Best Blu-ray Movie Deals

Best Blu-ray Movie Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | New deals  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Australia Netherlands Japan Mexico
John Wick: Chapter 4 4K (Blu-ray)
$24.96
1 day ago
The Night of the Hunter 4K (Blu-ray)
$24.49
1 day ago
Stone Cold (Blu-ray)
$17.99
18 hrs ago
From Hollywood to Heaven: The Lost and Saved Films of the Ormond Family (Blu-ray)
$59.99
18 hrs ago
John Wick: Chapter 4 (Blu-ray)
$19.96
17 hrs ago
The Longest Yard 4K (Blu-ray)
$27.99
1 day ago
Mexico Macabre: Four Sinister Tales from the Alameda Films Vault, 1959-1963 (Blu-ray)
$49.99

Film Noir: The Dark Side of Cinema XIV (Blu-ray)
$30.49
22 hrs ago
Star Trek: The Next Generation Motion Picture Collection 4K (Blu-ray)
$77.99

Danza Macabra Vol. One: The Italian Gothic Collection (Blu-ray)
$66.99

Shrek: 4-Movie Collection (Blu-ray)
$14.44
2 hrs ago
Scream VI 4K (Blu-ray)
$34.96
1 day ago
What's your next favorite movie?
Join our movie community to find out

Image from: Life of Pi (2012)

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Blu-ray Movies - North America

Old 02-08-2023, 09:33 PM   #61
Blu-ray Champion

Jan 2011
Los Angeles, CA

Quote:
Originally Posted by AaronWilson View Post
maybe even extended episodes too.
Craig Mazin said the director's cut of the 75-minute Ep 3 was 2 hours long, it would be amazing to get that, but they probably never finished the effects for the long version, so I'm not holding my breath.
Thanks given by:
emailking (02-09-2023)
Old 02-09-2023, 11:02 PM   #62
Blu-ray Ninja

Aug 2015

Quote:
Originally Posted by jedilips View Post
please don't
They opened the TV thread so I'll go back to reposting there. I'll just link it here.

https://forum.blu-ray.com/showthread...9#post20874699
Old 02-09-2023, 11:12 PM   #63
Blu-ray Champion

Aug 2015
Norwich

Quote:
Originally Posted by RevolverOcelScott View Post
I'll go one step further. Max Richter is the composer of that song and everyone should check out more of his stuff as it's phenomenal. He did the soundtrack to the show The Leftovers as well, which was another triumph.
Richter has been involved with a lot of soundtracks, such as Waltz with Bashir, The Lunchbox, Ad Astra, Eleven Days in May, and of course Max Richter’s Sleep.
Thanks given by:
emailking (02-09-2023)
Old 02-09-2023, 11:27 PM   #64
Blu-ray Champion

Jan 2011
Los Angeles, CA

It looks like the talk of an original "two-hour version" of "Long, Long Time" might have been exaggerated.

Peter Hoar said in another interview that:

Quote:
"I think my first cut was 77 minutes and I think at the moment it's 75," he says. "Seventy-two was what I handed in 'cause I felt guilty, and then Craig was like, 'No, let's put all that stuff back. It's so good.' Kudos to HBO because a lot of networks wouldn't have done that. I really don't think we would be here having this conversation if that had happened. If it had to be a 59-minute episode, I think everyone would've gone, 'That didn't quite work.'"
https://ew.com/tv/the-last-of-us-bil...ng-love-story/

Sounds like there's no extra hour of deleted scenes, just a couple of minutes. Unless there are scenes Hoar cut before even the first assembly.
Thanks given by:
BluZone (03-14-2023), emailking (02-16-2023)
Old 02-28-2023, 02:56 AM   #66
Blu-ray Champion

Jan 2011
Los Angeles, CA

Score album was released digitally last night:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0BWCM5SPG/

66 tracks, 1hr 57 mins long
Thanks given by:
drb999 (02-28-2023), Dsneybuf (02-28-2023), emailking (03-02-2023)
Old 03-11-2023, 02:10 PM   #67
Blu-ray Duke

Oct 2010
The Netherlands

Thanks given by:
AaronWilson (03-14-2023), BluZone (03-11-2023), Comicfan (03-14-2023), drb999 (03-11-2023), drush9999 (03-14-2023), eightslicesofpie (03-11-2023), HipsterTrash (03-11-2023), jvonl (03-13-2023), TwinCitiesBluFan (03-12-2023), Tylerfan (03-14-2023), Veronica Mars (03-17-2023)
Old 03-11-2023, 02:34 PM   #68
Blu-ray Prince

Jul 2013

I can’t wait to own this show.
Old 03-13-2023, 01:15 PM   #69
Blu-ray Samurai

Feb 2015
Austin, TX

I will get this
Old 03-14-2023, 04:04 AM   #70
Special Member

Aug 2016

Man,I would love to get the steelbook but I think it will only have 4K disks.No Blu Rays.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Last-Us-Sea...=UTF8&qid=&sr=

Old 03-14-2023, 06:38 PM   #71
Blu-ray Duke

Oct 2010
The Netherlands

Quote:
Millions of viewers know now why loyal gamers have been clamoring for a worthy adaptation of The Last of Us. Based on the famed video game of the same name, the HBO original drama series marked HBO’s second largest debut, behind only “House of the Dragon,” and has shown consistent growth throughout its first season culminating in a 75% increase in Sunday night’s finale audience. Recently renewed for a second season, fans can own all nine episodes of the critically-acclaimed first season along with nearly 3 hours of special features including 3 all-new featurettes, when The Last of Us: The Complete First Season comes to 4K Ultra HD, Blu-ray and DVD on July 18, 2023 and will be available to purchase Digitally* on April 11, 2023. The Last of Us takes place 20 years after modern civilization has been destroyed. Joel, a hardened survivor, is hired to smuggle Ellie, a 14-year-old girl, out of an oppressive quarantine zone. What starts as a small job soon becomes a brutal and heartbreaking journey as they both must traverse the U.S. and depend on each other for survival.

THE HBO® ORIGINAL HIT SERIES

THE LAST OF US:
THE COMPLETE FIRST SEASON

AVAILABLE PURCHASE DIGITALLY ON APRIL 11, 2023

AND ON 4K ULTRA HDTM, BLU-RAYTM AND DVD JULY 18, 2023

#TheLastOfUS

Season one stars Pedro Pascal as Joel, Bella Ramsey as Ellie, Gabriel Luna as Tommy, Anna Torv as Tess, Nico Parker as Sarah, Murray Bartlett as Frank, Nick Offerman as Bill, Melanie Lynskey as Kathleen, Storm Reid as Riley, Merle Dandridge as Marlene, Jeffrey Pierce as Perry, Lamar Johnson as Henry, Keivonn Woodard as Sam, Graham Greene as Marlon, and Elaine Miles as Florence. Ashley Johnson and Troy Baker also star.

With a 96% critic score on Rotten Tomatoes, The Last of Us has been declared “HBO’s next big hit” by Rolling Stone, with Variety noting, “one sees the near future in which the show winds up among television’s best.” IndieWire declared the new series “better than every video game adaptation that comes to mind,” with IGN hailing it as “a brilliant retelling of one of video games’ most beloved stories” and adding that it “delivers an enriching show for fans of the PlayStation hit, while also managing to stay welcomingly thrilling to newcomers.” CNN called the storytelling “absolutely fearless and unflinching, creating horrifying scenarios and moments that can be alternately touching and utterly tragic.”

The Last of Us, based on the critically acclaimed video game of the same name developed by Naughty Dog for the PlayStation® platforms, is written and executive produced by Craig Mazin (Emmy® Award-winning creator of HBO’s “Chernobyl”) and Neil Druckmann (creator and writer of the award-winning “The Last of Us” franchise and Naughty Dog Co-President). The series is a co-production with Sony Pictures Television and is executive produced by Carolyn Strauss, Evan Wells, Asad Qizilbash, Carter Swan, and Rose Lam. Production companies: PlayStation Productions, Word Games, The Mighty Mint, and Naughty Dog.

The soundtrack to The Last of Us is available everywhere now, and features an original score by 2-time Academy Award winner Gustavo Santaolalla and David Fleming. Having scored both the original video game and its 2020 sequel, Gustavo Santaolalla builds on his previous work, expanding the intimate, guitar-driven soundscape to deliver a score as emotionally laden as the story itself. In addition to the score, the album also includes Nick Offerman‘s cover of Linda Ronstadt’s “Long Long Time” and Jessica Mazin‘s cover of Depeche Mode’s “Never Let Me Down Again.”

The Last of Us: The Complete First Season will be available to purchase Digitally* on April 11, 2023 from Amazon Prime Video, AppleTV, Google Play, Vudu and more. 4K Ultra HD, Blu-ray and DVD will be available July 18, 2023 to purchase online and in-store at major retailers.

*Digital Purchase is available now in Canada.

SPECIAL FEATURES ON DIGITAL INCLUDE:
  • The Last of Us: Stranger Than Fiction (New Featurette Exclusive to 4K, BD and DVD) – Series cast and filmmakers are joined by experts in survival, microbiology, and parasitology for a chilling discussion on the realities of the invasive fungus and subsequent apocalypse in The Last of Us.
  • Controllers Down: Adapting The Last of Us (New Featurette Exclusive to 4K, BD and DVD) – Follow the journey of The Last of Us from console to screen as cast and filmmakers take us inside the process of expanding the world and breathing new life into the game’s beloved characters.
  • From Levels to Live Action (New Featurette Exclusive to 4K, BD and DVD) – Discover how The Last of Us incorporated and expanded fan-favorite game moments in the series.
  • Getting to Know Me (4 Featurettes)
  • The Last Debrief with Troy Baker (2 Featurettes)
  • Inside the Episode (9 Featurettes)
  • Is This A The Last of Us Line? (2 Featurettes)
Series information:

The Last of Us: The Complete First Season

Includes 9 one-hour episodes:
  • When You’re Lost in the Darkness
  • Infected
  • Long, Long Time
  • Please Hold to My Hand
  • Endure and Survive
  • Kin
  • Left Behind
  • When We Are in Need
  • Look for the Light
Languages: English, French, and Spanish

Subtitles: English, French, and Spanish

Episode Run Time: approx. 474 minutes

There will be Dolby Atmos, not mention btw.

Last edited by Pieter V; 03-14-2023 at 06:48 PM.
Thanks given by:
AaronWilson (03-17-2023), Comicfan (03-14-2023), Dsneybuf (03-14-2023), eightslicesofpie (03-14-2023), jvonl (03-17-2023), WorkShed (03-17-2023)
Old 03-14-2023, 07:06 PM   #72
Blu-ray Prince

Aug 2012
California

Best show I've watched in awhile. Can't wait to own this.
Thanks given by:
DThompson (03-15-2023), Veronica Mars (03-14-2023)
Old 03-15-2023, 05:15 AM   #73
Special Member

Jan 2013

The aren't doing a digital copy anymore?
Thanks given by:
bfett9 (03-15-2023)
Old 03-16-2023, 11:11 PM   #74
Blu-ray Ninja

Aug 2015

If interested, links to my notes on all 9 episodes.

1. https://forum.blu-ray.com/showpost.p...&postcount=569
2. https://forum.blu-ray.com/showpost.p...&postcount=634
3. https://forum.blu-ray.com/showpost.p...&postcount=660
4. https://forum.blu-ray.com/showpost.p...&postcount=682
5. https://forum.blu-ray.com/showpost.p...&postcount=697
6. https://forum.blu-ray.com/showpost.p...&postcount=704
7. https://forum.blu-ray.com/showpost.p...&postcount=706
8. https://forum.blu-ray.com/showpost.p...&postcount=718
9. https://forum.blu-ray.com/showpost.p...&postcount=720

Here they are with interior spoiler tags removed so you don't have to keep expanding them. The spoilers concern only Season 1 & Part 1 game. There is no Part 2 discussion.

[Show spoiler]Episode 1 of the show is solid. I recommend it. I'm sure some people are waiting for them all to come out to binge watch.

Major changes from game:

The outbreak is in 2003 not 2013. So 20 years later is now present day.

Sarah is mixed race.

It is explained why Joel left the house after midnight (Tommy was in jail).

Sarah encounters an infected on her own, a neighbor, before Joel comes back. Newly infected already have visible fungi in their mouth.

Not a major change but the gas station explosion is replaced by a plane crash. It was pretty cool.

In present day, it is implied they may have developed some kind of anti fungal medicine that can stop a nascent infection from spreading. (Or it may have been a lethal injection, not clear.)

Joel is already trying to leave the zone to find Tommy, whom he thinks is hurt/missing, before encountering Marlene. The guns he & Tess were trying to get from Robert have been replaced by a car battery so he can get to Wyoming.

Ellie didn't previously know who Marlene was or that she was the reason she was in military school, this contradicts Left Behind.

It was already implied Ellie was infected so the "reveal" scene is considerably more low key.

More emphasis is given on Joel's lingering pain re: Sarah.

Many sections that served only as tutorials or to elicit gameplay are understandably condensed or eliminated entirely. More backgrounds scenes are given to flesh out all of the characters.

The highly emotional scene from Outbreak Day was very well done.

I was so glad they got the "Drugs, I sell hardcore drugs" line in there lol, I honestly wasn't expecting that to make it.

I think Bella Ramsey nailed Ellie so I don't care that she didn't play the game. Her take is the highlight so far. Performances by the actors for Joel, Tess, Marlene, and Tommy were also very good.

All looking great so far!

[Show spoiler]Episode 2 covers Joel & Ellie & Tess's trek through Boston along with a flashback to the site of the pandemic's origin in Indonesia.

Major changes from game:

The flooded hotel from Pittsburgh is now in Boston, while Tess is still with them. No hunters or flooded basement that Joel fights through. Maybe it's still coming though.

Infected can communicate through the mycelium network. This will apparently be a major factor in the series's plot. It is real in ground based fungi, but there is nothing like it in the game.

Ellie gets bit a second time, in service to convincing Tess & Joel that she is immune. In the game it is spores that finally convinces Joel.

The group is attacked by runners at the capital, not the military. Tess blows them up.

It was interesting that Tess & Joel are apparently terrified of clickers, which is not at all a vibe you get from the game. But I guess it makes sense.

Also, I'm getting the sense that the human enemy will play much less of a role in the series. But I'm sure will still get the lake resort so maybe it's coming but I don't know if we'll get hunters.

Not as much drama in Ep 2 but it was still good!

[Show spoiler]Episode 3 mainly focuses on the relationship of Bill & Frank, the latter we only hear about in the game, and also how they met Joel & Tess. It also shows Joel & Ellie's trek to Bill's town, whereas in the game we get their trek through the town.

Given how many episodes we have, I don't think we needed this long diversion into how Bill & Frank became lovers. But I guess Druckmann likes love stories.

Major changes from game.

A rather implausible explanation is given for the sudden acceleration of the pandemic on outbreak day, from a tainted food supply worldwide.

Joel is much friendlier to Ellie than he is at this point in the game. Doesn't even layout the rules until they leave Bill's town.

Ellie goes off on her own (something game Joel would not have allowed) and kills a stalker.

Angel Knives is replaced by Mortal Kombat.

It is explained how Bill ended up in his town alone. Everything around him was forcibly evacuated but he's a survivalist who hid in his bunker.

His town is a gated community. Not a shopping district surrounded by apartments. There are no infected in the town.

Joel has been to Bill's town before and knows who Frank is. In the game he had never been to the town and didn't know about Frank.

The game was praised by an LGBT group for portraying an ordinary person as gay without making a big thing about it. You had to read between the lines to even realize Bill was gay. But this episode is all about how the relationship with Frank originated and grew over the years.

Frank dies of assisted suicide as he's dying of cancer. In the game he hung himself after getting infected.

There is no fight or separation with Bill & Frank. They're together at the end.

Bill kills himself because he loses Frank!

Town is deserted when Joel & Ellie arrive. They don't have to fight to get the car battery, Bill already had it.

Ellie's never been in a car. I was hoping this show would explain how she knows how to pop a clutch.

This episode would probably be enjoyed more by people not familiar with the game. I was hoping the episode's of Bill's town would follow closer to the game. Ellie never even meets Bill, wow.

[Show spoiler]Episode 4 covers the first part of their trek to Wyoming and their sidetrack into a major city avoiding Hunters.

Major changes from the game:

The major events of Pittsburgh take place in Kansas City, which was not in the game.

Various conversations between Jole & Ellie from throughout the game are pulled into their drive from Boston to Kansas City. makes sense

An attempt is made to humanize the hunters, in particular one that begs for his life in a way much more convincing and heart breaking that the way you can get any human to beg in the game.

Ellie killing a hunter to save Joel happens immediately after the enter (Joel finishes him off). He doesn't get made at her. He is instead sympathetic to her. Ellie says it wasn't her first time killing someone. She won't elaborate and is clearly uneasy about it. In the game it was her first time.

Lost is the whole plot of of Ellie becoming distant and petulant and Joel winning her back over by giving her a rifle help him pick off Hunters. Instead he just gives her a gun after apologizing for putting her in that situation. I think these changes are due to time constraints, but again they are making Joel much friendlier towards Ellie which I think is going to cheapen his eventual change of heart towards her.

They kill the son of the leader of the group giving the hunters a reason to pursue them. In the game they're just mad more of them keep dying, and there's no command structure to the hunters that we see. Except they think that Henry is responsible. Henry is a major outlaw in the city and seems to have been based there. In the game he as passing through with his group.

Henry and Sam come across Ellie while they're sleeping and are holding them at gunpoint at the end. In the game they attack them accidentally and Joel almost kills Henry until Sam talks him down at gunpoint.

Joel and Ellie only have 1 fight with the Hunters so far, do not get separated, and Joel does not fight through a basement full of infected. Probably more time constraints and sequences better suited to a game than a show.

There is some kind of massive infected in the ground. Possibly this is how they bring a bloater into it. We haven't seen one yet.

I liked how Ellie's puns were brought into this episode. All of the jokes were from the game too. I thought it was well done, especially how they were spaced out and came at unexpected times. But I imagine the show is done with these now haha.

I liked this episode, but I do worry if there's enough time to get everything else in. Finish Pittsburgh/KC, the drama at Tommy's, the lake resort, and Salt Lake City is a lot to cover in 5 eps.

[Show spoiler]Episode 5 continues the events of KC/Pittsburgh.

In this episode I really liked these aspects that carried over:

They introduced the Savage Starlight comics!

I loved the way they recreated the sewers settlement! It was uncanny. Also the deserted town with the sniper.

I like how the Bloater can rip apart heads like in the game! It was very scary too, maybe scarier than the game.

Even though he's deaf, Sam & Ellie still manage to bond and have an existential discussion before he turns.

Major differences from game:

Sam is deaf and a much younger kid (8 vs 12).

Sam & Henry saw Joel & Ellie beforehand and found them. Not a chance encounter while Joel & Ellie were fleeing the tank.

The episode confirms what I guessed before, that Henry & Sam are from KC/Pitt, not passing through trying to find the Fireflies. Henry is the most wanted man by the resistance after betraying the leader.

They escape the city through underground tunnels (that they think have no/minimal infected) instead of making a break for it at night. The sewers are outside the city in the game.

The entire sequence whereby henry abandons Joel & Ellie, and later rescues them from drowning, and Joel almost kills him before Ellie talks him down, is lost, and nothing similar happens.

The sniper sequence in the suburbs still happens, but at night. The sniper is an old man and alerts the resistance to Joel & Henry's location.

We find out infected have been driven underground by the military. When the resistance come to collect Henry, who surrenders, an explosion unleashes a huge horde of infected. A bloater (the show's first) emerges with them and finishes off the resistance. Joel's sniping still allows the henry/Sam/Ellie to escape.

Sam shows Ellie he got bit! Ellie tries to transfuse her blood. She doesn't tell anyone! Tries to stay awake to watch him.

Even though I was pretty sure it was still coming and have seen it 15+ times in the game Henry killing Sam and then himself was an extremely tense scene that hit like a ton of bricks.

This was a really good episode. Also, I am less concerned about the timing to finish the game in the final episodes.

[Show spoiler]Episode 6 covers the events in Wyoming and a very accelerated set of events at the University.

In this episode I really liked these aspects:

More background scenes with Ellie and Joel as they near the damn.

Ellie elaborates on her love of space & astronauts. Conversations that weren't in the game.

We saw Ellie trying to whistle (happened earlier in the game).

They introduced the horse, Shimmer, a very minor character mentioned...later.

Ellie and Joel spend much more time with Tommy & Maria before breaking off. We learn more background and also see Ellie's conversation with Maria when she finds out about Sarah.

Ellie gets to watch a movie this time, The Goodbye Girl. They almost have the chance to watch a movie in the game.

Bella Ramsey is excelling as Ellie. I am the most impressed with that acting and her matching of Ellie from the game, since the first episode.

For the first time, the episode incorporated my favorite song from Last of Us, The Path, near the end. It is the end credits song in the game

They incorporated several conversations/scenes from the university
I like, Ellie asking how to play football, why did people go to college, Joel wanting to be a singer, and of course the monkeys. And also Ellie's line how in all that research, maybe the frieflies turned into ******* monkeys.

Major differences from the game:

It's already winter, not Fall, when they get to Wyoming.

Joel and Ellie are confronted/attacked by Jackson residents outside of the dam. A dog checks if they're infected but doesn't detect Ellie's infection. They're brougbt to the dam by Maria.

Maria (Tommy's wife) is black. She's on a council instead of the leader of the colony. Also, she's pregnant.

Tommy is much less upset about his & Joel's past being Hunters. In the game they almost come to fists over this. Joel gets upset when he finds out Tommy is expecting (because of Sarah). Joel doesn't tell him Ellie is infected or try to pass her off to him at first. Tommy doesn't show him the photograph of him and Sarah after she wins a soccer trophy, which he turns down, I felt this photo is iconic in the game.

The dam isn't attacked by bandits.

Joel has an existential crisis of sorts, because of his age and inability to protect Ellie and his memories of Sarah. (Game Joel is steely the whole way though.) This is why he wants to leave Ellie to Tommy, not so he can be free of the responsibility.

Joel & Tommie meet privately a second time and he tells her about Ellie. Ellie and Joel's big confrontation takes place at the dam. She doesn't run off. I liked how they replicated the conversation though. The conversation ends with Joel leaving the room, not another attack from bandits.

Joel later gives Ellie a choice to go with him or Tommie, instead of surprising her with his change of heart. I think this is more impactful in the game, as an attack separates these which gives Joel clarity, vice Joel thinking it over and reminiscing about Sarah.

At the university, they find out about the Fireflies' Salt Lake facility from a map not a recording.

Joel's major injury: he gets stabbed instead of impaled after falling. Ellie does much less to protect him from Raiders because they had basically already escaped. Unclear if these will be the Survivors (Lake Resort) from the game or a different group in the show.

There was a lot of good stuff here but I think this was where not having an extra episode hurts. I think cramming 2 major parts of the game into 1 episode and [Show spoiler]
made everything much less impactful. However, next episode may make up for this a lot.

[Show spoiler]Episode 7 covers the DLC for the game. I had been looking forward to this episode all week. It is one of the best, if not the best, DLCs there is. And I was so curious how they would handle the flashback to the mall and how Ellie got infected.

I really liked these aspects of the episode.

They used music from Left Behind, the DLC, in this episode, 2 or 3 times.

They incorporated puns/jokes from Left Behind (plus 1 new 1).

The wolf and scary clown masks look like an exact replicas. A lot of aspects of the mall were different but a lot of areas were recreated very well, e.g. the photobooth.

Getting some background from Ellie's time at military school, that we never got in the game.

Ellie having fun on the escalator.

In the present:

Joel send her off to get Tommy. He's just unconscious in the game. Ellie refuses and finds thread in the same house she has stashed Joel, to sew him up. No big excursion to a local mall to get military medical supplies where more survivors from the resort are fought. it's not really even needed since it was just to give gameplay aspects to the story based DLC.

In the flashback:

They find the beer off a dead guy, not their late friend Winston.

Riley & Ellie didn't already know who Marlene was (we also knew this from ep 1)

They get the power on in the mall immediately (in the game they go to the magic shop and throws bricks at the cars first, the magic show comes later in the show).

The arcade machines work, they're all broken in the game and they have to imagine playing them. As with episode 3, Angel Knives is replace by Mortal Kombat.

Their big fight is instigated about because Riley making weapons to kill soldiers, not Riley telling Ellie she is leaving for good the next day (she tells her later).

The magic shop scene occurs after the fight and replaces the water gun game, which doesn't happen.

They're attacked by only 1 infected, not a group.

Riley never says Ellie is the one person who can keep her from leaving, which seemed like a key part of their makeup in the game. The rest of the it (kiss scene, etc) is covered well.

Overall I liked this episode and my anticipation was satisfied, but not sure how the non gaming audience will like this, since it's a diversion from the main story.

[Show spoiler]This penultimate episode covers the resort section of the game with the Survivors.

The David & Ellie conversations were well reconstructed with some additional background info on David.

Troy Baker (Joel from the game) as one of the Survivors. (and killed by Ellie, dang)

They were more explicit that David is trying rape Ellie at the end, rather than kill her. I always felt this was ambiguous in the game, though she definitely thinks he was trying to.

Ellie and David fight dozens of infected in the game before he reveals he knows she & Joel killed a Survivor. No infected interrupt them in the show. Arguably there is not story value here, but it's another missed chance to see infected in a show that is seriously lacking them at this point.

Ellie is immediately captured after the horse is shot, does not fight her way through the resort. Joel similarly has many fewer survivors to fight through.

Ellie intentionally starts the fire in the restaurant.

It was a short episode and I feel like it was a missed opportunity to see infected which have had almost no presence since Kansas City / Pittsburgh. We heard some clicking in the distance and that was it. I know it's not really necessary for the story but they are ever present and everywhere through the game so their absence leaves something to be desired.

That said, this was otherwise and incredible and faithful reconstruction of the events from the game at the resort. It was intense and thrilling. Even though I've seen these events 15+ times, I loved it. Excellent episode. I assume the non gamers will agree.

[Show spoiler]The season finale was very well done and faithful to the last chapter of the game, along with some interesting additions.

The season recap at the start. They went through everything!

Ashley Johnson's (Ellie from game) cameo as Ellie's mom. And the flashback of Ellie's birth, and her mom getting bitten. This is all new and not in the game.

Ellie being distant, like in the game, when they are making their way to the hospital. Ellie being distant when Joel's trying to give her a boost to the ladder, just like in the game. I thought they'd cut this out since it's "gameplay."

The giraffe sequence as very well done and faithful to the game.

Vanishing grace playing in giraffe scene, which is the song from the game during this sequence.

The balcony in the giraffe scene was recreated well.

Ellie's jokes make another comeback, 3 of them (all from game, some from Left Behind).

Joel decimating the Fireflies, the first time we've had a huge combat scene like in the game. For the most part the violence has been toned down, which is more realistic. (A guy in his late 40s to 50s doesn't regularly take out scores of armed men)

The combat areas in the hospital was recreated well, especially the final corridor to the operating room.

They nailed the ending and it was faithful to the game. This was what I was most worried they might change. But it really doesn't work any other way and I'm glad they stuck with it. From the behind the scenes featurette at the end, it's clear Mazin understood this too.

The Path played in the ending credits, same as the game, it's my favorite song from the game.

The episode explores a possible explanation why Ellie's immune, her mom was bitten while the umbilical cord was still attached; but it was then immediately cut. The fungus has grown with her for her whole life. In the game, Left Behind is the first time we know of Ellie's contact with infected.

Joel reveals he tried to kill himself right after Sarah died!

There is no final showdown with infected, to be expected I suppose. Joel & Ellie are captured before getting to the tunnels. Ellie was not unconscious. They apparently drugged her shortly after.

Not really a change but interesting that Joel doesn't kill the surgeon's assistants. In the game you have a choice to spare them or not.

Ellie reveals she killed Riley! This harkens back to a scene from episode 4 when Ellie wounded someone to save Joel's life, but he credits her with the kill and sympathizes with her for doing that (instead of getting mad at her like in the game), and she says it's not the first time she's killed someone.

In the car on the way to Jackson, Joel says hunters/raiders attacked the hospital and they had to leave in a hurry. Ellie asks about the Fireflies and Marlene if they were hurt. With respect to Marlene, Joel doesn't answer. Ellie doesn't ask about them in the game or why they left without her clothes.

I really liked this episode and I hope the non gamers will too. While I have some issues with some of the episodes as you've seen in my reviews, overall this was one of the most faithful game recreations for screen I've ever seen. Some things were left out I would have liked to have seen, but many interesting things were added too, Particularly with various additional background scenes and flashbacks. They did the game and the story justice and I am very proud of them. Bella Ramsey is incredible actress and brought Ellie to life. Pedro Pascal also did a great job as Joel. It was a great season and I am looking forward to what they do in season 2!

Also, I am glad the next time I watch this, I can just watch it and not take a bunch of notes the whole time haha.
Old 03-17-2023, 02:30 PM   #75
Blu-ray Duke

Oct 2010
The Netherlands

Amazon.com
Thanks given by:
Comicfan (03-17-2023), emailking (03-23-2023)
Old 03-17-2023, 06:37 PM   #76
Blu-ray Samurai

Sep 2015
Twin Cities, MN

Just locked in my pre-order from Target (currently $8 cheaper than Amazon).
Thanks given by:
emailking (03-23-2023)
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Blu-ray Movies - North America