Best 4K Blu-ray Deals

Best Blu-ray Movie Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | Price drops  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Japan
The Maze Runner 4K (Blu-ray)
$9.99
9 hrs ago
A Star Is Born 4K (Blu-ray)
$29.99
 
Halloween 4K (Blu-ray)
$13.00
 
Venom 4K (Blu-ray)
$29.99
 
Maze Runner: The Scorch Trials 4K (Blu-ray)
$9.99
20 hrs ago
X-Men: First Class 4K (Blu-ray)
$9.99
10 hrs ago
Hotel Transylvania 3: Summer Vacation 4K (Blu-ray)
$24.99
10 hrs ago
Planet Earth II 4K (Blu-ray)
$27.99
23 hrs ago
Hook 4K (Blu-ray)
$17.99
 
Constantine: City of Demons: The Movie 4K (Blu-ray)
$19.99
20 hrs ago
Deadpool 2 4K (Blu-ray)
$24.99
 
The Meg 4K (Blu-ray)
$29.99
 
What's your next favorite movie?
Join our movie community to find out


Image from: Life of Pi (2012)

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Ultra HD Blu-ray and 4K > Ultra HD Blu-ray and 4K Hardware and Technology


Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-15-2017, 03:33 PM   #2021
PrestonXI PrestonXI is online now
Blu-ray Samurai
 
PrestonXI's Avatar
 
Feb 2011
Connecticut
1059
392
38
Default

Despite providing detailed descriptions of the issues, the invoice I got back from LG with my player said something like "tray eject fixed". I never saw or heard any evidence that they actually fixed the whirring sound. I think it actually sounded worse the last time I got it back.

Good riddance, LG!

The Sony player is a noticeable improvement, especially on the Miss Peregrine disc that has banding issues that looked AWFUL with the LG.
  Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2017, 05:07 PM   #2022
E6AtmosVuduDV E6AtmosVuduDV is offline
Special Member
 
Mar 2017
California
Default

For those here Who have installed the Aug 2017 DV FW on their UP970.

https://forum.blu-ray.com/showthread.php?t=276448

I have myself many of these DV Disc.

UP970's DV PQ for my these disc is Stunningly Magnificient.
I am already Eyeing the Complete DV Transformers series.
Be great if I can get the DV Box set at lower price.

Note-
When Inserting your DV Disc into UP970 with Aug DV FW...

PaintBrush Board Icon User Settings from the remotes InfoMenu Button will be Greyed Out.

You guys watch DV Transformers the Last Knight on the UP970. PQ is Mind Blowing!

Last edited by E6AtmosVuduDV; 12-15-2017 at 05:08 PM. Reason: Finishing
  Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2017, 12:52 AM   #2023
ROSS.T.G. ROSS.T.G. is online now
Blu-ray Ninja
 
ROSS.T.G.'s Avatar
 
Jan 2010
In my theatre room
33
1251
16
Default

Borat is up to his old tricks again.
  Reply With Quote
Thanks given by:
Sons Of Sparda (12-22-2017)
Old 12-17-2017, 12:55 AM   #2024
RockyIII RockyIII is offline
Blu-ray Champion
 
RockyIII's Avatar
 
Feb 2016
Miami, Fl
24
Default

Paint brush should be greyed out all the time. But that's me!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-J320A using Tapatalk
  Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2017, 05:22 PM   #2025
E6AtmosVuduDV E6AtmosVuduDV is offline
Special Member
 
Mar 2017
California
Default

From Crutchfield
Quote:
2 HDMI outputs for separating audio and video signals
HDMI 1 output is HDMI 2.0a (connected 4K TV and/or receiver must have an HDCP 2.2-compatible HDMI input, and must have HDMI 2.0a to support HDR)
HDMI 2 input does not output video signal (audio only)
______________
Anyone here with experience connecting UP970 HDMI1 to an AVR with HDR, DV PassThru. That also satisfys the above quote.

Need any particular UP970 Settings be made?

Whats your experience with UP970 sending HDR Video to the AVR?

Whats your experience with UP970 sendind DV Video to the AV? Given you have the DV Firmware from August.

I gather with proper UP970 settings one can send Atmos Audio to the AVR via HDMI 1 as well. Whats your experience.

Doing the various above I guess the UP970 HDMI 2 output port then serves no purpose.

Last edited by E6AtmosVuduDV; 12-17-2017 at 05:36 PM. Reason: Finishing
  Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2017, 05:29 PM   #2026
RockyIII RockyIII is offline
Blu-ray Champion
 
RockyIII's Avatar
 
Feb 2016
Miami, Fl
24
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by E6AtmosVuduDV View Post
Anyone here with experience connecting UP970 HDMI1 to an AVR with HDR, DV PassThru. That also satisfys the above quote.

Need any particular UP970 Settings be made?

Whats your experience with UP970 sending HDR Video to the AVR?

Whats your experience with UP970 sendind DV Video to the AV? Given you have the DV Firmware from August
I have player connected to HDMI1 on my Oled tv. Player's HDMI Audio is connected to my Denon receiver. Same sound, better picture than just running HDMI Main through Denon

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-J320A using Tapatalk
  Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2017, 07:20 PM   #2027
E6AtmosVuduDV E6AtmosVuduDV is offline
Special Member
 
Mar 2017
California
Default

Rockylll. I currently have my UP970 using both its HDMI #1 + #2 port. It like yours great Performance.

I will be getting the new 2018 AVR with HDR, DV PassThru.
I plan to use AVR Video PassThru only. With my LG OLED doing the Video Processing.

The reason I want to input UP970 Video into the AVR...
is because the AVR can then display its Info on Top of UP970's Movie Video. That way I can make AVR Dynamic changes as the movie runs. Like speaker settings for Atmos. Calibrate height speakers, etc. Also see AVR video, sound display info as they enter and leave the receiver.
  Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2017, 07:30 PM   #2028
RockyIII RockyIII is offline
Blu-ray Champion
 
RockyIII's Avatar
 
Feb 2016
Miami, Fl
24
Default

To be honest, even with Video Conversion off in the receiver, I still get a cleaner picture when connecting player directly to tv. That goes for both HDR10 and Dby Vision. So even if my receiver had DV firmware I'd keep connections the same

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-J320A using Tapatalk
  Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2017, 08:52 PM   #2029
E6AtmosVuduDV E6AtmosVuduDV is offline
Special Member
 
Mar 2017
California
Default

Rockylll. Aren't you running a Projector?
If yes. Is it a 4K Projector. And Are you outputing UP970 as 1080p or 4K to the projector?

Or
Are you running your UP970 HDMI into OLED/LED TV directly.

Gosh. So much High Tech in todays world.

I'm so happy you got the Aug DV FW. Saw your Gorgeous DV Photo Captures in other forums. Up970 DV to me seems Flawless. Amazing PQ.

Last edited by E6AtmosVuduDV; 12-17-2017 at 08:57 PM. Reason: Finishing
  Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2017, 09:02 PM   #2030
RockyIII RockyIII is offline
Blu-ray Champion
 
RockyIII's Avatar
 
Feb 2016
Miami, Fl
24
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by E6AtmosVuduDV View Post
Rockylll. Aren't you running a Projector?
If yes. Is it a 4K Projector. And Are you outputing UP970 as 1080p or 4K to the projector?

Or
Are you running your UP970 HDMI into OLED/LED TV directly.

Gosh. So much High Tech in todays world.

I'm so happy you got the Aug DV FW. Saw your Gorgeous DV Photo Captures in other forums. Up970 DV to me seems Flawless. Amazing PQ.
I'm running both a Sony HD 1080p projector and a LG 4K Oled C6 tv

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-J320A using Tapatalk
  Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2017, 08:12 AM   #2031
pottyaboutpotter1 pottyaboutpotter1 is offline
Special Member
 
pottyaboutpotter1's Avatar
 
Feb 2012
West Yorkshire, United Kingdom
648
11
Default

Got my refund for this player sorted today. Glad the whole debacle is over.
  Reply With Quote
Thanks given by:
Aston_Martin_DB5 (12-18-2017)
Old 12-18-2017, 10:53 AM   #2032
256k 256k is offline
Active Member
 
Apr 2017
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by pottyaboutpotter1 View Post
Got my refund for this player sorted today. Glad the whole debacle is over.
You had to return it to the shop? or did they make you send it via postal package?

I'm in spain and i'm in the same situation, want a refund already, tired of this
  Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2017, 12:14 PM   #2033
PrestonXI PrestonXI is online now
Blu-ray Samurai
 
PrestonXI's Avatar
 
Feb 2011
Connecticut
1059
392
38
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by pottyaboutpotter1 View Post
Got my refund for this player sorted today. Glad the whole debacle is over.
Did you get a check directly from LG?

Last week they said they would send me what. Unfortunately they said it would not be sent out until after the holiday.
  Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2017, 12:46 PM   #2034
pottyaboutpotter1 pottyaboutpotter1 is offline
Special Member
 
pottyaboutpotter1's Avatar
 
Feb 2012
West Yorkshire, United Kingdom
648
11
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by 256k View Post
You had to return it to the shop? or did they make you send it via postal package?

I'm in spain and i'm in the same situation, want a refund already, tired of this
From the shop.
  Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2017, 12:47 PM   #2035
pottyaboutpotter1 pottyaboutpotter1 is offline
Special Member
 
pottyaboutpotter1's Avatar
 
Feb 2012
West Yorkshire, United Kingdom
648
11
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrestonXI View Post
Did you get a check directly from LG?

Last week they said they would send me what. Unfortunately they said it would not be sent out until after the holiday.
Got a cheque from Very; the retailer I bought the player from.
  Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2017, 05:17 PM   #2036
JohnAV JohnAV is offline
Blu-ray Samurai
 
JohnAV's Avatar
 
Sep 2009
SF Bay area - Oppo Beta Tester
635
196
31
2
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by cochon View Post
I am not sure when that service bulletin you are referring to was issued but my point is that at any time LG may decide to reinforce, improve the current mechanics, like using thicker metal parts on the drive or change the drive completely.

If you have constant access to LG's service bulletins you will know whether this has happened or not but if you don't -like most people- looking for the latest manufacturing date is not such a bad idea as generally some new products have problems the manufacturer only discover after they in real world use and responsible companies will try to address those faults instead of just telling you they know there is a design problem.
Since we have a party on AVS that posted internal shots of a Sony X800 and also saw a HomeCinema.fr site publish a LG UP970 internal image you can now compare internal design architecture.

LG UP970 weighs 3.6 LB - yes it uses a Sony optical loader


Sony X800 weighs 8.6 LB
  Reply With Quote
Thanks given by:
chip75 (12-18-2017)
Old 12-18-2017, 06:51 PM   #2037
HDTV1080P HDTV1080P is offline
Blu-ray Ninja
 
Jan 2007
95
Default

When is this player going to get a Dolby Vision firmware update? Maybe 2018?
  Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2017, 08:09 PM   #2038
cochon cochon is offline
Senior Member
 
Oct 2008
-
6
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnAV View Post
Since we have a party on AVS that posted internal shots of a Sony X800 and also saw a HomeCinema.fr site publish a LG UP970 internal image you can now compare internal design architecture.

LG UP970 weighs 3.6 LB - yes it uses a Sony optical loader


Sony X800 weighs 8.6 LB
Actually I've disassembled and posted a photo of one of mine a few days ago on the X800 thread.

PC141166.jpg

Probably I haven't had enough coffee, I don't understand your post, are you saying they have upgraded now to a Sony drive (I don't know that many to recognize it) or are you saying the noisy one is made by Sony? The drives in the two photos look completely different to me.
  Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2017, 08:37 PM   #2039
chip75 chip75 is online now
Blu-ray Archduke
 
chip75's Avatar
 
Oct 2010
Wales
1869
2038
7
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by cochon View Post
Probably I haven't had enough coffee, I don't understand your post, are you saying they have upgraded now to a Sony drive (I don't know that many to recognize it) or are you saying the noisy one is made by Sony? The drives in the two photos look completely different to me.
It might be that the difference is that the LG uses a largely plastic construct for it's design and the Sony player uses what looks like a standard PC style component drive without the usual front panel (it uses a modified tray).

I'd imagine a plastic construct is prone to vibration over a heavier drive in a metal bay.
  Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2017, 09:10 PM   #2040
cochon cochon is offline
Senior Member
 
Oct 2008
-
6
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by chip75 View Post
It might be that the difference is that the LG uses a largely plastic construct for it's design and the Sony player uses what looks like a standard PC style component drive without the usual front panel (it uses a modified tray).

I'd imagine a plastic construct is prone to vibration over a heavier drive in a metal bay.
Sure, I think it looks much more flimsy than the X800 but I don't think that's what he meant, I am not sure.
  Reply With Quote
Reply
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Ultra HD Blu-ray and 4K > Ultra HD Blu-ray and 4K Hardware and Technology


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 02:24 PM.