Best iTunes Movie Deals

Best iTunes Movie Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | New deals  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Australia Japan
Blade Runner 2049 (iTunes)
$7.99
15 hrs ago
Kingdom of Heaven (iTunes)
$4.99
14 hrs ago
Mad Max: Fury Road (iTunes)
$7.99
18 hrs ago
Holmes & Watson / Step Brothers / Talladega Nights: The Ballad of Ricky Bobby (iTunes)
$19.99

The Twilight Zone: The Complete Series (iTunes)
$49.99

Wonder Woman: Bloodlines (iTunes)
$9.99

Hellboy (iTunes)
$7.99

Wreck-It Ralph (iTunes)
$14.99

Sausage Party / This is the End (iTunes)
$14.99
23 hrs ago
This Is the End / Pineapple Express (iTunes)
$14.99
23 hrs ago
Charlie's Angels / Charlie's Angels: Full Throttle (iTunes)
$12.99

The Big Lebowski (iTunes)
$7.99

What's your next favorite movie?
Join our movie community to find out

Image from: Life of Pi (2012)

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Digital Movies

Old 11-12-2019, 12:40 PM   #461
Blu-ray Guru

Apr 2015

Quote:
Originally Posted by p w View Post
rakuten is serious about moving into VOD markets around the world. just a question of IF they decide to target the US with an acquisition. if they wait a year or two, it'll be much cheaper to buy some other failed VOD service (fandangonow for example).
Rakuten have a streaming service here in the UK and although they benefit from having their app on smart TVs, they're not really that popular. On the other hand there's another "small" player called Chili, an Italian owned VOD service, which is kamikaze in its pricing. For example Hobbs and Shaw can be pre-ordered for £4.99, Doctor Sleep and Joker for £5.99 etc, they're offering huge price cuts to build up a consumer base. Meanwhile Amazon, iTunes etc are more than happy charging 3x the price of a DVD for an older movie. I think competitive pricing will be key to success for VOD services going forward.
Thanks given by:
Blaze_Chamberlin (Yesterday), flyry (Yesterday), jbloggs (11-12-2019), Steedeel (11-12-2019), zenpai (11-12-2019)
Old 11-12-2019, 05:41 PM   #462
Expert Member

Jan 2017

Even if it wasn't as successful as they probably wanted, all the cross promotion (codes on receipts with disc purchase, credits, etc.) made Vudu so much more of a value than other services imo.

Assuming all that disappears when/if they sell will be a big loss.
Thanks given by:
Clark Kent (Yesterday), Undeadcow (11-12-2019)
Old 11-12-2019, 05:43 PM   #463
Power Member

Oct 2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by moviegeek1992 View Post
Rakuten have a streaming service here in the UK and although they benefit from having their app on smart TVs, they're not really that popular. On the other hand there's another "small" player called Chili, an Italian owned VOD service, which is kamikaze in its pricing.
Rakuten is just starting to expand into VOD around the world. Give them until 2025 to see where they are sitting. Figure they are going to be one of the players to gobble up the smaller services that fail or the middle services that grow weary of the financial commitment to stay relevant in an aggressive market space.

Hadn't really thought about them as a player in VOD until someone mentioned them in this thread. Started reading different reports, prospectus, statements from their Board, and some of their purchases over the past 3 years. they are definitely looking to be a player beyond the 12 vod markets they are currently in. they are shooting for 41 markets in vod by end of 2020.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rakuten_TV

Quote:
Originally Posted by bru20 View Post
Even if it wasn't as successful as they probably wanted, all the cross promotion (codes on receipts with disc purchase, credits, etc.) made Vudu so much more of a value than other services imo. Assuming all that disappears when/if they sell will be a big loss.
we dont know that yet. rakuten currently has a digital distribution deal in place with walmart for books. they could agree on some type of continued presence in walmart by vudu even after a purchase. say for the next 5 years nothing changes as it currently works in walmart for vudu name or purchases.

************************************************** ************************************************** *******

A new article to read about what is going on with Vudu featuring some recent quotes from insiders/industry (other than just an op-ed repeat of the original TheInformation article.)

Quote:
“It feels like in a lot of senses they’re adopting the right principles and moving the industry forward in the right direction, but they’re not doing enough to get consumers to actually use the platform,” said Anthony Koziarski, chief media officer at PHD.

“Vudu’s scale is one of their downfalls. Their customer base is just not growing at the rate of other platforms or services,” said Natalee Geldert, brand media director at PMG.

In response to emailed questions, Vudu vp Scott Blanksteen declined to say how many monthly active users the service has but said the number of people actively using Vudu’s ad-supported service has doubled this year. He also said that Vudu’s advertiser base has tripled since the start of the year to more than 200 companies.
SOURCE:https://digiday.com/marketing/missin...n-advertisers/

Last edited by p w; 11-12-2019 at 05:59 PM.
Thanks given by:
flyry (Yesterday), mjmbond (Yesterday), moviegeek1992 (11-12-2019), Undeadcow (11-12-2019)
Old 11-12-2019, 05:59 PM   #464
Blu-ray Archduke

Apr 2011
England

Quote:
Rakuten is just starting to expand into VOD around the world. Give them until 2025 to see where they are sitting. Figure they are going to be one of the players to gobble up the smaller services that fail or the middle services that grow weary of the financial commitment to stay relevant in an aggressive market space.

Hadn't really thought about them as a player in VOD until someone mentioned them in this thread. Started reading different reports, prospectus, statements from their Board, and some of their purchases over the past 3 years. they are definitely looking to be a player beyond the 12 vod markets they are currently in. they are shooting for 41 markets in vod by end of 2020.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rakuten_TV

we dont know that yet. rakuten currently has a digital distribution deal in place with walmart for books. they could agree on some type of continued presence in walmart by vudu even after a purchase. say for the next 5 years nothing changes as it currently works in walmart for vudu name or purchases.
They have been a presence in the U.K. for many years. They don’t even have a app for the PlayStation. I don’t know anyone who has even heard of them. Sky Store, ITunes and Amazon are the big stores here, with maybe Google Play/Youtube now they redeem codes.
Old 11-12-2019, 06:44 PM   #465
Expert Member

Jan 2017

Quote:

You seem to think Rakuten purchasing Vudu is a done deal. No matter who it is (if anyone at all) I don't think all the tie ins will remain the same. Guess we wait and find out.
Old 11-12-2019, 07:28 PM   #466
Power Member

Oct 2014

Quote:
You seem to think Rakuten purchasing Vudu is a done deal. No matter who it is (if anyone at all) I don't think all the tie ins will remain the same. Guess we wait and find out.
i do not believe it is a done deal. i think of all the company names people have tossed about, its now the most likely choice. since both companies interests line up (walmart not wanting to spend capital expanding vudu in svod, while rakuten is aggressively looking to expand quickly into vod markets they are not in).

if i have to pick one i wanted, it would be netflix. a vudu purchase would allow a seat at moviesanywhere. ending films disappearing off of netflix. giving them a vod vault option for their svod service. and netflix is going to survive the streaming wars of 2020-2025 just fine. but i've not seen one indicator that netflix is interested in expanding into vod. which is a shame.

when its all said and done, dont expect anything to change at vudu. maybe walmart spins them out as a sub unit like they are looking to do with sam's club. but vudu will still be owned by walmart and the market offers won't be enough to get a sale done.
Old 11-12-2019, 09:10 PM   #467
Expert Member

Jan 2017

Quote:
i do not believe it is a done deal. i think of all the company names people have tossed about, its now the most likely choice. since both companies interests line up (walmart not wanting to spend capital expanding vudu in svod, while rakuten is aggressively looking to expand quickly into vod markets they are not in).

if i have to pick one i wanted, it would be netflix. a vudu purchase would allow a seat at moviesanywhere. ending films disappearing off of netflix. giving them a vod vault option for their svod service. and netflix is going to survive the streaming wars of 2020-2025 just fine. but i've not seen one indicator that netflix is interested in expanding into vod. which is a shame.

when its all said and done, dont expect anything to change at vudu. maybe walmart spins them out as a sub unit like they are looking to do with sam's club. but vudu will still be owned by walmart and the market offers won't be enough to get a sale done.
I disagree completely. If they sell it, it will not likely stay the same.

If they don't sell it they easily could just close it down. They are in the business to make money and answer to their shareholders, not keep a VOD service that they have decided they don't want.
Old 11-12-2019, 09:21 PM   #468
Power Member

Oct 2014

Quote:
If they don't sell it they easily could just close it down. They are in the business to make money and answer to their shareholders, not keep a VOD service that they have decided they don't want.
Walmart hasn't decided they dont want vudu, they are just shopping it to appraise value currently.
Thanks given by:
zenpai (11-12-2019)
Old 11-12-2019, 11:34 PM   #469
Expert Member

Jan 2017

Quote:
Walmart hasn't decided they dont want vudu, they are just shopping it to appraise value currently.
Did I say they had decided that yet? But its in the realm of possibility that if they don't find a buyer they will close it. If you don't see that as a possibility you are being naive.

I have as much invested in Vudu as anyone so I don't want it to disappear. Today I redeemed 3 non MA codes on it, so I am not bailing but I am not stupid either. Walmart has decided it doesn't fit in to their corporate future so it will be divested, one way or the other.
Old Yesterday, 05:16 AM   #470
Blu-ray Prince

Oct 2007
Metropolis

Quote:
It's already been decided. A billion-dollar company like Walmart doesn't let this news get out unless the decision has already been made to sell off VUDU.
Old Yesterday, 06:39 AM   #471
Blu-ray Samurai

Jun 2013

Quote:
this was a good read.

thanks a lot mr mom!

"The service has developed a slate of original shows, the first of which “Mr. Mom” premiered in September; Blanksteen said Vudu has a dozen original programs scheduled to premiere in 2020. Production budgets for Vudu original shows were “not Quibi money” but “substantial enough,” said one entertainment exec who met with Vudu earlier this year. Vudu’s budgets for original programs range from $4 million to $10 million, according to another media exec. The company is looking to license shows for 10 years, with series being exclusive to the streamer for the first five years, this person said."
Thanks given by:
zenpai (Yesterday)
Old Yesterday, 01:52 PM   #472
Expert Member

Jan 2017

Quote:
Are you in the meetings that discuss this? You are really reaching with all your assumptions. Walmart wants to sell it because it has been decided it doesn't fit in with their corporate strategy. Business 101 tells you what will happen. Done discussing it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clark Kent View Post
It's already been decided. A billion-dollar company like Walmart doesn't let this news get out unless the decision has already been made to sell off VUDU.
This person and most everyone else gets it. You obviously refuse to see what is coming. I'm repeating but I have as much to lose as anyone, but sticking my head in the sand doesn't really accomplish much.
Old Yesterday, 02:34 PM   #473
Blu-ray Ninja

Nov 2011
Houston, TX

If the idea is that Wal-mart strategically leaked this information, I don't see what the benefit is for them in doing so.

No one really knows what is going on with Vudu or Wal-mart; probably none of us ever will. I do wish Vudu info was more public because my suspicion is that this 'news,' while potentially a 'big deal,' might just fizzle out and we never hear anything more of it. Could be that McDonalds just signed off on buying Vudu and we won't know for another year or that nothing will change.

Curiously I'm not sure Vudu/Wal-mart would even need to publicly announce any sale once a done deal; but I guess since Walmart Inc is publicly traded that would obligate them to communicate with shareholders.

Last edited by Undeadcow; Yesterday at 03:15 PM.
Thanks given by:
Kedrix (Yesterday)
Old Yesterday, 05:45 PM   #474
Blu-ray Guru

Mar 2013
Sahuarita, AZ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Undeadcow View Post
Curiously I'm not sure Vudu/Wal-mart would even need to publicly announce any sale once a done deal; but I guess since Walmart Inc is publicly traded that would obligate them to communicate with shareholders.
Yup, and as a Shareholder I would want to know of a strategic asset being disposed of. Which brings up another point, any sale of spin-off of Vudu would likely require board approval, which may not happen if the valuation doesn't meet expectations.
Thanks given by:
Undeadcow (Yesterday)
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Digital Movies