Best 3D Blu-ray Deals

Best Blu-ray Movie Deals, See All the Deals »

Top deals | New deals  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Australia Japan
Harry Potter Hogwarts Collection (Blu-ray)
$97.23

Alita: Battle Angel 4K + 3D (Blu-ray)
$29.96

Aquaman 3D (Blu-ray)
$32.69

Pokémon: Detective Pikachu 3D (Blu-ray)
$29.99

Men in Black 3 3D (Blu-ray)
$9.22
4 hrs ago
The Stewardesses 3D (Blu-ray)
$17.99

Blade Runner 2049 3D (Blu-ray)
$19.99

The Amityville Horror Trilogy (Blu-ray)
$29.99

Dolphin Tale 3D (Blu-ray)
$16.61

Thor: The Dark World 3D (Blu-ray)
$20.14

Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice 3D (Blu-ray)
$17.97

The Good Dinosaur 3D (Blu-ray)
$19.04

What's your next favorite movie?
Join our movie community to find out

Image from: Life of Pi (2012)

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > 3D > 3D Hardware and Technology > 3D TVs and 3D projectors

Old 06-21-2016, 06:57 PM   #41
Special Member

Nov 2012
Kentwood, LA.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taygan315 View Post
I am thinking of upgrading next year to a 65'' 4K LG 3D passive. Would like OLED...just depends if I can afford it. I have always bought my gear on cash only...but I may ACTUALLY apply for my FIRST EVER credit card to get it sooner than later and just make payments (like most people do,lol). I don't know yet...we will see
Taygan purchase through paypal credit like I did. If you pay it off in 6 mos you pay no interest.
Thanks given by:
EVERRET (06-23-2016), Taygan315 (06-22-2016)
Old 06-21-2016, 07:31 PM   #42
Power Member

Jul 2010
Chicago, IL

Quote:
Originally Posted by dartfrog298 View Post
Taygan purchase through paypal credit like I did. If you pay it off in 6 mos you pay no interest.
At Best Buy (and a few other places) you apply for their store card and can get up to 3 years at 0%.
Thanks given by:
Taygan315 (06-22-2016)
Old 06-21-2016, 11:55 PM   #43
Power Member

Jun 2011
Orlando, Fl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taygan315 View Post
I am thinking of upgrading next year to a 65'' 4K LG 3D passive. Would like OLED...just depends if I can afford it. I have always bought my gear on cash only...but I may ACTUALLY apply for my FIRST EVER credit card to get it sooner than later and just make payments (like most people do,lol). I don't know yet...we will see
I'm not like most people, if I don't have the money I don't buy it, here's what I would do, save and put the money away, in the meantime the prices will drop because of newer 2017 models coming out and then right around Superbowl time they will be on sale. Just my 2 cents
Old 06-22-2016, 01:19 AM   #44
Blu-ray Duke

Dec 2011
USA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jbug View Post
I don't know one person who complains about wearing the glasses. In movie theaters everyone who goes to see a 3D movie wears them. Not one person who's come over my house has mentioned anything about not liking to wear glasses. I think that theory doesn't hold up under scrutiny.
That's good to hear. I unfortunately hear it more often from my own experiences.
I don't mind passive 3D glasses, though I've grown to favor them over my battery powered active glasses.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cinerama View Post
Glasses free 3DTV is a waste of time. They have been working on it for many years. All the demos I have seen have no pop-out and you have to sit in a sweet spot for it to work. The percentage of the population that will only watch 3D if you don't need glasses is very small. The manufacturers would never make a profit.
But that's why Sony hasn't presented their final version to the public yet. They stated in the past that the technology needs more development before it meets their standards. As you know, technology improves despite what we've seen in the past.
The percentage of people who don't want to wear 3D glasses to watch 3D in the US is the mainstream audience. Roughly about 30-40% of moviegoers tend to favor modern 3D with the glasses over 2D. When I'm in line buying 3D tickets, I hear during a crowded line, "I don't want to wear those dumb glasses, let's see the regular version".

Theaters will take longer to go glasses free, but all I was saying is that once the tech is perfected, 3D without the need for glasses will be awesome. Have you seen the 3DS live in motion? It's an impressive 3D effect with great pop outs. That's the effect I was referring to in that early post you quoted.
Old 06-22-2016, 03:00 AM   #45
Blu-ray Guru

Jun 2014
Under an arch

I never bought the glasses complaint. There are much more likely concerns.

1. You have to buy a special TV
2. You have to buy a special Blu-ray player.
3. You have to buy special glasses
even if your set came with a couple you still have to consider friends
4. You have to really like cartoons if you want a quality collection.
5. 4K TVs look fantastic in 2d and if you haven't already purchased 3d, well...
Old 06-22-2016, 04:12 AM   #46
Blu-ray Samurai

Oct 2015
Bronx, NY

Hi all,

As an owner of the Sony kdl 50w800b, I found the issues of crosstalk occurred when too much depth was set on both the player and the set. I have found a happy medium between the two which provides a razor sharp picture, a tremendous amount of depth with pop out and no crosstalk except in some few isolated scenes.

As far as the active glasses, purchased five rechargeable sets for about $17 each from eBay that were compatible with my set and actually gives a slightly more vivid picture than the two pairs included with the set. More comfortable, the charge lasts for about 40 hours and recharging takes about two.

Know the picture is a bit darker than passive but is in full 1080p which gives razor sharp quality for good discs like Pacific Rim. Colors are rich and comparable to the standard Blu ray as often noted in Blu ray com. Have only seen passive in store demonstrations which also looked great.

Last edited by Joe D.; 06-22-2016 at 04:16 AM.
Thanks given by:
Taygan315 (06-22-2016)
Old 06-22-2016, 08:50 AM   #47
Blu-ray Samurai

Aug 2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by DB5 View Post
I'm not like most people, if I don't have the money I don't buy it, here's what I would do, save and put the money away, in the meantime the prices will drop because of newer 2017 models coming out and then right around Superbowl time they will be on sale. Just my 2 cents
That is exactly how I do it DB5!! All my gear in my home theater gallery thread (which I REALLY need to update because things look different now in the manCLAYve,lol) I purchased by saving up for 3 years. I'm just getting impatient,lol. Your right...and I have taken steps to saving for that 65'' OLED 4K 3D LG HDTV by securing a second job...hopefully. Find out in a couple of days. If I get the job....IT'S ON!
Old 06-22-2016, 08:59 AM   #48

Feb 2015
London, England

I'll upgrade to a 4K OLED when I move house or when they stop making them, there's no way I am in any position to get one now...
Old 06-23-2016, 06:52 AM   #49
Blu-ray Samurai

Jan 2013
United States

I'll probably stick to the pattern of getting a new TV approximately every six years, so my next TV will be in 2020 most likely. Hopefully I won't be disappointed by my options when the time comes. I'm pretty sure the next Avatar will help keep 3D relevant a while longer still.
Old 06-23-2016, 09:01 PM   #50
Special Member

Jul 2009

Sure hoping they'll be able to do high frame rate 3D by then! I won't buy the Hobbit movies until those are out at the right frame rate- they're among the very few 3D titles I don't have.
Thanks given by:
master gandhi (06-25-2016)
Old 10-11-2017, 01:20 PM   #51
Blu-ray Ninja

Feb 2008
Default I collected 3D editions to "future proof" for when I bought a 3D TV LOL

And now they are becoming as rare as hens teeth to find in shops.

What a joke.

I've got all these 3D disks that I may never watch unless the industry starts manufacturing 3D TV's again.

I understand 3D is still an ongoing thing with projectors? I was sort of leaning away from projectors (have a very good 2D projector) and leaning towards a nice 70+ inch TV for my next display....
Old 10-11-2017, 01:39 PM   #52
Blu-ray Ninja

Sep 2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by #Darren View Post
And now they are becoming as rare as hens teeth to find in shops.

What a joke.

I've got all these 3D disks that I may never watch unless the industry starts manufacturing 3D TV's again.

I understand 3D is still an ongoing thing with projectors? I was sort of leaning away from projectors (have a very good 2D projector) and leaning towards a nice 70+ inch TV for my next display....
You can get an awesome projector for 3d at under $800 by going with a BenQ DLP:
https://www.amazon.com/BenQ-DLP-1080.../dp/B016JYOQ3W

If you need more placement flexibility a few extra hundred bucks can get you short throw (HT2150ST) or for more money extra lens shift (HT6050).

DLP by far offers best 3d output as there is zero ghosting or flicker as with lcd/lcos.

Last edited by Ruined; 10-11-2017 at 01:45 PM.
Thanks given by:
#Darren (10-12-2017), bavanut (10-12-2017)
Old 10-12-2017, 03:59 AM   #53
Blu-ray Ninja

Feb 2008

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruined View Post
You can get an awesome projector for 3d at under $800 by going with a BenQ DLP:
https://www.amazon.com/BenQ-DLP-1080.../dp/B016JYOQ3W

If you need more placement flexibility a few extra hundred bucks can get you short throw (HT2150ST) or for more money extra lens shift (HT6050).

DLP by far offers best 3d output as there is zero ghosting or flicker as with lcd/lcos.
Thanks for the feedback.

As I said I am sort of leaning away from projectors for my next display. But never say never.
Thanks given by:
bavanut (10-12-2017)
Old 10-12-2017, 10:59 PM   #54

Jun 2011
Burbank, California

Optoma has been my brand of choice in projectors. They offer 3-D-capable models that are very attractively priced.

You may also profit from Google Cardboard or other variants of VR. Getting the films from disc into a usable format will mean some online research and a little bit of work, but I can say in my case it has been very well worth it. I have the assurance that I will be able to watch my existing collection anytime I want for the rest of my days, regardless what the manufacturers may do.
Old 10-13-2017, 03:57 AM   #55

Oct 2012

Quote:
Thanks for the feedback.

As I said I am sort of leaning away from projectors for my next display. But never say never.
Hate to say it, but if your leaning away from projectors, then your leaning away from 3D...............
Old 10-13-2017, 02:27 PM   #56
Expert Member

Feb 2017

Quote:
Thanks for the feedback.

Get a 2016 4K LG Oled with 3D (anything but B6), those have some awesome 3D capability. Only thing thats missing from 2017 models is 60Hz 4k Dolby Vision mode, they are restricted to 30Hz, unless you plan to game a lot in 60Hz DV @ 4k it won't matter.
Old 10-13-2017, 09:42 PM   #57
Power Member

Oct 2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by bavanut View Post
Optoma has been my brand of choice in projectors. They offer 3-D-capable models that are very attractively priced.

You may also profit from Google Cardboard or other variants of VR. Getting the films from disc into a usable format will mean some online research and a little bit of work, but I can say in my case it has been very well worth it. I have the assurance that I will be able to watch my existing collection anytime I want for the rest of my days, regardless what the manufacturers may do.
PSVR makes it very easy and you've got your own Imax size theatre.
Thanks given by:
bavanut (10-13-2017), Grinny (10-15-2017)
Old 10-20-2017, 05:20 PM   #58

Feb 2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by KRW1 View Post
PSVR makes it very easy and you've got your own Imax size theatre.
Any details or additional info on this? I have done zero research on VR.

I have a different problem from the OP in that I haven't watched many of my 3D discs because I have been waiting to "upgrade" my projector to 3D and therefore reticent to watch on my 3D TV. But I never end up doing it because of cost and the fact that I love my current 2D projector.

Perhaps VR could be a nice compromise for me! Any help/insights are appreciated. Thanks all!
Old 10-23-2017, 05:49 PM   #59
Power Member

Oct 2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by avoiceoreason View Post
Any details or additional info on this? I have done zero research on VR.

I have a different problem from the OP in that I haven't watched many of my 3D discs because I have been waiting to "upgrade" my projector to 3D and therefore reticent to watch on my 3D TV. But I never end up doing it because of cost and the fact that I love my current 2D projector.

Perhaps VR could be a nice compromise for me! Any help/insights are appreciated. Thanks all!
First off, it's definitely not worth buying a PSVR just for 3D movies. I'm not a huge fan of 3D but there are some movies that are worth seeing in the format and, for me, the quality is very acceptable and the 3D effect is very, very good. There are others who know more about picture quality than me, and they might be able to give more info. But for sheer size, it's hard to beat.

It's not just strapping a screen to your head, it gives you a pitch black space with a screen that looks to be about 10-20 feet away and if you move your head, the screen stays still so once you get accustomed to it, it's like sitting in a large theatre.

If you've already got a PS4, and are interested in VR, it's a no-brainer. It's an amazing piece of kit and Sony does, so far, seem keen to support it.

I would not recommend buying both bits of kit just for 3D movies though.

I'm in the same boat with my 2D PJ, I love it and I reckon it's got some years left in it!
Thanks given by:
avoiceoreason (10-23-2017)
Old 10-24-2017, 02:46 PM   #60
Blu-ray Guru

Jul 2013

I have PS4 and camera, with a pair Move controllers from PS3 days.

Not super interested in VR or watching movies on a headset but...

If my 3D TV broke and no easy replacement could be found, it's possible.

PSVR doesn't seem to be selling well in America, only going to get cheaper.

Might get one at some point to play around with and have as a 3D backup.

There's a new model coming out with HDR pass thru and ear buds built-in (?).

If nothing changes, I can see Stores dumping PSVR after Christmas in January.

My Target has already Clearanced all PSVR-required games like FarPoint ($14).

Last edited by Frank@Chicago; 10-24-2017 at 05:27 PM.
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > 3D > 3D Hardware and Technology > 3D TVs and 3D projectors