Best 3D Blu-ray Deals

Best Blu-ray Movie Deals, See All the Deals »

Top deals | New deals  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Australia Japan
Harry Potter Hogwarts Collection (Blu-ray)
$97.23

Alita: Battle Angel 4K + 3D (Blu-ray)
$29.96

Aquaman 3D (Blu-ray)
$32.69

Pokémon: Detective Pikachu 3D (Blu-ray)
$29.99

Men in Black 3 3D (Blu-ray)
$9.22
4 hrs ago
The Stewardesses 3D (Blu-ray)
$17.99

Blade Runner 2049 3D (Blu-ray)
$19.99

The Amityville Horror Trilogy (Blu-ray)
$29.99

Dolphin Tale 3D (Blu-ray)
$16.61

Thor: The Dark World 3D (Blu-ray)
$20.14

Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice 3D (Blu-ray)
$17.97

The Good Dinosaur 3D (Blu-ray)
$19.04

What's your next favorite movie?
Join our movie community to find out

Image from: Life of Pi (2012)

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > 3D > 3D Hardware and Technology > 3D TVs and 3D projectors

Old 03-13-2017, 10:47 AM   #1
Power Member

Nov 2009
San Diego, CA
Default LG or Sony for best 3D Effect?

Right now I have a Panasonic VIERA TC-L32DT30 which looks great. It uses Active glasses, which is fine with me.

I figured most/all 3DTV's look like this, but after being pretty disappointed with the 3D on the PSVR, I found out that most TV's aren't up to par with the Panasonic (at least with the adjusted depth settings).

I've been looking at the LG 65" OLED w/ 3D or the SONY (probably the 75" 940D). One of the big selling points is the 3D factor. I figure in 2017 most models will eliminate this feature, so I'd like to get one of the 2016 models... but if the 3D is sub-par, I'd be open to looking elsewhere.

Are there brands to avoid for 3D? ones to look for?
Old 03-13-2017, 12:49 PM   #2
Special Member

Mar 2011
-
-
-
-
-
-

If you want 3d, nothing beats the 2016 LG OLED's C,E or G.
Old 03-13-2017, 12:54 PM   #3
Power Member

Nov 2009
San Diego, CA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seth F. View Post
If you want 3d, nothing beats the 2016 LG OLED's C,E or G.
Thanks!
I'll take a look at those. I was trying to decide between the LG and Sony's.

The LG OLED looked awesome, but I believe they use Passive 3D and I wasn't able to demo the 3D (only the 2D). With a SONY, I could also likely go bigger for the same price (75" vs 65"). Is the LG that much better to overlook these?

I'll look more into the 3 you mentioned.. can you give any quick differences on the C, E and G? (something to tell if it's worth spending a bit more, or saving more, for one of the different models)
Old 03-13-2017, 02:31 PM   #4
Blu-ray Guru

Jul 2013

http://www.rtings.com/tv

I got a 65" curved C6 for $2997. That was the most I justify spending on a TV.

The flat version of that TV (with improved sound) is 1K more...E series?

I'd recommend Passive 3D for ease of use and LG for best 3D performance.

Bigger isn't always better, there's more worthy choices at 65" than 75".

EDIT: Amazon is showing the flat E series for only $500 more ATM, not bad.

Last edited by Frank@Chicago; 03-13-2017 at 02:39 PM.
Old 03-13-2017, 03:09 PM   #5

May 2016

Samsung is very good too.
Old 03-13-2017, 03:55 PM   #6
Blu-ray Guru

Feb 2011
Southern NH

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank@Chicago View Post
in this case size does matter tho, watching 3D on a 65" then watching on a 82" for example (my case) was a huge difference. I would happily buy Sony's 100" Z9D if it didnt cost 50k.
Old 03-13-2017, 03:58 PM   #7

Sep 2013

Well I just sprung for a LG 65inch after scouring the internet for reviews. I found out on the Sony forums that the 65 inchers have a totally unwatchable 3D. They fixed the issue on the smaller 55 inch models but refuse to acknowledge or fix it on the larger sets. And there a lot of very angry posters on the Sony forums that bought these sets. Glad I found that since the 2D specs are pretty good and I almost bought one.
Old 03-13-2017, 04:03 PM   #8
Power Member

Nov 2009
San Diego, CA

Quote:
http://www.rtings.com/tv

I got a 65" curved C6 for $2997. That was the most I justify spending on a TV.

The flat version of that TV (with improved sound) is 1K more...E series?

I'd recommend Passive 3D for ease of use and LG for best 3D performance.

EDIT: Amazon is showing the flat E series for only $500 more ATM, not bad.
Thanks!
Flat vs. Curved: This will be watched straight-on, usually by just 1-2 people.. Sound isn't important (that would be through a soundbar or other).
Is there any downside to either flat or curved? I know it was the 'big thing' for a while and then kind of disappeared. Is that because it had issues? Does 2D/3D get affected by it at all - distortion?
Old 03-13-2017, 04:57 PM   #9
Blu-ray Guru

Jan 2013
Phoenix, AZ

Quote:
Originally Posted by SPIDERone View Post
Thanks!
Flat vs. Curved: This will be watched straight-on, usually by just 1-2 people.. Sound isn't important (that would be through a soundbar or other).
Is there any downside to either flat or curved? I know it was the 'big thing' for a while and then kind of disappeared. Is that because it had issues? Does 2D/3D get affected by it at all - distortion?
Nope, the curve doesn't cause any issues at all -- definitely not for 1 or 2 people watching from dead-center. The curve on the LG OLEDs is extremely subtle and doesn't necessarily help or hurt the TV in any way. I think that's why the curved TV trend is fading away: aside from making the TV look unique or futuristic, the curve doesn't serve much of a purpose.

That being said, I'm extremely pleased with my curved OLED55C6P. Like you, it's only viewed by 1 or 2 people straight-on, and the curve is only noticeable when you approach the TV from the side. I would highly recommend passive 3D over active. Having used both, the active glasses are a pain to charge and sync with the TV. But that's just me.

Last edited by ryanmcv; 03-13-2017 at 05:02 PM.
Old 03-13-2017, 06:18 PM   #10
Special Member

Mar 2011

Quote:
Thanks!
I'll take a look at those. I was trying to decide between the LG and Sony's.

The LG OLED looked awesome, but I believe they use Passive 3D and I wasn't able to demo the 3D (only the 2D). With a SONY, I could also likely go bigger for the same price (75" vs 65"). Is the LG that much better to overlook these?

I'll look more into the 3 you mentioned.. can you give any quick differences on the C, E and G? (something to tell if it's worth spending a bit more, or saving more, for one of the different models)
NO question in my mind that the 3d looks better on the 2016 LG OLEDs. I have a OLED65E6 myself. But remember that your time is limited. The 2017 models from LG do not have 3d.
Someone mentioned Samsung, but they dropped 3d more than a year ago, and Sony only has one line still with 3d.

Last edited by Tns49; 03-14-2017 at 12:59 AM.
Old 03-13-2017, 07:19 PM   #11

Sep 2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryanmcv View Post
Nope, the curve doesn't cause any issues at all -- definitely not for 1 or 2 people watching from dead-center. The curve on the LG OLEDs is extremely subtle and doesn't necessarily help or hurt the TV in any way. I think that's why the curved TV trend is fading away: aside from making the TV look unique or futuristic, the curve doesn't serve much of a purpose.

That being said, I'm extremely pleased with my curved OLED55C6P. Like you, it's only viewed by 1 or 2 people straight-on, and the curve is only noticeable when you approach the TV from the side. I would highly recommend passive 3D over active. Having used both, the active glasses are a pain to charge and sync with the TV. But that's just me.
Curious since you own a Curved Model . How do the lines on like a Football field or a Basketball Court look on these Models . Thanks
Old 03-13-2017, 09:09 PM   #12
Power Member

Nov 2009
San Diego, CA

Leaning towards the c6 now -- one other question.

My current main tv is a 50" Panasonic Plasma just before they phased them out. I hear ones is supposed to have similar black levels. Is this true? How does something like a plasma compare to this set?

At the price ($3000) I just want to make sure I'm not taking a step down in quality in that area.
Old 03-13-2017, 10:17 PM   #13
Blu-ray Guru

Jul 2013

OLED blacks are freakishly good. Colors are really great too.

Space scenes are super real, pitch black with pin-points of light everywhere.

Coming from an LED/LCD, it was like night and day difference for me.
Old 03-13-2017, 10:29 PM   #14

Dec 2009
Lithonia, GA

LG 3d is the best in my opinion. the OLEDS look great and my 3 year old passive 4k 3d still looks great
Old 03-13-2017, 10:59 PM   #15
Power Member

Nov 2009
San Diego, CA

One last question. (Hopefully!)

I see a lot of complaints about motion on the b6/c6. Most seem to relate to gaming, but I only really plan to use this for movies and the occasional game. How bad is it?

I've also heard the b/c/g/e models are the same panel, but it looks like the e6 doesn't have the same issue as the c6? Is this true? And is it worth $500 more to get that instead?

Looking at $3000 vs $3500
Old 03-13-2017, 11:18 PM   #16
Blu-ray Samurai

Oct 2015
Bronx, NY

For what it's worth, I'm very happy with my Sony kdl50w800b, which is an active 50 inch 2014 model.

But like many, and this is irrelevant of make, model, size, active or passive, addition of the darbee 5000s video processor makes a tremendous addition.
Old 03-13-2017, 11:31 PM   #17
Blu-ray Guru

Jan 2013
Phoenix, AZ

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZIROK View Post
Curious since you own a Curved Model . How do the lines on like a Football field or a Basketball Court look on these Models . Thanks
Quote:
One last question. (Hopefully!)

I see a lot of complaints about motion on the b6/c6. Most seem to relate to gaming, but I only really plan to use this for movies and the occasional game. How bad is it?

I've also heard the b/c/g/e models are the same panel, but it looks like the e6 doesn't have the same issue as the c6? Is this true? And is it worth $500 more to get that instead?

Looking at $3000 vs $3500
I'll try to keep this short.

- On the curved C6, lines on football fields and basketball courts look perfect to me. There might be some distortion or bending of the lines if you view the TV from an extreme angle, but I think most sports fans will find this to be a non-issue.

- Motion on all LG OLEDs is an area of weakness. With the default "TruMotion" settings enabled, there can be noticeable artifacts or blockiness introduced near fast-moving objects. A workaround is to use custom TruMotion settings (typically setting de-judder between 0-2; de-blur to 10), but even with these settings, you'll get some occasional judder and artifacts. It's not a deal-breaker to me, it's just something you'll have to tweak to your own personal preferences.

- The C6, E6, and G6 all use the same processor and the picture quality, therefore, is nearly identical on all of them. The B6 uses a slightly different (possibly slower) processor that has resulted in higher input lag and additional motion issues. LG seems to have improved many of these issues via firmware update. However, the B6 does not have 3D capabilities, so it shouldn't even be on your radar. Bottom line: don't spend money on the E6 hoping for better picture quality. The only tangible differences are the thinner "picture on glass" design and the built-in soundbar.

Last edited by ryanmcv; 03-13-2017 at 11:41 PM. Reason: Fixed typo
Old 03-14-2017, 02:37 AM   #18
Power Member

Nov 2009
San Diego, CA

I'm at a bestbuy store now (Magnolia) and checking out the oled's. The B, C and E look considerably worse than the Samsung 78" 7500 or the Sony 65" 930D.

I can't tell if it's just the content (they're all running different demos and no way to change it) or something else. I know the OLED is supposed to look great, but all of the demos look pretty bad in comparison. They look like DNR, upscaled 1080p and highly compressed, but they're running the LG provided content off a USB drive.

Am I just crazy here or missing something?

Even the clarity up close seems better on a 78" Samsung (for the same price) compared to a 65" OLED. Since the content is different, I can't compare though.

There is no Magnolia employee here, they just sent the Samsung Expert over which I'm hesitant to trust.. but everything he's said looks true. The Samsung doesn't do 3D though.
Old 03-14-2017, 04:57 AM   #19
Blu-ray Guru

Jul 2013

If USB demo material looks bad on a 2016 OLED, I'd say the Samsung guy probably went into the LG settings and hosed them.

Goto a different store or come back later and ask BB guy to reset the OLED back to factory settings.

Also, if you select 'ISF Expert' picture modes, TruMotion is disabled.

Using TruMotion is what causes motion artifacts. You're better off without it. I never use it.

Last edited by Frank@Chicago; 03-14-2017 at 05:09 AM.
Old 03-14-2017, 05:13 AM   #20
Power Member

Nov 2009
San Diego, CA

Quote:
If USB demo material looks bad on a 2016 OLED, I'd say the Samsung guy probably went into the LG settings and hosed them.

Goto a different store or come back later and ask BB guy to reset the OLED back to factory settings.

Also, if you select 'ISF Expert' picture modes, TruMotion is disabled.

Using TruMotion is what causes motion artifacts. You're better off without it. I never use it.
I went to another Magnolia who is "special" and has their own content, but it's all 1080. I thought the picture still looked horrible, but he let me dig through the menus and go into Cinema mode, which looked much better. It wasn't "Vivid", so they probably wouldn't use it.. but everything was so DNR' on the default setting they had.

Apparently all BestBuys use the manufacturer-provided content for their demo, and for whatever reason (it might just be the TV settings) the OLED looked awful.

Looking forward to picking it up tomorrow after trying out the other settings.
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > 3D > 3D Hardware and Technology > 3D TVs and 3D projectors