Best 3D Blu-ray Deals

Best Blu-ray Movie Deals, See All the Deals »

Top deals | New deals  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Australia Japan
Harry Potter Hogwarts Collection (Blu-ray)
$97.23

Alita: Battle Angel 4K + 3D (Blu-ray)
$29.96

Aquaman 3D (Blu-ray)
$32.69

Pokémon: Detective Pikachu 3D (Blu-ray)
$29.99

Blade Runner 2049 3D (Blu-ray)
$19.99

Fascination Coral Reef 3D: Mysterious Worlds Underwater (Blu-ray)
$7.08

The Amityville Horror Trilogy (Blu-ray)
$29.99

The Stewardesses 3D (Blu-ray)
$17.99

Dolphin Tale 3D (Blu-ray)
$16.61

Thor: The Dark World 3D (Blu-ray)
$20.14

Justice League 3D (Blu-ray)
$19.99

The Secret Life of Pets 3D (Blu-ray)
$14.12

What's your next favorite movie?
Join our movie community to find out

Image from: Life of Pi (2012)

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > 3D > 3D Hardware and Technology > 3D TVs and 3D projectors

Old 04-09-2018, 06:07 AM   #1
Expert Member

Oct 2017
Beach in North Carolina
Lightbulb Sharpness, Super High Resolution, Edge Enhancement and 3d viewing on LG OLEDs

Kenbar wrote this on the avs forum as to the correct setting for sharpness while watching 3d blu rays on oleds:

"Not positive, but seems like sharpness 100% = raw (just as is, straight from the source) from what I can tell on LG Oleds. Most Tv's combine edge enhancement and sharpness (and creates issues). But from what I can tell the LG Oleds do not, they have a seperated edge enhancement control depending on the picture mode (I think...might be available in all modes?)

Put on a all digital/transfer movie such as the new 2017 Beauty and the Beast, Guardians of the Galaxy, Passengers (I think) or any recent animated movie...Tangled, Moana, Coco ect (all in 3D for the best image possible, of course)...and they look awesome with sharpness 100%...super clear/clean...and grain free. I even use super resolution high+sharpness 100 and no problem. No halo effect typically associated with the sharpness control (have not tried it with the edge enhancement on). Crystal clear and clean 3D images to my eyes.

But movies like Last Jedi is a film transfer. And there is grain unfortunately. To me it looks like the 3D depth on movies with grain...is always a level below excellent...3D or not, I don't like grain. Last Jedi 3D image quality is pretty darn good, but not the best I have seen. Documentaries like Jerusalem 3D and Mozart 3D rank excellent for the 3D imagery in my book."

He seems to also think not using HDR and lowering oled light number to 45 or so is good idea to stop burn in. Further, use of zoom feature to eliminate black bars is, he says, now recommended by LG to help with burn in issue.
Old 04-10-2018, 12:02 AM   #2
Blu-ray Samurai

Jul 2007

Read the thread at AVS but didn't really think about trying the settings since I was very satisfied with my 3D settings, the default H Sharpness @ 10 & V Sharpness @ 10.

So far I've Experimented with Jumanji 3D and see clearer sharp detail, but I haven't changed any other of my custom 3D settings which include for 3D, Super Resolution High and Edge Enhancer ON.
Think I will first turn Edge Enhancer OFF to look at the next title, Beauty and the Beast, and see if I like sharpness @ 100% = H 50 & V 50.
Thanks given by:
wildbill722 (04-10-2018)
Old 04-10-2018, 02:10 AM   #3
Blu-ray Samurai

Oct 2015
Bronx, NY

I relied on using Disney Wow for calibration. So many adjustment patterns since I used advanced and went through the entire menu. And even though I have my sharpness, resolutions, enhancements etc towards the higher end, those are still very dependent upon the many other user settings like black level, contrast, blsck corrector, advanced contrast, smoothness, etc. Also needed to use the basic contrast adjustment on my a/v receiver since my Sony itself couldn't get all the white squares on the test pattern to be invisible where required. Took quite a while but got it right.

So I'm sure the same would prove satisfactory for your LG after taking the time.

Of course, there are additional settings on other devices that are changed only for 3D. I have a darbee video processor which is set at 74 for normal HD but increased to 80 for 3D which does increase sharpness, detail and depth without creating distortion.

Both my monitor and player have 3D depth settings from -2 to +2 (5 total). I found through experimentation the best depth is having my set at +2 and player at -2. Leaving both at 0 gives a nice picture but this combination does not cause ghosting, shimmering or harshness but really immersive 3D front to back and beyond. Thanks to the darbee I am able to do this. Without the darbee, I do get a harsher picture with some ghosting.

PS. Disney wow is a great disc but is now selling for over $50, more than twice what I paid for it almost three years ago. There are others too but using a calibration disc is much better than eyeballing it.
Thanks given by:
wildbill722 (04-10-2018)
Old 04-10-2018, 03:07 AM   #4
Blu-ray Guru

Jul 2013

My C6 OLED switches to 'Standard' preset for 3D and I leave the settings per LG.

There's a bit more sharpness, brightness, and color to compensate for 3D glasses.

For 2D, I use Expert Dark Room.
Thanks given by:
wildbill722 (04-10-2018)
Old 04-10-2018, 03:29 AM   #5
Blu-ray Samurai

Oct 2015
Bronx, NY

P.S.

Hi Wild Bill,

Please forgive me, my friend, for not saying hi to you when responding to your inquiry.

Still considering a darbee?

Joe
Old 04-10-2018, 03:28 PM   #6
Expert Member

Oct 2017
Beach in North Carolina

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe D. View Post
P.S.

Hi Wild Bill,

Please forgive me, my friend, for not saying hi to you when responding to your inquiry.

Still considering a darbee?

Joe
Hey Joey 3-d:

I am glad to hear your wife is doing better. She is in our thoughts, and you, as well. I have to go back and read Paul H's info on inserting darbees into his system, as mine is very similar to his. I do want to try it, but I want to do it right, and this time of year is a mess in the legal business.

We are on the frontier of learning how our 3d systems really work and for me there is nothing better than being the first to try out new things. Kind of like the 3d Wild West!

As usual, wonderful to hear from you. Bill
Old 04-10-2018, 03:42 PM   #7
Blu-ray Samurai

Oct 2015
Bronx, NY

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildbill722 View Post
Hey Joey 3-d:

I am glad to hear your wife is doing better. She is in our thoughts, and you, as well. I have to go back and read Paul H's info on inserting darbees into his system, as mine is very similar to his. I do want to try it, but I want to do it right, and this time of year is a mess in the legal business.

We are on the frontier of learning how our 3d systems really work and for me there is nothing better than being the first to try out new things. Kind of like the 3d Wild West!

As usual, wonderful to hear from you. Bill
Hi wild bill,

As always,

Only our best wishes and warm thoughts for you and yours.

For me, I have my cable box, blu ray player and vhs (yup, have a dvd combo) hooked into my a/v receiver. The HDMI output is connected to the darbee input. The darbee HDMI output goes directly to the monitor.

Joey 3-D hee hee

Last edited by Joe D.; 04-10-2018 at 03:46 PM.
Old 04-11-2018, 02:24 PM   #8
Blu-ray Samurai

Jul 2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul H View Post
Read the thread at AVS but didn't really think about trying the settings since I was very satisfied with my 3D settings, the default H Sharpness @ 10 & V Sharpness @ 10.

So far I've Experimented with Jumanji 3D and see clearer sharp detail, but I haven't changed any other of my custom 3D settings which include for 3D, Super Resolution High and Edge Enhancer ON.
Think I will first turn Edge Enhancer OFF to look at the next title, Beauty and the Beast, and see if I like sharpness @ 100% = H 50 & V 50.
It was interesting to find out that my two different LG OLED models react very differently to Sharpness increases in 3D mode. The LG 65E6P OLED has no issues with sharpness increases in 3D mode, but I found that my LG 65EG9600 OLED is at its optimum sharpness levels at the default settings of both H & V @ 10. Any sharpness increase produces grain artifacts and edge halos.

In fact I believe the EG9600 gives the clearest 3D experience with the most detailed images of the two sets @ default settings. If I set the LGE6P in 3D mode with sharpness levels @ maximum levels, which produces no visual artifacts, and Super Resolution on High and Edge Enhancer-On, it will produce a similar "raw" "straight-from-the-source" IMO 3D experience.
Old 04-11-2018, 03:28 PM   #9
Special Member

Oct 2009

Putting the sharpness up to 30 will definitely show an increase in ringing and overall noise. I used the Transformers 3D disc to show this. It is a scene at the castle with Anthony Hopkins I will have to timestamp later. You can switch between picture modes and clearly see the difference.

A good alternative is setting the Sharpness to 20 and the Super Resolution to Medium. This is identical to the Dolby Vision Bright settings on my C6. I also turn my contrast up to 95. 3D needs light output! I do agree though where setting the sharpness up in 3D mode is far more subtle than in 2D.
Old 04-11-2018, 06:13 PM   #10
Blu-ray Samurai

Oct 2015
Bronx, NY

I try not to change my user settings. But with 3D have to increase my darbee from 74 to 80.
Old 04-13-2018, 03:11 AM   #11

Oct 2014

What I have found, on my LG 6CP, is sharpness 50 (100%) works very well on 3D...if the source (disc for example) is clean with little/no grain. Along with super resolution set to high. It does bring out grain if present in the source of course. But I just accept that. A good trade off to see a clean 3D disc being all it can be. Amazing image quality.

I would encourage folks with 2016 3D Oleds to give it a shot...easy to just put the super resolution back along with the sharpness if you find your set does not respond well. Your Oled will retain the settings for 3D separate from 2D discs, as you probably know.

It falls apart with regular blu-rays however. I found sharpness 25~26 to be the max before artifacting (shimmering, halo effect of sorts) become apparent on my set.

True 4K (?) (tested with the movie Lucy) can run sharpness 50 (100%) with super resolution set to low and is stable from what I can tell.

LG is indeed suggesting using the zoom to eliminate black bars from wide screen movies as a burn in (uneven wear) preventative in the 2018 oled owners manuals. A recommendation I suspect no one will follow, including me.
Thanks given by:
Paul H (04-13-2018), wildbill722 (04-13-2018)
Old 04-13-2018, 03:41 PM   #12
Blu-ray Samurai

Oct 2015
Bronx, NY

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenbar View Post
What I have found, on my LG 6CP, is sharpness 50 (100%) works very well on 3D...if the source (disc for example) is clean with little/no grain. Along with super resolution set to high. It does bring out grain if present in the source of course. But I just accept that. A good trade off to see a clean 3D disc being all it can be. Amazing image quality.

I would encourage folks with 2016 3D Oleds to give it a shot...easy to just put the super resolution back along with the sharpness if you find your set does not respond well. Your Oled will retain the settings for 3D separate from 2D discs, as you probably know.

It falls apart with regular blu-rays however. I found sharpness 25~26 to be the max before artifacting (shimmering, halo effect of sorts) become apparent on my set.

True 4K (?) (tested with the movie Lucy) can run sharpness 50 (100%) with super resolution set to low and is stable from what I can tell.

LG is indeed suggesting using the zoom to eliminate black bars from wide screen movies as a burn in (uneven wear) preventative in the 2018 oled owners manuals. A recommendation I suspect no one will follow, including me.
Hi kenbar,

I'm under the impression that sharpness or resolution has to be increased somewhere along the line for 3D compared to Blu-ray and cable. As mentioned, this is done with my darbee with great results - a sharper picture with more detail but no harshness or shimmering, ghosting, etc. Yet it's a little too harsh watching the other sources, especially if there is a question of grain.
Old 04-13-2018, 04:07 PM   #13
Expert Member

Oct 2017
Beach in North Carolina

Quote:

Thank you for your suggestions. They are working wonderfully for me. Can you share anything else you have discovered to make our 3d a better experience?

You and Paul H have been very helpful in sorting out an area that is basically uncharted.
Old 04-13-2018, 05:07 PM   #14
Blu-ray Samurai

Oct 2015
Bronx, NY

Quote:
Thank you for your suggestions. They are working wonderfully for me. Can you share anything else you have discovered to make our 3d a better experience?

You and Paul H have been very helpful in sorting out an area that is basically uncharted.
Hi wild bill,

I'm still going to push the darbee on you. But not mine!
Old 04-13-2018, 10:29 PM   #15
Expert Member

Oct 2017
Beach in North Carolina

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe D. View Post
Hi wild bill,

I'm still going to push the darbee on you. But not mine!
Hey Joey 3-d:

Where would you recommend I get one from? It will definitely be fun to try it! I'm in. Bill
Old 04-13-2018, 10:50 PM   #16
Blu-ray Samurai

Oct 2015
Bronx, NY

Quote:
Hey Joey 3-d:

Where would you recommend I get one from? It will definitely be fun to try it! I'm in. Bill
Hi wild bill

Glad I corralled ya.

http://www.darbeevision.com/products/dvp5000s

After you look up the sellers, read about it!
Old 04-13-2018, 10:58 PM   #17

Oct 2014

Quote:

Color and such are somewhat personal preferences. I run mine with burn in in mind, as these are irreplaceable TV's. And I place a higher value on longevity than I do on having the absolute best picture possible. But I do run 3D...at what I consider to be somewhat punishing levels. My settings are by no means ideal...a compromise if you will, between pretty and lifespan. Still, looks realistic to my eyes.

Good for 3D only...

Picture mode - standard

Olight 45

contrast 78

brightness 52

Sharpness 50

color 44

tint 0

color temp 0

dynamic contrast off

dynamic color off

preferred color 0 0 0

color gamut normal

Super resolution high

gamma medium

noise reduction off

mpeg NR off

black level low

real cinema (blacked out)

motion eye care off

trumotion: user--- de jutter 0--- de blur 10

Last edited by Kenbar; 04-14-2018 at 05:26 PM.
Old 04-14-2018, 07:24 AM   #18
Expert Member

Oct 2017
Beach in North Carolina
Default Thank you!

Thank you so much Kenbar! I will give this a try tomorrow night. These settings could be invaluable. And I agree. I am going to baby my lg oleds. The 3d is just unreal! I think we could still be watching 3d 15 years from now if we do it right.
Thanks given by:
Joe D. (04-14-2018), Kenbar (10-06-2018)
Old 04-14-2018, 05:18 PM   #19

Oct 2014

Quote:
Thank you so much Kenbar! I will give this a try tomorrow night. These settings could be invaluable. And I agree. I am going to baby my lg oleds. The 3d is just unreal! I think we could still be watching 3d 15 years from now if we do it right.
OMG! You got a 3D 77". What a lucky dog! Rarest and best Oled ever made. Worth more used, than you paid for it brand new...yea, I would definitely take good care of that baby. Hope you are running it thru a line filter/power conditioner for extra protection. Way to valuable not to...

Last edited by Kenbar; 04-14-2018 at 07:19 PM.
Thanks given by:
wildbill722 (04-24-2018)
Old 04-14-2018, 06:12 PM   #20
Blu-ray Samurai

Oct 2015
Bronx, NY

Quote:
OMG! You got a 3D 77". What a lucky dog! Rarest and best Oled ever made. Worth more used, than you paid for it brand new...yea, I would definitely take good care of that baby. Hope you are running it thru a line filter/power conditioner for extra protection. Way to valuable to not to...

Hi kenbar,

Only the best for our Wild Bill.
Thanks given by:
Kenbar (04-14-2018)
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > 3D > 3D Hardware and Technology > 3D TVs and 3D projectors