Best Blu-ray Movie Deals

Best Blu-ray Movie Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | New deals  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Australia Japan
Ringu Collection (Blu-ray)
$49.99
6 hrs ago
Farscape: The Complete Series (Blu-ray)
$59.99

Godzilla: The Showa-Era Films, 1954-1975 (Blu-ray)
$112.49

The Sopranos: The Complete Series (Blu-ray)
$54.99

Mission: Impossible - 6-Movie Collection 4K (Blu-ray)
$50.39

Ad Astra 4K (Blu-ray)
$24.99

Beverly Hills Cop Trilogy (Blu-ray)
$19.99

Teen Titans: The Complete Series (Blu-ray)
$37.59

Terminator: Dark Fate (Blu-ray)
$22.99

Harry Potter: Complete 8-Film Collection (Blu-ray)
$40.00

The Perils of Gwendoline in the Land of the Yik Yak (Blu-ray)
$22.99

The Secret Life of Pets 2 (Blu-ray)
$12.99

What's your next favorite movie?
Join our movie community to find out

Image from: Life of Pi (2012)

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Home Theater > Home Theater General Discussion

Old 10-02-2019, 07:26 PM   #1

Jul 2013
Porto, Portugal
Default Usb blu-ray external drive

Hello guys

Sorry about probably a dumb question but ...

My idea is ... to buy a usb external bluray player to connect to my laptop . But the question is, can i change the region ? the point is to switch from time to time because i do have some US Criterion titles and i do live in Europe .

thks
Old 10-02-2019, 08:21 PM   #2
Expert Member

Jan 2012

I just double-checked the external USB Blu-ray drive on my PC, it only permits the region to be changed 4 times.
Thanks given by:
36crazyfists (10-02-2019)
Old 10-02-2019, 11:02 PM   #3
Blu-ray Archduke

Oct 2010
Wales

Quote:
Originally Posted by 36crazyfists View Post
Hello guys

Sorry about probably a dumb question but ...

My idea is ... to buy a usb external bluray player to connect to my laptop . But the question is, can i change the region ? the point is to switch from time to time because i do have some US Criterion titles and i do live in Europe .

thks
It might be worth looking at software to work around the issue, either playback software or software to let you change regions without issue.

It's awkward that the best software for playback will record region changes, I think some free ones don't but they don't always work as well.

If you have a PC with a BD drive you can also workaround the issue by backing up your discs and playing them off a USB drive through your TV/media player player.

But to be honest if you have family in the US I'd ask them to pop down to Best Buy and pick up a cheap Sony and post it off to Europe.
Thanks given by:
36crazyfists (10-06-2019)
Old 10-03-2019, 12:19 AM   #4
Blu-ray Samurai

Dec 2009
Central Florida

Purchase AnyDVD HD and call it a day. AnyDVD HD runs in the background. When you insert a DVD or Blu-ray in your external drive AnyDVD HD can be set to remove the region (and country) coding, remove prohibited user operations, remove adverts and trailers, remove video sequences shorther than .5 minutes to 20 minutes, disable BD-Live and even simulate a connected 3D display. Whatever you want it to do. It's a one-time purchase, lifetime license, a complete no-brainer.

I've had the appplication running on my HTPC (with external Blu-ray drive) since it was first made available. All my hardware players are Region A. If I want to watch a retail Blu-ray that's locked outside of Region A I just drop it in my external Blu-ray drive watching it from my HTPC. Easy peasey lemon squeezy. In fact, I watch all my Blu-ray rentals from my HTPC, even ones that are Region A or Region Free that way I can have AnyDVD HD scan the disc when first inserted providing for bypassing all the garbage one normally has to sit through before having an opporuntity to start playback of the feature presentation.

Last edited by AmishParadise; 10-03-2019 at 12:39 AM.
Thanks given by:
36crazyfists (10-06-2019), martinyfelix (10-05-2019)
Old 10-06-2019, 09:50 PM   #5

Jul 2013
Porto, Portugal

Quote:
Originally Posted by chip75 View Post
It might be worth looking at software to work around the issue, either playback software or software to let you change regions without issue.

It's awkward that the best software for playback will record region changes, I think some free ones don't but they don't always work as well.

If you have a PC with a BD drive you can also workaround the issue by backing up your discs and playing them off a USB drive through your TV/media player player.

But to be honest if you have family in the US I'd ask them to pop down to Best Buy and pick up a cheap Sony and post it off to Europe.
thks mate i will probably buy one on Christman from US Amazon via Global Store to avoid customs .
Old 10-06-2019, 09:52 PM   #6

Jul 2013
Porto, Portugal

Quote:
Originally Posted by AmishParadise View Post
Purchase AnyDVD HD and call it a day. AnyDVD HD runs in the background. When you insert a DVD or Blu-ray in your external drive AnyDVD HD can be set to remove the region (and country) coding, remove prohibited user operations, remove adverts and trailers, remove video sequences shorther than .5 minutes to 20 minutes, disable BD-Live and even simulate a connected 3D display. Whatever you want it to do. It's a one-time purchase, lifetime license, a complete no-brainer.

I've had the appplication running on my HTPC (with external Blu-ray drive) since it was first made available. All my hardware players are Region A. If I want to watch a retail Blu-ray that's locked outside of Region A I just drop it in my external Blu-ray drive watching it from my HTPC. Easy peasey lemon squeezy. In fact, I watch all my Blu-ray rentals from my HTPC, even ones that are Region A or Region Free that way I can have AnyDVD HD scan the disc when first inserted providing for bypassing all the garbage one normally has to sit through before having an opporuntity to start playback of the feature presentation.
I do remember using this software a few years back like 10 years or so ...bloody hell about 90 usd ? its seems that the option to buy a US Bluray player is the right choice .
Old 10-06-2019, 10:08 PM   #7
Blu-ray Archduke

Oct 2010
Wales

Quote:
thks mate i will probably buy one on Christmas from US Amazon via Global Store to avoid customs .
Just double check the voltage requirements, I think most Sony players come with a transformer that handles different currents, you just need to change the lead for one with an appropriate plug.

Quote:
I do remember using this software a few years back like 10 years or so ...bloody hell about 90 usd ? its seems that the option to buy a US Bluray player is the right choice .
It does go on offer, but that, the price of a drive, a player maybe a cheaper option.
Thanks given by:
36crazyfists (10-07-2019)
Old 10-07-2019, 03:35 PM   #8

Jul 2013
Porto, Portugal

Quote:
Originally Posted by chip75 View Post
Just double check the voltage requirements, I think most Sony players come with a transformer that handles different currents, you just need to change the lead for one with an appropriate plug.

It does go on offer, but that, the price of a drive, a player maybe a cheaper option.

Thanks dude i already ask a friend of mine to buy a bluray player on the US .
So a Sony one is the best option right ? and then back to Portugal i just need a adapter to change the plug .
Old 10-07-2019, 04:05 PM   #9
Blu-ray Archduke

Oct 2010
Wales

Quote:
Thanks dude i already ask a friend of mine to buy a bluray player on the US .
So a Sony one is the best option right ? and then back to Portugal i just need a adapter to change the plug .
Most Sony players have a 12V jack, a transformer with a figure-of-8 lead, so you just have to replace the lead for your local one. Just check that the voltage on the transformer is compatible.

They look like this:

Thanks given by:
36crazyfists (10-07-2019)
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Home Theater > Home Theater General Discussion