Best 3D Blu-ray Deals

Best Blu-ray Movie Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | New deals  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Australia Japan
Harry Potter Hogwarts Collection (Blu-ray)
$97.23

Alita: Battle Angel 4K + 3D (Blu-ray)
$29.96

Aquaman 3D (Blu-ray)
$33.02

Pokémon: Detective Pikachu 3D (Blu-ray)
$29.99

Justice League 3D (Blu-ray)
$19.99

The Stewardesses 3D (Blu-ray)
$17.99

The Amityville Horror Trilogy (Blu-ray)
$29.99

Thor: The Dark World 3D (Blu-ray)
$20.14

Dolphin Tale 3D (Blu-ray)
$16.61

The Secret Life of Pets 3D (Blu-ray)
$14.12

The Three Stooges in 3D (Blu-ray)
$8.02

Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice 3D (Blu-ray)
$17.97

What's your next favorite movie?
Join our movie community to find out

Image from: Life of Pi (2012)

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > 3D > 3D Hardware and Technology > 3D TVs and 3D projectors

Old 11-28-2012, 01:07 AM   #1
Blu-ray Samurai

Sep 2011
Connecticut
Cool Best DLP link glasses? Compatible with BenQ etc

For a 3D projector? btw I'm a eyeglasses wearer as well.
Old 11-28-2012, 03:29 AM   #2
Blu-ray Guru

Mar 2009

Tl;dr is in bold

I've been going through 3D glasses for my Laservue DLP for the last few years.

Starting with the starter pack(which were the same exact 3D glasses that Samsung had with their HTTYDragon starter pack but with Mitsubishi logo) didn't even work right(red flash)
I did more research and found out about DLP-Link and all the different models.

I started with ViewSonic ZD101. Much better quality, but extremely bulky and not eyeglasses friendly(even though they had so many nose attachments) and there were pretty bad polarization rainbows and the red still bled into the image(this is more unique to my Laservue as far as I know, as I haven't heard this complaint from owners of projectors or other DLP TVs. Theyre fragile(arms don't bend and are locked in place and snapped in half in a week), heavy and just too big. They were overpriced back then and there overpriced now, especially considering the much better alternatives.
Optoma released an updated version that's lightweight, rechargeable and has bending arms and an overall better performance(less rainbows, brighter) however I've never used them because they aren't available in the US and are relatively expensive.

Then I went with Ultimate3DHeaven's Ultra Clears.
They worked much better but I still had polarization rainbows. But I wasn't seeing red anymore and the image was brighter.
The glasses were much lighter and the arms bent. However since it was more of a generic brand, they always felt cheaper than the Samsung glasses. They are not rechargeable and require a small battery. Apparently there's another version I these glasses that have been rebranded as 3DTV CORP.

I tried out the Future Cinema Eagle 510s as well.
Basically the UltraClear but lighter. Very cheap quality. Rechargeable.
SainSonic glasses appear to be the same model but I can't confirm.

Last year I got the TrueDepth 3D glasses.
They're rechargeable by USB instead of needing a watch battery.
They have even less lens issues(polarization rainbows, DLP link flash)
They're the best quality: hard glossy plastic like the Samsung glasses, but bigger and more protected lenses, lightweight, most eyeglass friendly

Two DLP brands I haven't experimented with are Xpand and RealD who have experience in cinemas.
I've used Xpand X102 in a cinema and they're lovely. However they're very bulky and aren't rechargeable. They're also kind of ugly and overpriced. They also aren't rechargeable.
I've never used RealD CrystalEyes and the DLP version is no longer available. I was always curious because RealD is so well renowned and because of the steep price. Still... It was always difficult convincing myself to pay the price of a PS3 for one pair of glasses.

I've noticed a newer brand known as 3Active
They appear to be the same type as TrueDepth except they come with a much nicer carrying case/pouch(which includes a space for the included USB cord and cleaning cloth)
I plan on buying a few of these pouches because TrueDepth's pouches just don't seem safe enough. And I'm gonna pick up a pair of 3Actives because they seem to be the same as TrueDepth but I'd like to confirm. It's highly likely that they're the same though as they look exactly alike.

A company named Okeba has also recently begin selling their own brand of DLP link glasses. Unlike 3active, these are only $20 on Amazon(3active are $50) so I'm probably going to pick up a pair very soon.

Putting everything in perspective...
I'd go with 3Active.
They rated very highly, so it's either that they are just like my TrueDepths or they are even better. My True Depth has a very faint polarization rainbow issue, but I believ it's only unique to my Tv, as I've never heard any complaints from regular DLP and projector users.

Everything else is either too expensive or too cheaply made. I will update again sometime in the next few weeks on the OKEBAs, but compared to everything else... The 3Active is flawless and it even comes with a nice case, cable and cleaning cloth.

Last edited by joenostalgia23; 11-28-2012 at 03:33 AM.
Old 03-13-2013, 04:36 AM   #3
Blu-ray Samurai

Apr 2011
Brisbane, Australia

Can I watch 3D Blu-ray's with these;

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/360518896...ht_5871wt_1397

Or do I need 144hz?
Old 01-04-2018, 10:36 AM   #4
Blu-ray Baron

Feb 2016
Miami, Fl
Default DLP Link 3D glasses

I am getting a new UST laser projector which utilizes DLP Link 3D. All DLP Link 3D glasses I tried in the past seem to do two things:
1) feel like wearing sun glasses and badly dim vision
2) give everything a slight yellow tint, almost like raising colour temperature by a few notches

Any recommendation on DLP Link glasses that don't dim image as much, and also do not raise perceived colour temperature?
Thanks!
Old 01-09-2018, 03:22 AM   #5

Oct 2012

try these.....
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Old 01-09-2018, 11:27 AM   #6
Blu-ray Baron

Feb 2016
Miami, Fl

Quote:
Originally Posted by fatboy1111 View Post
The problem I have with that design is that they are too open on the sides, letting too much reflecting light in, and that can be distracting

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-J320A using Tapatalk
Old 01-09-2018, 02:25 PM   #7

Mar 2017

do you know what Hz the projector operates at. I might have missed where you posted it. don't buy gasses that say they handle any Hz. I've tried several universal glasses from different company's and they all display the same problem. they lose sync in complicated seen's. buy Hz specific glasses only. if your projector is 144 Hz , benq glasses are the only way to go. there's other glasses out there that appear to be identical for less money but the battery life is horrible at best. for 120 Hz I think optoma still makes glasses and they were by far the best glasses I used for all of my mitsubishi's
PS the glasses posted above , if my memory serves me are 144 Hz spesific.
Old 01-09-2018, 09:49 PM   #8
Blu-ray Baron

Feb 2016
Miami, Fl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Battail View Post
do you know what Hz the projector operates at. I might have missed where you posted it. don't buy gasses that say they handle any Hz. I've tried several universal glasses from different company's and they all display the same problem. they lose sync in complicated seen's. buy Hz specific glasses only. if your projector is 144 Hz , benq glasses are the only way to go. there's other glasses out there that appear to be identical for less money but the battery life is horrible at best. for 120 Hz I think optoma still makes glasses and they were by far the best glasses I used for all of my mitsubishi's
PS the glasses posted above , if my memory serves me are 144 Hz spesific.
This is the UST Laser projector I'm getting:

https://www.gizmochina.com/2017/06/2...ke-experience/

Old 01-09-2018, 10:41 PM   #9

Jun 2016
South Dakota

Quote:
Originally Posted by RockyIII View Post
This is the UST Laser projector I'm getting:

https://www.gizmochina.com/2017/06/2...ke-experience/

I've tried several. I stand by incredisonic. $25 a pair on Amazon. For awhile i really liked 3D heaven brand but the lenses on some of them started coming out so I no longer recommend those. The firestorm were Ok but as u said when u don't have sides they let to much light in.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
Old 01-09-2018, 10:47 PM   #10
Blu-ray Baron

Feb 2016
Miami, Fl

Quote:
Originally Posted by schiltzamania View Post
I've tried several. I stand by incredisonic. $25 a pair on Amazon. For awhile i really liked 3D heaven brand but the lenses on some of them started coming out so I no longer recommend those. The firestorm were Ok but as u said when u don't have sides they let to much light in.

Got these:

https://www.amazon.com/True-Depth-Re...ing=UTF8&psc=1

Old 01-09-2018, 10:52 PM   #11

Jun 2016
South Dakota

Quote:
Got these:

https://www.amazon.com/True-Depth-Re...ing=UTF8&psc=1

I would think those should be fine. The firestorm i tried were thin. Now its a matter of finding a good way to charge without having glasses lay around which is my biggest complaint about active glasses. I built a cheap charging stand since i have 10 pair and have movie nights at my home.

Old 01-09-2018, 11:21 PM   #12

Jul 2015

Quote:
Originally Posted by schiltzamania View Post
I would think those should be fine. The firestorm i tried were thin. Now its a matter of finding a good way to charge without having glasses lay around which is my biggest complaint about active glasses. I built a cheap charging stand since i have 10 pair and have movie nights at my home.
I have the same problem with charging the 3D active glasses.

Did you youtube the building of your charger? I'd like to have one like it but I am NOT handy and I have no tools for creating something like that.

Yep, the tool problem could be solved with a trip to Home Depot/Lowes/Menards/etc.

Thanks!

Last edited by dhvsfan; 01-09-2018 at 11:22 PM. Reason: Removed picture
Old 01-09-2018, 11:40 PM   #13
Blu-ray Baron

Feb 2016
Miami, Fl

What bothers most is glasses that let my peripheral vision go all over the place. I chose those glasses because they seal both sides of my peripheral vision

Old 01-09-2018, 11:46 PM   #14

Jun 2016
South Dakota

Quote:
What bothers most is glasses that let my peripheral vision go all over the place. I chose those glasses because they seal both sides of my peripheral vision

I completely agree

Old 01-09-2018, 11:50 PM   #15

Jun 2016
South Dakota

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhvsfan View Post
I have the same problem with charging the 3D active glasses.

Did you youtube the building of your charger? I'd like to have one like it but I am NOT handy and I have no tools for creating something like that.

Yep, the tool problem could be solved with a trip to Home Depot/Lowes/Menards/etc.

Thanks!
No tools. Bought a glasses rack on Amazon for $10, a usb power strip, and some micro usb cables at different lengths. Used foam tape to affix the power strip and zip ties for the cable management as needed. Only thing i had to modify was the nose piece on the rack was a little thin for some of the glasses

Thanks given by:
dhvsfan (01-10-2018)
Old 01-10-2018, 10:27 AM   #16
Blu-ray Baron

Feb 2016
Miami, Fl

Wish 3D glasses came with something like this on the sides, to block light and outside surrounding objects
Attached Images
File Type: jpg eyewear.jpg (83.9 KB, 15 views)
Old 11-17-2018, 12:04 PM   #17
Blu-ray Baron

Feb 2016
Miami, Fl

Slightly off topic, but do you guys have any recommendations for my next pair of DLP Link active 3D glasses? I'm looking for something particularly well suited for DLP Link 3D projector that won't dim picture. Thanks!
Old 11-17-2018, 12:22 PM   #18
Blu-ray Baron

Feb 2016
Miami, Fl
Default New DLP Link 3D glasses

Any advice on purchasing my next DLP Link glasses? I am looking for something particularly suited for DLP Link projector. Thanks!
Old 12-05-2018, 11:03 AM   #19
Blu-ray Baron

Feb 2016
Miami, Fl

Slightly off topic, but under the advice of a friend I purchased two pairs of BenQ DLP Link 3D glasses to replace my True-Depth 3D glasses and it was money well spent. For quite sometime I felt like 3D on my projector was subpar due to my projector or DLP Link technology in general being inferior to passive 3D on my Oled TV. But BenQ glasses brought back my excitement to watch 3D on a big screen.
Stay away from True-Depth glasses, they are garbage, or at least that is my experience.
Old 12-06-2018, 04:24 AM   #20
Blu-ray Guru

Jun 2017

Quote:
Slightly off topic, but under the advice of a friend I purchased two pairs of BenQ DLP Link 3D glasses to replace my True-Depth 3D glasses and it was money well spent. For quite sometime I felt like 3D on my projector was subpar due to my projector or DLP Link technology in general being inferior to passive 3D on my Oled TV. But BenQ glasses brought back my excitement to watch 3D on a big screen.
Stay away from True-Depth glasses, they are garbage, or at least that is my experience.
I bought four pair of Apeman glasses to go with my BenQ projector as I found their own a bit pricey but have often wondered if my 3D viewing would be enhanced if I purchased the glasses to match.
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > 3D > 3D Hardware and Technology > 3D TVs and 3D projectors