Best 3D Blu-ray Deals

Amazon Prime Day is Now Live »
Prime: The Mummy Ultimate Trilogy 4K … $24.99 (92% claimed)
Prime: Rick and Morty: Season 2 $12.19 (2 hours left)
Prime: First Man $9.99 (7 hours left)
Prime: Outlander: Season Three $23.99 (53 mins left)
Prime: The Girl in the Spider's Web $12.43 (10% claimed)
Prime: Miss Kobayashi's Dragon Maid: … ()
Prime: Hunter × Hunter: Volume 5 ()

Top deals | New deals  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Australia Japan
Alita: Battle Angel 4K + 3D (Blu-ray)
$29.96
 
Pokémon: Detective Pikachu 3D (Blu-ray)
$29.99
18 hrs ago
The Stewardesses 3D (Blu-ray)
$17.99
 
The Meg 3D (Blu-ray)
$24.99
 
Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles: Out of the Shadows 3D (Blu-ray)
$12.97
17 hrs ago
Blade Runner 2049 3D (Blu-ray)
$19.99
 
The Amityville Horror Trilogy (Blu-ray)
$29.99
 
Thor: The Dark World 3D (Blu-ray)
$20.14
 
The Good Dinosaur 3D (Blu-ray)
$19.04
 
Dolphin Tale 3D (Blu-ray)
$16.61
 
Men in Black 3 3D (Blu-ray)
$9.45
 
The Secret Life of Pets 3D (Blu-ray)
$14.12
 
What's your next favorite movie?
Join our movie community to find out


Image from: Life of Pi (2012)

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > 3D > 3D Hardware and Technology > 3D TVs and 3D projectors


Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-18-2018, 02:40 PM   #1
wildbill722 wildbill722 is offline
Expert Member
 
wildbill722's Avatar
 
Oct 2017
Beach in North Carolina
Arrow LG 3D OLED owners thread

What LG OLED do you have and what thoughts do you have about it-likes and dislikes, especially as to 3D?

And thought it might be interesting to have a thread devoted to LG OLED owners, to deal with settings and in general talk about these wonderful televisions as to their 3d powers. Here are some threads devoted just to LG OLED 3d television viewing:

Calibration of these tvs for optimum effect:

Sharpness, Super High resolution:

https://forum.blu-ray.com/showthread.php?t=304561

post 8 from Paul H notes sharpness increase for 2016 model works not so with 2015 or earlier models

Depth and other settings:

https://forum.blu-ray.com/showthread.php?t=282683

post 25 and 57 for depth settings for 2015 and earlier LG OLEDs;

https://forum.blu-ray.com/showthread...=300349&page=3

confirmation by Paul H that depth settings should be changed for 2016 models as well:

post 52 of this thread

And newest settings from Paul H showing "deeper" 3d; see posts 46 and 47 of this thread you are now reading on page 3! UPDATED JULY 2018

General "best settings" for LG OLED:

post 76(2015 settings; oled light higher), 77 and 105(2016 models, less oled light needed), page 4 and 6 respectively(although see sharpness settings above for 2016 LG OLEDs) Posts found in first depth thread above

Issues with de-blur and de-judder settings:

post 111 and 112 Posts found in first depth thread above


settings to use for 3d with 2016 LG OLED and Oppo 203 together:

https://forum.blu-ray.com/showthread...03+3d+settings

in particular post 18


Model numbers and years sold:

https://forum.blu-ray.com/showthread.php?t=304449

General Threads:

Discussion on 65 g6p

https://forum.blu-ray.com/showthread.php?t=296941

Discussion of 65 e6p non 3d mostly:

https://forum.blu-ray.com/showthread...hlight=lg+oled

Differences of LG OLED vs. other televisions:

https://forum.blu-ray.com/showthread.php?t=287377

Funniest oled tv thread:

https://forum.blu-ray.com/showthread...ght=3d+lg+oled

134 pages of lg owners talking about oled tvs! Good luck! STARTED BY OUR VERY OWN ROCKY III !!!

https://forum.blu-ray.com/showthread...hlight=lg+oled

694 pages of discussions on anything imaginable relating to lg oled tvs including many pathologies

http://www.avsforum.com/forum/40-ole...rs-thread.html

Oled threads on AVS forum:

http://www.avsforum.com/forum/40-ole...anels-general/

AND FOR YOU MR. 13TH!!:
PLASMA V. OLED:

http://www.avsforum.com/forum/167-pl...than-oled.html


In other words any and everything about LG OLED tvs especially as to 3d viewing!

Last edited by wildbill722; 07-18-2018 at 12:23 AM.
  Reply With Quote
Thanks given by:
EVERRET (04-29-2018), TheScottyLee (04-26-2018)
Old 04-25-2018, 08:35 PM   #2
the13thman the13thman is offline
Moderator
 
the13thman's Avatar
 
Feb 2015
London, England
7
1941
35
2
1
Default

As an LG OLED owner, I actually prefer to watch 3D movies on my Panasonic plasma, it's bigger.

Having said that, this is a useful index. There are three pages of threads relating to LG 3D TVs, which doesn't help anyone searching, so if you're going through them, feel free to flag any that need merging (because there are bound to be some) and I'll tidy them up.
  Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2018, 04:44 PM   #3
ryanmcv ryanmcv is online now
Blu-ray Guru
 
ryanmcv's Avatar
 
Jan 2013
Phoenix, AZ
154
429
756
102
Default

I have an LG OLED55C6P in my living room; and a 1080p LG OLED (55EC9300) in my bedroom. I love them both, but obviously 3D is superior on the C6 due to the increased resolution, brightness, and colors.

My only regret is not buying the larger 65" C6 or E6. LG forced my hand last year after they dropped 3D from the 2017 models. I had just spent almost $3,000 on the 55EC9300 in early 2015, so I was not budgeting for another TV purchase so soon. But I was not about to miss out on owning a 4K 3D OLED, so I compromised and went with the 55" C6 just two years after purchasing the EC9300. I only sit about 8 feet from the screen, so it's not too bad. But I know 65" would have been much more immersive.

Anyways, I absolutely love the 3D performance of the C6. 90% of the time, the 3D on my C6 is better than my local AMC theater. My only complaint would be the motion artifacts that are often visible during camera panning and action scenes.

I also wish that the 3D viewing angle wasn't so narrow. The TV is placed at eye-level with my couch, which is the sweet-spot. But as soon as you deviate too far up or down from eye-level, crosstalk rears its ugly head. It's really only a problem when I have multiple guests over and someone has to sit on the floor. So, very minor complaint overall.
  Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2018, 05:11 PM   #4
wildbill722 wildbill722 is offline
Expert Member
 
wildbill722's Avatar
 
Oct 2017
Beach in North Carolina
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by the13thman View Post
As an LG OLED owner, I actually prefer to watch 3D movies on my Panasonic plasma, it's bigger.

Having said that, this is a useful index. There are three pages of threads relating to LG 3D TVs, which doesn't help anyone searching, so if you're going through them, feel free to flag any that need merging (because there are bound to be some) and I'll tidy them up.
Good evening to you Mr. 13th:

I went through the threads I could find and added them to my list above. I wasn't sure if that was what you meant, but if it was related to lg oled 3d tvs and was of sufficient length and/or touched on what I(tried to be objective) considered helpful and/or fun I listed. The 2017 lg owner asking why his 3d tv didn't have 3d features was too funny to pass up. I hope he doesn't mind. Nobody laughs at me more than me. Thank goodness most of it is not in public!
  Reply With Quote
Thanks given by:
the13thman (04-26-2018)
Old 04-26-2018, 05:53 PM   #5
the13thman the13thman is offline
Moderator
 
the13thman's Avatar
 
Feb 2015
London, England
7
1941
35
2
1
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryanmcv View Post
I have an LG OLED55C6P in my living room; and a 1080p LG OLED (55EC9300) in my bedroom. I love them both, but obviously 3D is superior on the C6 due to the increased resolution, brightness, and colors.

My only regret is not buying the larger 65" C6 or E6. LG forced my hand last year after they dropped 3D from the 2017 models. I had just spent almost $3,000 on the 55EC9300 in early 2015, so I was not budgeting for another TV purchase so soon. But I was not about to miss out on owning a 4K 3D OLED, so I compromised and went with the 55" C6 just two years after purchasing the EC9300. I only sit about 8 feet from the screen, so it's not too bad. But I know 65" would have been much more immersive.

Anyways, I absolutely love the 3D performance of the C6. 90% of the time, the 3D on my C6 is better than my local AMC theater. My only complaint would be the motion artifacts that are often visible during camera panning and action scenes.

I also wish that the 3D viewing angle wasn't so narrow. The TV is placed at eye-level with my couch, which is the sweet-spot. But as soon as you deviate too far up or down from eye-level, crosstalk rears its ugly head. It's really only a problem when I have multiple guests over and someone has to sit on the floor. So, very minor complaint overall.
I also regret going for the 55" E6 instead of the 65", and I regret not buying two.


Quote:
Originally Posted by wildbill722 View Post
Good evening to you Mr. 13th:

I went through the threads I could find and added them to my list above. I wasn't sure if that was what you meant, but if it was related to lg oled 3d tvs and was of sufficient length and/or touched on what I(tried to be objective) considered helpful and/or fun I listed. The 2017 lg owner asking why his 3d tv didn't have 3d features was too funny to pass up. I hope he doesn't mind. Nobody laughs at me more than me. Thank goodness most of it is not in public!
I meant if there are two or more threads that are about the same thing, let me know which ones they are and I can merge them into one. But updating your index was still useful.
  Reply With Quote
Thanks given by:
wildbill722 (06-30-2018)
Old 04-27-2018, 04:12 PM   #6
davidbe davidbe is offline
Active Member
 
Apr 2013
Arizona, USA
1
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by the13thman View Post
I also regret going for the 55" E6 instead of the 65", and I regret not buying two.
That's exactly what I did -- buy two 65E6s, and I certainly have no regrets about that. I just regret not being able to afford a 77G6 (or better yet two of them).
  Reply With Quote
Thanks given by:
TheScottyLee (07-03-2018), wildbill722 (04-28-2018)
Old 04-27-2018, 05:49 PM   #7
ryanmcv ryanmcv is online now
Blu-ray Guru
 
ryanmcv's Avatar
 
Jan 2013
Phoenix, AZ
154
429
756
102
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidbe View Post
That's exactly what I did -- buy two 65E6s, and I certainly have no regrets about that. I just regret not being able to afford a 77G6 (or better yet two of them).
Well, if you ever want to sell one, let me know. You're likely not far from me.
  Reply With Quote
Thanks given by:
TheScottyLee (07-03-2018), wildbill722 (06-30-2018)
Old 04-27-2018, 05:54 PM   #8
Retired Flyer Retired Flyer is offline
Active Member
 
Jul 2017
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidbe View Post
That's exactly what I did -- buy two 65E6s, and I certainly have no regrets about that. I just regret not being able to afford a 77G6 (or better yet two of them).
I recently received a customer service phone call from LG concerning my satisfaction with my two 2016 OLED purchases. During the conversation I mentioned that I was unhappy that LG had dropped 3d from their new OLEDs and he responded that he had heard a lot of people say this.
  Reply With Quote
Thanks given by:
EVERRET (04-29-2018), kurosawa (04-27-2018), MaxPower111 (04-28-2018), wildbill722 (04-28-2018)
Old 04-27-2018, 05:58 PM   #9
kurosawa kurosawa is online now
Expert Member
 
kurosawa's Avatar
 
Feb 2010
Lombard, Illinois
19
1426
1632
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Retired Flyer View Post
I recently received a customer service phone call from LG concerning my satisfaction with my two 2016 OLED purchases. During the conversation I mentioned that I was unhappy that LG had dropped 3d from their new OLEDs and he responded that he had heard a lot of people say this.
Who knows, maybe a few sparks like this can start the fire.
  Reply With Quote
Thanks given by:
Frank@Chicago (04-29-2018), TheScottyLee (07-03-2018)
Old 04-28-2018, 06:29 PM   #10
phildearly phildearly is offline
Member
 
phildearly's Avatar
 
Jun 2009
USA
345
265
Default

Hey all. Just got my LG 65OLED B7A (2017 model) last week and absolutely love it! One strange thing, though, is that GAME picture mode looks way, way better than all other picture modes to my eyes. I don't even game that much, but the GAME picture mode is stunning for UHD movies (HDR), Netflix streaming, etc. I've tried playing with the settings for other picture modes, but none come close to GAME (user) picture mode. Does this seem strange to anyone else?
Firmware is up to date.

Last edited by phildearly; 04-28-2018 at 07:04 PM.
  Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2018, 11:35 PM   #11
ryanmcv ryanmcv is online now
Blu-ray Guru
 
ryanmcv's Avatar
 
Jan 2013
Phoenix, AZ
154
429
756
102
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by phildearly View Post
Hey all. Just got my LG 65OLED B7A (2017 model) last week and absolutely love it! One strange thing, though, is that GAME picture mode looks way, way better than all other picture modes to my eyes. I don't even game that much, but the GAME picture mode is stunning for UHD movies (HDR), Netflix streaming, etc. I've tried playing with the settings for other picture modes, but none come close to GAME (user) picture mode. Does this seem strange to anyone else?
Firmware is up to date.
Your question would likely be better suited for this thread:

https://forum.blu-ray.com/showthread.php?t=278860

This particular forum is for 3D TVs, which your B7 OLED does not support.
  Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2018, 10:36 PM   #12
revgen revgen is offline
Special Member
 
revgen's Avatar
 
Oct 2013
Southern California, USA
14
Default

When watching Miss Sadie Thompson 3-D on my E6, I change the Brightness from default 50 to 43 and Color Saturation from default 50 to 65. The film was mastered too bright and colors are a bit more drab than they should be for a technicolor production.
  Reply With Quote
Thanks given by:
RockyIII (09-12-2018), wildbill722 (05-03-2018)
Old 06-28-2018, 12:15 AM   #13
Paul H Paul H is offline
Blu-ray Samurai
 
Paul H's Avatar
 
Jul 2007
2
Default

Here is an effective 3D tweak I tried with Black Panther 3D which should work for those who own an LG 3D OLED and I also use an Oppo 203, but I don't know if that will make a difference.

There is a great scene full of ledges, around the 00:21:36 time code:
[Show spoiler]00-21-36 copy.jpg


Look at the scene in 3D with your current OLED 3D settings.

Then look at it again after changing the Depth and Viewpoint values maxed-out to 20 & -10 (you have to use manual mode to set these values):

And then this is very important: Re-set 3D mode back to auto again before you exit picture-settings for this to take effect and work right.

Exit Picture settings after setting it back to Auto:



It looks real-world to me where people are actually on individual 3D levels.

After trying this, tell me what you think?
  Reply With Quote
Thanks given by:
EVERRET (07-01-2018)
Old 06-28-2018, 03:16 AM   #14
evoll evoll is online now
Blu-ray Guru
 
evoll's Avatar
 
Nov 2009
383
2403
9
18
87
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul H View Post
Here is an effective 3D tweak I tried with Black Panther 3D which should work for those who own an LG 3D OLED and I also use an Oppo 203, but I don't know if that will make a difference.

There is a great scene full of ledges, around the 00:21:36 time code:
[Show spoiler]Attachment 203154


Look at the scene in 3D with your current OLED 3D settings.

Then look at it again after changing the Depth and Viewpoint values maxed-out to 20 & -10 (you have to use manual mode to set these values):
[Show spoiler]Attachment 203155


And then this is very important: Re-set 3D mode back to auto again before you exit picture-settings for this to take effect and work right.

Exit Picture settings after setting it back to Auto:
[Show spoiler]Attachment 203156




It looks real-world to me where people are actually on individual 3D levels.

After trying this, tell me what you think?
Cool, I will try these settings this weekend when I watch it. Do you use these settings for other 3d movies or just this movie?
  Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2018, 03:52 AM   #15
Paul H Paul H is offline
Blu-ray Samurai
 
Paul H's Avatar
 
Jul 2007
2
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by evoll View Post
Cool, I will try these settings this weekend when I watch it. Do you use these settings for other 3d movies or just this movie?
Only used this on Black Panther 3D today which got my positive reaction and then I only had time to test it using the "3D montage" section on Spears and Munsil's HD Benchmark calibration disc, also with great visual results!
  Reply With Quote
Thanks given by:
wildbill722 (06-30-2018)
Old 06-28-2018, 04:09 AM   #16
evoll evoll is online now
Blu-ray Guru
 
evoll's Avatar
 
Nov 2009
383
2403
9
18
87
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul H View Post
Only used this on Black Panther 3D today which got my positive reaction and then I only had time to test it using the "3D montage" section on Spears and Munsil's HD Benchmark calibration disc, also with great visual results!
Ok thanks Paul, I will try these out on some other 3d movies to see how they look.
  Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2018, 02:30 PM   #17
Paul H Paul H is offline
Blu-ray Samurai
 
Paul H's Avatar
 
Jul 2007
2
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by evoll View Post
Ok thanks Paul, I will try these out on some other 3d movies to see how they look.
Thanks for trying this!

I need the eyes of the enthusiast to verify that this is either a placebo affect or what I hope is happening when 3D mode is set back to Auto and Depth and Viewpoint go back to default convergence and separation levels, is that the Z-plane parameter settings keep the processor parameters fully open which allows the development of the available digital 3D image information, allowing the real-world view I'm getting in Black Panther 3D from the digital information in a fully-processed-degree provided by the source.

Fingers crossed!


Keep in mind that a source will have to have the z-plane information available for total processing of the 3D image. This will not be a magical creation of stronger 3D for films where the image z-plane digital information is not originally present.

Last edited by Paul H; 06-28-2018 at 02:47 PM.
  Reply With Quote
Thanks given by:
wildbill722 (06-30-2018)
Old 06-28-2018, 11:54 PM   #18
Paul H Paul H is offline
Blu-ray Samurai
 
Paul H's Avatar
 
Jul 2007
2
Default

Wish I maxed-out Depth and Viewpoint values for 3D Auto mode years a ago.

What I believe is happening that's different from Depth @ 20, Viewpoint @ -5 values when in 3D Auto mode, is that -10 doubles the percieved distance and gives the eyes a stronger negative-plane visual reference point for the minds-eye comparison, which has a positive dynamic distance affect for the perceived 3D image architecture.

So far I have watched Ant-Man 3D and parts of Toy Story, Nightmare Before Christmas, and Box Trolls that all have given me a better dynamic recognition of 3D presence. Very positive results so far.

I'm trying to figure out how two images having 3D layers that have positions on the digital z-plane graphs coordinates, can have the plot-points moved variably as long as they are in a straight line, as the processor creates stronger degrees of layers Z-axis-distance. This is how I believe the Hubble telescope can make a 2D captured image of the universe into 3D, where the computer applies the actual distance values found in analyzing the spectrum of light , into the z-axes values for each lighted object, whether it would be a star, planet or solar system or layer.....

Last edited by Paul H; 06-29-2018 at 01:37 AM.
  Reply With Quote
Thanks given by:
EVERRET (07-01-2018), wildbill722 (06-30-2018)
Old 06-29-2018, 02:29 PM   #19
Retired Flyer Retired Flyer is offline
Active Member
 
Jul 2017
Default

Did the tweak on a 77 & 65 OLEDs and it's a dramatic difference. Thanks Paul H
  Reply With Quote
Thanks given by:
EVERRET (07-01-2018), evoll (06-30-2018), Paul H (06-29-2018), wildbill722 (06-30-2018)
Old 06-30-2018, 01:39 AM   #20
evoll evoll is online now
Blu-ray Guru
 
evoll's Avatar
 
Nov 2009
383
2403
9
18
87
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Retired Flyer View Post
Did the tweak on a 77 & 65 OLEDs and it's a dramatic difference. Thanks Paul H
Did the tweak as well and like it so far.
  Reply With Quote
Thanks given by:
Paul H (06-30-2018), wildbill722 (06-30-2018)
Reply
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > 3D > 3D Hardware and Technology > 3D TVs and 3D projectors


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 10:26 PM.