Best Blu-ray Movie Deals

Best Blu-ray Movie Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | New deals  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Australia Japan
Knives Out 4K (Blu-ray)
$24.99
11 hrs ago
Apocalypse Now 4K (Blu-ray)
$13.27

Friday the 13th: 8-Movie Collection (Blu-ray)
$12.99

Madagascar: The Complete Collection (Blu-ray)
$9.99
4 hrs ago
Batman Beyond: The Complete Series (Blu-ray)
$60.99

Dragon Ball Z: Seasons 1-9 Collection (Blu-ray)
$123.49

Planet Earth II and Blue Planet II: The Collection 4K (Blu-ray)
$29.99

The Mummy Ultimate Trilogy 4K (Blu-ray)
$19.99

Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles (Blu-ray)
$3.99
3 hrs ago
Black Sails: The Complete Collection (Blu-ray)
$24.99

Dredd 4K (Blu-ray)
$9.99
23 min ago
Jack Ryan 5-Movie Collection (Blu-ray)
$9.99

What's your next favorite movie?
Join our movie community to find out

Image from: Life of Pi (2012)

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Entertainment > General Chat

Old 09-19-2006, 06:14 PM   #1

Jun 2006
Ocala, FL
Default Burning the candle at both ends! Hmmm !!

I was given an invitation to visit the HD-DVD Forum. So I went there and discovered many of those here on the Blu-Ray Forum who are insistent upon the Blu-Ray Players are just as much - supporting and promoting the HD-DVD format. Now, I'll have to ping pong back and forth to get a true representaion of your position, if discernable. Boy, was I surprised !!!

Jim
Old 09-19-2006, 06:15 PM   #2
Blu-ray Knight

Jan 2006
www.blurayoasis.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimPullan View Post
I was given an invitation to visit the HD-DVD Forum. So I went there and discovered many of those here on the Blu-Ray Forum who are insistent upon the Blu-Ray Players are just as much - supporting and promoting the HD-DVD format. Now, I'll have to ping pong back and forth to get a true representaion of your position, if discernable. Boy, was I surprised !!!

Jim

Or you can just go to AVS and you'll see plenty of HD-DVD material. In fact, you'll be drowning in it.

https://forum.blu-ray.com/showthread.php?t=2637
There seems to be a reoccuring theme in these threads of yours now.

What are you trying to get at?
Old 09-19-2006, 06:26 PM   #3

Jun 2006
Ocala, FL

Quote:
Originally Posted by JTK View Post
What are you trying to get at?
OK, for example you indicated that Blu-Ray and HD-DVD will be around for quite awhile, but here on the Blu-Ray Forum you predict the demise of HD-DVD by years end or early next year. Just inconsistency. This perception is not limited to your comments, there are several forum members that contradict themselves from one forum to the other. It is not disturbing. I see it now as entertaining and humorous, not serious dialogue.

Jim
Old 09-19-2006, 06:28 PM   #4
Blu-ray Knight

Jan 2006
www.blurayoasis.com

Quote:
OK, for example you indicated that Blu-Ray and HD-DVD will be around for quite awhile,
Note the dates of these kinds of comments. Note context.

Maybe I've been careless, but I've always tried to be specific about certain conditions that I feel would need to happen for both formats to continue vs. one of them demising.

What I'm seeing shape up NOW vs. even a few months ago is suggesting to me clearly that IF the BDA plays their cards right and IF they come out and nuke the place to hell and back here beginning in the 4th quarter of this year, that sets up conditions for HD-DVD's demise.

We've also had IFA and CEDIA since some of my earlier comments. The complete non-news for HD-DVD speaks for itself vs. the tons of news for BD.

One can't ignore these facts.

I can post this anywhere you like.

I have had discussions in the past on the boards about what if scenarios that HD-DVD would need to continue on and grow. I see the likelihood of these scenarios diminishing on a daily basis, at the rate things are going.

We won't even get into my track record on other forums. I think I've been flamed and branded a fanboy from every side, FOR every side by now.

You just can't win.

Quote:
...but here on the Blu-Ray Forum you predict the demise of HD-DVD by years end or early next year. Just inconsistency.
I think you're mistaken and need to read a little bit more carefully and take note of dates and context.

I feel like I've been pretty consistent since day one. I know I've already written some things on HD-DVD.com that are going to get me into some hot water when some more HD-DVD supporters come over there.

On that same note, I certainly will take this under advisement for myself.

If people are coming away with this kind of impression, then I'm very much disappointed and it tells me I'm not communicating as effectively as I'd like.

Quote:
This perception is not limited to your comments, there are several forum members that contradict themselves from one forum to the other. It is not disturbing. I see it now as entertaining and humorous, not serious dialogue.

Jim
Welcome to the Internet.

Last edited by JTK; 09-19-2006 at 06:34 PM.
Old 09-19-2006, 06:46 PM   #5

Jun 2006
Ocala, FL
Default Please accept my sincere apology

Returning back to the HD-DVD Forum, to document the date and time of the post, I noticed 'the comment I was referring to' was actually 'not from you' but was within a quotation you were referring to. So, the error is certainly on my part. Please accept my apology. I'll be more careful or maybe more silent in the future (which is probably later today or tomorrow! )

Jim
Old 09-19-2006, 06:56 PM   #6
Blu-ray Guru

May 2004
Earth

I've been saying for well over a year that Blu-ray will defeat HD DVD. That said, when BD had a disappointing launch I picked up an HD DVD player. I love the HD DVD discs themselves but the players suck monkey balls. Now that things are improving with Blu-ray I am fully supporting both formats. I've got several BDs on order and will be buying a BD player very soon. Note that even when I was frustrated with Blu-ray software I never doubted the BDA's ability to win this war. They have had the vast majority of CE and studio support all along. IMO there's no way in hell Blu-ray will lose. As I've said countless times in various forums, the best HD DVD can hope for is to coexist. Take a look at my responses to Robert at HD-DVD.com, who's side am I on? I certainly hope this clears up any mistaken impressions you may have gotten from some of my posts.
Old 09-19-2006, 07:00 PM   #7
Blu-ray Knight

Jan 2006
www.blurayoasis.com

Quote:
Returning back to the HD-DVD Forum, to document the date and time of the post, I noticed 'the comment I was referring to' was actually 'not from you' but was within a quotation you were referring to. So, the error is certainly on my part. Please accept my apology. I'll be more careful or maybe more silent in the future (which is probably later today or tomorrow! )

Jim

No apologies needed.

I always welcome constructive criticism and take anything like this in the spirit it's offered.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyg View Post
I love the HD DVD discs themselves but the players suck monkey balls.
Sig?

Last edited by JTK; 09-19-2006 at 07:03 PM.
Old 09-19-2006, 07:04 PM   #8

Jun 2006
Ocala, FL
Default I too am quite optomistic that Blu-Ray will win this!

Fear not, I am certainly no threat to either of these formats with my comments, opinions or desires. Nor do I want to cause any division between myself and any other Forum Member, here or there. I most likely was jumping to conclusions and that was unfair to others, to which I am very sorry. A post like this is difficult to write, having to humble oneself in a public forum. I hope my contributions here will continue to be enjoyable and insightful. Again, to all those I've offended, please accept my sincere apology.

Jim
Old 09-19-2006, 07:23 PM   #9
Blu-ray Guru

May 2004
Earth

It's all good Jim. We're pretty much all one happy family here.
Old 09-19-2006, 07:32 PM   #10
Blu-ray Knight

Jan 2006
www.blurayoasis.com

Quote:
Fear not, I am certainly no threat to either of these formats with my comments, opinions or desires. Nor do I want to cause any division between myself and any other Forum Member, here or there. I most likely was jumping to conclusions and that was unfair to others, to which I am very sorry. A post like this is difficult to write, having to humble oneself in a public forum. I hope my contributions here will continue to be enjoyable and insightful. Again, to all those I've offended, please accept my sincere apology.

Jim

It's all good and again, I appreciate being "kept honest" and on my toes, so to speak.
Old 09-20-2006, 01:59 AM   #11
Blu-ray Guru

Sep 2006

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyg View Post
I've been saying for well over a year that Blu-ray will defeat HD DVD. That said, when BD had a disappointing launch I picked up an HD DVD player. I love the HD DVD discs themselves but the players suck monkey balls. Now that things are improving with Blu-ray I am fully supporting both formats. I've got several BDs on order and will be buying a BD player very soon. Note that even when I was frustrated with Blu-ray software I never doubted the BDA's ability to win this war. They have had the vast majority of CE and studio support all along. IMO there's no way in hell Blu-ray will lose. As I've said countless times in various forums, the best HD DVD can hope for is to coexist. Take a look at my responses to Robert at HD-DVD.com, who's side am I on? I certainly hope this clears up any mistaken impressions you may have gotten from some of my posts.
I give you credit for both being consistent, open minded, and not a "fanboy". Your feelings as indicated above and in other posts you have written here, at the hd-dvd forum, and on AVS, show that your feelings/opinions very closely mirror that of mine overall.

It's good to see good healthy discussion here, unlike some other forums!
Old 09-20-2006, 04:12 AM   #12
Blu-ray Count

Sep 2006

Well, I for one think the HD landscape's going to look quite different this time next year.

By that time the lack of other CEs and studio support is going to be quite apparent to the other side. They probably won't go quietly into that dark night. I can see the conspiracy theories and "well VHS won and we all know Beta was better too!" or something like that. I've put the pot of crow on slow boil, there's gonna be a lot of eating from it next fall.
Old 09-20-2006, 02:31 PM   #13
Blu-ray Knight

Jan 2006
www.blurayoasis.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterTHX View Post
Well, I for one think the HD landscape's going to look quite different this time next year.

By that time the lack of other CEs and studio support is going to be quite apparent to the other side. They probably won't go quietly into that dark night. I can see the conspiracy theories and "well VHS won and we all know Beta was better too!" or something like that. I've put the pot of crow on slow boil, there's gonna be a lot of eating from it next fall.
But wait! The Chinese players and Joe Six Pack are supposed to save the day, remember?
Old 09-20-2006, 06:04 PM   #14

Jun 2006
Ocala, FL

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterTHX View Post

You have now said what you feel. Now bring on the substance and its adjoining documentation to support your feelings. Who'll be eating crow ?

Jim
Old 09-20-2006, 10:57 PM   #15

Jan 2005

Quote:
You have now said what you feel. Now bring on the substance and its adjoining documentation to support your feelings. Who'll be eating crow ?

Jim
I know you aren't asking HIM that?!?! Come on! No product has had almost any long term existence without extended CE and studio support. Sony has a long reputation for it.

But, while I don't necessarily believe that HD-DVD is guaranteed failure, they may show up to be the 'Apple' of the format. Much less software, and much tighter hardware. This would also push HD-DVD pricing higher than Blu-ray.

HD-DVD must have more studio and CE support if they want to be the long term leader - as proven time and time again with different products pushed to market. Beta/VHS being an excellent example. Mini-Disc, UMD, Laser Discs, Record Discs, etc.

There are definitely market indicators that lean towards HD-DVD being far less likely to survive long term vs. Blu-ray. Do you really need a lot of different versions of the same story to agree?
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Entertainment > General Chat