Best Blu-ray Movie Deals

Cyber Monday Deals are Now Live »
Top deals | New deals  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Australia Japan
Star Trek 4K (Blu-ray)
$7.99
3 hrs ago
Gladiator 4K (Blu-ray)
$9.99

Friday the 13th: 8-Movie Collection (Blu-ray)
$12.99

Planet Earth II and Blue Planet II: The Collection 4K (Blu-ray)
$29.99

Black Sails: The Complete Collection (Blu-ray)
$24.99

Batman Beyond: The Complete Series (Blu-ray)
$60.99

Braveheart 4K (Blu-ray)
$9.99

Jack Ryan 5-Movie Collection (Blu-ray)
$9.99

Avatar - The Last Airbender: The Complete Series (Blu-ray)
$81.31

Dragon Ball Z: Seasons 1-9 Collection (Blu-ray)
$123.49

The Mummy Ultimate Trilogy 4K (Blu-ray)
$19.99

Mission: Impossible - 6 Movie Collection (Blu-ray)
$23.12

What's your next favorite movie?
Join our movie community to find out

Image from: Life of Pi (2012)

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Audio > Speakers

Old 06-14-2008, 04:31 AM   #21

Dec 2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by RUR View Post
Here's a wacky one which turned up as recommended by several folks in a "Best used speakers for $13K" thread, even though they cost "only" $7,900. I'd never heard of them until then.
Sason Review
http://www.stereomojo.com/SasonReview.htm

Also, Salk Sound is getting tons of excellent press lately.
http://www.salksound.com/gallery-avail.shtml
I've heard of Salk but I've never heard of Sason - those are drop dead gorgeous!!!! In the July issue of HT Magazine there's an add for a new speaker called Leon's. They look interesting.
Old 06-14-2008, 04:32 AM   #22

Dec 2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by RUR View Post
Be patient. They come up 3-4 times/year and sell comparatively cheaply. There's a devoted group of guys at the ML Club who believe that the CLS, paired with one or two subs, is the ultimate ML experience and one of the finest speakers ever made. The last A-gon pair went to the ML Club owner. Because they're straight panels, they may be driven with remarkably little power.

If you like, I'll keep an eye out.

It's an average price and one must be prepared to re-panel them @~$750/pair. ML's have legendary midrange and the CLS perhaps the best of all.
Keep your eyes peeled - especially in the month of July!!!!
Old 06-14-2008, 04:35 AM   #23

Dec 2007

Off subject - it seems like I've fished out all the audiophiles with my last few threads - Everyone doesn't come over here to talk about this stuff. If I ever plan to get back to 1st class I gotta' see and hear what 1st class is doin'! Thanks fellas!!!!!
Old 06-14-2008, 04:37 AM   #24

Dec 2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by tegal3 View Post
I used to own Martin Logan CLS IIZ, Request, SL3, Magnepan 1.6, Von Schweikert VR-4, Dunlavy SC-4. For me the best speaker from the one that had was Martin Logan CLS IIZ.
What do you think about the Dunlavy's, they are no longer made - that's sad to hear.
Old 06-14-2008, 09:32 AM   #25
Special Member

Mar 2006
Omaha, NE

I have never heard of Dunlavy's...Thats what happens when you are introduced to high end at the age of 19 though, you miss out on lots of cool, older stuff. My favorites these days are Maggies, Sonus Faber (big time favorite), my quads are lovely for their price), I like monitor audio, not a fan of marting logan unless you get past their design series (Magnolia Home Theatre carries these, but Magnolia Audio Video carries their higher end)
Old 06-14-2008, 04:14 PM   #26

Dec 2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by sokrman14 View Post
I have never heard of Dunlavy's...Thats what happens when you are introduced to high end at the age of 19 though, you miss out on lots of cool, older stuff. My favorites these days are Maggies, Sonus Faber (big time favorite), my quads are lovely for their price), I like monitor audio, not a fan of marting logan unless you get past their design series (Magnolia Home Theatre carries these, but Magnolia Audio Video carries their higher end)
Older Martin Logans such as CLS are classics . These were not hybrid Electrostaic/dynamic speakers but pure Electrostatics. Just beautiful to behold - and thats even before turning them on ! Google Dunlavy...at least you will be able to see what you've missed because of age - Glad to see a youngster into High-End audio!
Old 06-14-2008, 04:19 PM   #27

Aug 2007
Parker, CO

You mean there are other speakers out there besides Polk and klipsch?
Old 06-14-2008, 04:28 PM   #28

Dec 2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpgator View Post
You mean there are other speakers out there besides Polk and klipsch?
That's too funny!!!! But to mention Polk and Klipsch - lets talk about the ones that no one talks about Like the new Klipsch Palladium - first speaker to challange the Klipschorn for Klng of the horns at Klipsch, the Heritage line, or the old SDA/SRS and RTA days at Polk (Polk's golden age).
Old 06-14-2008, 05:50 PM   #29

Nov 2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by prerich View Post
What do you think about the Dunlavy's, they are no longer made - that's sad to hear.
I love Dunlavy's, their midrange surprisingly really good (close to planar or electrostatatic), but the treble is a little bit too bright & not as neutral as CLS in my opinion ( I am not an audiophiles, I am just an Audio Enthusiast so someone might disagree with me) .
It's sad that a lot of good audio companies are out of business like:
Dunlavy, Kinergetic Research (Chiro), Hales Audio, Golden Tube Audio, M&K.
Von Schweikert was also out of business for awhile before they're back in business.

Last edited by tegal3; 06-14-2008 at 05:58 PM.
Old 06-14-2008, 06:38 PM   #30
Special Member

Mar 2008
Grande Prairie, Alberta

Quote:
Originally Posted by prerich View Post
That's too funny!!!! But to mention Polk and Klipsch - lets talk about the ones that no one talks about Like the new Klipsch Palladium - first speaker to challange the Klipschorn for Klng of the horns at Klipsch, the Heritage line, or the old SDA/SRS and RTA days at Polk (Polk's golden age).
oooooh Palladiums
Old 06-16-2008, 08:03 PM   #31

Jun 2008

I have a pair of Magnepan MMG's. Not the best speaker they make, but excellent for the mains in a budget home theater system. Great for stereo listening with a sub woofer . Powered by the ONKYO TX-SR805. It is 4 ohm compatable. It was the choice for the Maggies because of that right there. Love the sound Maggies make, what they lack, and it really isn't much, is more than made up for with my Mirage sub. Most people run a sub in thier home system anyway. I let the maggies breathe and the mirage does the work, together they make wonderfull music.
Old 06-16-2008, 08:29 PM   #32
Special Member

Jun 2007

I have listened to way too many speakers. I eventually bought my Von Schweikerts, and never looked back.

Linkage: www.vonschweikert.com

Last edited by Woody; 06-16-2008 at 09:51 PM.
Old 06-16-2008, 09:40 PM   #33

Jan 2008
Juuuuuuuust A Bit Outside....

ME Wants MAGGIES
Old 06-16-2008, 10:03 PM   #34
Special Member

Jan 2007
Chicago

HOLY S*IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Are these things for real?!

Good lord how do you even get them in your house?!

First speakers I've seen that live up to the $80,000+ price tag.
Old 06-17-2008, 04:32 AM   #35
Blu-ray Samurai

Jun 2007
Kelowna, BC
Send a message via AIM to richteer

Quote:
Originally Posted by haushausman View Post
HOLY S*IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Are these things for real?!

Good lord how do you even get them in your house?!

First speakers I've seen that live up to the $80,000+ price tag.

They're real, all right. They're the (long discontinued) Apogee Grands. As for your second question: you start with a very big house! :-)
Old 06-17-2008, 03:37 PM   #36

Jan 2008
Juuuuuuuust A Bit Outside....

Quote:
Originally Posted by richteer View Post
They're real, all right. They're the (long discontinued) Apogee Grands. As for your second question: you start with a very big house! :-)
Those halogen lamps are a fire hazzard

Old 06-18-2008, 11:35 AM   #37

Sep 2007

I have a pair of Acoustat Spectra 1100 Hybrid electrostatic speakers. I bet no-one else has.

I love them.

My wife hates them.

Nick
Old 06-18-2008, 12:16 PM   #38
Blu-ray Guru

Oct 2006
Switzerland

Quote:
Originally Posted by richteer View Post
I'm always amazed to see people spend that amount of money on speakers and separates (and cables...) and leave their walls (close walls in this case) butt naked.
Old 06-18-2008, 12:50 PM   #39

Aug 2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beta Man View Post
I wish I had some maggies since most of those are catered to 2-channel, I doubt many do....
More than you think. I know of at least a dozen people I've run into online with maggie HTs besides myself and one meatspace friend.

I started off with a pair of MMGs, and now have 1.6s in front with a pair of big dipole woofers to fill in their low end, MMG sides and MGMC1 rears, and a pair of large subs.

You gotta have some room for the fronts to make it work though, no tucking them into corners or between RPTVs and plants or anything. The MGMC1s are designed to work off a wall mount, but I actually think the MMGs are a better deal for surrounds if you have the space.

BB
Old 06-18-2008, 12:53 PM   #40

Aug 2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by to1701 View Post
I have a pair of Magnepan MMG's. Not the best speaker they make, but excellent for the mains in a budget home theater system. Great for stereo listening with a sub woofer . Powered by the ONKYO TX-SR805. It is 4 ohm compatable. It was the choice for the Maggies because of that right there. Love the sound Maggies make, what they lack, and it really isn't much, is more than made up for with my Mirage sub. Most people run a sub in thier home system anyway. I let the maggies breathe and the mirage does the work, together they make wonderfull music.
Totally agree. I bought the MMGs as "temporary speakers" while I was building some nice DIY cone speakers for my HT. As you can see, I got derailed and now have a maggie HT, and the cone speakers are still slowly (i.e. 6 years later) being constructed for a music only 5 channel system in another room.

BB
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Audio > Speakers