Best Anime Deals

Top deals | New deals  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Japan
No Game, No Life Zero (Blu-ray)
$7.99

Seven Heavenly Virtues: Complete Collection (Blu-ray)
$7.99

Cross Ange: Rondo of Angel and Dragon: Complete Series (Blu-ray)
$25.99
23 hrs ago
Non Non Biyori: Complete Collection (Blu-ray)
$20.99
17 hrs ago
Armed Girl's Machiavellism: Complete Collection (Blu-ray)
$17.99

Is It Wrong to Try to Pick Up Girls in a Dungeon?: Complete Collection (Blu-ray)
$17.99

Monster Musume Everyday Life With Monster Girls: Complete Collection (Blu-ray)
$17.99

Love, Chunibyo & Other Delusions: Seasons 1 & 2 Complete Collection (Blu-ray)
$25.99

GATE: Complete Collection (Blu-ray)
$25.99

Food Wars!: Shokugeki no Soma: The Second Plate Season 2 (Blu-ray)
$17.99

Hitorijime My Hero: Complete Collection (Blu-ray)
$17.99

Sailor Moon Super S: Season 4 Part 1 (Blu-ray)
$29.96

What's your next favorite movie?
Join our movie community to find out

Image from: Life of Pi (2012)

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Anime

Old 01-19-2009, 02:50 PM   #1

May 2008
Oklahoma
Default Akira Blu-ray 2/24/09!!!! and Nov 12, 2013 Pre-order

Akira Blu-ray nov 12, 2013

Akira Blu-ray

The review is now up!

https://www.blu-ray.com/movies/movie...72&show=review

Last edited by Deciazulado; 08-22-2013 at 09:25 AM. Reason: review now available
Old 01-19-2009, 03:09 PM   #2
Blu-ray Duke

Sep 2008
Montreal
Send a message via Yahoo to P@t_Mtl

None on this site so far, I was looking around the net this weekend to see if I could find one but no luck. Movie still a month away so maybe a little too early yet.

Cannot wait to see a review, I already have a DVD copy and this will tell me if it's worth upgrading it. It's an iconic anime.
Old 01-19-2009, 04:31 PM   #3
Blu-ray Samurai

Nov 2008
Northern VA, USA

It's probably still too early. The Japanese and U.S. discs will likely be the same, but they will be released at about the same time.
Old 01-19-2009, 04:42 PM   #4
Blu-ray Guru

Mar 2008
Lake Mary, FL Steelbooks™: 100+
Send a message via Skype™ to Morphine

Anyone knows if amazon will be offering the first press edition slipcase and booklet?
Old 01-19-2009, 05:06 PM   #5

Dec 2008
Alberta

Some sales associate in Future Shop told me there will barely be a difference between the DVD version and Blu ray version of Akira. I should of told him to watch a Blu ray version of Sleeping Beauty and try to repeat that sentence to me again after he finishes watching. Seriously, the ignorance of big box store employees is astounding.
Old 01-19-2009, 05:09 PM   #6
The Digital Bits

Jul 2008

The screeener discs have not gone out yet, and the bulk of the copies come on much slower shipping

Akira will not look like Sleeping Beauty. To me personally, SB has been scrubbed too hard, and it's lost the film feel and now looks like they repainted it on the computer
Old 01-19-2009, 05:59 PM   #7
Off-Topic King

Jul 2007
Northern California PSN Id: jkwest5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Kleist View Post
The screeener discs have not gone out yet, and the bulk of the copies come on much slower shipping

Akira will not look like Sleeping Beauty. To me personally, SB has been scrubbed too hard, and it's lost the film feel and now looks like they repainted it on the computer
so...this is a good thing for Akira, right?
Old 01-19-2009, 06:14 PM   #8
The Digital Bits

Jul 2008

Quote:
so...this is a good thing for Akira, right?
Yes, and the audio quality should blow people's minds
Old 01-19-2009, 11:17 PM   #9
Blu-ray Samurai

Jan 2008
Covington, KY PSN/NNID:varmintx

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Kleist View Post
Yes, and the audio quality should blow people's minds
Well...the Japanese audio anyway; us English dub fans are apparently getting screwed again.
Old 01-19-2009, 11:23 PM   #10
Contributor

Dec 2008
East Coast, USA

Quote:
Originally Posted by varmintx View Post
Well...the Japanese audio anyway; us English dub fans are apparently getting screwed again.
Might that be because dubs into English are cheap, lazy ways of watching foreign cinema???
Old 01-19-2009, 11:36 PM   #11
Off-Topic King

Jul 2007
Northern California PSN Id: jkwest5

Quote:
dude...there are NO English dub "FANS" when it comes to Japanese anime...
Old 01-20-2009, 12:28 AM   #12
Blu-ray Samurai

Jan 2008
Covington, KY PSN/NNID:varmintx

I have no intention of getting dragged into a pointless "sub vs. dub" argument; especially with 2 people who make declarations on an inherently subjective preference as if it were objective fact. So, this is the one, and only one, post I'll make on the subject.

I've been watching anime for about 24 years. Back then, all we had was the English dubs, and they were always terrible. It's what I grew up with, and what I'm most comfortable with. I'm sure people who started watching anime from downloading fansubs simply got use to subtitles and are more comfortable with them.

Furthermore, I'm visually-impaired; reading subtitles can often be a difficult task for me. This is especially true if they bounce around to different parts of the screen. Because of all the text gags present in His and Hers Circumstances, I couldn't go more than a minute without having to hit the DVD player's rewind button...and this was with the English dub!

I'm certainly not adverse to watching subs; often I have no alternative as with Memories, Tokyo Godfathers and many more from creators whose work I appreciate and will go out of my way to watch. Reading subs is certainly not a great sacrifice. Also, sometimes the dubs are so bad, as is the case with Crest of the Stars, that I have to switch to the subs to get any enjoyment out of it....I just want the option to watch with either.

So, the next time either of you, or anyone else with a similar mindset, feel the need to express such an opinion for whatever reason (as I cannot think of a worthwhile one) please try to keep this post in mind.
Old 01-20-2009, 12:29 AM   #13
The Busey

Apr 2008
Ohio

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkwest View Post
dude...there are NO English dub "FANS" when it comes to Japanese anime...
Ummm have you heard the Cowboy Bebop dubs?

Other than that series, you are absolutely correct!
Old 01-20-2009, 01:30 AM   #14
Power Member

Aug 2007
Livermore, CA

I have over 300 Anime series/movies on DVD. I ONLY watch dub unless I don't have an option. Been watching/collecting for 19 years. I consider myself a fan
Old 01-20-2009, 01:44 AM   #15

Jan 2009
New York

I must say that there are a few dubs I can watch that makes it easier to lend to those who aren't too much into anime, because chances are they don't want to read subs.

List would include:
One Piece (FUNi version)
Photon
Cowboy Bebop
FullMetal Alchemist
....someone help me out here

Anyways, it all really comes down to opinion. It sucks that dub fans will be missing out, but personally, if it is just a dub, oh well.

Not to go too far off topic, and perhaps there should be another thread for this, but what about the titles we aren't getting full quality audio for as for as the original language goes?
Old 01-20-2009, 01:52 AM   #16
Blu-ray Samurai

Oct 2008
-
Send a message via AIM to Afrobean

Quote:
The Japanese language track is the one that should be the main one. You should see the English dub as a bonus audio track, not as the primary one.

I like dubs myself from time to time, but if one track is going to be surround and other is only stereo, the Japanese should be the one in surround because that is how the film is originally supposed to be: in Japanese.

Quote:
especially with 2 people who make declarations on an inherently subjective preference as if it were objective fact.
Well, the objective fact here is that the original Japanese language track is the ORIGINAL. It's like trying to argue in favor of pan-and-scan because subjectively, some people like it better. Who cares if some people like it better? It's not what the original intended film is supposed to be.

Anyway, I think I've heard they've redubbed Akira a couple of times in English. Will this release have the 2001 one with Johnny Yong Bosch in it? I gotta admit, I grew up on Power Rangers and I love seeing him in things.

ps if you're talking about best dubs, FLCL should be at the top of everyone's list.
Old 01-20-2009, 01:55 AM   #17
Blu-ray Ninja

Oct 2008

Any show I got used to young I watch with the dub

examples
Sailor Moon
DBZ
Digimon

Otherwise I want the Japanese with subs.
Old 01-20-2009, 01:58 AM   #18
Blu-ray Samurai

Jul 2008

Probably stick with my akira tin
Old 01-20-2009, 03:31 AM   #19
Blu-ray Samurai

Nov 2008
Northern VA, USA

One thing to consider with Akira is that the voices were recorded before the animation was done. This is typical for American animated films (such as Disney), but it's a rarity for anime. It means the animators actually matched the characters' lips to the Japanese audio. If you watch Akira dubbed in English, it's almost like watching a live-action foreign film dubbed. Most anime don't bother to synch the lip flaps to the dialogue, but Akira is one of the few exceptions.
Old 01-20-2009, 05:18 AM   #20
Contributor

Dec 2008
East Coast, USA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Afrobean View Post
The Japanese language track is the one that should be the main one. You should see the English dub as a bonus audio track, not as the primary one.

I like dubs myself from time to time, but if one track is going to be surround and other is only stereo, the Japanese should be the one in surround because that is how the film is originally supposed to be: in Japanese.
This is what I was talking about. I apologize to varmintx if I didn't make that clear. I have no actual problem with the option of English dubs, I just don't think that people should be surprised or upset when that track is treated less carefully than the original track.

There's an anime that ran on Cartoon Network for a while called Bo-Bo-Bo that has a hilarious English dub. Anyone who's seen it will know it would be impossible to comprehend without the English dub, as many jokes had to be changed for non-Japanese audiences.

Last edited by McCrutchy; 01-20-2009 at 05:21 AM.
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Anime