Best Blu-ray Movie Deals

Best Blu-ray Movie Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | New deals  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Australia Japan
Once Upon a Time in Hollywood 4K (Blu-ray)
$24.55
7 hrs ago
Fast & Furious Presents: Hobbs & Shaw 4K (Blu-ray)
$14.99

Batman: The Complete Animated Series (Blu-ray)
$41.99

Doom Patrol: The Complete First Season (Blu-ray)
$14.99
6 hrs ago
The Hunger Games: Complete 4-Film Collection (Blu-ray)
$19.99
2 hrs ago
The Flash: The Complete Fifth Season (Blu-ray)
$17.99
1 hr ago
Spider-Man: Far from Home / Spider-Man: Homecoming / Spider-Man: Into the Spider-Verse / Venom (Blu-ray)
$37.99
5 hrs ago
Twin Peaks: From Z to A (Blu-ray)
$121.79

Batman: 80th Anniversary 18-Film Collection (Blu-ray)
$49.96

Universal Classic Monsters: The Essential Collection (Blu-ray)
$29.99

50 Years of Planet of the Apes: 9-Movie Collection (Blu-ray)
$29.99

Supernatural: The Complete Fourteenth Season (Blu-ray)
$17.99
4 hrs ago
What's your next favorite movie?
Join our movie community to find out

Image from: Life of Pi (2012)

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Audio > Subwoofers

Old 01-21-2009, 10:51 AM   #1
Blu-ray Champion

Jan 2008
Southern California
Default The Official Polk Audio Subwoofer Owners Thread

Please discuss your Polk Audio subwoofers in this thread. You can include pictures, reviews, or any other comments regarding your subwoofer.

Manufacturer’s Website: http://www.polkaudio.com/homeaudio/p...al/subwoofers/
Old 01-21-2009, 11:38 AM   #2

Aug 2008
Pacific Northwest

This is my POLK - PSW-125 ! It fits into my system vary well !! It's A 12" (It is A vary good sub .

Last edited by crazyBLUE; 01-22-2009 at 11:11 AM.
Old 01-21-2009, 11:47 AM   #3
Blu-ray Champion

Jan 2008
Southern California

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazyBLUE View Post
This is my POLK - PSW-125 ! It fits into my system vary well !! It's A 12" downfiring sub .
CrazyBlue,

Don't you ever sleep? Just because I am awake, it doesn't mean you should stay up too. I am organizing the Subwoofer review threads.
Old 01-21-2009, 11:52 AM   #4

Aug 2008
Pacific Northwest

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Daddy View Post
CrazyBlue,

Don't you ever sleep? Just because I am awake, it doesn't mean you should stay up too. I am organizing the Subwoofer review threads.
SLEEP ! ( WHAT'S THAT ) ??
Old 01-21-2009, 12:35 PM   #5

Dec 2007

I like the idea of the separate sub manufacturer threads. This will be very helpful for those like me who are stuck and do not know which sub to go with. The most difficult part of my decision is that I can't find a place to audition most of the subwoofers that I am interested in.

Anyway, I hope to see someone who owns a DSW Pro series and another person who owns a DSW Micropro series post in here and share their thoughts.
Old 01-21-2009, 03:09 PM   #6

Dec 2007

So to the owners of Polk Subs and to those that own other subs, what are your thoughts on this? Should I take advantage of the price drop? Would it be a good value for performance?

http://www.amazon.com/Polk-Audio-Mic...549814&sr=1-26

Description from Polk Audio website:
http://www.polkaudio.com/homeaudio/dsw/#dswmicropro1000

My room is small and either a 10" sub or a dual 8" would work out great.
Old 01-21-2009, 03:10 PM   #7
Blu-ray Ninja

Mar 2008
Milwaukee, WI

Quote:
This is my POLK - PSW-125 ! It fits into my system vary well !! It's A 12" downfiring sub .

Uhm, that's not a downfiring sub...
Old 01-22-2009, 12:50 AM   #8

Aug 2008
Pacific Northwest

Quote:
Originally Posted by aramis109 View Post
Uhm, that's not a downfiring sub...
sorry you're right the base port is at the btm. That's what I get for being up at 3 am ! IT's Big Daddy's falt ! ( changed)

Last edited by crazyBLUE; 01-22-2009 at 11:13 AM.
Old 01-22-2009, 12:51 AM   #9
Blu-ray Champion

Jan 2008
Southern California

Quote:
sorry you're right the base port is at the btm. That's what I get for being up at 3 am ! IT's Big Daddy's falt !
I am Superman. You are just the Ironman.
Old 01-22-2009, 01:08 AM   #10

Aug 2008
Pacific Northwest

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Daddy View Post
I am Superman. You are just the Ironman.
Old 05-29-2009, 06:43 AM   #11
Blu-ray Guru

Dec 2008
'Western' N.Y. State (MEMBER OF THE "ECPP")™
Default Couldn't wait for my "weekend" PSW125 polyfill project.

Edited after some corrective measures:

I couldn't wait, so I did it tonight. I bought two 16-ounce bags of polyfill and carefully added about 2/3 one of the bags to my Polk Audio PSW125. I bought two bags because they were only $2.47 for each bag (Walmart).

I have always enjoyed my PSW125, and now I enjoy it little more, with a detectably smoother, more "settled" response, and without a doubt it has to do with a reduction in enclosure coloration. I also added a little less than 1/8 of a turn of gain on the sub's volume control dial.

However, today, when I was able to turn up the volume appreciably, I noticed the very lowest response of the sub was clearly missing. I figured that, although I didn't pack the enclosure tightly with polyfill, I still added too much, and it was affecting port conduction. I removed all of the fill, returning the equivalent of about ¼ of a single 16-ounce bag. I was glad for the downward-firing port, which allowed the neat placing of the polyfill on the exposed MDF floor of the enclosure.

My lowest response was restored, and I feel that I am still benefitting from the polyfill treatment of my PSW125!

Like CB, I also took photos to document the process (love doing that). The initial addition of polyfill was rather easy to do and was completely done in less than 15 minutes. My removal and replacement process took about five minutes.

Interestingly, I added polyfill to my Polk Audio CSi25 center channel as well, and it's interesting how the response of the speaker has changed - again for the better.

I've been wanting to upgrade to a CS20 center channel speaker, and am waiting for a good deal on one. In the meantime, my CSi25 is not a bad center channel, but at times the dialogue sounded a touch "boxy." I used my Pioneer Elite SC-05's 9-band channel equalizer to compensate for the spike in the low-mid range, where the occasional "boxiness" occurs, but it's hard to escape enclosure-related resonance problems completely.

Adding the polyfill to my CSi25 has essentially eliminated that phenomenon. It hasn't transformed it into the perfect center channel, but it most definitely moved it up a few solid notches.

I still won't be dissuaded from upgrading to that CS20 when a sale is ripe, though!

Thanks again to CB and BD for all the inspiration and accurate information!

Last edited by Rob J in WNY; 05-29-2009 at 10:54 PM.
Old 05-29-2009, 01:20 PM   #12

Jan 2009
Positioning myself in front of the crease, getting slashed behind the knees by Billy Smith! :(

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob J in WNY View Post
I couldn't wait, so I did it tonight. I bought two 16-ounce bags of polyfill and carefully added about 2/3 one of the bags to my Polk Audio PSW125. I bought two bags because they were only $2.47 for each bag (Walmart).

I have always enjoyed my PSW125, and now I enjoy it little more, with a detectably smoother, more "settled" response, and without a doubt it has to do with a reduction in enclosure coloration. I also added a little less than 1/8 of a turn of gain on the sub's volume control dial.

Like CB, I also took photos to document the process (love doing that). It was rather easy to do and was completely done in less than 15 minutes.

Interestingly, I added polyfill to my Polk Audio CSi25 center channel as well, and it's interesting how the response of the speaker has changed - again for the better.

I've been wanting to upgrade to a CS20 center channel speaker, and am waiting for a good deal on one. In the meantime, my CSi25 is not a bad center channel, but at times the dialogue sounded a touch "boxy." I used my Pioneer Elite SC-05's 9-band channel equalizer to compensate for the spike in the low-mid range, where the occasional "boxiness" occurs, but it's hard to escape enclosure-related resonance problems completely.

Adding the polyfill to my CSi25 has essentially eliminated that phenomenon. It hasn't transformed it into the perfect center channel, but it most definitely moved it up a few solid notches.

I still won't be dissuaded from upgrading to that CS20 when a sale is ripe, though!

Thanks again to CB and BD for all the inspiration and accurate information!
Rob, do think the "boxiness" sound you were getting from your center was more to blame on the cabinet or it's location? I ask because DonRSD put some pollyfill in his CS1 to get rid of the same thing in his center due to it being located within an enclosed part of his entertainment center. I see your entertainment center is quite open as mine is, so I wasn't considering doing this because my center being in the "open". However, if you think it had more to due with the quality of the center and not with the location of the center channel, then perhaps I will reconsider and add some pollyfill to my center.
Old 05-29-2009, 03:41 PM   #13
Blu-ray Ninja

Jan 2008
Tampa Bay, Florida

I added some Polyfill to my Onkyo center channel when I was hearing some port chuffing in my living room and noticed a pretty big difference overall in sound with it. You should all do it.
Old 05-29-2009, 03:42 PM   #14

Jan 2009
Positioning myself in front of the crease, getting slashed behind the knees by Billy Smith! :(

Quote:
Originally Posted by Driver_King View Post
I added some Polyfill to my Onkyo center channel when I was hearing some port chuffing in my living room and noticed a pretty big difference overall in sound with it. You should all do it.
Driver_King, you just stuffed the port right? Or did you actually take it apart?
Old 05-29-2009, 03:50 PM   #15
Blu-ray Ninja

Jan 2008
Tampa Bay, Florida

Yeah, I just shoved it in there.
Old 05-29-2009, 11:24 PM   #16
Blu-ray Guru

Dec 2008

Quote:
Originally Posted by forsberg21 View Post
Rob, do think the "boxiness" sound you were getting from your center was more to blame on the cabinet or it's location? I ask because DonRSD put some pollyfill in his CS1 to get rid of the same thing in his center due to it being located within an enclosed part of his entertainment center. I see your entertainment center is quite open as mine is, so I wasn't considering doing this because my center being in the "open". However, if you think it had more to due with the quality of the center and not with the location of the center channel, then perhaps I will reconsider and add some pollyfill to my center.
Forsberg,

Thanks for your input.

Indeed, the build-quality of my CSi25 is the culprit. It has always been a touch "boxy" on certain low, male vocals (Tommy Lee Jones is a good example). There is some sort of low-mid resonance which comes up on occasion, and although few people would notice, I do.

I have kept my center on both the top of an entertainment center (from my setup a few years ago) to where it is now. It has always had its curious resonation. Again, it's not bad by any means, but a noticeable mark of the CSi25's limit of quality.

As you have alluded, I would say that an unconstrained location for a center channel is the best way to situate it. I have mine pushed very far ward to thwart potential cavity-resonance coloration.

I looked at DonRSD's gallery, and yes, the baffle of his CS2 does seem to be back a bit far. Even that little bit of distance tucked in can create cavity resonances - likely more noticeable at off-axis listening locations. I would suggest bringing the front baffle of his CS2 at least even with the front of the cabinet. Maybe even further out if possible - even if by only a half-inch. If his center channel resonance-issues are caused by it sitting too far back, then the polyfill won't help, as the cause of the audio coloration is not inherent to the speaker itself, but because of augmentation of the sound after it is radiated.

The polyfill has put a huge kabosh on the undesired box resonance on my CSi25. I am more pleased with how it sounds now, but as I mentioned, I'm sure I'll jump on a good deal for a Polk CS20!
Old 05-30-2009, 02:36 AM   #17

Jul 2008
Jacksonville, FL

I have the PSW-111, anyone ever added polyfill to one of these? Yesterday I took a bit of advice from Big Daddy and bought a Y-adapter for my sub & it did add a bit more sound to my system.
Old 05-30-2009, 02:41 AM   #18

Aug 2008
Pacific Northwest

Quote:
Originally Posted by Digital-Man View Post
I have the PSW-111, anyone ever added polyfill to one of these? Yesterday I took a bit of advice from Big Daddy and bought a Y-adapter for my sub & it did add a bit more sound to my system.
It really does not matter what sub you have , It will help the sound that the sub produces !!
Old 05-30-2009, 02:45 AM   #19
Blu-ray Champion

Jan 2008
Southern California

Quote:
Originally Posted by Digital-Man View Post
Add polyfill to it, but don't over stuff it too tightly. It only costs a few dollars and 15 minutes of your time. If you don't like the results, you can remove them. Make sure you buy the fire retardant type. Try Wal-Mart craft and fabric department or any craft or fabric stores where they sell material for stuffed pillows and dolls.
Old 06-07-2009, 03:20 PM   #20
Blu-ray Guru

Dec 2008

Quote:
Nice pic Rob . I know what you're sub sounds like now !!
No doubt! I saw your post on settling, and I would imagine that I might crack mine open to check again soon!
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Audio > Subwoofers