Best 3D Blu-ray Deals

Amazon Prime Day is Now Live »
Prime: George Carlin Commemorative Co… $36.49 (91% claimed)
Prime: The Marx Brothers Silver Scree… $14.99 (74% claimed)
Prime: Apollo 11 $12.99 (71% claimed)
Prime: Alfred Hitchcock: The Ultimate… $49.99 (53% claimed)
Prime: Halloween $9.99 (45% claimed)
Prime: Blue Planet II 4K $22.89 (2 hours left)
Prime: Back to the Future: 30th Anniv… $14.99 (4 hours left)
Prime: The Bourne Ultimate Collection… $19.99 (8 hours left)
Prime: Jurassic World: 5-Movie Collec… $26.99 (6 hours left)
Prime: Spice & Wolf: Anime Classics C… $24.59 (4 hours left)
Prime: Shin Godzilla $14.39 (3 hours left)
Prime: The Fifth Element 4K (20th Ann… $15.99 (25% claimed)
Prime: Jurassic Park Collection 4K (2… $29.99 (5 hours left)
Prime: Serenity 4K $11.99 (5 hours left)
Prime: Fighting with My Family (Direc… $12.99 (7 hours left)
Prime: Jurassic Park Collection 3D $19.99 (15% claimed)

Top deals | New deals  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Australia Japan
Aquaman 3D (Blu-ray)
$34.95
2 hrs ago
Alita: Battle Angel 4K + 3D (Blu-ray)
$29.96

Pokémon: Detective Pikachu 3D (Blu-ray)
$29.99

The Stewardesses 3D (Blu-ray)
$17.99

Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles: Out of the Shadows 3D (Blu-ray)
$12.95

Blade Runner 2049 3D (Blu-ray)
$19.99

The Amityville Horror Trilogy (Blu-ray)
$29.99

The Good Dinosaur 3D (Blu-ray)
$19.04

Men in Black 3 3D (Blu-ray)
$9.45

Dolphin Tale 3D (Blu-ray)
$16.61

Thor: The Dark World 3D (Blu-ray)
$20.14

The Secret Life of Pets 3D (Blu-ray)
$14.12

What's your next favorite movie?
Join our movie community to find out

Image from: Life of Pi (2012)

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > 3D > 3D Hardware and Technology > 3D TVs and 3D projectors

Old 07-30-2018, 01:18 AM   #1
Blu-ray Guru

Jun 2014
Murder Capital, USA home of the Stanley Cup!
Default Optoma UHD51A 4K/3D

Any thoughts on this projector? It comes in under $2k but I understand the 4k part is achieved with trickery. Still, most say it is HDR that makes the difference. Anybody have one that can comment?
Old 07-30-2018, 03:36 PM   #2

May 2017
Florida, USA

http://www.passionhomecinema.fr/blog...lavis-de-greg/ check AVS forum for more info. visualapex.com $1,689.
Old 07-30-2018, 08:21 PM   #3

Oct 2014

I have not seen the Optoma UHD51A, but really wish Optoma would retain the 3-D VESA port on the back of their 4K 3D projectors so one could have the choice of using superior RF 3-D glasses instead. With no VESA port, the only 3-D glasses option is DLP-Link.
Old 07-31-2018, 10:59 AM   #4
Blu-ray Guru

Jun 2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by GKintz View Post
I have not seen the Optoma UHD51A, but really wish Optoma would retain the 3-D VESA port on the back of their 4K 3D projectors so one could have the choice of using superior RF 3-D glasses instead. With no VESA port, the only 3-D glasses option is DLP-Link.
Are the DLP-link that bad? What I've read so far seems minor on that issue but yes, I believe that is the only option on this projector. Of course it means absolutely having to purchase new glasses since the 8 that I already have are of the other variety.
Old 07-31-2018, 06:25 PM   #5
Special Member

Mar 2010

tps://m.youtube.com/watch?v=rTN55XsTl7g

Also, you should look at the BenQ 2550 and the brighter 800 Save a couple hundred bucks.
Old 07-31-2018, 08:36 PM   #6

Oct 2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by Damon1281 View Post
Are the DLP-link that bad? What I've read so far seems minor on that issue but yes, I believe that is the only option on this projector. Of course it means absolutely having to purchase new glasses since the 8 that I already have are of the other variety.

I've used both types for long periods of time, and while DLP-Link is not what I would call bad by any means, it can suffer from occasionally losing sync if briefly looking away and on rare occasions when the on screen color is close the DLP Link sync flash color, things can get wonky. Meanwhile, RF glasses are always rock steady.

Another plus with RF glasses is there is no on-screen DLP-Link flash washing out the screen. When wearing the link glasses, it is of course removed, but for those hybrid movies (Spy Kids 3-D, Tron Legacy, The Mask, to name a few) where large sections are in 2-D, you really have no choice but to wear the glasses throughout. With RF, there's no DLP sync flash present, so the option to watching w/o glasses for 2-D sections is possible.

So DLP-Link glasses: Very good
RF glasses: Really the ideal way to go

A vesa sync port is not an expensive item for them to include, and Optoma still does so on a good number of their 1080p 3-D projectors. So while I'm VERY glad Optoma has included 3-D in some of their latest 4K models, I still hope they consider including the sync port in future 4K models.
Old 07-31-2018, 09:38 PM   #7

Nov 2009
USA

I started out with a DLP projector, and the DLP Link glasses always worked perfectly, never losing sync when looking away. I even tested walking out of the room for a few seconds, and they were still in sync.

I still have three pair, abandoned somewhere in the closet :O
Old 08-01-2018, 01:36 PM   #8
Blu-ray Guru

Jun 2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by GKintz View Post
I've used both types for long periods of time, and while DLP-Link is not what I would call bad by any means, it can suffer from occasionally losing sync if briefly looking away and on rare occasions when the on screen color is close the DLP Link sync flash color, things can get wonky. Meanwhile, RF glasses are always rock steady.

Another plus with RF glasses is there is no on-screen DLP-Link flash washing out the screen. When wearing the link glasses, it is of course removed, but for those hybrid movies (Spy Kids 3-D, Tron Legacy, The Mask, to name a few) where large sections are in 2-D, you really have no choice but to wear the glasses throughout. With RF, there's no DLP sync flash present, so the option to watching w/o glasses for 2-D sections is possible.

So DLP-Link glasses: Very good
RF glasses: Really the ideal way to go

A vesa sync port is not an expensive item for them to include, and Optoma still does so on a good number of their 1080p 3-D projectors. So while I'm VERY glad Optoma has included 3-D in some of their latest 4K models, I still hope they consider including the sync port in future 4K models.
Thanks for the info, I was concerned that they might be less effective. I have rf glasses that turn off if they aren't pointed toward the screen for awhile, but I didn't consider specific movies. I don't think there are too many like that, though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaxPower111 View Post
I started out with a DLP projector, and the DLP Link glasses always worked perfectly, never losing sync when looking away. I even tested walking out of the room for a few seconds, and they were still in sync.
Did you give up on projectors entirely, or just DLP? So far, it's not sounding like a deal killer.
Old 08-01-2018, 03:24 PM   #9

Nov 2009
USA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Damon1281 View Post
Did you give up on projectors entirely, or just DLP? So far, it's not sounding like a deal killer.
I think DLP is great, I wholeheartedly recommend it. But I had the opportunity to get the OLED TV, so I jumped on that. My bank account still hasn't forgiven me
Old 08-22-2018, 06:12 PM   #10

Oct 2009
GA

I'm thinking of getting this projector... anyone have one and can comment on the 3D?
Old 10-24-2018, 01:39 AM   #11
Blu-ray Guru

Jun 2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckyllr View Post
I'm thinking of getting this projector... anyone have one and can comment on the 3D?
Well I had one for about an hour and a half. I just received it yesterday afternoon and sent it back after two frustrating hours trying to get it to work. It wouldn't recognize any input on the hdmi inputs. Since an alarming percentage on Amazon have returned this projector, I've crossed Optoma off my list of considerations.
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > 3D > 3D Hardware and Technology > 3D TVs and 3D projectors