.

Not a cash grab

(but I'm sure that most showings are)

Last edited by Naiera; 04-12-2021 at 09:36 PM.
Thanks given by:
gloomranger (04-12-2021), portishead (04-13-2021)
Old 04-12-2021, 10:00 PM   #499
Blu-ray Duke

Jun 2008
down at Fraggle Rock

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigOnAnime View Post
One must always keep in mind how much smaller Japanese living spaces typically are. This is also why it's rare for anime TV series to be 5.1 as well. Here's an Answerman article that touches on that while also explaining how 5.1 upmixes for dubs were made (only FUNimation still does this anymore, sometimes Sentai does it but very rarely). He did other articles on this subject as well, but I can't easily find them.https://www.animenewsnetwork.com/ans...-07-02/.133672
that's a fascinating read - thanks, the one series that really used the chance to be mixed in 5.1 and succeeded in my mind was 'Blue Submarine No. 6' - I'm sure there are others, but that one thoroughly impressed me.
Thanks given by:
sagadego (04-12-2021)
Old 04-12-2021, 10:01 PM   #500
Blu-ray Duke

Jun 2008
down at Fraggle Rock

Quote:
Originally Posted by InuYashaCrusade View Post
Doesn't look like my local Cinemark has an IMAX option
a couple of Cinemark's in the Washington DC metro area are showing this on their XD screens, I might check them out since they are Barco 4K laser projector systems.
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Anime