Best 3D Blu-ray Deals

Best Blu-ray Movie Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | New deals  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Australia Japan
Harry Potter Hogwarts Collection (Blu-ray)
$97.23

Alita: Battle Angel 4K + 3D (Blu-ray)
$29.96

War for the Planet of the Apes 3D (Blu-ray)
$9.99

Aquaman 3D (Blu-ray)
$32.30

Assassin's Creed 3D (Blu-ray)
$9.99
19 min ago
Walking with Dinosaurs: The Movie 3D (Blu-ray)
$9.99

Pokémon: Detective Pikachu 3D (Blu-ray)
$29.99

Dawn of the Planet of the Apes 3D (Blu-ray)
$9.99

The Great Gatsby 3D (Blu-ray)
$11.23

The Meg 3D (Blu-ray)
$24.99

The Amityville Horror Trilogy (Blu-ray)
$29.99

Predator 3D (Blu-ray)
$9.99

What's your next favorite movie?
Join our movie community to find out

Image from: Life of Pi (2012)

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > 3D > 3D Hardware and Technology > 3D TVs and 3D projectors

Old 01-15-2018, 10:39 AM   #21
Special Member

Oct 2013
Southern California, USA

If I'm watching by myself, I sit 5 feet from my 65 inch OLED. Which is about 2x screen height. If it's a 2:35:1 AR 3-D film, sometimes I sit closer, about 3-4 feet.
Thanks given by:
Deciazulado (10-07-2018)
Old 01-15-2018, 02:45 PM   #22

Sep 2013

There are guidelines but in reality its up to the viewer and everyone is different. Grab a chair and experiment ,move it back and forth to achieve what is comfortable for you and your vision. I have a10ft screen and sometimes sit 4/5 feet away. 3d seems to blur the pixels. Depends on the material and my mood Sometimes I move my chairs 6/8 feet away.
Old 01-15-2018, 04:45 PM   #23
Blu-ray Samurai

Oct 2015
Bronx, NY

Was thinking. Could get something to safely roll the set further out when watching 3D and placing it back in it's normal position after that. Might even have a table I can just place in front of my stand.

Question is do I want to risk the potential for an accident regardless.
Old 01-15-2018, 07:18 PM   #24
Special Member

Jan 2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZIROK View Post
There are guidelines but in reality its up to the viewer and everyone is different. Grab a chair and experiment ,move it back and forth to achieve what is comfortable for you and your vision. I have a10ft screen and sometimes sit 4/5 feet away. 3d seems to blur the pixels. Depends on the material and my mood Sometimes I move my chairs 6/8 feet away.
Is that 10ft wide? If so, at 16x9 it would make the height ~5.5ft, and therefore you are sitting at ~1x height.

Please confirm.

As mentioned in my op, I find my screen fills my field of vision very well at 1.1x screen height (16x9) but that it also makes the pixels visible.
Old 01-15-2018, 07:33 PM   #25
Special Member

Jan 2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe D. View Post
This is a detailed article.

http://www.practical-home-theater-gu...-distance.html

I'm sitting a bit further back from the optimal viewing distance for my 50 inch set (approximately 80 inches instead of 70 to 75) but a bigger set would block even more than what my set already does (equipment rack and Blu-ray shelves).

Could bend forward but that's not so comfortable when dealing with a sciatic nerve. LOL
Thanks Joe but this article recommends sitting at 1.4xScreen WIDTH! At this distance there is NO WAY that the image will come anywhere close to filling the glasses!

It would also imply sitting in the very back row of an IMAX 3D presentation or even farther away!

Certainly there must be a happy medium...

Last edited by Freakyguy666; 01-15-2018 at 07:54 PM.
Old 01-16-2018, 09:04 PM   #26
Blu-ray Samurai

Oct 2015
Bronx, NY

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freakyguy666 View Post
Thanks Joe but this article recommends sitting at 1.4xScreen WIDTH! At this distance there is NO WAY that the image will come anywhere close to filling the glasses!

It would also imply sitting in the very back row of an IMAX 3D presentation or even farther away!

Hi freakyguy,

I was afraid that was what they meant.. It is really tough for us with smaller screens to get the optimum viewing distance in apartments. Don't want to start moving everything into our den which would put me maybe 55 inches away from the screen.

True test for me now to abide by my own words - "be happy with what you have" .
Old 01-17-2018, 01:05 PM   #27

Aug 2009
England

Quote:

The reason for that is that they’re factoring in resolution. If image sharpness is less of an issue for you, sit closer. The original IMAX spec (for IMAX not IMAX Digital) is that the last row of seating can be now further than 1 screen width.

But that article was pretty good at discussing what happens to the strain on your eyes the closer you sit when watching 3D.
Old 01-17-2018, 02:33 PM   #28

Sep 2013

Quote:
Is that 10ft wide? If so, at 16x9 it would make the height ~5.5ft, and therefore you are sitting at ~1x height.

Please confirm.

As mentioned in my op, I find my screen fills my field of vision very well at 1.1x screen height (16x9) but that it also makes the pixels visible.
16x9 at 10ft diagonal
Old 07-11-2018, 10:38 PM   #29
Blu-ray Prince

Jul 2009
Camp Crystal lake
Default Best Distance for Watching 3D?

`I have LG 65C6 4k/3D tv. How many feet should I sit from it for best 3D viewing experience?

Last edited by CZAR; 08-08-2018 at 11:56 PM.
Old 08-01-2018, 05:03 PM   #30
Expert Member

Mar 2015
Seattle, WA

I sit 3 feet away from my 43 inch diagonal screen. Since I already wear corrective glasses, I had a special pair made which have an additional plus 1 spherical diopter. This makes my eye's accommodation adjust for infinity and gives me the illusion that I'm looking at a giant screen 30 or more feet away. When combined with the required parallax eye adjustment needed for the 3d, I'm having the full theater experience -- at least for me! Plus, it's real easy on the eyes.
Thanks given by:
Deciazulado (10-07-2018), Paul H (08-02-2018)
Old 08-01-2018, 05:42 PM   #31
Blu-ray Samurai

Oct 2015
Bronx, NY

For us, it is furniture placement dependent. So for our 50 inch set, we sit approximately six and a half feet or 78 inches.

Have a 3D video Wizard hooked up to our 38 inch set in the den where we have flexibility moving in our chairs so sit a little less than four feet away.
Old 08-02-2018, 01:44 AM   #32

Sep 2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank@Chicago View Post
If you sit in front of the TV when it's off, you can work off the refection.

You should see yourself in the exact center of TV (by height and width).

If your couch is too low you may need to sit up a bit or sit on a large cushion.

For a 55 inch TV, I think you want to sit about 6-7 feet away depending on eyesight.

Some 3D discs have a bit of crosstalk here and there, I see a bit at the bottom too.

But if everything else is setup right, crosstalk should be fairly unusual.
That's true and nothing irritates me worse than seeing a TV ( and you see it often even here in the Home Theater section) mounted or 5/6 feet off the ground and you have to look up at the picture. I keep mine low ,even my projector screen. Also ,who really wants to sit in that Home Theater second row anyway ? Most are too far back and too high.
Old 08-08-2018, 07:33 PM   #33
Blu-ray Prince

Jul 2009
Camp Crystal lake
Default Best Distance for Watching 3D Movies?

What is the ideal distance to get the best experience while watching a 3D movie? Thanks
Old 08-08-2018, 07:48 PM   #34

Apr 2018

This is going to vary so much based on screen size and technology. You're much better off just experimenting yourself in this case, although I would add that typically 3D effects are diminished if you don't sit facing the screen dead centre.
Thanks given by:
CZAR (08-08-2018)
Old 08-08-2018, 07:57 PM   #35
Blu-ray Prince

Jul 2009
Camp Crystal lake

Quote:
Originally Posted by thestrangestick View Post
This is going to vary so much based on screen size and technology. You're much better off just experimenting yourself in this case, although I would add that typically 3D effects are diminished if you don't sit facing the screen dead centre.
I have the 65 inch LG 65C6 4k TV with the original samsung 4k player. Based on that what would you think would be a good distance? Its also a curved tv. Thanks
Old 08-08-2018, 10:47 PM   #36
Special Member

Oct 2013
Southern California, USA

I typically sit back about twice the distance of the height of my screen for both 3-D and 2-D presentations.
Old 08-08-2018, 11:15 PM   #37
Blu-ray Prince

Apr 2011
England

Depends. For VR 3D viewing its only inches from my eyes! . The pop outs look incredible.
Old 01-08-2019, 06:38 PM   #38

Apr 2009
Default LG 3D TVs and 3D viewing angles?

Hello Everyone! I'm thinking of getting some used LG 3d tv that's a few years old/not too expensive, and my question is - how are the viewing angles for 3D? I have an LG 3D monitor, I think 22 or 23 inches, and the issue there is that I have to sit in a perfect position, otherwise some parts of the screen loose the 3D effect, and the only real solution is not to use the entire screen for 3D and watch in windowed mode. Was this just a factory defect/bad luck? Do large 40-50 inch LG 3D TVs have acceptable viewing angles in 3d where several people can easily watch/move around and the image is still fully 3d with no "2d burry spots"?
Old 01-09-2019, 03:14 AM   #39
Blu-ray Samurai

Oct 2015
Bronx, NY

Quote:
Originally Posted by yuriythebest View Post
Hello Everyone! I'm thinking of getting some used LG 3d tv that's a few years old/not too expensive, and my question is - how are the viewing angles for 3D? I have an LG 3D monitor, I think 22 or 23 inches, and the issue there is that I have to sit in a perfect position, otherwise some parts of the screen loose the 3D effect, and the only real solution is not to use the entire screen for 3D and watch in windowed mode. Was this just a factory defect/bad luck? Do large 40-50 inch LG 3D TVs have acceptable viewing angles in 3d where several people can easily watch/move around and the image is still fully 3d with no "2d burry spots"?
Hi yuri,

Hope this might help.

https://www.practical-home-theater-g...-distance.html
Old 01-09-2019, 10:31 AM   #40

Apr 2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe D. View Post
thanks Joe D, yes I understand the theory regarding viewing angles themselves, I have 2 3d displays ( iz3d and LG), my question was specifically regarding LG 3D tvs and if they are "better" than the LG display I have in therms of the 3d viewing angle - I know the marketing says it's great, but I my LG 3D monitor borderline unusable for 3d due to the 2d spots that appear if you are just a little bit off the ideal angle ( and I have experimented with sitting closer/further away - doesn't help. with the iz3d display there is no such issue).

short version of my question: with the LG 3d tvs (40-55 inch), do I have to sit in an exact/perfect position 3d effect to work or has the technology improved?
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > 3D > 3D Hardware and Technology > 3D TVs and 3D projectors