Best Blu-ray Movie Deals

Best Blu-ray Movie Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | New deals  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Australia Japan
The Grand Budapest Hotel (Blu-ray)
$29.39
8 hrs ago
It: Chapter Two 4K (Blu-ray)
$19.99
22 hrs ago
Alita: Battle Angel 4K + 3D (Blu-ray)
$19.99
4 hrs ago
Army of Shadows (Blu-ray)
$29.39
13 hrs ago
It: Chapter Two (Blu-ray)
$14.99

Skyscraper 3D (Blu-ray)
$12.99
15 hrs ago
Batman 4-Film Collection 4K (Blu-ray)
$79.99
23 hrs ago
1917 4K (Blu-ray)
$29.99

Destry Rides Again (Blu-ray)
$29.39
15 hrs ago
Midway (Blu-ray)
$19.99

Jay and Silent Bob Reboot (Blu-ray)
$14.99

The Great Mouse Detective (Blu-ray)
$5.99

What's your next favorite movie?
Join our movie community to find out

Image from: Life of Pi (2012)

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Blu-ray > Blu-ray PCs, Laptops, Drives, Media and Software

Old 05-04-2018, 11:39 PM   #1

Oct 2010
Northern California
Default Request for help from a BD-R newbie

Hello -

Sadly, my technical know-how regarding most electronics stuff is pretty out-of-date. I'm hoping that the cumulative knowledge of the folks on this forum can provide me with some answers. My heartfelt thanks in advance to anyone who can chime in with some assistance!

I'd like to be able to do the following:

1) Condense parts of my DVD collection down. For example, compile two or more shorter DVDs (such as, music video or concert performance clips of the same artist) onto one BD-R.

2) Transfer older DVD-R content to a new BD-R, before the DVD-R shows signs of degradation. Some of my DVD-R's are 15 or more years old, and still look OK, but may not do so for much longer. I'd like to preserve that content while I still can.

3) Although not as important as the above two, I would also like to transfer certain mp4, avi and/or wmv files from my hard drive to BD-R.

My question is: is there a good, low cost, external BD-R burner that can do all of these things reasonably well, with the ability to create (at least basic) menu screens for the disc? I would imagine there are some, but am ignorant of current options available to me. Recommendations (or conversely, brands/models to avoid) would be greatly appreciated. Likewise, recommendations on blank media would also be appreciated.
Old 05-09-2018, 12:37 AM   #2

Oct 2010
Northern California

Old 05-14-2018, 10:16 PM   #3

Aug 2009

Well... you are asking for a lot here. Meaning, what can be some complex stuff.

1. First and foremost. You are working with two completely different formats/technologies. They are NOT backwards compatible with each other. You can’t copy a full DVD disc, throw it into a BD, then expect to pop it into any player and get full playback support. Does not work that way.

2. Not only do you need hardware, but software that will allow you to do this.

In short, it may be difficult to do what you are asking due to the aforemention reasons/limitations, plus the software may not be available.

You can use BD as storage to burn and backup files. You can Google this and find hundreds of articles on the matter. But could be difficult to find software that will let you create menus and at the very least would require some experience on BD and DVD file structures and burning. Some may help you create custom photo/video albums, but again may require some research to see if one provides the type of interface/menu you are looking for. There is no simple one button, one size fits all option for this.

Recommendations? There are hundreds of reviews/recommendations out there already on hardware. Google is your friend. You can also search within Amazon.com on top sellers and read up on reviews and pros/cons on BD hardware and media from buyers like you.

You have to do some of the leg work yourself based on what YOU need and the hardware you are planning to use this in. You will also gain some knowledge on the matter.

Last edited by st4evr; 05-14-2018 at 10:32 PM.
Thanks given by:
chriszilla (05-19-2018)
Old 05-14-2018, 10:35 PM   #4
Blu-ray Samurai

Jul 2009
Woodstock Georgia

Might try over at https://www.videohelp.com/ I have used them for researching vcr to dvd in the past. Good Luck
Thanks given by:
chriszilla (05-19-2018)
Old 05-19-2018, 10:15 PM   #5

Oct 2010
Northern California

Thank you for the advice, st4evr and Bodyslide. It is appreciated.
Old 05-20-2018, 02:31 AM   #6
Blu-ray Champion

Aug 2012
Lincoln, NE

This is a tricky topic to discuss here as it's generally frowned upon to discuss specifics on how to do what you are wanting. I will say this though.. archiving older video files on BD-R is incredibly easy. I routinely back up everything I own digitally that's not on a retail disc. As far as copying content of DVD-R's to BD-R's... depending on what you want the BD-R to do, you may have a few options. As st4ver mentioned, transferring full back-ups of DVD's onto a BD-R so that the individial BD-R's are playable on a standard blu ray player isn't possible, however if you don't mind losing the official dvd menu's, then you can easily make a BD-R with your own custom menu and still play back the standard definition DVD content with no loss in quality. I've re-created many old VHS compilations of various christmas specials I had growing up as a BD-R using the various christmas cartoons I'd purchased. I'll refer you to the following programs/websites to get you going...

-ImgBurn
-MakeMKV
-Handbrake
-MultiAVCHD

For Archiving old content all you'll need is Imgburn... for anything more than that you'll be looking at using some of the above programs as well as some others possibly.
Thanks given by:
chriszilla (05-20-2018)
Old 05-20-2018, 09:53 AM   #7

Oct 2010
Northern California

Quote:
Originally Posted by TripleHBK View Post
This is a tricky topic to discuss here as it's generally frowned upon to discuss specifics on how to do what you are wanting. I will say this though.. archiving older video files on BD-R is incredibly easy. I routinely back up everything I own digitally that's not on a retail disc. As far as copying content of DVD-R's to BD-R's... depending on what you want the BD-R to do, you may have a few options. As st4ver mentioned, transferring full back-ups of DVD's onto a BD-R so that the individial BD-R's are playable on a standard blu ray player isn't possible, however if you don't mind losing the official dvd menu's, then you can easily make a BD-R with your own custom menu and still play back the standard definition DVD content with no loss in quality. I've re-created many old VHS compilations of various christmas specials I had growing up as a BD-R using the various christmas cartoons I'd purchased. I'll refer you to the following programs/websites to get you going...

-ImgBurn
-MakeMKV
-Handbrake
-MultiAVCHD

For Archiving old content all you'll need is Imgburn... for anything more than that you'll be looking at using some of the above programs as well as some others possibly.

Thank you very much for the detailed feedback. Much appreciated!
Old 12-10-2019, 10:53 PM   #8

Aug 2019
Egypt
Send a message via ICQ to Verdawrema Send a message via AIM to Verdawrema Send a message via Yahoo to Verdawrema Send a message via Skype™ to Verdawrema
Default Request for help from a BD R newbie

I just found a MINT Remington 550-1 like we shot as kids back in the 50s. Would like help dating it. The serial number is 1300235. Can anyone date it, please? Thank you-- Mark
Old 12-16-2019, 04:10 AM   #9
Blu-ray Champion

Aug 2012
Lincoln, NE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Verdawrema View Post
I just found a MINT Remington 550-1 like we shot as kids back in the 50s. Would like help dating it. The serial number is 1300235. Can anyone date it, please? Thank you-- Mark
Look at the Barrel of the gun for a series of letters. Once you have those use this website to date the gun.

http://oldguns.net/sn_php/remdates.htm
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Blu-ray > Blu-ray PCs, Laptops, Drives, Media and Software