Best 3D Blu-ray Deals

Best Blu-ray Movie Deals, See All the Deals »

Top deals | New deals  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Australia Japan
Harry Potter Hogwarts Collection (Blu-ray)
$97.23
 
Alita: Battle Angel 4K + 3D (Blu-ray)
$29.96
 
Aquaman 3D (Blu-ray)
$32.69
 
Pokémon: Detective Pikachu 3D (Blu-ray)
$29.99
 
Men in Black 3 3D (Blu-ray)
$9.22
3 hrs ago
Blade Runner 2049 3D (Blu-ray)
$19.99
 
The Amityville Horror Trilogy (Blu-ray)
$29.99
 
The Stewardesses 3D (Blu-ray)
$17.99
 
Dolphin Tale 3D (Blu-ray)
$16.61
 
Thor: The Dark World 3D (Blu-ray)
$20.14
 
Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice 3D (Blu-ray)
$17.97
 
The Good Dinosaur 3D (Blu-ray)
$19.04
 
What's your next favorite movie?
Join our movie community to find out


Image from: Life of Pi (2012)

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > 3D > 3D Hardware and Technology > 3D TVs and 3D projectors


Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-20-2016, 09:14 PM   #21
Al_The_Strange Al_The_Strange is offline
Blu-ray Prince
 
Al_The_Strange's Avatar
 
Apr 2009
Out there...past them trees...
126
235
3069
740
468
132
31
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steedeel View Post
A lot of people are very passionate about 3D, we don't need (IMO) smart Alecs patronising everyone who happens to care about the tech.
My comment was intended as ridiculous tongue-in-cheek humor. I apologize if I've come off as rude and patronizing. I personally have and support 3D technology, and would be rather saddened to see it go away.
  Reply With Quote
Thanks given by:
tob (06-20-2016)
Old 06-20-2016, 09:54 PM   #22
dartfrog298 dartfrog298 is offline
Special Member
 
dartfrog298's Avatar
 
Nov 2012
Kentwood, LA.
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by doctor_who View Post
You are straight up delusional. If people didn't mind wearing glasses at home, 3D would still be on every new tv.
Jbug was saying that people whom he has had at home to watch 3d have not complained about wearing glasses. I have had 3D TV for over 4 years now and I also have not had one person complain about having to wear the 3D glasses. IMO I don't think it's the glasses they don't like but the fact that 3D in itself gives them a headache so they assume that it's wearing the glasses that causes it.
  Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2016, 01:16 AM   #23
mar3o mar3o is offline
Blu-ray Champion
 
Dec 2011
2
Default

I needed a new TV just a couple months ago and learned that Samsung has zero 3D TVs this year. They dropped 3D completely. Vizio already dropped it. Sony has 3D on only a couple of their high-end models, and from the research I did when I was TV shopping, their active 3D this year is exceptionally poor with heavy crosstalk. That left me with one option - LG. And it's the best 3D I've seen on a TV screen. Passive 3D on a 4K UHD set is amazing. I know it's not 4k but the upscaling and the 4k resolution allow the passive to display the full 1080p image in 3D, and it destroys active 3D.

But I am indeed very worried about the format. I think Samsung are a bunch of morons for dropping support on a currently supported format. You can go to the theatre and see 3D films (some of the biggest summer blockbusters again this year are in 3D) and buy new 3D blu-rays, yet Samsung doesn't make TVs any more that can display them - and they don't see a problem with this.
  Reply With Quote
Thanks given by:
Taygan315 (06-21-2016)
Old 06-21-2016, 01:36 AM   #24
mar3o mar3o is offline
Blu-ray Champion
 
Dec 2011
2
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jbug View Post
Taygan, 3D on a passive LG OLED (2016 E6) is the best ever. I can't say enough about it. I'd never go back to active. I get no ghosting now. I also have a JS9500 and comparing the two reveals a big difference. Absolutely no bad viewing angles, more colorful, brighter, no batteries to keep track of and I have a bunch of glasses that I took home from theaters that work on the OLED plus no blooming and the best level of black available.
Yup - absolutely no crosstalk except in extreme conditions and even then it's virtually non-existent. Best 3D period. And that's only their LCD 4k sets. I imagine their OLED passive is even more amazing. Thankfully LG continues to see that 3D has its supporters. I specifically bought an LG TV this year because of their 3D support.


Quote:
Originally Posted by gunner99 View Post
Most of the new 2016 Panasonic Tvs come with active 3D

Except you can't even buy Panasonic TVs in the US. Certainly not in Best Buy.


Quote:
Originally Posted by doctor_who View Post
You are straight up delusional. If people didn't mind wearing glasses at home, 3D would still be on every new tv.
That's boloney. People gave up on 3D because the perception was that the studios gave up on it. They took far too long to start releasing great titles, and now that they are releasing great titles, and people are finally considering buying a 3D TV, most manufacturers are pulling the plug. What, do you honestly think everyone was going to throw out their current TVs and rush to the store all at once to buy a new 3D TV? Lol, people keep their current sets until they need a new one. I've seen many people on this site say they've been waiting to buy a new 3D TV but couldn't justify it financially until they needed a new set. The manufacturers just got impatient when everyone wasn't rushing to the store all at once.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dartfrog298 View Post
Jbug was saying that people whom he has had at home to watch 3d have not complained about wearing glasses. I have had 3D TV for over 4 years now and I also have not had one person complain about having to wear the 3D glasses. IMO I don't think it's the glasses they don't like but the fact that 3D in itself gives them a headache so they assume that it's wearing the glasses that causes it.
I don't think most people get headaches from theatrical 3D. 3D films make good money in the theatre, and IMAX used to draw in crowds of people to see their newest 3D shows. They wouldn't be selling all those 3D tickets if everyone was getting headaches. I think some 3D haters just use that excuse to hate on 3D. "Everyone gets headaches" or "everyone hates glasses" doesn't pass scrutiny. People who get headaches watching 3D should see an optometrist because it indicates possible eye problems. This is a fact.

I will say, my girlfriend use to get mild eye fatigue from our old active TV but never has a problem now that we have a passive LG set. It may be that active sets cause fatigue (and crosstalk) enough that it alienates many viewers. IMO active never should have been released as a format - I know passive used to have resolution issues with older 1080p sets but it was still far more comfortable to view than active. I think active has scared a lot of people away, and lackluster, weak 3D titles haven't helped. One of the best recent 3D films I've seen, in terms of depth, The Young and Prodigious T.S. Spivet, barely got a release in the US. Stores barely carry any 3D titles which also doesn't help the public's perception of the studios' support for home 3D. There are lots of 3D titles out there, including many great 50's and 80's classics now, but good luck finding them in a retail store.
  Reply With Quote
Thanks given by:
ilovenola2 (06-21-2016)
Old 06-21-2016, 01:36 AM   #25
EVERRET EVERRET is online now
Senior Member
 
EVERRET's Avatar
 
Sep 2014
California
15
409
1
Best Buy

6/20/2016

Existing 4K & 3D TV Retail count Rundown , This includes different models and different sizes.

Best Buy USA - http://www.bestbuy.com/site/searchpa...ce%20skuidsaas

LG
4K TVs - 21
3D TVs - 11

SONY
4K TVs - 15
3D TVs - 7

SAMSUNG
4K TVs - 46
3D TVs - 11

SHARP(/Hisense)
4K TVs - 4
3D TVs - 1

Currys / PC World - UK - http://www.currys.co.uk/gbuk/tv-and-...-criteria.html

LG
4K TVs - 39
3D TVs - 26

SONY
4K TVs - 34
3D TVs - 19

SAMSUNG
4K TVs - 42
3D TVs - 2

PANASONIC
4K TVs - 15
3D TVs - 10

With LG , Sony , and Panasonic supporting 3D TVs the way they are , 3D TVs should be around quite a while as long as they keep making good 3D movies with good 3D Blu-rays. The % of 3D TVs vs 4K TVs is still pretty high for those three Brands.

As a Longtime Samsung product supporter (2009) I am cutting my loyalty to them if they continue to not make 3D TVs in the future.
That includes my TVs, Players, Phones , Tablets , Monitors, Refrigerators, Washer and Dryers, and even my level one Headphones.

  Reply With Quote
Thanks given by:
DB5 (06-21-2016), Plissken Fan (06-21-2016), Taygan315 (06-21-2016)
Old 06-21-2016, 02:10 AM   #26
dartfrog298 dartfrog298 is offline
Special Member
 
dartfrog298's Avatar
 
Nov 2012
Kentwood, LA.
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by mar3o View Post
I needed a new TV just a couple months ago and learned that Samsung has zero 3D TVs this year. They dropped 3D completely. Vizio already dropped it. Sony has 3D on only a couple of their high-end models, and from the research I did when I was TV shopping, their active 3D this year is exceptionally poor with heavy crosstalk. That left me with one option - LG. And it's the best 3D I've seen on a TV screen. Passive 3D on a 4K UHD set is amazing. I know it's not 4k but the upscaling and the 4k resolution allow the passive to display the full 1080p image in 3D, and it destroys active 3D.

But I am indeed very worried about the format. I think Samsung are a bunch of morons for dropping support on a currently supported format. You can go to the theatre and see 3D films (some of the biggest summer blockbusters again this year are in 3D) and buy new 3D blu-rays, yet Samsung doesn't make TVs any more that can display them - and they don't see a problem with this.
4 years ago I bought an LG 42" 3D passive TV for my bedroom. I never experienced any of the complaints I hear from people here with active sets. I recently bought an LG 60" 4K 3D TV and absolutely love it. The picture quality is incredible! Just wish now I would have spent the extra for the OLED set. But really, no complaints here at all.
  Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2016, 03:01 AM   #27
BLMN BLMN is offline
Blu-ray Guru
 
Feb 2011
Southern NH
49
431
37
8
Default

Paul H and Jbug already convinced me on which TV to get. Even tho I never had any ghosting or crosstalk on my DLP Active 3D TV's, I am giving my 65" one to my in-laws and keeping the 82" and I'm going to buy the 65" OLED passive 3D-4k at the end of the year.
  Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2016, 11:37 AM   #28
mredman mredman is online now
Blu-ray Baron
 
Jun 2008
12
7
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jbug View Post
Taygan, 3D on a passive LG OLED (2016 E6) is the best ever. I can't say enough about it. I'd never go back to active. I get no ghosting now. I also have a JS9500 and comparing the two reveals a big difference. Absolutely no bad viewing angles, more colorful, brighter, no batteries to keep track of and I have a bunch of glasses that I took home from theaters that work on the OLED plus no blooming and the best level of black available.
yeah 3D projectors are still going strong. And 3D looks amazing on them.

There are still tv's coming out with the 3D feature its just not marketed but they have the feature.
  Reply With Quote
Thanks given by:
Taygan315 (06-21-2016)
Old 06-21-2016, 11:46 AM   #29
Todd Tomorrow Todd Tomorrow is offline
Blu-ray Ninja
 
Todd Tomorrow's Avatar
 
Nov 2008
Berlin, Germany
1
Default

I've always watched 3D on my projector, it just feels so much more immersive than a TV. I think it will take a while till 4K projectors become affordable and I'm in no rush to upgrade. Meanwhile regular 1080p projectors will still support 3D for some time to come.
  Reply With Quote
Thanks given by:
gamermwm (06-23-2016), Taygan315 (06-21-2016)
Old 06-21-2016, 11:48 AM   #30
Todd Tomorrow Todd Tomorrow is offline
Blu-ray Ninja
 
Todd Tomorrow's Avatar
 
Nov 2008
Berlin, Germany
1
Default

I've always watched 3D on my projector, just feels more immersive than a TV. I think it will take a while till 4K projectors become affordable and I'm in no rush to upgrade. Meanwhile regular 1080p projectors will still support 3D for some time to come. When 4K projectors become the mainstream, 1080p 3D models will get quite cheap and I'll snap up another model.
  Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2016, 12:23 PM   #31
mar3o mar3o is offline
Blu-ray Champion
 
Dec 2011
2
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by EVERRET View Post
6/20/2016

Existing 4K & 3D TV Retail count Rundown , This includes different models and different sizes.

Best Buy USA - http://www.bestbuy.com/site/searchpa...ce%20skuidsaas

LG
4K TVs - 21
3D TVs - 11

SONY
4K TVs - 15
3D TVs - 7

SAMSUNG
4K TVs - 46
3D TVs - 11

SHARP(/Hisense)
4K TVs - 4
3D TVs - 1

Currys / PC World - UK - http://www.currys.co.uk/gbuk/tv-and-...-criteria.html

LG
4K TVs - 39
3D TVs - 26

SONY
4K TVs - 34
3D TVs - 19

SAMSUNG
4K TVs - 42
3D TVs - 2

PANASONIC
4K TVs - 15
3D TVs - 10

With LG , Sony , and Panasonic supporting 3D TVs the way they are , 3D TVs should be around quite a while as long as they keep making good 3D movies with good 3D Blu-rays. The % of 3D TVs vs 4K TVs is still pretty high for those three Brands.

As a Longtime Samsung product supporter (2009) I am cutting my loyalty to them if they continue to not make 3D TVs in the future.
That includes my TVs, Players, Phones , Tablets , Monitors, Refrigerators, Washer and Dryers, and even my level one Headphones.

Most of those sets are older models. 2016 3D sets are almost non-existent compared to previous years, with LG being the only big supporter. Walk into a retail Best Buy and see how many 3D TVs are on the floor for sale. Again, Sony makes lousy active 3D TVs with horrible crosstalk - there's threads about it on the tech forums. And you can't buy a Panasonic TV in retail Best Buy stores. They don't stock them. Sony makes 2 3D TVs this year - that's it. Samsung has dropped all 3D support on this year's models. No 2016 Samsungs have 3D. Vizio is out. That leaves essentially LG for great 3D or Sony for poor 3D.
  Reply With Quote
Thanks given by:
master gandhi (06-22-2016)
Old 06-21-2016, 02:05 PM   #32
ninfan81 ninfan81 is online now
Blu-ray Guru
 
ninfan81's Avatar
 
Feb 2007
Union County NJ
423
3551
20
148
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by mar3o View Post
Most of those sets are older models. 2016 3D sets are almost non-existent compared to previous years, with LG being the only big supporter. Walk into a retail Best Buy and see how many 3D TVs are on the floor for sale. Again, Sony makes lousy active 3D TVs with horrible crosstalk - there's threads about it on the tech forums. And you can't buy a Panasonic TV in retail Best Buy stores. They don't stock them. Sony makes 2 3D TVs this year - that's it. Samsung has dropped all 3D support on this year's models. No 2016 Samsungs have 3D. Vizio is out. That leaves essentially LG for great 3D or Sony for poor 3D.
I was a long time Samsung supporter but because of the reasons you just stated I'm going LG when I upgrade to 4K later this year. It's a shame the 3D feature is being cut so rapidly
  Reply With Quote
Thanks given by:
master gandhi (06-22-2016)
Old 06-21-2016, 02:18 PM   #33
keenly keenly is offline
Active Member
 
keenly's Avatar
 
Jan 2014
5
Default

Tame 3D has made it obsolete.
  Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2016, 02:20 PM   #34
keenly keenly is offline
Active Member
 
keenly's Avatar
 
Jan 2014
5
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by doctor_who View Post
You are straight up delusional. If people didn't mind wearing glasses at home, 3D would still be on every new tv.
NONSENSE. 3D has failed because of how tame it is. People see no worthwhile difference.
  Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2016, 02:31 PM   #35
BossTweed BossTweed is offline
Active Member
 
Jun 2011
4
289
115
1
Default

Directors should be pushing the Pop Out envelope instead of just barely pushing out the 3D or 3D depth that is no different from 2D.
  Reply With Quote
Thanks given by:
keenly (06-24-2016), master gandhi (06-22-2016)
Old 06-21-2016, 02:35 PM   #36
Paul H Paul H is offline
Blu-ray Samurai
 
Paul H's Avatar
 
Jul 2007
2
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by keenly View Post
3D has failed because of how tame it is. People see no worthwhile difference.
If the 3D was as tame as you suggest it would have also failed theatrically.
However, your statement is correct, but not because the 3D source is worthless. First, second and third generation displays only provided tame 3D illusion. Resolving images further presented various chromatic and ghosting artifacts..

Today's display technology is efficiently capable of fully resolving 3D, optimizing the illusion with no artifacts.
  Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2016, 03:21 PM   #37
Frank@Chicago Frank@Chicago is offline
Blu-ray Guru
 
Frank@Chicago's Avatar
 
Jul 2013
Default

I believe newer sets (especially 4K sets) are far more efficient than older sets as well.

The 3D I'm getting on older discs is generally far better than reviews (at the time) suggest.

On my 2015 LG, the 3D in Jurassic Park 3D (1993) is strong enough to kill a mule.

I had to turn it off due to feeling ill, been meaning to try again since I've watched many other 3D titles since.

I hope LG continues to have 3D as a feature, I'd like to get an OLED set later on when prices are lower.
  Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2016, 05:06 PM   #38
gazadams gazadams is offline
Senior Member
 
Aug 2015
Default

the glasses are so light you dont even no their are on
  Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2016, 05:13 PM   #39
Taygan315 Taygan315 is offline
Blu-ray Samurai
 
Taygan315's Avatar
 
Aug 2012
11
10
2
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jbug View Post
Taygan, 3D on a passive LG OLED (2016 E6) is the best ever. I can't say enough about it. I'd never go back to active. I get no ghosting now. I also have a JS9500 and comparing the two reveals a big difference. Absolutely no bad viewing angles, more colorful, brighter, no batteries to keep track of and I have a bunch of glasses that I took home from theaters that work on the OLED plus no blooming and the best level of black available.
I am thinking of upgrading next year to a 65'' 4K LG 3D passive. Would like OLED...just depends if I can afford it. I have always bought my gear on cash only...but I may ACTUALLY apply for my FIRST EVER credit card to get it sooner than later and just make payments (like most people do,lol). I don't know yet...we will see
  Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2016, 05:31 PM   #40
Taygan315 Taygan315 is offline
Blu-ray Samurai
 
Taygan315's Avatar
 
Aug 2012
11
10
2
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul H View Post
If the 3D was as tame as you suggest it would have also failed theatrically.
However, your statement is correct, but not because the 3D source is worthless. First, second and third generation displays only provided tame 3D illusion. Resolving images further presented various chromatic and ghosting artifacts..

Today's display technology is efficiently capable of fully resolving 3D, optimizing the illusion with no artifacts.
I also think that if the 3D was tame it was because, in large part, lackluster effort and support from the studios in making the best 3D presentation and maximizing the 3D tech that is available. Just my personal and unproven opinion I realize...but I think 3D didn't have a lot of support from the beginning from Hollywood or the studios.
  Reply With Quote
Thanks given by:
Paul H (06-21-2016)
Reply
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > 3D > 3D Hardware and Technology > 3D TVs and 3D projectors


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 12:02 AM.