Best 3D Blu-ray Deals

Best Blu-ray Movie Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | New deals  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Australia Japan
Harry Potter Hogwarts Collection (Blu-ray)
$97.23

Alita: Battle Angel 4K + 3D (Blu-ray)
$29.96

Aquaman 3D (Blu-ray)
$33.02

Pokémon: Detective Pikachu 3D (Blu-ray)
$29.99

The Stewardesses 3D (Blu-ray)
$17.99

The Amityville Horror Trilogy (Blu-ray)
$29.99

Justice League 3D (Blu-ray)
$19.99
21 hrs ago
Men in Black 3 3D (Blu-ray)
$9.45

Dolphin Tale 3D (Blu-ray)
$16.61

The Good Dinosaur 3D (Blu-ray)
$19.04

The Secret Life of Pets 3D (Blu-ray)
$14.12

The Three Stooges in 3D (Blu-ray)
$8.02

What's your next favorite movie?
Join our movie community to find out

Image from: Life of Pi (2012)

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > 3D > 3D Hardware and Technology > 3D TVs and 3D projectors

Old 06-16-2017, 10:29 AM   #101
Blu-ray Ninja

Oct 2005
England

From what I've read on a few AV sites, OLED "burn in" isn't an issue; you'd have to purposely keep an image on screen for a long long time to see any retention or burn in, but even if you do it will fade. It's not permanent.

Best advice appears to be; just use your tv normally. Some of the tests carried out by AV sites were pretty full on - 24 hours showing the same image left some retention, but they were able to clear it up easily.

Other OLED users also commented that, even when gaming, they've never seen anything left on their screen.
Old 06-16-2017, 02:18 PM   #102

Oct 2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by partridge View Post
From what I've read on a few AV sites, OLED "burn in" isn't an issue; you'd have to purposely keep an image on screen for a long long time to see any retention or burn in, but even if you do it will fade. It's not permanent.

Best advice appears to be; just use your tv normally. Some of the tests carried out by AV sites were pretty full on - 24 hours showing the same image left some retention, but they were able to clear it up easily.

Other OLED users also commented that, even when gaming, they've never seen anything left on their screen.
Some report burn in. Every 2016 I have seen at BB has burn in from playing the demo loop. Even in the Magnolia centers where I am told they turn them off properly to allow the short 5~7 minute auto clean screen program to run daily (as opposed to shutting the power off via a master switch).

And some users also report burn in. Please read this thread... http://www.avsforum.com/forum/40-ole...rn-photos.html And keep in mind these tv's are not even 2 years old yet. How many defending current happy campers will be singing a different tune after 4~7 years of gaming, cable watching and computer monitor usage in their routine? Only time will tell.

For those not interested in 3D it does not matter much. Just $$$$, buy a new 2D one. But for folks with large 3D collections, folks who love the immersion/realism that 3D offers...it matters a lot. They may not be able to replace them.

Suppose you bought a car. And you were told by a god that was the only one you could/would ever have in your long life.. You might be more inclined to...keep it in your garage...change the oil often...take a bike to the local market...drive slow and very carefully. Limit it's use to important things that really mattered to you.

The 3D TV manufacturing gods have spoken.

So why gamble with your precious/soon rare 3D Oled. I keep in mind several things.

That LG will not warranty burn in (tells me they know of/aware of and expect $$$$ screen burn issues). Few/no extended warranties cover burn in. Square Trade for example does not, when I pointedly asked them for confirmation (and at some point there will be no 3D replacement panels any way).

I also keep in mind that possibly/probably (?) no more 3D tv's will be made for a long time. There may be no simple way to replace a 3D tv. And possibly...used ones in good working order might become both rare and expensive. Perhaps to pricy for a poor old boy like me.

And finally, there just simply is no need to run my Oled for everything. I/family don't need it for cable tv and such. Folks can use one of the other perfectly good TV's around here for those tasks (42" Vizio in the family room or a Insignia 32" in the living room, for example).

I want my...soon to become rare, possibly/probably irreplaceable 3D TV to perform awesome for MOVIES for many, many years to come. That is what I bought it for, movies...3D movies mostly. End of 3D TV's was the only reason I bought a new tv now...otherwise would have just waited till I just needed one.

55" 4k led tv's can be had for less than 500 bucks. Cheap. They work great for gaming, cable and use as computer monitors. No need to risk an expensive, soon rare, 3D Oled.

I simply do not want...or need to put it at risk.

Perfecting glasses free 3D tv could bring it back in a big way...but who knows when...or if that will happen in my lifetime. (I think it will)

Last edited by Kenbar; 06-16-2017 at 04:52 PM.
Thanks given by:
2112rushfan (06-16-2017)
Old 06-16-2017, 05:41 PM   #103

Jan 2017
New England USA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenbar View Post
Some report burn in. Every 2016 I have seen at BB has burn in from playing the demo loop. Even in the Magnolia centers where I am told they turn them off properly to allow the short 5~7 minute auto clean screen program to run daily (as opposed to shutting the power off via a master switch).

And some users also report burn in. Please read this thread... http://www.avsforum.com/forum/40-ole...rn-photos.html And keep in mind these tv's are not even 2 years old yet. How many defending current happy campers will be singing a different tune after 4~7 years of gaming, cable watching and computer monitor usage in their routine? Only time will tell.

For those not interested in 3D it does not matter much. Just $$$$, buy a new 2D one. But for folks with large 3D collections, folks who love the immersion/realism that 3D offers...it matters a lot. They may not be able to replace them.

Suppose you bought a car. And you were told by a god that was the only one you could/would ever have in your long life.. You might be more inclined to...keep it in your garage...change the oil often...take a bike to the local market...drive slow and very carefully. Limit it's use to important things that really mattered to you.

So why gamble with your precious/soon rare 3D Oled. I keep in mind several things.

That LG will not warranty burn in (tells me they know of/aware of and expect $$$$ screen burn issues). Few/no extended warranties cover burn in. Square Trade for example does not, when I pointedly asked them for confirmation (and at some point there will be no 3D replacement panels any way).

I also keep in mind that possibly/probably (?) no more 3D tv's will be made for a long time. There may be no simple way to replace a 3D tv. And possibly...used ones in good working order might become both rare and expensive. Perhaps to pricy for a poor old boy like me.

And finally, there just simply is no need to run my Oled for everything. I/family don't need it for cable tv and such. Folks can use one of the other perfectly good TV's around here for those tasks (42" Vizio in the family room or a Insignia 32" in the living room, for example).

I want my...soon to become rare, possibly/probably irreplaceable 3D TV to perform awesome for MOVIES for many, many years to come. That is what I bought it for, movies...3D movies mostly. End of 3D TV's was the only reason I bought a new tv now...otherwise would have just waited till I just needed one.

55" 4k led tv's can be had for less than 500 bucks. Cheap. They work great for gaming, cable and use as computer monitors. No need to risk an expensive, soon rare, 3D Oled.

Perfecting glasses free 3D tv could bring it back in a big way...but who knows when...or if that will happen in my lifetime. (I think it will)
We really only watch tv on the weekends and, like you, we use our OLED for movies mostly.

We kept our 2006 Sony 34" widescreen CRT HD for gaming. It is excellent for that - no issues with lag and it displays SD content sharper than either the OLED or our plasma. We don't have HD cable or stream content.

(And at 200 lbs that baby ain't going nowhere, it took four of us to carry it in the house )

Last edited by 2112rushfan; 06-16-2017 at 05:54 PM.
Thanks given by:
Kenbar (06-16-2017)
Old 08-07-2017, 08:01 PM   #104
Blu-ray Ninja

Oct 2005
England

The LG 55Oledc6v will soon be mine, can't wait.
Old 08-08-2017, 12:46 PM   #105
Blu-ray Ninja

Oct 2005
England

Quote:

sigh. If we follow your examples to their logical conclusion, what you're saying is there is no point buying anything as eventually it will be obsolete or may break down and be irreplaceable.

So don't buy a petrol car because all cars will one day be electric. Don't but a tv for a particular feature because that feature might one day be removed.

We can only ever buy what is available at that time to do the job we want it to do. I'm now set to pick up a new tv that (for me) ticks ALL the boxes that are important to me. That includes 3D.

Sounds like all you need is a cheap and cheerful flat panel that does nothing else but show a picture. If that's the only box you want ticked, then go for it, I'm not going to tell you not to. Perhaps that's an approach you should try next time?
Old 08-08-2017, 03:22 PM   #106
Blu-ray Samurai

Jul 2014
T.A.R.D.I.S.

Quote:

It is extremely unlikely you will ever get burn in on your OLED from at home use. The tvs at Best Buy run a loop with stagnant images, what do you expect? Not a good comparison.
Old 10-04-2017, 02:00 AM   #107

Oct 2014

Rtings started a long term burn-in test which includes OLEDs...and it's not looking good.

Static images are the Oled killer. CNN...any channel or game for example, that has none moving pieces of imagery. Burn in is happening faster than I would have thought.

http://www.avsforum.com/forum/40-ole...des-oleds.html
Old 10-04-2017, 02:30 PM   #108

Jul 2017
Default OLED picture

I've had 2016 LG 77" & 65" OLEDs for 9 months and any faint image retention, which I had watching the same channel 24/7 during hurricane Irma, wasn't there the next day. I love 3d and everyone marvels at the picture quality on both sets.
Thanks given by:
Paul H (10-04-2017), Rek84 (10-04-2017)
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > 3D > 3D Hardware and Technology > 3D TVs and 3D projectors