Best Anime Deals

Black Friday Deals Week is Live »
Soon: Ready Player One 3D ()

Top deals | New deals  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Japan
Sword Oratoria: Is It Wrong to Try to Pick Up Girls in a Dungeon? On the Side: Complete Collection (Blu-ray)
$27.99

The Big O: Complete Collection (Blu-ray)
$31.99
16 hrs ago
Monster Musume Everyday Life With Monster Girls: Complete Collection (Blu-ray)
$17.99

Non Non Biyori: Complete Collection (Blu-ray)
$20.99

Princess Principal: Complete Collection (Blu-ray)
$27.99

GATE: Complete Collection (Blu-ray)
$25.99

Is It Wrong to Try to Pick Up Girls in a Dungeon?: Complete Collection (Blu-ray)
$17.99

Sailor Moon Super S: Season 4 Part 1 (Blu-ray)
$29.96

Hitorijime My Hero: Complete Collection (Blu-ray)
$17.99

JoJo's Bizarre Adventure: Set 3 - Stardust Crusaders Battle in Egypt (Blu-ray)
$49.07
18 hrs ago
Tamako Love Story (Blu-ray)
$9.99

Armed Girl's Machiavellism: Complete Collection (Blu-ray)
$17.99

What's your next favorite movie?
Join our movie community to find out

Image from: Life of Pi (2012)

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Anime

Old 03-20-2018, 05:39 AM   #61
Power Member

Dec 2011
The Room of Space and Time

Quote:
Originally Posted by GC Riot View Post
Amazon is shipping this today!
Can't wait to soak in all that HDR-goodness! The trailers make it look like an explosion of colour!
Got my shipping notification earlier, can't wait to get it.[emoji41]

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using Tapatalk
Old 03-20-2018, 09:53 AM   #62
Power Member

Jul 2009
UK

My Blu-ray is in the way, canít wait to see this! Ni No Kuni II finally out this week too!
Old 03-20-2018, 11:40 AM   #63
Blu-ray Knight

May 2014
Amish Farm Country, PA

Well, I never did cancel my pre-order for the JP LE Box set of this, so I guess it's on it's way and I'm stuck with it now, lol... It will arrive Wednesday afternoon. No big excitement about it here. After seeing the movie on it's premier night, I felt it was simply too immature for my tastes, so I was planning to either downgrade my order to just the standard release, or cancel it altogether. Maybe if I watch it again, I'd enjoy it a little more, but I don't think I can warm up to it with how silly and cartoony the action scenes at the school and characters there were. The rest of the movie was fine, typical Ghibli, but the school part of the story pretty much ruined it for me. I hope you guys will all enjoy it more than I did, though.
Thanks given by:
Porco Azzurro (03-20-2018)
Old 03-20-2018, 12:34 PM   #64
Power Member

Jul 2009
UK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Girls With Guns View Post
Well, I never did cancel my pre-order for the JP LE Box set of this, so I guess it's on it's way and I'm stuck with it now, lol... It will arrive Wednesday afternoon. No big excitement about it here. After seeing the movie on it's premier night, I felt it was simply too immature for my tastes, so I was planning to either downgrade my order to just the standard release, or cancel it altogether. Maybe if I watch it again, I'd enjoy it a little more, but I don't think I can warm up to it with how silly and cartoony the action scenes at the school and characters there were. The rest of the movie was fine, typical Ghibli, but the school part of the story pretty much ruined it for me. I hope you guys will all enjoy it more than I did, though.
Pricey thing to forget about ordering!

I hope I enjoy it more than you seem to have, but being a bit childish doesnít sound like it would put me off... weíll see. Is it anything like Panda ko Panda?
Old 03-20-2018, 02:43 PM   #65
Blu-ray Samurai

Nov 2011
UK
-

Box is stunning. Can't wait to watch.

Thanks given by:
alvarez468 (03-20-2018), Anamnesis (03-21-2018), Bandit Tajomaru (03-21-2018), GC Riot (03-20-2018), pikagreg (03-20-2018), Porco Azzurro (03-20-2018), professorwho (03-20-2018), salo_mart (03-23-2018)
Old 03-22-2018, 03:27 PM   #66
Power Member

Jul 2009
UK

Just watched Mary... and I loved it. Glad some people lowered my expectations a little! It was definitely like a love letter to Miyazaki movies in places, but had plenty of wonderful original touches too. I loved the characters and the story, and the animation was Ghibli standard (i.e. excellent). The soundtrack was cool too.

If I had criticisms I think
[Show spoiler]the school felt a little empty later on - I would have liked to have seen more students about other than the introduction scenes
and not knowing the book,
[Show spoiler]it felt like there was another shoe to drop about her parents
... but those are minor, minor nitpicks.

Overall I think it’s a wonderful film. I sat there with a big silly grin on my face the whole time.
Thanks given by:
Sifox211 (05-09-2018)
Old 03-23-2018, 01:18 AM   #67
Blu-ray Samurai

Apr 2017
Southeast Michigan, USA

To anyone who has the JP BD: how are the English subs? I haven't seen this film yet, and am considering getting the Japanese release if the subtitles are of good quality.
Old 03-23-2018, 01:41 AM   #68
Power Member

Jul 2009
UK

Quote:
Originally Posted by professorwho View Post
To anyone who has the JP BD: how are the English subs? I haven't seen this film yet, and am considering getting the Japanese release if the subtitles are of good quality.
Seemed fine to me on first viewing Anything specific you had in mind? I donít remember noticing any obvious typos or awkward phases or anything like that. I donít speak Japanese and I havenít heard the dub so I couldnít comment on accuracy or if they are literal subs or dubtitles, but would be interested to know from anyone else who can answer that in due course.

White text if that bothers you (I know some people prefer yellow; I donít).
Old 03-23-2018, 05:27 AM   #69
Blu-ray Knight

May 2014
Amish Farm Country, PA

Bah! No one likes yellow text for subtitles...

Well, on top of my Mary box getting here a day late due to all the snow we got, it arrived with a crushed corner. The shipping box was accordion-ed up on one end pretty badly. Even though I'm not overly excited about this movie, I went through chat on Amazon JP to get a pre-paid return label to send the damaged one back via DHL, and I have a replacement box set on the way. So I can't even open mine up and look at the pretty stuff inside yet, unfortunately.
Old 04-30-2018, 07:14 PM   #70

Dec 2009
Los Angeles, CA

For fans of pins and/or vinyl: https://twitter.com/MondoNews/status/990999233279987712
Thanks given by:
Heapashifter (04-30-2018)
Old 04-30-2018, 07:42 PM   #71
Blu-ray Archduke

Sep 2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by iv3rdawG View Post
Those are cool! I'd love a set of Ghibli pins like that.
Old 05-09-2018, 09:59 AM   #72
Blu-ray Guru

Jun 2014
Aberdeen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Porco Azzurro View Post
Just watched Mary... and I loved it. Glad some people lowered my expectations a little!
[Show spoiler]It was definitely like a love letter to Miyazaki movies in places, but had plenty of wonderful original touches too. I loved the characters and the story, and the animation was Ghibli standard (i.e. excellent). The soundtrack was cool too.

If I had criticisms I think
[Show spoiler]the school felt a little empty later on - I would have liked to have seen more students about other than the introduction scenes
and not knowing the book,
[Show spoiler]it felt like there was another shoe to drop about her parents
... but those are minor, minor nitpicks.

Overall I think itís a wonderful film. I sat there with a big silly grin on my face the whole time.
My feelings exactly! It was delightful, fast moving, charming and with gorgeous animation and hit all the right notes - it was a great idea to make it a sort of "best of Ghibli" to establish their credentials. You can see the lineage from Arrietty and Up on Poppy Hill and its nice to think there is a new voice to carry the flag. Bring it on!!

Oh, and the sound design and music were fantastic. I remember when I saw Arrietty in the cinema the sound design was outstanding - must be a thing with Yonebayashi.
Old 10-11-2018, 12:38 AM   #73
Banned

Apr 2013

GKIDS Licenses Studio Ponoc's Modest Heroes Anime Anthology Film

https://www.animenewsnetwork.com/new...y-film/.137965
Thanks given by:
alvarez468 (10-11-2018), gwfb5 (10-24-2018), murakaz (10-11-2018)
Old 10-24-2018, 08:42 PM   #74
Blu-ray Guru

Feb 2013
New Brunswick, Canada

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bandit Tajomaru View Post
GKIDS Licenses Studio Ponoc's Modest Heroes Anime Anthology Film

https://www.animenewsnetwork.com/new...y-film/.137965
The individual shorts/segments all sound interesting, especially the last one.
I hope they don't wait too long to give this a Blu-ray release.

KANINI & KANINO, directed by Academy Awardģ-nominee Hiromasa Yonebayashi (When Marnie Was There, Mary and The Witchís Flower), follows two crab brothers as they embark on a grand underwater adventure to find their father.

LIFE AIN'T GONNA LOSE, directed by Yoshiyuki Momose (key animator on Isao Takahata's Studio Ghibli films), features @MaggieQ (Nikita) as a strong-willed mother to 8-yr-old Shun who faces the challenge of an everyday life threatened by a deadly allergy.

INVISIBLE, directed by Akihiko Yamashita (key animator on #StudioGhibli films), a man wakes up one morning and goes through his day in a world where no one can see him, but a momentous decision gives him the chance to reclaim his humanity.
Old 10-29-2018, 03:45 PM   #75
Blu-ray Samurai

Apr 2017
Southeast Michigan, USA

Since there's a list of the tech specs of the Ghibli releases worldwide, here we go for Ponoc, I guess:

Mary and the Witch's Flower (2017)
  • JP BD (Disney)- 27404 kbps (1080p) | JP LPCM 2.0 24-Bit 2304 kbps | JP DTS HD-MA 2.0 24-Bit 2050 kbps | JP DTS HD-MA 5.1 24-Bit 4106 kbps [English Subtitles] BEST 1080P PQ/AQ
  • JP UHD (Disney)- 90039 kbps (2160p) | JP DTS X/DTS HD-MA 7.1 24-Bit 7769 kbps | JP DTS HD-MA 5.1 24-Bit 4106 kbps | JP DTS HD-MA 2.0 2050 kbps [English subtitles] BEST UHD PQ/AQ
  • US BD (Universal)- 24980 kbps (1080p) | JP DTS HD-MA 5.1 24-Bit 3959 kbps | EN DTS HD-MA 5.1 24-Bit 3946 kbps [English Subtitles]

(The DTS 2.0 track on the JP BD is useless as there's an LPCM mix at a higher bitrate there, so why it was included is beyond me)
Thanks given by:
ghornett (10-31-2018)
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Anime