Best Blu-ray Movie Deals

Best Blu-ray Movie Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | New deals  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Australia Japan
The Big Bang Theory: The Twelfth and Final Season (Blu-ray)
$14.99
2 hrs ago
Supergirl: The Complete Fourth Season (Blu-ray)
$14.99
2 hrs ago
Titans: The Complete First Season (Blu-ray)
$14.99
2 hrs ago
Once Upon a Time in Hollywood 4K (Blu-ray)
$24.55
10 hrs ago
Doom Patrol: The Complete First Season (Blu-ray)
$14.99
9 hrs ago
Batman: The Complete Animated Series (Blu-ray)
$41.99

The Hunger Games: Complete 4-Film Collection (Blu-ray)
$19.99
5 hrs ago
Fast & Furious Presents: Hobbs & Shaw 4K (Blu-ray)
$14.99

The Flash: The Complete Fifth Season (Blu-ray)
$17.99
4 hrs ago
Spider-Man: Far from Home / Spider-Man: Homecoming / Spider-Man: Into the Spider-Verse / Venom (Blu-ray)
$37.99
8 hrs ago
Twin Peaks: From Z to A (Blu-ray)
$121.79

Batman: 80th Anniversary 18-Film Collection (Blu-ray)
$49.96

What's your next favorite movie?
Join our movie community to find out

Image from: Life of Pi (2012)

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Blu-ray Movies - North America > Wish Lists

Old 03-30-2011, 09:36 PM   #21

Apr 2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpaceDog View Post
This is an interesting enough concept - but I think it's much more responsible and honest to release it here. Releasing it in Japan only comes back to the head in the sand hide from your past problem that I raise in my initial point.
While it would be nice in principle for Disney to release it here somehow, I think its fans should focus instead on getting it released somewhere on DVD/Blu-ray first and then work towards and official NA release.
Old 03-30-2011, 09:58 PM   #22
Blu-ray Baron

Nov 2009
Hong Kong

Per Wal-Mart's newsletter, March 30, 2011:

Wal-Mart is proud to present Disney's long-lost classic Song of the South in select Wal-mart stores across the southern states such as Alabama, Arkansas, and Georgia. This Wal-mart Exclusive blu-ray will be released on July 4th, 2011. Wide release is unknown for now.

Old 03-30-2011, 10:09 PM   #23

Apr 2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canada View Post
Song of the South is a tough film because as I understand it's racist. I would like to see it but have not being able to find it, because Disney has pulled it. I would like to see it released by Criterion or whoever, because as is said in the old adage "If we forget history we are doomed to repeat it." It's a shame Disney wants us to forget this movie.
The movie isn't even close to offensive or racist. It has a black man in the lead role as a teacher and role model. It is worse that the work of James Baskett isn't being recognized for which he won an Honorary Academy Award. It does show the time period it was set, probably during Reconstruction when slaves were free but many stayed to work the plantation because that's the life they knew. Uncle Remus even heads for Atlanta, but ends up returning. We have Johnny (white boy) playing with Toby (black boy) and taking to heart what Uncle Remus (black man) is telling him. The Favers boys are worse; wanting to drown a defenseless puppy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowmaker View Post
Aside from the Tar Baby, I really don't remember anything so racist in the movie. I have a bootleg DVD of it (I think it was ripped from laserdisc). I guess I'll have to rewatch it. I have not seen the whole movie since I was a kid in the theater.
Besides for the fact that this tale comes from African folklore. It's not Disney's fault that people like bastardizing terms and words. Does anyone under 50 even know the term as other than a sticky situation?
Thanks given by:
judremy (02-27-2016)
Old 04-01-2011, 10:12 PM   #24
Blu-ray Samurai

Jun 2007
Raleigh, NC

Both sides of the issue get a mention in Entertainment Weekly today.
As a tie-in to HOP, they are discussing best and worst Live-action/Animation Hybrid films.

http://www.ew.com/ew/gallery/0,,2047....html#20930688
Old 02-23-2016, 09:53 AM   #25

Sep 2011
San Antonio, TX
Send a message via Yahoo to Kidfury
Default Insert foot in your mouth...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canada View Post
Song of the South is a tough film because as I understand it's racist. I would like to see it but have not being able to find it, because Disney has pulled it. I would like to see it released by Criterion or whoever, because as is said in the old adage "If we forget history we are doomed to repeat it." It's a shame Disney wants us to forget this movie.
I love this moronic comment...so YOU KNOW "Song of the South is a tough film because as I understand it's racist". Followed up by...."I would like to see it, but have not being able to find it, because Disney has pulled it".

ARE YOU SERIOUS!!??

How do you "UNDERSTAND" that it's racist if you haven't EVER SEEN THE FILM!!??

Ok...deep breath...count to 10...ughh.

I take MAJOR EXCEPTION to this. This film IS NOT RACIST in any form or fashion. First off the film was set in the POST CIVIL WAR era. It was set during the times of RECONSTRUCTION. So the thought that slaves acting happy and uplifted being a racist misrepresentation of them being happy as slaves is a FALSE moronic one.

So I guess a role model being an adult black man is racist as well? If anything he was a great example to kids everywhere. Also, as a child, you never even thought it was odd to have an older black man as the lead and basically the hero character. He was the older wiser character that you trusted and felt secure with. It was a GREAT THING!!

Another thing, IT IS A PERIOD PIECE as well. If the lead character in a Reconstruction period piece taking place in the South is a wise older black man, well I would expect that character to look and talk like the average wise older black man living in the South during Reconstruction!!!!!! Otherwise it would NOT BE AUTHENTIC...I mean come on...

So how about before we pass judgement on films, we actually see them?? I mean is it ok to pass judgement on a film based on other people's opinions?? People who may have never seen the film themselves and are calling it racist based on something someone else said as well. Even if they did see the film maybe they're just morons and looking to be offended by anything.

You wouldn't believe another person was a racist based on hearsay or what someone else says about that person before you ever got to know them personally, would you??? Of course you would, because it's just easy that way and that lets you fit in with the rest of the morons. "Well, so and so said that about what's his name so it must be so!! Can you believe he's racist?? OMG!!??"

What's truly sad is that in most cases the loudest voices for tolerance are often the most intolerant people.

As a society we have got to wake up. Be honorable and also honest with ourselves. Stop and think before you speak or post things. Mischaracterization of things and people are one of the worst things that can be done to them. And as you see in this case, it's often something that can not be recovered from. I mean lets just silence everything in the past that only a SMALL GROUP of SMALL MINDED PEOPLE are against. I mean what's the harm in that right??

Erase anything perceived to be bad from the past as if it never happened or existed right? And if something from the past truly was bad, you want no record in history so that no one could learn from it to never repeat it again?? Again, I mean what's the harm in that right??
Thanks given by:
ilovenola2 (03-03-2016), Michael24 (02-24-2016)
Old 02-23-2016, 08:10 PM   #26

Oct 2011
Chicago, IL

Just give me the damn second volume of Tom & Jerry already, will ya???
Thanks given by:
ilovenola2 (03-03-2016)
Old 02-23-2016, 08:50 PM   #27
Blu-ray Champion

Oct 2010
New York City, NY

Like Star Wars, there are other GREAT options.
Thanks given by:
filmmusic (02-24-2016)
Old 02-23-2016, 09:02 PM   #28
Blu-ray Samurai

Jun 2012
USA

This is an idea I keep throwing around and it is likely to work for Song of The South and any banned WB/MGM cartoon; just sublicensed them to TCM since both studios have partnerships with them. You release this stuff online, it doesn't go to stores, no one complains, everyone wins.
Old 02-23-2016, 09:08 PM   #29
Blu-ray Ninja

Apr 2010

A few years ago, I bought a DVD-R rip of the Japanese Laserdisc. It's not perfect as there are forced Japanese subtitles throughout, but it's better than nothing at all. Still hoping for an eventual remastered Blu-ray release somewhere in the world though...
Old 02-23-2016, 09:27 PM   #30
Banned

Jun 2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by IndyMLVC View Post
Like Star Wars, there are other GREAT options.
Yep, now shush
Old 03-03-2016, 11:30 AM   #31
Banned

Jul 2011

I would love to see this finally released, with new special features such as a retrospective documentary on James Baskett. I think that would put any unfortunate aspects into historical context so that even the stupidest viewer would not get upset. Unfortunately, I don't think Disney is worried about offending anyone per se; they're worried if they release this it will look like "Disney=Racist," which is the dumbest reason to sit on a title (that they even have a theme park ride for) in the world.
Old 05-30-2019, 09:20 PM   #32
Blu-ray Guru

Jun 2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by DVD Phreak View Post

The 75th Anniversary Blu-ray/DVD release of GwtW was the first time Warner published anything remotely negative about the film, via a featurette on the disc called "New South, Old South." It views the film with today's sensibility and critiques it accordingly. It contrasts sharply with an archived intro by Olivia de Havilland included on the same disc, in which she heaps praises on the film and says in no uncertain terms, "The film reflects my value." If she said that today to the current generation, it would be problematic for sure. This year is the film's 80th anniversary, and I expect celebrations for the occasion to be quite mute and restrained.
Nope. It got a nationwide 80th anniversary theatrical release via Fathom and broke Fathom's record for highest grossing release of an old movie:

Quote:
Special 80th-anniversary screenings of the classic movie generated $2.23 million from just six screenings.

Gone With the Wind has sent a new benchmark for Fathom Events.

Special 80th-anniversary showings of Gone With the Wind generated $2.23 million in box office grosses, a record for a classic movie brought back to the big screen by Fathom, besting the $2 million delivered earlier this year by The Wizard of Oz.
https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/ne...fathom-1195914
Old 05-30-2019, 10:13 PM   #33
Expert Member

Dec 2008

Quote:
Originally Posted by whiteberry View Post
Nope. It got a nationwide 80th anniversary theatrical release via Fathom and broke Fathom's record for highest grossing release of an old movie:

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/ne...fathom-1195914
Fathom events, TCM Film Festival, and the likes are very limited runs and don't indicate any tremendous showbiz buzz that GwtW in the past used to get. A greater buzz would be a nice Blu-ray box set for the 80th anniversary just like there was for the 75th, and that really seems iffy now, since 2019 is almost half over. A greater buzz would be for mainstream entertainment outlets reporting on the occasion, because that used to happen. Back in 1989, evening news were abuzz about the 50th anniversary. That seems so unlikely now, due to the problematic nature of the film in these divisive times. If it were reported in the news, it would be most likely about the film's lingering controversy.

"Last Year at Marienbad" is currently showing at Film Forum in New York City in its 3rd week holdover. GwtW would have to at least approach that kind of success to have great buzz. It is a different world today, which is my point here really. Today, theaters like Film Forum and other art-house/classic theaters are more likely to show films about third-world countries, women's rights, gay rights, etc., than a problematic film like GwtW. When people today mention GwtW, they first think of how distorted the depiction of slavery is. Even fans of the films know there is a problem here. If Hollywood had a red-carpet event for GwtW, all the celebrities who showed up would be asked about the controversy the second they stepped out of their limos.
Old 05-30-2019, 11:19 PM   #34
Blu-ray Champion

Oct 2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nailwraps View Post
This is an idea I keep throwing around and it is likely to work for Song of The South and any banned WB/MGM cartoon; just sublicensed them to TCM since both studios have partnerships with them. You release this stuff online, it doesn't go to stores, no one complains, everyone wins.
Yes, because it is SOOOOOO hard to complaint about stuff that happens online only...
Old 07-21-2019, 05:48 AM   #35

Apr 2016
San Antonio, TX
Send a message via Skype™ to maniac89

It’s a huge shame that Disney isn’t releasing Song of the South on DVD or Blu-ray. They could at least release it digitally!
Old 07-21-2019, 10:55 AM   #36

Aug 2016

I just hope I am still alive when The movie goes into public domain and when it does get released I will buy several copy's.

Last edited by Jim Pez; 07-22-2019 at 03:41 AM.
Old 07-21-2019, 10:47 PM   #37
Blu-ray Samurai

Aug 2016
Eastern Maryland
USA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Pez View Post
I just nope I am still alive when The movie goes into public domain and when it does get released I will buy several copy's.
Disney will probably get there copyright extended through congressional lobbying. I can bet or even willing to promise that Disney will not allow this ever to reach the public domain.
Old 07-22-2019, 12:35 AM   #38

Aug 2016

Well it is in public domain in Japan. I wish they would release a good blu Ray of the movie.
Old 07-24-2019, 01:48 AM   #39

Apr 2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by StarDestroyer52 View Post
Disney will probably get there copyright extended through congressional lobbying. I can bet or even willing to promise that Disney will not allow this ever to reach the public domain.
Disneyland released a new line of merchandise this month to commemorate the 30th anniversary of Splash Mountain's opening featuring the characters from the movie. Disney will likely want to keep the copyright on their design of Br'er Rabbit and the rest so that they can continue selling plush, t-shirts and other stuff.
Old 07-27-2019, 04:08 AM   #40

Mar 2016
Los Angeles, CA

Does anyone know how these folks are selling DVD copies of “Song of the South?”:

https://www.songofthesouth.org

Advertised in a banner ad on this site. Just curious considering the way Disney handles things.
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Blu-ray Movies - North America > Wish Lists