Best Blu-ray Movie Deals

Best Blu-ray Movie Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | New deals  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Australia Japan
007: The Daniel Craig Collection 4K (Blu-ray)
$39.99
3 hrs ago
Batman Beyond (Blu-ray)
$69.96

Paganini Horror (Blu-ray)
$23.49
14 hrs ago
The Thing (Blu-ray)
$10.39

Ready or Not (Blu-ray)
$19.99
20 hrs ago
Joker 4K (Blu-ray)
$29.99

Aladdin (Blu-ray)
$18.00

Once Upon a Time... in Hollywood (Blu-ray)
$24.99

The Prodigy (Blu-ray)
$10.00

Dragon Ball Super: Part 9 (Blu-ray)
$24.99

Hereditary (Blu-ray)
$4.99

Scarface 4K (Blu-ray)
$57.22

What's your next favorite movie?
Join our movie community to find out

Image from: Life of Pi (2012)

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Movies

Old 09-13-2019, 06:11 PM   #1
Blu-ray Knight

Mar 2008
Default In the Tall Grass (Netflix)

When siblings Becky and Cal hear the cries of a young boy lost within a field of tall grass, they venture in to rescue him, only to become ensnared themselves by a sinister force that quickly disorients and separates them. Cut off from the world and unable to escape the field’s tightening grip, they soon discover that the only thing worse than getting lost is being found.

Golden Globe nominee Patrick Wilson (Fargo, Aquaman), Laysla De Oliveria (Covert Affairs, Code 8), and Harrison Gilbertson (Need for Speed, Picnic at Hanging Rock) star in
Thanks given by:
Heinz-Klett (09-13-2019), Monterey Jack (09-13-2019)
Old 09-13-2019, 06:52 PM   #2
Blu-ray Prince

Oct 2011

New Stephen King movie for October? yes, please.
Thanks given by:
Mobe1969 (10-05-2019)
Old 09-17-2019, 03:14 PM   #3

Mar 2016

Old 09-17-2019, 04:45 PM   #4
Blu-ray Grand Duke

Jul 2013
Michigan

Looks like it could be good.
Old 09-17-2019, 05:18 PM   #5
Blu-ray Prince

Oct 2011

Netflix has a damn good track record with King adaptations (Gerald's Game, 1922), so I'm all-in.
Old 10-04-2019, 06:16 PM   #6
Blu-ray Guru

May 2010

This popped up for me today so I checked it out. I just finished watching it.

For me it will be one of the more memorable Stephen King movies. Because of pure weirdness. Recommended if you like really bizarre shit. Best way to describe it, just weird, lol. But in a fun way. I liked it.

In a way it seems kind of a variation of Children Of The Corn since the idea is of some kind of demonic field of tall grass rather than corn. But the similarity ends there. Because it's different.
[Show spoiler] Well actually, if they made a sequel it could end up exactly like children of the corn if some kids got possessed by the demonic grass and took over the near by town/towns lol. Maybe they could have the grass field grow and engulf an entire small country town. That might be interesting.

If you have even a mild interest in this kind of thing watch it...

Last edited by Lovemy3D; 10-04-2019 at 06:24 PM.
Old 10-04-2019, 10:58 PM   #7
Special Member

Sep 2011

I've been waiting for this film. What sucks is that because it's a Netflix film, there is zero chance of a Blu-ray or DVD release in the US. Hopefully, it will get a Blu-ray release in another region.
Old 10-05-2019, 02:41 AM   #8
Banned

Nov 2009

I thought this was pretty boring and uneventful.
Old 10-05-2019, 03:09 AM   #9
Blu-ray Knight

Nov 2007
KIC8462852

Is it really that violent? They put violence as severe on IMDB.
Old 10-05-2019, 04:26 AM   #10
Banned

Nov 2009

I didn't think so. I thought it was rather tame.
Thanks given by:
aiman04 (10-05-2019)
Old 10-05-2019, 06:52 AM   #11
Expert Member

Aug 2012
Above ground

Well, I haven't seen the film yet, but I wanted just to drop in a brief comment in response to the official review by Brian Orndorf, who I almost ALWAYS agree with. He made the statement in his review of this film that the director Natali had not since 'matched' his excellent film 'CUBE'... Well, I vehemently beg to differ this time. His film 'CYPHER' is by far one of my very favourite Science Fiction Thrillers! That movie is put together SO well, I mean talk about not only GREAT Science Fiction, which I feel is rather hard to come by, but the friggin' Mystery & Suspense and just the basic story (especially when you finally find out what the hell is going on) is truly one of the most enjoyable and engaging Science Fiction films.

DAMN good movie if anyone here likes a super intriguing, mysterious story and really good Sci Fi!
Old 10-05-2019, 07:00 AM   #12
Blu-ray Samurai

May 2016
Deceased

Quote:
Originally Posted by Latheofheaven View Post
Well, I haven't seen the film yet, but I wanted just to drop in a brief comment in response to the official review by Brian Orndorf, who I almost ALWAYS agree with. He made the statement in his review of this film that the director Natali had not since 'matched' his excellent film 'CUBE'... Well, I vehemently beg to differ this time. His film 'CYPHER' is by far one of my very favourite Science Fiction Thrillers! That movie is put together SO well, I mean talk about not only GREAT Science Fiction, which I feel is rather hard to come by, but the friggin' Mystery & Suspense and just the basic story (especially when you finally find out what the hell is going on) is truly one of the most enjoyable and engaging Science Fiction films.

DAMN good movie if anyone here likes a super intriguing, mysterious story and really good Sci Fi!
Do you really "almost always agree" with Brian Orndorf???
Thanks given by:
4000dvds2many (10-07-2019)
Old 10-05-2019, 07:36 AM   #13
Expert Member

Aug 2012
Above ground

Quote:
Originally Posted by oilers73 View Post
Do you really "almost always agree" with Brian Orndorf???
Heh... since you ask, and if you're not simply being a smart@ss, then yes, I usually do agree with his reviews and he is one of the ones I always make a point to read if I can as to whether I would be interested in watching a film.

There are a handful of reviewers I always try to make sure to read if I can. Blood Brothers, Ian Jane (Rock Shock Pop, if I have that in the right order) Fantastic Musings & Ramblings (usually for older Horror / Sci Fi films) Moria, although I do NOT always agree with him, and The Arrow, to name ones that I can remember. And, if it is on Blu-ray, the other reviewers here, although sometimes I strongly disagree with them and will once in a great while write my own if I feel strongly enough about it...
Old 10-05-2019, 07:48 AM   #14
Banned

Nov 2008
Berlin, Germany

Quote:

I thought Nataliís monster movie Split was very good too.
Thanks given by:
Latheofheaven (10-05-2019), Monterey Jack (10-05-2019)
Old 10-05-2019, 11:13 AM   #15
Blu-ray Guru

May 2010

Quote:

Oh, I don't think I've ever read an official review. I don't much care about them and don't agree most of the times anyways so don't bother. I mean, I'll take a recommendation since I'm always looking for something new and fun to watch. But generally I just watch something for a while, if it bores me I switch to something else. I hate when I watch an entire season of a boring show just hoping it might get interesting at some point, lol.

I loved Cube though, that was wild.

But to me, a movie like In The Tall Grass I wouldn't even take serious enough for an official review lol. It's a Stephen King movie... I wasn't expecting much going into it. I was just hoping for something mildly entertaining at best, something kind of fun. Nothing against Stephen king, a great writer at times and I'm a fan of many of his books. But most of the movies are very mediocre translations. Some are better than others.

I enjoyed In The Tall Grass because it took a very strange turn and I enjoy unexpected weird shit. No matter how dumb the concept is.
[Show spoiler] A field of tall grass possessed by a demonic rock or whatever the **** it was lol. One of my favorite quotes now. "The rock taught me how to listen to the grass, and the grass knows everything." So stupid it's brilliant lol. if I was still a pot smoker, this is the kind of thing I'd would have loved to watch stoned.
I found it entertaining.

I didn't find the movie to be in any way scary or suspenseful. Just fun and bizarre with a kind of clever twist.
Thanks given by:
Latheofheaven (10-05-2019), Mobe1969 (10-05-2019)
Old 10-05-2019, 11:27 AM   #16
Blu-ray Ninja

Jan 2008
Brisbane, Australia

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lovemy3D View Post
Oh, I don't think I've ever read an official review. I don't much care about them and don't agree most of the times anyways so don't bother. I mean, I'll take a recommendation since I'm always looking for something new and fun to watch. But generally I just watch something for a while, if it bores me I switch to something else. I hate when I watch an entire season of a boring show just hoping it might get interesting at some point, lol.
I'm the same. The PERSONAL opinion of one person has absolutely no interest to me.i look at reviewers as an anachronism. They are a leftover of the pre internet age where a review was the only method you had to read about a movie from the perspective of a viewer. That is not the case now. And that goes for reviews here. The whole film section of the review I NEVER read, and have no interest in. I'm just interested in their review of the technical side.

I tend to just extract the vibe of a forum thread here, or in some cases go to IMDb and look for positive user reviews, and I ignore ever single negative one. I'm more interested in reading what a person likes about a film, and if that like element is something that resonates with me. The negative side I have zero interest in. I mean the amount of people that heap XXXX on Feig's Ghostbusters that have never seen it is just mind boggling. Personally, I love it so much.. it is my first or second or third fav Feig movie. I can't honestly decide if I like it more than Spy or The Heat or not.

Last edited by Mobe1969; 10-05-2019 at 11:31 AM.
Thanks given by:
Lovemy3D (10-05-2019)
Old 10-05-2019, 11:58 AM   #17
Blu-ray Guru

May 2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mobe1969 View Post
I'm the same. The PERSONAL opinion of one person has absolutely no interest to me.i look at reviewers as an anachronism. They are a leftover of the pre internet age where a review was the only method you had to read about a movie from the perspective of a viewer. That is not the case now. And that goes for reviews here. The whole film section of the review I NEVER read, and have no interest in. I'm just interested in their review of the technical side.

I tend to just extract the vibe of a forum thread here, or in some cases go to IMDb and look for positive user reviews, and I ignore ever single negative one. I'm more interested in reading what a person likes about a film, and if that like element is something that resonates with me. The negative side I have zero interest in. I mean the amount of people that heap XXXX on Feig's Ghostbusters that have never seen it is just mind boggling. Personally, I love it so much.. it is my first or second or third fav Feig movie. I can't honestly decide if I like it more than Spy or The Heat or not.
yeah, everyone has a different opinion and everyone likes different things. So it's hard saying. To me it seems most reviews rave about the kind of boring shit I hate, and trash all over the fun stuff I like so I don't bother.

And I've gotten pretty use to most people on this site being into different things than I am. Even in the video game section hardly anyone ever into what I'm playing.

To this day, I still rate "It Follows" As the poster board for stupid movies, or stupid ideas for a story. An STD ghost that follows people, very slowly and you can't get rid of until you **** someone so you can pass it to them... Out of curiosity I looked to see what other people were saying about it and was so surprised to see so many people saying it was a great movie.
Thanks given by:
Mobe1969 (10-06-2019)
Old 10-05-2019, 12:17 PM   #18
Blu-ray Guru

May 2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by aiman04 View Post
Is it really that violent? They put violence as severe on IMDB.
Sorry, didn't see your post at first. Well, maybe a couple parts. One scene in particular was gruesome, briefly. But it's not like there is a ton of gruesome violence all the way through. I'm a little surprised they would label it as a severely violent movie. There is much much worse out there in that regard. So I think they just based that label off the one particular moment in the movie where something severely violent does happen to someone.
Thanks given by:
aiman04 (10-05-2019), Latheofheaven (10-05-2019)
Old 10-05-2019, 07:16 PM   #19
Expert Member

Aug 2012
Above ground

Quote:
Originally Posted by Todd Tomorrow View Post
I thought Nataliís monster movie Split was very good too.
Yes, it was very well done. Just for my personal taste, I got just a tad creeped out on the sexual angle, but overall a good film. IIRC, and it's been a while, I seem to remember having an impression that the histrionics got a little much between the husband and wife, but to be honest I really should go back and give it another watch...
Old 10-05-2019, 07:24 PM   #20
Expert Member

Aug 2012
Above ground

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mobe1969 View Post

Of course, objectively, if we had all the time in the world to watch everything that struck our fancy, then you would be absolutely right!

However, being time constrained to some degree as we all are, I like to try to narrow it down by eliminating anything where I get a strong impression that it would be a waste of time. Thus my finding a handful of reviewers who I feel that I agree with most of the time. Oh, BTW, I forgot a REALLY important one. Mainly because he has always been very nice to me and a great guy... Nat at Mondo Digital. I like his reviews too. I know he doesn't say many negative things about the films he reviews, but he usually does give some great information, background, and insights into the movies.

But hey, if you have time to watch EVERYTHING, good or bad, then sure, in the absolute sense why would you need reviewers.

But, in my case, I honestly do kind of need the filter to help manage the amount of time it takes to watch the bloody things!
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Movies