Best Blu-ray Movie Deals

Best Blu-ray Movie Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | New deals  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Australia Japan
Batman: The Complete Animated Series (Blu-ray)
$41.99
16 hrs ago
Twin Peaks: From Z to A (Blu-ray)
$121.79
2 hrs ago
Batman: 80th Anniversary 18-Film Collection (Blu-ray)
$49.96
15 hrs ago
Fast & Furious Presents: Hobbs & Shaw 4K (Blu-ray)
$16.99

Shaun of the Dead 4K / Hot Fuzz 4K / The World's End 4K (Blu-ray)
$24.99

Batman Beyond: The Complete Series (Blu-ray)
$60.99
16 hrs ago
Twin Peaks: The Television Collection (Blu-ray)
$49.99
16 hrs ago
Universal Classic Monsters: The Essential Collection (Blu-ray)
$29.99

Linda Ronstadt: The Sound of My Voice (Blu-ray)
$18.39

South Park: Seasons 1-5 (Blu-ray)
$29.99
15 hrs ago
Rambo: Last Blood 4K (Blu-ray)
$24.96

Avatar: The Last Airbender / The Legend of Korra - The Complete Collection (Blu-ray)
$49.99
48 min ago
What's your next favorite movie?
Join our movie community to find out

Image from: Life of Pi (2012)

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Entertainment > General Chat

Old 02-06-2008, 06:42 PM   #1

Feb 2007
Default Hollywood in High Def: "HD DVD Player Returns Outnumber New Stock"

If this was already posted then please forgive me.. But I did find this 2 be a very interesting read & should make plenty of us very happy here...

http://hollywoodinhidef.com/blog_detail.php?id=170

"February 5, 2008"
Happy WB 85th: HD DVD Player Returns Outnumber New Stock
Comments: 1
BURBANK -- Word working its way around the Warner Bros. 85th anniversary event on the studio lot Tuesday night was that some electronics retailers are being flooded with returns of HD DVD players.
In fact, so many are being returned that some retailers are in possession of more returned HD DVD players than new stock.
I won't tell you who said what or which retailers we're talking about, but I will tell you that execs from Amazon.com and Best Buy were in attendance
Old 02-06-2008, 06:46 PM   #2
Blu-ray Samurai

Jan 2007
CT, US

Outstanding!
Old 02-06-2008, 06:47 PM   #3
Expert Member

Jun 2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by hubcityrider View Post
If this was already posted then please forgive me.. But I did find this 2 be a very interesting read & should make plenty of us very happy here...

http://hollywoodinhidef.com/blog_detail.php?id=170

"February 5, 2008"
Happy WB 85th: HD DVD Player Returns Outnumber New Stock
Comments: 1
BURBANK -- Word working its way around the Warner Bros. 85th anniversary event on the studio lot Tuesday night was that some electronics retailers are being flooded with returns of HD DVD players.
In fact, so many are being returned that some retailers are in possession of more returned HD DVD players than new stock.
I won't tell you who said what or which retailers we're talking about, but I will tell you that execs from Amazon.com and Best Buy were in attendance

Whether it's been posted or not I have no idea, but this is great, but also not surprising news due to the fact that Blu-Ray continues to pick up momentum and HD-Dud continues to lose it. This is the year it all ends and Blu becomes the succesor.
Old 02-06-2008, 06:51 PM   #4
Blu-ray Samurai

May 2007
San Francisco Bay Blu-Ray SteelBooks™: (150+)

I have seen this first hand at my store and this is definitely true. I wouldn't say we were being flooded with them but I have seen a few DUD players returned.
Old 02-06-2008, 06:57 PM   #5

Oct 2007

I'm not surprised. A reader's comment after the article says:
"I am not surprised about the talk on hd-dvd players. I work at Best Buy and have to tell you that this is true. Luckily, I have always been honest with my customers about what the studio situation is, so no one is coming back and yelling at me, so I get very few hd-dvd player returns because I don't sell that many to begin with."

This situation is why I think the end for HD DVD will be quicker than most thought; in fact, I'm surprised Toshiba is still pushing. They've got to be making a massive headache for themselves down the road. Imagine being the proud new recipient of 100,000 unhappy new customers. Ouch.
Old 02-06-2008, 06:58 PM   #6
Blu-ray Ninja

Aug 2007

Me at Best buy watching HDDVD Players being returned
Old 02-06-2008, 07:01 PM   #7
Expert Member

Jun 2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonny View Post

LMAO!!!!
Old 02-06-2008, 07:12 PM   #8

Sep 2007

Warren Beatty still got it.

Quote:
Keeping to form, or at least his legendary reputation, Beatty took note of two young blonde execs in the audience from Best Buy and Amazon.com and said they could have "tested" for roles in "Bonnie and Clyde." The nearly 71-year-old actor whose youthful appearance and full head of hair belies his age, quickly noted, "But I'm not hitting on you." The ladies later rushed down to have their photo taken with him, one under each arm.
Old 02-06-2008, 07:15 PM   #9
Blu-ray Guru

Nov 2007
BC, Canada

Seems like lots of great news today. Returns will only quicken retailers dropping DUD completely

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonny View Post
Thanks for the laugh Awesome post
Old 02-06-2008, 07:18 PM   #10
Super Moderator

Jul 2007
Edo, Land of the Samurai

Good luck to the retailers in trying to get rid of all that unwanted hardware. It appears that Microsoft is trying a clearance on the 360 HD DVD add on.
Old 02-06-2008, 07:34 PM   #11
Expert Member

Nov 2007
San Diego, CA
Send a message via Yahoo to miokti

So if people are returning more HD-DVD players than buying them, shouldn't HD-DVD get a negative number in sales? They're only counting the sold ones but what they don't tell you is that most of the hardware they sell are returned.
Old 02-06-2008, 08:00 PM   #12
Special Member

Jan 2008
FL

Quote:
Originally Posted by miokti View Post
So if people are returning more HD-DVD players than buying them, shouldn't HD-DVD get a negative number in sales? They're only counting the sold ones but what they don't tell you is that most of the hardware they sell are returned.
To be fair no company ever releses this kind of information, and if you were Toshiba I do not think you would be the ones to try and break this trend, but they have been known to do stupid things before...

Last edited by jk1138; 02-06-2008 at 08:03 PM.
Old 02-06-2008, 08:22 PM   #13
Blu-ray Knight

Jan 2008
Wrestling in Ireland. PSNetwork: Nerdkiller316PSN Nerds beaten up: Loads

Nail that coffin, bring no flowers, call the fat lady and tell her to sing, cos if returning players don't convince Para and The "U" to go blu...then I don't know what will and if they continue to support and release for a dead format...I be seeing them at the format's funeral, taking care of a little business, [punches open palm]heh heh heh ([cuts to funeral scene] I want you both to sign here. [scribble, scribble] Alright thats done, [punch] and thats for you Para for accepting money for a dead format and [whack] and thats for you Uni for being with that format only, for the past 2 years, now, begone!).

Last edited by Nerdkiller likes BD; 02-06-2008 at 08:24 PM.
Old 02-06-2008, 08:26 PM   #14
Sound Insider/M.P.S.E.

Dec 2006

I talked a gentlemen out of buying the A-35 and talked him into buying a PS3 instead. Apparently some CC employees told him the disc were not as durable as HD DVD's. I told him to go to youtube and look up blu-ray disc durability tests. He was intrigued to say the least. He was also told that blu-ray players do not upconvert. I told him all bluray players upconvert. They also mentioned the profile arguement confusing customers, I told him to get a PS3 and he doesn't have to worry about it at all. When I told him all that the PS3 could do, and how easy it was to integrate into a wireless environment, he put the A-35 down, and inquired on a 80GB PS3 right away.

I do not mind Toshiba getting rid of inventory. Any good business would after their market has basically dried up. But to tell lies on another product just to sell them is unacceptable.
Old 02-06-2008, 08:41 PM   #15
Blu-ray Samurai

Jan 2007
Hercules, CA

Old 02-06-2008, 08:41 PM   #16
Special Member

Jul 2007
San Antonio, TX. PSN ID: Cyorg
Send a message via Yahoo to Cyorg

My BB only has 3 HD DVD players, and they're all open box sale items.
Old 02-06-2008, 08:50 PM   #17

Dec 2006
Seattle, Washington

That is great news if true, hopefully the returns will jumpstart retailers to stop stocking HD-DVD players which would quickly bring an end to this war and slam Toshiba right into a brick wall. We have heard retailers like Best Buy are quietly moving stock and will not be replenishing, but so far that is speculation/rumors as there has been no official word.
Old 02-07-2008, 12:18 AM   #18
Power Member

Sep 2006
B.C. Canada

We'll never know when Best Buy stops selling those paper weights, its not something they are going to discuss as they pawn off dud movies to unsuspecting customers, There should be a disclaimer in front of the dud movie section warning customers, buy at own risk. That way only the simpletons will continue to buy obsolete gear and media.
Old 02-07-2008, 12:22 AM   #19
Blu-ray Samurai

Sep 2006
Ireland

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sir Terrence View Post
I talked a gentlemen out of buying the A-35 and talked him into buying a PS3 instead. Apparently some CC employees told him the disc were not as durable as HD DVD's. I told him to go to youtube and look up blu-ray disc durability tests. He was intrigued to say the least. He was also told that blu-ray players do not upconvert. I told him all bluray players upconvert. They also mentioned the profile arguement confusing customers, I told him to get a PS3 and he doesn't have to worry about it at all. When I told him all that the PS3 could do, and how easy it was to integrate into a wireless environment, he put the A-35 down, and inquired on a 80GB PS3 right away.

I do not mind Toshiba getting rid of inventory. Any good business would after their market has basically dried up. But to tell lies on another product just to sell them is unacceptable.
That CC employee should be taken to task.
Old 02-07-2008, 05:03 AM   #20

Apr 2007
Default HD DVD Player Returns Outnumber New Stock

http://www.hollywoodinhidef.com/blog_detail.php?id=170

"BURBANK -- Word working its way around the Warner Bros. 85th anniversary event on the studio lot Tuesday night was that some electronics retailers are being flooded with returns of HD DVD players.
I won't tell you who said what or which retailers we're talking about, but I will tell you that execs from Amazon.com and Best Buy were in attendance."
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Entertainment > General Chat