Best 4K Blu-ray Deals

Best Blu-ray Movie Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | New deals  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Australia Japan
Twin Peaks: From Z to A (Blu-ray)
$121.79

Fast & Furious Presents: Hobbs & Shaw 4K (Blu-ray)
$16.99

Shaun of the Dead 4K / Hot Fuzz 4K / The World's End 4K (Blu-ray)
$24.99

Rambo: Last Blood 4K (Blu-ray)
$24.96

Knives Out 4K (Blu-ray)
$24.99

The Mummy Ultimate Trilogy 4K (Blu-ray)
$19.99

Captain Marvel 4K (Blu-ray)
$21.99

Planet Earth II and Blue Planet II: The Collection 4K (Blu-ray)
$31.28

Avengers: Endgame 4K (Blu-ray)
$21.96

Midway 4K (Blu-ray)
$24.99

The Matrix Trilogy 4K (Blu-ray)
$44.99

Yesterday 4K (Blu-ray)
$16.99

What's your next favorite movie?
Join our movie community to find out

Image from: Life of Pi (2012)

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Ultra HD Blu-ray and 4K > Ultra HD Blu-ray and 4K Movies > 4K Wish Lists

Old 01-03-2019, 10:07 PM   #21

Feb 2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by imsounoriginal View Post
Were they ever playing it? The movie kinda bombed and theaters likely pulled it to make room for the stuff that's profitable (Aquaman, Poppins, Spider-Verse, etc.).
It was only on 1900 screens something in the first place, but it hasn't lost screens so far, definitely will this weekend though.

I've really dug the trailers and will see this on Monday, I feel this is going to be another of those films this year (Life Itself is one already just as The Book Of Henry was last year) that critics are way too harsh on.
Old 01-03-2019, 10:58 PM   #22
Blu-ray Grand Duke

Mar 2009
Denver, CO

Besides The Grinch, Universal took a big hit this Christmas with this and Mortal Engines. Ouch,
Old 01-05-2019, 03:56 AM   #23
Contributor

Dec 2008
East Coast, USA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaotic View Post
Besides The Grinch, Universal took a big hit this Christmas with this and Mortal Engines. Ouch,
And to be honest, while it did well domestically in a slow November, The Grinch didn't do that well worldwide for an Illumination film. I'm sure it will overtake Sing domestically, but it's more or less petered out now that the Christmas and New Year holidays are over, and considering that it was from a known intellectual property that has a built-in fanbase, you have to wonder if Universal are just the slightest bit disappointed with a sub-$500 million take, especially with the two bombs in tow, as well. I know I'm a bit surprised to see a sub-$500 million total, but I can only assume that the Seuss story is simply not as popular outside the US. And while the film did very well in the UK and okay in Australia, France and Germany, all of the recent original Illumination films have done better in those territories too, often significantly so.

For comparison, in terms of worldwide totals. Despicable Me did over $543 million in 2010, Sing did over $100 million more than that in 2016, and obviously, The Secret Life of Pets topped it earlier in the same year with over $875 million, so The Grinch will actually become Illumination's third-lowest earner worldwide, topping only Hop and The Lorax, which were their first two films back in 2011 and 2012. Therefore, you wonder if Universal weren't banking on The Grinch to do more than it has, at least in the early stages. I mean, after 2015-2017, an Illumination version of Dr. Seuss' Grinch tale probably sounded like $650-$700 million in the bank to Universal, not huffing and puffing it to $480 million (and making perhaps only $10 million more domestically than the 2000 live-action film did, without adjusting for inflation).

Last edited by McCrutchy; 01-05-2019 at 04:10 AM.
Old 01-05-2019, 04:02 AM   #24
Blu-ray Grand Duke

Mar 2009
Denver, CO

I heard Dr. Seuss isn't popular or well liked overseas.

The 2000 Grinch only made $85M overseas.
Old 01-05-2019, 10:33 AM   #25

Feb 2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaotic View Post
I heard Dr. Seuss isn't popular or well liked overseas.

The 2000 Grinch only made $85M overseas.
Very true, The Grinch has been having incredible holds domestically, it's doing very well really
Old 01-05-2019, 06:56 PM   #26
Blu-ray Champion

Apr 2012
US of A

It sounds like the film took too many liberties with the Seuss tale... it also seemed to miss the message as well when softening the Grinch character for this version.

The original Chuck Jones adaptation still seems the most accurate of the lot. Too bad it hasn't received a true 4k release from the restored elements.

Marwen, even if it might be at least a decent flick overall, was poorly marketed. A very hard sell.
Old 01-06-2019, 02:09 PM   #27
Special Member

Mar 2008

Just saw this. Good movie. Meticulously crafted as Zemeckis’s films always are. Unfortunately one of those films where the documentary hit such a chord with critics that to see Zemeckis take artistic licence to tell the story he wants to tell - well just gives them so much ammo.
Yet another example of the current trend towards critics reviewing what they think it should have been, rather than the film in front of them. That film is a good one, that’s entirely successful in conveying its message and entertaining throughout.

Will pick the disc up. Like I said; technical merits are first rate.
Thanks given by:
Resettito (01-06-2019)
Old 01-06-2019, 03:28 PM   #28

Feb 2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildphantom View Post
Just saw this. Good movie. Meticulously crafted as Zemeckisís films always are. Unfortunately one of those films where the documentary hit such a chord with critics that to see Zemeckis take artistic licence to tell the story he wants to tell - well just gives them so much ammo.
Yet another example of the current trend towards critics reviewing what they think it should have been, rather than the film in front of them. That film is a good one, thatís entirely successful in conveying its message and entertaining throughout.

Very true about the trend, I've seen other journalists talking about this on Twitter.
Old 01-06-2019, 04:08 PM   #29
Blu-ray Samurai

Mar 2016

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildphantom View Post
Just saw this. Good movie. Meticulously crafted as Zemeckisís films always are. Unfortunately one of those films where the documentary hit such a chord with critics that to see Zemeckis take artistic licence to tell the story he wants to tell - well just gives them so much ammo.
Yet another example of the current trend towards critics reviewing what they think it should have been, rather than the film in front of them. That film is a good one, thatís entirely successful in conveying its message and entertaining throughout.

I think it was just that most people, myself included, wanted to hear/see more about his actual life. I didn't mind the animated sequences, but I didn't like that the movie was 95% animated sequences (of things that never happened) and 5% real life events.
Old 01-06-2019, 04:50 PM   #30
Blu-ray King

Feb 2009
Swanage, Engerland

Quote:
Originally Posted by McCrutchy View Post
And to be honest, while it did well domestically in a slow November, The Grinch didn't do that well worldwide for an Illumination film. I'm sure it will overtake Sing domestically, but it's more or less petered out now that the Christmas and New Year holidays are over, and considering that it was from a known intellectual property that has a built-in fanbase, you have to wonder if Universal are just the slightest bit disappointed with a sub-$500 million take, especially with the two bombs in tow, as well. I know I'm a bit surprised to see a sub-$500 million total, but I can only assume that the Seuss story is simply not as popular outside the US. And while the film did very well in the UK and okay in Australia, France and Germany, all of the recent original Illumination films have done better in those territories too, often significantly so.

For comparison, in terms of worldwide totals. Despicable Me did over $543 million in 2010, Sing did over $100 million more than that in 2016, and obviously, The Secret Life of Pets topped it earlier in the same year with over $875 million, so The Grinch will actually become Illumination's third-lowest earner worldwide, topping only Hop and The Lorax, which were their first two films back in 2011 and 2012. Therefore, you wonder if Universal weren't banking on The Grinch to do more than it has, at least in the early stages. I mean, after 2015-2017, an Illumination version of Dr. Seuss' Grinch tale probably sounded like $650-$700 million in the bank to Universal, not huffing and puffing it to $480 million (and making perhaps only $10 million more domestically than the 2000 live-action film did, without adjusting for inflation).
Swings and roundabouts McC, swings and roundabouts. Universal were pissing all over everyone in 2015 while Warners were practically handing around the begging bowl, things have turned around a fair bit in 2018. Uni aren't exactly destitute just yet thanks to the success of another JW movie but Warners have just crept ahead for worldwide takings thanks to Aquaman, and you can tag another billion thanks to the New Line movies.
Old 01-06-2019, 05:48 PM   #31
Blu-ray Grand Duke

Mar 2009
Denver, CO

March 19th is the date, but 4K is looking unlikely

https://highdefdiscnews.com/2019/01/...Z1T9lGygCNLT2o
Old 01-08-2019, 12:34 PM   #32
Blu-ray Baron

Oct 2010
Netherlands

Yes, this seems to be cancelled.
Old 01-08-2019, 01:12 PM   #33
Special Member

Oct 2017
Clarksville, TN

So just regular Blu-ray only release possibly?
Old 01-08-2019, 01:15 PM   #34
Blu-ray Baron

Oct 2010
Netherlands

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoland2020 View Post
So just regular Blu-ray only release possibly?
Yes, Blu-ray for sure.
Thanks given by:
Zoland2020 (01-08-2019)
Old 01-10-2019, 09:35 PM   #35
Blu-ray Count

Jun 2008
down at Fraggle Rock

sure the film had it's many flaws, but hardly a true dog of a movie. Normally the movies I've seen at my neighborhood AMC, the image on the large screen 1 is great, but here the colors seemed a tad muted - I was expecting the colors to have more of a pop to them. Shame that this isn't getting a 4K release as HDR would have benefited greatly.
Old 01-10-2019, 09:37 PM   #36
Special Member

Apr 2014
United States

Saw it at my local cinema. Stick to the documentary.
Old 01-12-2019, 11:46 PM   #37
Blu-ray Guru

Aug 2008
Germany

amazon.com also just cancelled my according pre-order like this:

Quote:
Due to a lack of availability, we will not be able to obtain the following item(s) from your order:

"Activated Charcoal Teeth Whitening Powder - Improved 2018 Formula"

We've canceled the item(s) and apologize for the inconvenience. If you see a charge for the canceled item, we will refund you within 1-2 business days.

If you are still interested in purchasing this item, it may be available from other sellers. Please visit the detail page for this item below:
Well. Yeah.
Old 01-13-2019, 12:27 AM   #38
Blu-ray Count

Jun 2008
down at Fraggle Rock

^ ... wha... ??
Old 01-13-2019, 01:48 AM   #39

Apr 2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by andreasy969 View Post
amazon.com also just cancelled my according pre-order like this:

Well. Yeah.
Same here??

What is going on?
Old 01-13-2019, 12:10 PM   #40
Blu-ray Guru

Aug 2008
Germany

I did notice that when I clicked on the item of my pre-order before it was cancelled, it did navigate to this odd item already, so I wasn't that surprised when I got this weird email yesterday. I checked my pre-order when the "cancelled" rumors started.

So I guess there's both sth wrong with the listing and it really is being cancelled. wowhd still has it up for pre-order though.
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Ultra HD Blu-ray and 4K > Ultra HD Blu-ray and 4K Movies > 4K Wish Lists