Best PS5 Games Deals

Best PS5 Games Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | New deals  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Australia Netherlands Japan Mexico
Control (PS5)
$29.83
1 day ago
NBA 2K21 (PS5)
$39.99

Marvel's Avengers (PS5)
$24.99

Monster Truck Championship (PS5)
$25.83

Tony Hawk's Pro Skater 1 + 2 (PS5)
$41.88

Balan Wonderworld (PS5)
$39.64

NBA 2K21 (PS5)
$79.99

Spirit of the North Enhanced Edition (PS5)
$28.60

Ratchet & Clank (PS5)
$69.88

The Pathless (PS5)
$36.99

Ride 4 (PS5)
$33.99

Godfall (PS5)
$57.78
1 day ago
What's your next favorite movie?
Join our movie community to find out

Image from: Life of Pi (2012)

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Gaming > PlayStation > PS5

Old 04-14-2021, 12:19 AM   #41
Blu-ray Count

Jun 2008

Quote:
Originally Posted by eselv73 View Post
Just to clarify, I was quoting other posters in this thread (and many others) who called 3D a gimmick that has come and gone. I'm jealous that you even got to see Episode 1 in 3D, that was theatrical only right?
Yes I saw it theatrically. Most of the movie was terrible in 3D in my opinion, the Pod race of course was good, but the 3D was more background aesthetics it did not pop for me the way 3D should.
Thanks given by:
Zivouhr (04-14-2021)
Old 04-14-2021, 01:59 AM   #42
Blu-ray Prince

Dec 2011
USA

Quote:
Originally Posted by R3P0 View Post
Yes I saw it theatrically. Most of the movie was terrible in 3D in my opinion, the Pod race of course was good, but the 3D was more background aesthetics it did not pop for me the way 3D should.
Thank you. It was a weak, mild conversion that derailed the point of 3D and wasted the money of fans hoping for an incredible 3D experience, and only getting a barely there 3D "why did I pay to see Episode I in 3D since it looks almost 2D most of the time?" result for most audience members.

I read that George Lucas, eager to keep the budget low, hired Prime Focus and he chose the cheapest, lowest cost method to convert it into 3D.

Later, conversions for II and III were ordered by Lucasfilm with stronger 3D results, Prime Focus also stating they had more assets to work with which helped the conversion process a lot. Too bad those films were never released to audiences beyond the Star Wars Convention one year or so.

But yeah, comparing this mild 3D film to a strong 3D conversion like the recent Avengers Infinity War (as well as End Game) puts things in perspective about how incredible 3D done right can be.

Sadly, some audience members' first impression is with something dismally weak for 3D like Episode I was, and as a result, they never want to waste their time with 3D again in some cases, assuming all 3D films are a waste of time.

Thankfully, there are plenty of strong 3D films out there to really enjoy the added dimensions and immersion.
Old 04-15-2021, 06:28 PM   #43

Mar 2012
Norway

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hayabusa85 View Post
What a great question. What could possibly be the main reason people buy a video game console?

Man this is hard. I'm as confused about this as the time I was getting called weird when I bought a condom and put in on my big toe to keep it warm. Like what else would that have been used for right?
There was supposed to be a follow up question to my first question to that idiot I asked, if he/she answered. And then there's another idiot answering, who doesn't have the slightest clue to what this conversation was all about. I didn't ask you did I?
Old 04-15-2021, 10:21 PM   #44
Blu-ray Samurai

Mar 2009
Canada 🍁

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jegærn View Post
There was supposed to be a follow up question to my first question to that idiot I asked, if he/she answered. And then there's another idiot answering, who doesn't have the slightest clue to what this conversation was all about. I didn't ask you did I?

Don't get mad at us because you are asking dumb questions and clinging on to some pretty much universally abandoned video format that never took off. You might as well ask what stupid follow up question you were going to ask because
[Show spoiler]he primarily bought a video game console to play video games....

P.S. It's cute that you think you were having some complex hard to follow discussion. Some banned loser whined he wouldn't buy another Playstation if they didn't support irrelevant 3D playback, he got sarcastically told bye then and then you asked a stupid question. Not exactly rocket science and I could follow it just fine.

Last edited by Hayabusa85; 04-15-2021 at 10:55 PM.
Old 04-16-2021, 12:15 AM   #45
Blu-ray Guru

Aug 2015

It's very unfortunate but I don't see it changing.

There are several games on the PS4 that support 3D, but on the PS5 the games just think your TV is 2D so all the 3D options in the game are disabled. And regardless of whether or not TVs support 3D anymore, PSVR still supports 3D for Blu-Rays, but only on the PS4!

But the issue it that they would have to test every firmware update that 3D still works. And they don't want to bother with that because very few people care about it.

So it sucks but I also don't blame them.
Old 04-16-2021, 01:26 PM   #46
Special Member

Jun 2020

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zivouhr View Post
Thank you. It was a weak, mild conversion that derailed the point of 3D and wasted the money of fans hoping for an incredible 3D experience, and only getting a barely there 3D "why did I pay to see Episode I in 3D since it looks almost 2D most of the time?" result for most audience members.

I read that George Lucas, eager to keep the budget low, hired Prime Focus and he chose the cheapest, lowest cost method to convert it into 3D.

Later, conversions for II and III were ordered by Lucasfilm with stronger 3D results, Prime Focus also stating they had more assets to work with which helped the conversion process a lot. Too bad those films were never released to audiences beyond the Star Wars Convention one year or so.

But yeah, comparing this mild 3D film to a strong 3D conversion like the recent Avengers Infinity War (as well as End Game) puts things in perspective about how incredible 3D done right can be.

Sadly, some audience members' first impression is with something dismally weak for 3D like Episode I was, and as a result, they never want to waste their time with 3D again in some cases, assuming all 3D films are a waste of time.

Thankfully, there are plenty of strong 3D films out there to really enjoy the added dimensions and immersion.
Titanic amd Wizard of Oz much better.

I saw Ep. I. Wasn't outstanding by any means. Would love to revisit at home though. Its failure stifled the forward progression that got Independence Day captured.

I agree about Avengers and Thor Ragnarok is another shing example. Guardians of the Galaxy floating off the screen outside the letterbix is another example.
Old 05-08-2021, 04:09 PM   #47
Expert Member

Aug 2009

I find it amusing sometimes when people spout out the old '3d is a gimmick' thing. How do you define a gimmick? Movies and TV themselves were considered gimmicks by many aroind the times of their conceptions. Sound was considered a gimmick (that could potentially destroy the medium no less), Colour was a gimmick, widescreen was a gimmick, surround sound home cinema was a gimmick and so on. It's all been said before now.
Thanks given by:
Zivouhr (05-08-2021)
Old 05-08-2021, 05:41 PM   #48
Expert Member

Sep 2016

Yeah I'd agree. People calling 3D a gimmick are kind of short-sighted. No more than VR or surround sound. It's just another medium that'll hopefully improve over time. Whether it's popular and takes off or not is another point entirely. If they ever figure out 3D so it doesn't require extra hardware like glasses I'll be all over that, but I wasn't that never offended by needing the glasses truth be told.

Last edited by Vincanws; 05-08-2021 at 08:36 PM.
Thanks given by:
Zivouhr (05-08-2021)
Old 05-11-2021, 09:16 PM   #49
Blu-ray Ninja

Dec 2016

I wouldn't compare 3D to surround sound. I'm telling you now that if I had to wear something on my head to enjoy surround sound then I would not care about it. And while I wouldn't necessarily say that 3D is a gimmick, I'm not entirely sure that it isn't one either. I think the comparison to VR doesn't really fit considering that they are so many applications for VR and they go well outside home entertainment. You just can't say the same for 3D, which is limited in what it has to offer.

Anyway, I'm sure Sony did a cost/benefit analysis on whether it was worth it to include 3D spec in the PS5. I know that people who love 3D really love it, but the fact is that generally speaking the market and interest for it just isn't there, and Sony loves to remove any feature they can from a console if it means saving a dime or two (even if it's a feature or tech that they themselves were pushing just a few short years ago).
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Gaming > PlayStation > PS5