Best 4K Blu-ray Deals

Best Blu-ray Movie Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | Price drops  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Japan
The Equalizer 2 4K (Blu-ray)
$29.99
14 hrs ago
Sicario: Day of the Soldado 4K (Blu-ray)
$24.99
19 hrs ago
First Man 4K (Blu-ray)
$29.45
 
Halloween 4K (Blu-ray)
$13.00
 
A Star Is Born 4K (Blu-ray)
$29.99
 
Venom 4K (Blu-ray)
$29.99
 
The House with a Clock in Its Walls 4K (Blu-ray)
$27.99
23 hrs ago
Maze Runner: The Scorch Trials 4K (Blu-ray)
$9.99
 
The Maze Runner 4K (Blu-ray)
$9.99
 
Planet Earth II 4K (Blu-ray)
$27.99
 
Mike and Dave Need Wedding Dates 4K (Blu-ray)
$9.99
55 min ago
Constantine: City of Demons: The Movie 4K (Blu-ray)
$19.99
 
What's your next favorite movie?
Join our movie community to find out


Image from: Life of Pi (2012)

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Ultra HD Blu-ray and 4K > Ultra HD Blu-ray and 4K Hardware and Technology


Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-21-2018, 08:03 PM   #1
Grinny Grinny is offline
Member
 
Aug 2017
Default Dolby Atmos Soundbar - Best Product

Hi guys
Iam looking for a good Dolby Atmos soundbar, I will want to use it with Apple 4K TV and play 4K blu Tay discs through my Sony X800

Any recommendations many thanks
  Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2018, 08:22 PM   #2
HD Goofnut HD Goofnut is offline
Blu-ray Grand Duke
 
HD Goofnut's Avatar
 
May 2010
Your resident Dune, Star Wars, and war film expert
77
1333
98
468
613
133
38
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grinny View Post
Hi guys
Iam looking for a good Dolby Atmos soundbar, I will want to use it with Apple 4K TV and play 4K blu Tay discs through my Sony X800

Any recommendations many thanks
IMHO a soundbar will never sound as good as multiple speakers. However, my dad uses a Bose stereo as a soundbar and it sounds better than any other soundbar I have heard.
  Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2018, 08:59 PM   #3
oddbox83 oddbox83 is online now
Blu-ray Samurai
 
oddbox83's Avatar
 
Sep 2013
UK
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grinny View Post
Hi guys
Iam looking for a good Dolby Atmos soundbar, I will want to use it with Apple 4K TV and play 4K blu Tay discs through my Sony X800

Any recommendations many thanks
I'd recommend Samsung products for Dolby Atmos sound bars as their new range is superb and fixes the ills of their previous models. The new models N850 and N950 also do DTS:X, which is DTS's version of Dolby Atmos that is used on some 4K discs.

It doesn't come cheap, but the Samsung N950 is the current market leader in this niche. The older K950 is a lot cheaper but doesn't do DTS-HD of any kind and has other issues I won't go into here.

The Samsung N850 loses the rear speakers but like the N950 is one of the very few to do all current audio formats. Again, it replaces the problematic K850.

LG will do the job but for the price reviewers have felt underwhelmed. They fail to learn what Samsung has via their mistakes. Again a bizarre lack of DTS support.

Sony have several Atmos bars out there, but all but 1 fake it. To their credit they have rolled out a DTS update on some models.
  Reply With Quote
Thanks given by:
Grinny (09-22-2018), Zoland2020 (09-22-2018)
Old 09-22-2018, 02:01 AM   #4
IITravel01 IITravel01 is online now
Active Member
 
Apr 2017
Default

He said the best soundbar:
https://us.creative.com/soniccarrier/ $4K
  Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2018, 03:22 AM   #5
slimdude slimdude is online now
Blu-ray Knight
 
slimdude's Avatar
 
Apr 2009
-
-
8
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by IITravel01 View Post
He said the best soundbar:
https://us.creative.com/soniccarrier/ $4K
Anybody who's willing to pay $5,800.00 for a soundbar, they need to have their head examined. My entire home theater, including my LG- 65" OLED 4K TV, that I've just bought last year, didn't cost that much.
  Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2018, 10:50 AM   #6
oddbox83 oddbox83 is online now
Blu-ray Samurai
 
oddbox83's Avatar
 
Sep 2013
UK
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by IITravel01 View Post
He said the best soundbar:
https://us.creative.com/soniccarrier/ $4K
No he didn't. He said a good one, not an obscene one. I'm with slimdude on this one!
  Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2018, 01:34 PM   #7
Grinny Grinny is offline
Member
 
Aug 2017
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by HD Goofnut View Post
IMHO a soundbar will never sound as good as multiple speakers. However, my dad uses a Bose stereo as a soundbar and it sounds better than any other soundbar I have heard.
Cheers
My lounge is very small and no room for multiple speakers , soundbar and 1 subwoofer is enough plus wife won’t be impressed with extra speakers lol
  Reply With Quote
Thanks given by:
HD Goofnut (09-23-2018)
Old 09-22-2018, 01:45 PM   #8
oddbox83 oddbox83 is online now
Blu-ray Samurai
 
oddbox83's Avatar
 
Sep 2013
UK
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grinny View Post
Cheers
My lounge is very small and no room for multiple speakers , soundbar and 1 subwoofer is enough plus wife won’t be impressed with extra speakers lol
I'd definitely recommend the N850 then. You won't get true surrounds but will get discrete 5.1.2 with all the codec support you need for Blu and 4K even if the soundstage will be front based with bouncing effects to mimic surround and ceiling speakers. That's the compromise you make when you can't have a full speaker setup but still want true discrete Atmos channels. How convincing the bouncing effects will be depends on your room construction and layout but you'll still get superb sound quality regardless.

https://www.samsung.com/us/televisio...os-hw-n850-za/

The N850 and N950 really do seem to be the cream of the crop at the moment (at the premium but affordable end of the market anyway) and everyone else needs to play catch-up (especially LG who want to be the go to choice for premium soundbars but just can't seem to grasp it)

Last edited by oddbox83; 09-22-2018 at 01:54 PM.
  Reply With Quote
Thanks given by:
Grinny (09-22-2018)
Old 09-22-2018, 05:05 PM   #9
Grinny Grinny is offline
Member
 
Aug 2017
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by oddbox83 View Post
I'd definitely recommend the N850 then. You won't get true surrounds but will get discrete 5.1.2 with all the codec support you need for Blu and 4K even if the soundstage will be front based with bouncing effects to mimic surround and ceiling speakers. That's the compromise you make when you can't have a full speaker setup but still want true discrete Atmos channels. How convincing the bouncing effects will be depends on your room construction and layout but you'll still get superb sound quality regardless.

https://www.samsung.com/us/televisio...os-hw-n850-za/

The N850 and N950 really do seem to be the cream of the crop at the moment (at the premium but affordable end of the market anyway) and everyone else needs to play catch-up (especially LG who want to be the go to choice for premium soundbars but just can't seem to grasp it)
Had at look at the N850 very tempted but looked st the dimensions the soundbar is very thick 83mm, as I will be placing in front of the TV my panel is 74mm height from the TV cabinet/consule it sits on
Sticking it on a wall be no option as I live in an apartment so share a wall, I doubt my neighbor be happy with the booming noise

Could place something under the tv stand which is in the center of the tv panel

Last edited by Grinny; 09-22-2018 at 05:11 PM.
  Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2018, 06:13 PM   #10
IITravel01 IITravel01 is online now
Active Member
 
Apr 2017
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by oddbox83 View Post
No he didn't. He said a good one, not an obscene one. I'm with slimdude on this one!
Good lord, look at the title of the thread he wrote and find something else to argue about.
  Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2018, 07:50 PM   #11
oddbox83 oddbox83 is online now
Blu-ray Samurai
 
oddbox83's Avatar
 
Sep 2013
UK
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grinny View Post
Could place something under the tv stand which is in the center of the tv panel
If you do that then trust me, you're utterly wasting your money getting any form of surround or Atmos bar. At best you won't get any Atmos effect, at worst you'll get a muffled mess of a soundstage. Upfiring and side-firing speakers absolutely need nothing at all in the way.

You want an Atmos bar yet have so many limitations you're honestly better off just getting a good 2.1 or 3.1 bar if you can't find one that will sit unhindered on top of your stand under the TV.

Last edited by oddbox83; 09-22-2018 at 07:56 PM.
  Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2018, 08:46 PM   #12
WHollisCT WHollisCT is offline
Junior Member
 
Jul 2017
Default

Read the specifics VERY carefully! I just scooped up a Samsung K850, but it will only support 4k disc Atmos, nothing else. No Netflix, no Amazon Prime, no Vudu.

I also continue to have ongoing issues with their QLED Q6F tv. Appears they won’t acknowledge firmware issues with the hdmi TV ARC connection! I had it for three months and despite replacement of the circuit board and latest firmware update in August still chronic issues.

Disgraceful, and I’d never buy another Samsung TV again. Zero issues with my LG OLED! Including an older top of the line soundbar.

But the sound is incredible and took about 15 minutes to connect everything without issues.
  Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2018, 11:21 PM   #13
Grinny Grinny is offline
Member
 
Aug 2017
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by oddbox83 View Post
If you do that then trust me, you're utterly wasting your money getting any form of surround or Atmos bar. At best you won't get any Atmos effect, at worst you'll get a muffled mess of a soundstage. Upfiring and side-firing speakers absolutely need nothing at all in the way.

You want an Atmos bar yet have so many limitations you're honestly better off just getting a good 2.1 or 3.1 bar if you can't find one that will sit unhindered on top of your stand under the TV.



I was hoping to raise the TV 10mm by placing a pad underneath the centre stand so the Soundbar doesn’t obscure the screen then place the Soundbar in front out the TV on top of the cabinet

2E0A5EB2-ED38-425A-9C07-2A612D5D67E7.jpg
  Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2018, 02:52 AM   #14
oddbox83 oddbox83 is online now
Blu-ray Samurai
 
oddbox83's Avatar
 
Sep 2013
UK
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by WHollisCT View Post
Read the specifics VERY carefully! I just scooped up a Samsung K850, but it will only support 4k disc Atmos, nothing else. No Netflix, no Amazon Prime, no Vudu.
I'm sure I've read the N950 does Atmos over ARC for streaming services, but it must be via a TV that has Atmos support like the current LG OLEDs. I'm sure the N850 will be identical. It's the limitation of ARC in that you're limited to what the TV can do.
  Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2018, 08:58 AM   #15
Grinny Grinny is offline
Member
 
Aug 2017
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by oddbox83 View Post
I'm sure I've read the N950 does Atmos over ARC for streaming services, but it must be via a TV that has Atmos support like the current LG OLEDs. I'm sure the N850 will be identical. It's the limitation of ARC in that you're limited to what the TV can do.
Apologies in advance for a stupid question, does Dolby Atmos speakers/soundbars work with any 4K tv?
As previous mentioned about specs

I have Sony 55XD9305
  Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2018, 03:28 PM   #16
oddbox83 oddbox83 is online now
Blu-ray Samurai
 
oddbox83's Avatar
 
Sep 2013
UK
Default

The Sony ZF9 in 64mm tall so that should fit. It's only 3.1 discrete channel but includes Atmos and DTS:X processing and has good reviews. Has enough HDMI inputs for you 4K player and 4K AppleTV and anything else via ARC. You can add optional wireless rears if ever you are able to.

If you input directly into the bar the TV does nothing with the sound. If you use TV apps or anything plugged into the TV and use the ARC HDMI channel you are limited to what the TV can process. Set everything to bitstream and you should get DD and DTS 5.1 just fine over ARC, I have no idea if your TV sends Atmos or not. But like I said, it's not any issue if you plug the players directly into the two HDMI inputs on the bar.

Last edited by oddbox83; 09-23-2018 at 03:38 PM.
  Reply With Quote
Thanks given by:
Grinny (09-23-2018)
Old 09-23-2018, 05:01 PM   #17
Grinny Grinny is offline
Member
 
Aug 2017
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by oddbox83 View Post
The Sony ZF9 in 64mm tall so that should fit. It's only 3.1 discrete channel but includes Atmos and DTS:X processing and has good reviews. Has enough HDMI inputs for you 4K player and 4K AppleTV and anything else via ARC. You can add optional wireless rears if ever you are able to.

If you input directly into the bar the TV does nothing with the sound. If you use TV apps or anything plugged into the TV and use the ARC HDMI channel you are limited to what the TV can process. Set everything to bitstream and you should get DD and DTS 5.1 just fine over ARC, I have no idea if your TV sends Atmos or not. But like I said, it's not any issue if you plug the players directly into the two HDMI inputs on the bar.
Many thanks I check out Sony ZF9
Just to clarify , i stick the soundbar into ARC and connect Sony x800 4K player and Apple TV 4K via the hdmi ports on the soundbar I will get Dolby Atmos?
As these 2 players I will be using for watching movies in Atmos

Just checked spec for my TV nothing about Dolby Atmos

DOLBY AUDIO FORMAT SUPPORT
Dolby™ Digital, Dolby™ Digital Plus, Dolby™ Pulse

DTS AUDIO FORMAT SUPPORT
DTS Digital Surround
  Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2018, 06:30 PM   #18
oddbox83 oddbox83 is online now
Blu-ray Samurai
 
oddbox83's Avatar
 
Sep 2013
UK
Default

Yes, connect the ARC port to the ARC port on the TV and comment your 4k player and Apple to the two dedicated HDMI inputs on the soundbar. Set the players and the TV to bitstream, not PCM in audio settings, that way the bar does all the work and you won't lose any surround and Atmos info.

You won't get true discrete Atmos with a bar of this sort but it does process the Atmos signal and use the information appropriately. This one from reviews I've read makes a good crack at opening the sound up, and of course you'll get a true discrete 3.1 frontstage which IMO will make the biggest difference from TV speakers or a stereo bar.

Review
  Reply With Quote
Thanks given by:
Grinny (09-23-2018)
Old 09-23-2018, 06:59 PM   #19
Grinny Grinny is offline
Member
 
Aug 2017
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by oddbox83 View Post
Yes, connect the ARC port to the ARC port on the TV and comment your 4k player and Apple to the two dedicated HDMI inputs on the soundbar. Set the players and the TV to bitstream, not PCM in audio settings, that way the bar does all the work and you won't lose any surround and Atmos info.

You won't get true discrete Atmos with a bar of this sort but it does process the Atmos signal and use the information appropriately. This one from reviews I've read makes a good crack at opening the sound up, and of course you'll get a true discrete 3.1 frontstage which IMO will make the biggest difference from TV speakers or a stereo bar.

Review
Ok Kool
Many thanks for your help
  Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2018, 03:20 AM   #20
MarcinL MarcinL is offline
Active Member
 
Jun 2012
1
63
Default

Grinny - you could always get special legs for your Sony TV and raise it up. I did that to replace my Sony 900E stand and it fits my very tall Polk center speaker perfectly. Heck I even have few devices underneath. I think I paid $17 bucks on Amazon. Very sturdy too.

https://imgur.com/NVcXWs0

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
  Reply With Quote
Reply
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Ultra HD Blu-ray and 4K > Ultra HD Blu-ray and 4K Hardware and Technology


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 07:57 PM.