Best DVD Deals

Best DVD Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | New deals  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Australia Netherlands Japan Mexico
Fatima (DVD)
$9.99
1 day ago
Thorn Birds Collector's Set (DVD)
$12.96

Tenet (DVD)
$12.99

Come Play (DVD)
$14.96
10 hrs ago
Let Him Go (DVD)
$17.96
18 hrs ago
Wild Mountain Thyme (DVD)
$14.96
1 day ago
Best of Warner Bros. 20 Film Collection Romance (DVD)
$19.96
11 hrs ago
Little Shop of Horrors (DVD)
$5.00
12 hrs ago
Young Sheldon: The Complete Third Season (DVD)
$9.96

Seal Team: Season Two (DVD)
$15.96

The Pacific (DVD)
$12.96

Love, Weddings & Other Disasters (DVD)
$13.99
1 day ago
What's your next favorite movie?
Join our movie community to find out

Image from: Life of Pi (2012)

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > DVD Movies

Old 01-24-2021, 01:21 AM   #61

Feb 2015

Quote:
Originally Posted by Streamingsux View Post
This is unacceptable. 1.85:1 to 1.78:1 isn't preferable but...I can certainly live with it.

But 2.35:1 to 1.78:1 is trash. I wish they would just leave every single theatrical ratio (with the exception of IMAX scenes in 2.35/39/40:1 being 1.78:1 instead of 1.44:1) EXACTLY as it was in the theater. No matter how small the alteration. An alteration is an alteration..
In the case of Final Destination 3 at least you weren't losing any information, only gaining image on the top and bottom.

Another couple of titles from Alliance I have are Reindeer Games (1st Edition) or 1408 which were 2.35:1 in theatres but cropped on the sides to 1.78:1.
Old 01-24-2021, 03:57 AM   #62

Feb 2018
Texas

Gaining information is certainly preferable to losing information but movies were framed certain ways for a reason and anything that deviates from that is something that I have a hard time accepting. I don't begrudge folks who aren't as bothered by it....this is totally just my own feelings on the matter..
Old Yesterday, 10:09 AM   #63
Special Member

Feb 2011

Quote:
movies were framed certain ways for a reason and anything that deviates from that is something that I have a hard time accepting
I generally agree with above statement, but just check out "The Quest" with Van Damme - 2.35:1 version (which is on blu-ray) is unwatchable for me. Both 1.78:1 or 1.33:1 Open Matte DVDs are way better framed.

[Show spoiler]Blu-ray / DVD 1.78:1 / DVD 4:3

Last edited by Gieferg; Yesterday at 07:06 PM.
Thanks given by:
NDcowboy (Yesterday), ps3bd_owner (Yesterday), SpazeBlue (Yesterday)
Old Yesterday, 05:51 PM   #64
Blu-ray Knight

Jan 2012
Bedford Falls

Ugh, now I'm getting nostalgic and wanting to watch some open-matte transfers. That example above definitely does look like a preferable viewing experience for the non-scope.

Is there a list of other films where there's somewhat of an agreed upon preference for the matted version?
Old Yesterday, 07:11 PM   #65
Special Member

Feb 2011

Well, "The Quest" is the only one I'm aware of, that 2.35:1 version is a disaster, but there are some movies I like to watch in both wide- and fullscreen, for example:

T2 VHS vs DVD*
[Show spoiler]

T3 Fullscreen DVD vs Widescreen DVD
[Show spoiler]

There is also russian fullscreen DVD of T2 and I've watched 1.78:1 version of T3 once on TV.

From what I remember, Highlander III may be preferable in 4:3 (even if widescreen version doesn't seem to be butchered like The Quest). I can also recommend "The Abyss" in open-matte fullscreen which is the best looking DVD of that movie out there. You may find Running Man with Arnie in nice open matte, but there's also panned and scanned version (4:3 from 2 disc special edition) to be avoided.

Ive just bought Canadian DVD of Fellowship of The Ring, just to see that movie in a form similar to what I saw on VHS in early 00's.

And one more interesting thing:

[Show spoiler]

Last edited by Gieferg; Yesterday at 07:40 PM.
Thanks given by:
CelestialAgent (Yesterday), NDcowboy (Yesterday)
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > DVD Movies