Best Blu-ray Movie Deals

Last-Minute Holiday Deals are Live »

Top deals | New deals  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Japan
The Ultimate James Bond Collection (Blu-ray)
$94.99
12 hrs ago
Doctor Who: Tom Baker - Complete Season Seven (Blu-ray)
$61.12
13 hrs ago
Jurassic World: 5 Movie Collection (Blu-ray)
$27.99

Universal Classic Monsters: Complete 30-Film Collection (Blu-ray)
$79.99

Queens of Scream - Triple Feature (Blu-ray)
$5.88
13 hrs ago
Predator: 4-Movie Collection 4K (Blu-ray)
$49.99

Batman/Superman Anthology (Blu-ray)
$37.99

Westworld: Season One (Blu-ray)
$16.99

Outlander: Season Three (Blu-ray)
$24.99

The Dark Knight Trilogy (Blu-ray)
$15.99

The Meg (Blu-ray)
$14.99

Mission: Impossible - Fallout 4K (Blu-ray)
$19.99

What's your next favorite movie?
Join our movie community to find out

Image from: Life of Pi (2012)

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Audio > Headphones, Portable Audio, Computer Audio

Old 11-24-2018, 01:41 AM   #2101
Expert Member

Feb 2011

For full sized cans, will just keep my STAX L300 Limiteds, Argon Mk3, and an HD58X...and maybe my Purplehearts as well. Everything else plan to let go of. I'm extremely content with the performance of the Argon Mk3 and STAX L300 Limited, and the HD58X is great as well. I do love the Purplehearts, but the Argon simply is better at everything except subbass impact and has a great dynamic and punchy sound different from most any planar. It's a planar that outdoes the TH-X00 at it's own dynamic game...except for that massive low end presence that the PH does unlike anything else. I've really fallen in love with the Argon's in case you can't tell...LOL
Thanks given by:
frogmeat69 (11-24-2018), koover (11-24-2018)
Old 11-24-2018, 02:54 PM   #2102
Power Member

Aug 2009
Surprise Arizona

I'm kinda in the same boat as you guys. I believe.....for a "good" while, I'm done and don't need or want anything else. I just picked up the Focal Clears and to me, they're the finest sounding headphones for my tastes. Each time I put them on my head I'm just blown away. Couple that with the MJ2/Gumby plus some great tubes and I'm happy as a pig in Schiit.

I also have the Klipsch Heritage HP-3, ZMF Ori and Audeze LCD-2C and these 4 headphones to me personally are all endgame and just can't see me getting anything else. The thing is, Im not getting rid of the Purpleheart, AH-D2000, HD 650 or 58X, Meze 99 classic, 1MTDOE and Sony MDR-Z7 or anything. LOL

And for a pretty easy movie quote (who knows what movie this is?....all of you will) is basically how I feel at this time.

And that's the only thing I need is this. I don't need this or this. Just this ashtray... And this paddle game. - The ashtray and the paddle game and that's all I need... And this remote control. - The ashtray, the paddle game, and the remote control, and that's all I need... And these matches. - The ashtray, and these matches, and the remote control, and the paddle ball... And this lamp. - The ashtray, this paddle game, and the remote control, and the lamp, and that's all I need. And that's all I need too. I don't need one other thing, not one... I need this.
Thanks given by:
frogmeat69 (11-24-2018)
Old 11-26-2018, 07:53 AM   #2103
Special Member

May 2011
Seoul, Korea

That's cool.
I'm close to the end of my "journey" as well. I am about done with headphones that I like/want and plan to keep for a long time. Have the solid state amp I intend to keep. Have two awesome DAPs for on-the-go. Also, the Yggy DAC makes me totally happy.

What's left?
A killer tube amp. My Bottleheads are great, but I mean, I want something more reliable, less likely to break down and require maintenance, and I don't want to keep tempting myself to continually modify/upgrade components in them (which also means that I am more likely to break them).

That's not going to happen for quite a long time, though. I'm financially tapped out for at least 5 months. It'll be 1-2 years before I have an end-game tube amplifier.
Old 11-28-2018, 07:51 AM   #2104
Expert Member

Feb 2011

Tell you what, I've had these little guys for about a week so far and am really loving them...

Massdrop/Koss Porta Pro X with Yaxi pads...much better sounding than with the stock pads and more comfortable. Like them over the KPH30i now, where previously preferred the KPH30i sound over the Porta Pro on stock pads. Makes me want to try Yaxi pads for the TH-X00 and HD58X...

https://www.yaxi.jp/product-gallery/

Last edited by Vracer111; 11-28-2018 at 08:17 AM.
Thanks given by:
frogmeat69 (11-29-2018), koover (11-28-2018)
Old 11-29-2018, 01:08 AM   #2105
Expert Member

Mar 2012
Western New York, U.S.A.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vracer111 View Post
Tell you what, I've had these little guys for about a week so far and am really loving them...

Massdrop/Koss Porta Pro X with Yaxi pads...much better sounding than with the stock pads and more comfortable. Like them over the KPH30i now, where previously preferred the KPH30i sound over the Porta Pro on stock pads. Makes me want to try Yaxi pads for the TH-X00 and HD58X...

https://www.yaxi.jp/product-gallery/
Are they thicker? They also look wider, like they would go over more of your ear. What do they do to improve the sound?
Also, I wonder if these would make it more difficult to put the porta-pros into the little case that's designed for them? It's tough now.

EDIT: Screw it, got a set in orange, lol.

Last edited by frogmeat69; 11-29-2018 at 01:22 AM.
Old 11-29-2018, 07:02 AM   #2106
Expert Member

Feb 2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by frogmeat69 View Post
Are they thicker? They also look wider, like they would go over more of your ear. What do they do to improve the sound?
Also, I wonder if these would make it more difficult to put the porta-pros into the little case that's designed for them? It's tough now.

EDIT: Screw it, got a set in orange, lol.
Yes, bigger in diameter and about twice as thick overall:

The temporal pads will be just floating off the side, not touching.

The review Yaxi has linked is pretty accurate to what I hear:

https://everydaylistening.net/2018/0...ta-pro-review/

Last edited by Vracer111; 11-29-2018 at 07:15 AM.
Thanks given by:
frogmeat69 (11-29-2018)
Old 12-06-2018, 07:31 AM   #2107
Special Member

May 2011
Seoul, Korea

I am going to ZMFestivus this Sunday in Chicago. I figured since I was nowhere near the neighborhood (only by about 11,000km) I thought I'd stop by!
There are a few reasons. First, the Art Institute of Chicago has been on my unwritten bucket list almost my entire life. Near the ZMFestivus venue are five+ breweries (beer and whiskey are another hobby of mine), two smokehouses (I specialize in barbecue cooking), and a few popular deep dish pizza restaurants. So like... There is a ZMF convention?

The other reason is that I think the Verite - ZMF's latest offering - is going to be an endgame purchase for me, and I can't wait to try it out.
I was going to do an episode of Mann's Cans, because ZMF sent me a surprise delivery/parcel. Turns out they loved my ZMF videos, and they sent me complimentary replacement pads for the Eikon. As I was filming the unboxing, I then realized they sent me all THREE pairs of pads, and I just stared at the camera for several seconds, speechless. I didn't want to crack any jokes, but I couldn't properly verbalize how grateful (and surprised) I was. So I just kept staring, saying nothing.
I haven't even looked at the video because I get embarrassed just thinking about it.

With that said, maybe there will be a "Special Episode" of Mann's Cans by Christmas!
Thanks given by:
Badas (12-07-2018), koover (12-09-2018), Vracer111 (12-06-2018)
Old 12-11-2018, 07:39 PM   #2108
Power Member

Aug 2009
Surprise Arizona

Quote:
Originally Posted by KcMsterpce View Post
I am going to ZMFestivus this Sunday in Chicago. I figured since I was nowhere near the neighborhood (only by about 11,000km) I thought I'd stop by!
There are a few reasons. First, the Art Institute of Chicago has been on my unwritten bucket list almost my entire life. Near the ZMFestivus venue are five+ breweries (beer and whiskey are another hobby of mine), two smokehouses (I specialize in barbecue cooking), and a few popular deep dish pizza restaurants. So like... There is a ZMF convention?

The other reason is that I think the Verite - ZMF's latest offering - is going to be an endgame purchase for me, and I can't wait to try it out.
I was going to do an episode of Mann's Cans, because ZMF sent me a surprise delivery/parcel. Turns out they loved my ZMF videos, and they sent me complimentary replacement pads for the Eikon. As I was filming the unboxing, I then realized they sent me all THREE pairs of pads, and I just stared at the camera for several seconds, speechless. I didn't want to crack any jokes, but I couldn't properly verbalize how grateful (and surprised) I was. So I just kept staring, saying nothing.
I haven't even looked at the video because I get embarrassed just thinking about it.

With that said, maybe there will be a "Special Episode" of Mann's Cans by Christmas!
Hey bro,
On Head-fi, I looked at the pics and saw you at the ZMF meet along with reading your brief comment. You gotta let the 3-4 of us (us die hards that keep this thread alive) know how it was and what the sounds were like. Looks like it was a lot of fun. Zach had some pretty kick a$$ raffle items I see. Damn!
Old 12-11-2018, 11:49 PM   #2109
Special Member

May 2011
Seoul, Korea

Quote:
Originally Posted by koover View Post
Hey bro,
On Head-fi, I looked at the pics and saw you at the ZMF meet along with reading your brief comment. You gotta let the 3-4 of us (us die hards that keep this thread alive) know how it was and what the sounds were like. Looks like it was a lot of fun. Zach had some pretty kick a$$ raffle items I see. Damn!
Well, I just got back from Chicago 12 hours ago.
I want to film an episode covering my experience at the ZMFestivus today. However, I have to fix my desktop PC, because it broke 3 days before I flew out to chicago. I use that PC to edit all my video stuff.

Long story short: I plan to film an episode in the next day or two. Usually takes an hour per minute to edit, so (hopefully) by Friday something will be released.

It was an awesome time. The head-fi community is of course populated by passionate headphone lovers. They are also really kind, open, and enthusiastic human beings. The get together was merely a springboard for like-minded enthusiasts to get together, but ultimately led to connecting with wonderful people.
I will go into detail (with pics of the event) more once I do the episode.

For now, I'm tired and am just hoping I don't fall asleep at my desk today, or tomorrow haha

Last edited by KcMsterpce; 12-13-2018 at 01:19 PM.
Thanks given by:
koover (12-12-2018), Vracer111 (12-12-2018)
Old 12-13-2018, 03:38 PM   #2110
Special Member

May 2011
Seoul, Korea

OK, here it is:

Read the description for time stamps/topics, but coverage of the actual event is "5:49 - 12:57".
Stuff before that is mostly intended for non-head-fi followers, in case they have no clue what I'm talking about when I mention the site/forum.

Man... I ordered some new microphones on Amazon, but the order has been on "Shipping Soon" for three weeks. Sorry it sounds like shit.

Last edited by KcMsterpce; 12-13-2018 at 10:35 PM.
Thanks given by:
Vracer111 (Yesterday)
Old Yesterday, 06:22 AM   #2111
Expert Member

Feb 2011

Just saw it... do like your presentation style Casey and enjoyed the video. That's the conundrum of checking gear out at meets or conventions... you get to hear it, but don't really get to hear it at the same time.

I just realized how much I've spent on gear within the last 2 years... yowzers... but I've found what kind of sound I gravitate to and really enjoy and will be reducing things down to the ones that do it best. I'm not a neutral/reference kind of guy - I actually enjoy listening to music... LOL
Thanks given by:
KcMsterpce (Yesterday)
Old Today, 08:00 AM   #2112
Special Member

May 2011
Seoul, Korea

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vracer111 View Post
Just saw it... do like your presentation style Casey and enjoyed the video. That's the conundrum of checking gear out at meets or conventions... you get to hear it, but don't really get to hear it at the same time.
Exactly. I love being AROUND awesome gear. If I knew that I'd have several hours to become more intimately acquainted, then I'd be willing to sit and have eargasms galore.

Quote:
I just realized how much I've spent on gear within the last 2 years... yowzers... but I've found what kind of sound I gravitate to and really enjoy and will be reducing things down to the ones that do it best. I'm not a neutral/reference kind of guy - I actually enjoy listening to music... LOL
I get what you mean. I already said a buttload on the video, but it boils down to the process of experimenting with things, and learning what you personally enjoy, then gravitating to that.
The Eikon, for example, helped me get back to just enjoying music. I have noticed that over the years I've been focused on having a very critical ear, and trying to discern the minutia of all my gear. It's not a bad thing, but it also leads to not really hearing the music so much as listening to the character of the sound.

Thanks for watching. Glad you liked it. I am holding off on episodes for a bit, until I have better recording gear. My microphones are pure crap. I'm sick of fighting with them and trying to fix the audio in post. My new microphones shipped out yesterday (after three weeks of "shipping soon").
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Audio > Headphones, Portable Audio, Computer Audio