Best Anime Deals

Top deals | New deals  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Japan
Grave of the Fireflies (Blu-ray)
$7.99
19 hrs ago
Cross Ange: Rondo of Angel and Dragon: Complete Series (Blu-ray)
$25.99
18 hrs ago
No Game, No Life Zero (Blu-ray)
$7.99

Seven Heavenly Virtues: Complete Collection (Blu-ray)
$7.99

Armed Girl's Machiavellism: Complete Collection (Blu-ray)
$17.99

GATE: Complete Collection (Blu-ray)
$25.99
23 hrs ago
Monster Musume Everyday Life With Monster Girls: Complete Collection (Blu-ray)
$17.99

Love, Chunibyo & Other Delusions: Seasons 1 & 2 Complete Collection (Blu-ray)
$25.99

Is It Wrong to Try to Pick Up Girls in a Dungeon?: Complete Collection (Blu-ray)
$17.99

Food Wars!: Shokugeki no Soma: The Second Plate Season 2 (Blu-ray)
$17.99

Sailor Moon Super S: Season 4 Part 1 (Blu-ray)
$29.96
20 hrs ago
Non Non Biyori: Complete Collection (Blu-ray)
$20.99
12 hrs ago
What's your next favorite movie?
Join our movie community to find out

Image from: Life of Pi (2012)

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Anime

Old 01-20-2018, 07:04 PM   #41
Blu-ray Samurai

Jul 2012
AZ, USA
Default The Studio Ponoc Discussion Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghornett View Post
Any freebies or extras for the "Premiere event"?

Quote:
Originally Posted by disneywildcat View Post
My theater (Cinemark) had free one sided posters available. It had a tiny Cinemark/Fathom Events logo.

And here’s the poster I got from my Cinemark location the night of the Fathom Events screening.

[Show spoiler]
Thanks given by:
ghornett (01-20-2018), nusilver (01-21-2018)
Old 01-21-2018, 03:15 AM   #42

Nov 2010
Portland, OR

Quote:
Originally Posted by disneywildcat View Post
And here’s the poster I got from my Cinemark location the night of the Fathom Events screening.

[Show spoiler]
Trade you for a souvenir ticket :P
Old 01-21-2018, 03:22 PM   #43

Mar 2017
Mars

I’d like it if studio Ponoc moved away from the rote Ghibli template of little girl discovers a fantastical world. I know it’s based on a book but goddamn it gets old.
Old 01-21-2018, 03:31 PM   #44

Jun 2017

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ajc228 View Post
I’d like it if studio Ponoc moved away from the rote Ghibli template of little girl discovers a fantastical world. I know it’s based on a book but goddamn it gets old.
There are literally tons of other studios that don't do it, so what's the matter if 2 do?
Old 01-21-2018, 04:13 PM   #45

Mar 2017
Mars

Quote:
Originally Posted by nagpo View Post
There are literally tons of other studios that don't do it, so what's the matter if 2 do?
Other studios usually don’t do a lot of feature films that aren’t based on pre-existing franchises( I.E. Pokémon, Dragonball, etc.) I get that’s it’s financially risky but it would be nice to see these studios not limit themselves to a few types of stories. It’s dissapointing because their animators are very talented and it feels like they tend to focus on this type of story alot. I’d just like to see more variation. It’s not a criticism of people who enjoy it.
Old 01-21-2018, 04:36 PM   #46
Blu-ray Knight

May 2014
Amish Farm Country, PA

Well, it's either a female lead or a male lead, one or the other. We do have a few Ghibli movies with male leads - Earthsea, Porco, and Grave, and somewhat Castle in the Sky. There's also some of the pre-Ghibli movies like Cagliostro, Horus, and Gauche with male leads. So, they're not all just Ghibli Princesses...
Old 01-21-2018, 10:24 PM   #47
Blu-ray Guru

Jun 2014

Just got home from seeing the dub and I liked it a lot more than I would after seeing mixed reviews. The dub was actually pretty good and I felt the accents fit the story. They also had kids playing kids which was a nice touch. My friend didn't like it though my little brother loved it.
Old 01-22-2018, 12:13 AM   #48
Blu-ray Knight

May 2014
Amish Farm Country, PA

Yes, the dub was good, better than the majority of the Disney dubs... I mainly just didn't care for the maturity level of the story.
Old 01-22-2018, 05:17 AM   #49

Jun 2017

I was late to the movie, came in at the part where she first meets Peter. Can anyone summarize what I missed please? I just want to get full context of the story before I form my opinion.
Old 01-22-2018, 04:52 PM   #50

Aug 2014
Orlando

Looks like this broke the record for GKIDS box office already.

Link
Old 01-22-2018, 06:08 PM   #51

Feb 2011

I really want to see this film (huge Ghibli fan) and would prefer to see it in Japanese with subtitles. I'm looking on Fandango and one of the theaters that's playing it has the last show at 9:20 listed as "English Subtitles". Can anyone confirm that this is the original language version? I would assume all theaters would be the same in their programming.
Old 01-22-2018, 07:38 PM   #52
Expert Member

Dec 2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by gonzo_fool View Post
I really want to see this film (huge Ghibli fan) and would prefer to see it in Japanese with subtitles. I'm looking on Fandango and one of the theaters that's playing it has the last show at 9:20 listed as "English Subtitles". Can anyone confirm that this is the original language version? I would assume all theaters would be the same in their programming.
Yes, I believe it's the Japanese language version. I believe that the subbed version is shown later than the English dubbed version. At least, in a the New Jersey theater I saw it in, that's how they showed it.
Thanks given by:
gonzo_fool (01-22-2018)
Old 01-22-2018, 08:23 PM   #53

Feb 2011

I remember when Disney/Touchstone released The Wind Rises, I went to a showing that, on Fandango, said it was "English Subtitled" but was actually the dub. I still enjoyed the movie and I had a suspicion before-hand that it wouldn't be the original language version, but a part of me is still a little wary of Fandango for that. I trust GKIDS more than Disney, though.
Old 01-23-2018, 02:09 AM   #54

Jun 2017

I went to the english subtitled and yes, it is japanese language with a english subtitle.

I missed some of the beginning of the film, I entered the theater when she first meets peter but here is my review of sorts with that in mind. My thoughts on the movie were that it was just and okay film. Not up to the Ghibli pedigree. The storytelling wasn't very good and neither was the plot that interesting. I feel like the moral of the story kind of got lost in the midst of things as well, I just couldn't find myself caring all that much about the characters.

The plot was very predictable. It was as if somebody had a checklist of Ghibli tropes they needed to mark off in order to make a Ghibli-like film and the director was intentionally trying to do that. It didn't feel like an original film. It was probably a bad idea to use the same art style in my opinion.

It was funnier than I thought it would have been but lacked any sort of complexity in the story or heavier themes. I believe the director before made Marnie, which was a darker film. This movie felt childish but not in a way that made you nostalgic or anything. You know that feeling you get when watching a really good ghibli movie and you get whisked away in the grand wonderment of it all? This movie didn't have that for me.

I also thought that the CG and digital effects were rather poor and didn't blend well. They really stuck out.

I'd give it a 6/10. I expected a better film considering the people who made it and what they worked on before. I was disappointed.
Old 01-23-2018, 02:46 AM   #55
Blu-ray Guru

Jun 2014

How did you guys feel about the sub? My buddy saw the sub and she felt like the JP cast was not very good.
Old 01-23-2018, 03:06 AM   #56

Jun 2017

Quote:
Originally Posted by pikagreg View Post
How did you guys feel about the sub? My buddy saw the sub and she felt like the JP cast was not very good.
I thought the JP voices were perfectly fine. Subs were suitable as well from what I could tell, took little liberties.
Old 02-11-2018, 10:07 PM   #57
Blu-ray Samurai

Feb 2015
Austin, TX

Mary and the Witch's Flower will have another Fathom Event on Feb 24 & 26
Thanks given by:
Joshitaka (02-13-2018)
Old 02-14-2018, 01:14 AM   #58
Banned

Dec 2017

I don't mind the girl or boy in peril theme at all if it's well done. Mary And The Witches Flower was very well done, sure-there were some lackadaisical parts of the story but it was very much worth watching.
Old 03-19-2018, 08:50 PM   #59
Blu-ray Ninja

Jun 2008
Gothenburg, Sweden

Amazon is shipping this today!
Can't wait to soak in all that HDR-goodness! The trailers make it look like an explosion of colour!
Thanks given by:
alvarez468 (03-20-2018), pikagreg (03-19-2018)
Old 03-20-2018, 02:50 AM   #60

Feb 2014

I'll think I'll wait for the US release with the English Dub.
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Anime