Best 3D Blu-ray Deals

Best Blu-ray Movie Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | New deals  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Australia Japan
Godzilla: King of the Monsters 3D (Blu-ray)
$27.47

Parasite 3D (Blu-ray)
$19.89

Alita: Battle Angel 4K + 3D (Blu-ray)
$29.88

The Hobbit: The Motion Picture Trilogy 3D (Blu-ray)
$84.99

Finding Dory 3D (Blu-ray)
$23.99

Aquaman 3D (Blu-ray)
$18.33

Ready Player One 3D (Blu-ray)
$28.76
11 hrs ago
Dr. Seuss' The Lorax 3D (Blu-ray)
$13.64

Kylie Minogue: Aphrodite Les Folies - Live in London (Blu-ray)
$23.88
21 hrs ago
Happy Feet Two 3D (Blu-ray)
$13.94

Flying Swords of Dragon Gate 3D (Blu-ray)
$13.39

The Three Stooges in 3D (Blu-ray)
$8.02

What's your next favorite movie?
Join our movie community to find out

Image from: Life of Pi (2012)

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > 3D > 3D News and General Discussion

Old 09-11-2019, 09:02 PM   #1

Nov 2017
Los Angeles, CA
Cool 3D Enthusiast Organization

I've trying to gauge interest in creating a 3D enthusiast organization/website.

We all know 3D at home is currently in decline, but as long as studios are releasing 3D content, we will keep paying for it. 3D is not for everybody, and that's fine. For those of us who love 3D, an organization like this could really help promote and save the format.

It's likely to be an uphill battle, but we have to let them know we our out here, with money to spend. In fact, the only physical format many of us buy is 3D Blu-ray! (I see a lot of "No 3D = No Sale" comments.)

Of special interest to me is creating special edition Blu-ray 3D runs that can be crowdsourced using the pre-order model. (Thanks for the reminder Steedeel) Ideally, the pre-orders would cover the production costs, turn a profit and the company wouldn't be left with unsold stock. Additionally, partnering with VUDU to carry exclusive 1080p 3D titles for digital purchase would be a great benefit.

I've already got a lot of ideas for what the organization could do, but I'll save that for future posts. I would love to get feedback and ideas from you. Would you support an organization for 3D fandom, and what are some of your ideas for what a group like this could offer?

Thanks,

-Sean R.
Thanks given by:
8traxrule (09-12-2019), revgen (09-12-2019), Steedeel (09-11-2019)
Old 09-11-2019, 09:42 PM   #2
Blu-ray Prince

Apr 2011
England

Quote:
Originally Posted by roliwage View Post
I've trying to gauge interest in creating a 3D enthusiast organization/website.

We all know 3D at home is currently in decline, but as long as studios are releasing 3D content, we will keep paying for it. 3D is not for everybody, and that's fine. For those of us who love 3D, an organization like this could really help promote and save the format.

It's likely to be an uphill battle, but we have to let them know we our out here, with money to spend. In fact, the only physical format many of us buy is 3D Blu-ray! (I see a lot of "No 3D = No Sale" comments.)

Of special interest to me is creating special edition Blu-ray 3D runs that can be crowdsourced using the pre-order model. (Thanks for the reminder Steedeel) Ideally, the pre-orders would cover the production costs, turn a profit and the company wouldn't be left with unsold stock. Additionally, partnering with VUDU to carry exclusive 1080p 3D titles for digital purchase would be a great benefit.

I've already got a lot of ideas for what the organization could do, but I'll save that for future posts. I would love to get feedback and ideas from you. Would you support an organization for 3D fandom, and what are some of your ideas for what a group like this could offer?

Thanks,

-Sean R.
I think it needs to be social media. Having said that, 3D Blu-ray already has over 10,000 members on Facebook. If all of us joined that, it would be a start.
Thanks given by:
roliwage (09-11-2019)
Old 09-11-2019, 09:53 PM   #3
Blu-ray Samurai

Oct 2015
Bronx, NY

I'd love to participate. Let me know when I can sign up!

An organization representing and acting on behalf of 3D lovers might have some clout with the industry. Worth a shot?
Old 09-11-2019, 09:55 PM   #4

Nov 2017
Los Angeles, CA

Thanks Steedeel, Social Media would definitely be a component, but what I'm envisioning is a professional organization, backed by 3D fans, that would meet with and lobby studios, filmmakers, conversion houses etc. to support, rate and promote 3D content both at home and theatrically. I'm located in Los Angeles and have industry connections, but I want to gauge interest and support before I get the ball rolling.

Is this the group you're referring to?
https://www.facebook.com/groups/139841060077105/

Last edited by roliwage; 09-11-2019 at 10:03 PM.
Thanks given by:
revgen (09-12-2019), Steedeel (09-11-2019)
Old 09-11-2019, 09:57 PM   #5

Nov 2017
Los Angeles, CA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe D. View Post
I'd love to participate. Let me know when I can sign up!

An organization representing and acting on behalf of 3D lovers might have some clout with the industry. Worth a shot?
Exactly what I'm thinking Joe. Thanks!
Thanks given by:
Joe D. (09-12-2019)
Old 09-11-2019, 10:14 PM   #6
Blu-ray Prince

Apr 2011
England

Quote:
Originally Posted by roliwage View Post
Thanks Steedeel, Social Media would definitely be a component, but what I'm envisioning is a professional organization, backed by 3D fans, that would meet with and lobby studios, filmmakers, conversion houses etc. to support, rate and promote 3D content both at home and theatrically. I'm located in Los Angeles and have industry connections, but I want to gauge interest and support before I get the ball rolling.

Is this the group you're referring to?
https://www.facebook.com/groups/139841060077105/
Yes, that’s it. Future 3D titles need to be region free where possible though. That would be a huge boost. The 3D Golden age thread has some hardcore fans, ask in there also.
Thanks given by:
Joe D. (09-12-2019), roliwage (09-11-2019)
Old 09-12-2019, 02:36 AM   #7
Special Member

Jul 2009

I would absolutely support something like this. It could work similar to the upcoming "Filmmaker Mode" on TVs, which came about from complaints of TVs defaulting to the wrong picture settings. The consumer electronics industry has been incredibly frustrating to communicate wants and needs to, considering how much of my money they've gotten over the past 3 decades. The decision to drop 3D just as it was getting good was its biggest blunder of all time, and there have been a number of blunders before that.
Thanks given by:
Joe D. (09-12-2019), roliwage (09-12-2019), Steedeel (09-12-2019)
Old 09-12-2019, 11:22 AM   #8

Feb 2015
London, England

I'm all for supporting/funding physical releases but streaming services are worthless to me.

Most of the world can't get VUDU, so what use is that?
Thanks given by:
Steedeel (09-12-2019)
Old 09-12-2019, 04:06 PM   #9
Special Member

Mar 2010

Vudu seems to have dropped 3D. They still have the older titles available, but newer titles have been removed or no longer added.
Thanks given by:
roliwage (09-12-2019)
Old 09-12-2019, 04:10 PM   #10
Special Member

Oct 2013
Southern California, USA

I will never use facebook. Hopefully, it's another medium, like a website or forum.
Thanks given by:
br3ttD (09-12-2019), roliwage (09-12-2019)
Old 09-12-2019, 06:32 PM   #11

Nov 2017
Los Angeles, CA

Quote:
Originally Posted by revgen View Post
I will never use facebook. Hopefully, it's another medium, like a website or forum.
It would be mostly website-based, since I don't want to hitch my cart to any particular Social Media service. There would be pages on each service though, but all info needs to be centrally located.
Thanks given by:
revgen (09-12-2019)
Old 09-12-2019, 06:35 PM   #12

Nov 2017
Los Angeles, CA

Quote:
Originally Posted by film11 View Post
Vudu seems to have dropped 3D. They still have the older titles available, but newer titles have been removed or no longer added.
That's a bummer. I personally don't use it, but given enough fan support, they might reconsider. Obviously physical copies are preferred, but barring that, a service like VUDU might step up to fill the need. This is mainly for titles that received 3D theatrical releases, but not BR3D.

If VUDU had exclusive 3D content, they might be more interested in supporting such releases.
Old 09-12-2019, 06:36 PM   #13

Nov 2017
Los Angeles, CA

Quote:
Originally Posted by the13thman View Post
I'm all for supporting/funding physical releases but streaming services are worthless to me.

Most of the world can't get VUDU, so what use is that?
VUDU or streaming would be more of a "better than nothing" approach if a company won't release physical media.
Old 09-12-2019, 06:40 PM   #14

Nov 2017
Los Angeles, CA

Quote:
Originally Posted by 8traxrule View Post
I would absolutely support something like this. It could work similar to the upcoming "Filmmaker Mode" on TVs, which came about from complaints of TVs defaulting to the wrong picture settings. The consumer electronics industry has been incredibly frustrating to communicate wants and needs to, considering how much of my money they've gotten over the past 3 decades. The decision to drop 3D just as it was getting good was its biggest blunder of all time, and there have been a number of blunders before that.
Thanks! I agree with you. The industry sold a bunch of us on 3D, then slowly started abandoning us. 3D fans organizing might help stoke the fire. It's worth a shot to let them know we're out here. We're not the biggest slice of the pie chart, but we still have money to spend.
Thanks given by:
8traxrule (09-14-2019), Joe D. (09-14-2019)
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > 3D > 3D News and General Discussion