Best PS3 Game Deals

Best PS3 Game Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | New deals  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Australia Netherlands Japan Mexico
Mirror's Edge (PS3)
$19.99

Lightning Returns: Final Fantasy XIII (PS3)
$25.09

The Walking Dead: Survival Instinct (PS3)
$19.99

Final Fantasy IX (PS3)
$14.99

Hyperdimension Neptunia Victory (PS3)
$29.97

Atelier Totori: The Adventurer of Arland (PS3)
$29.99

ICO and Shadow of the Colossus Collection, The (PS3)
$19.99

Bulletstorm (PS3)
$59.95

Greg Hastings Paintball 2 (PS3)
$39.96

NBA Live 11 (PS3)
$59.95

True Crime (PS3)
$59.99

ArcaniA: Gothic 4 (PS3)
$59.99

What's your next favorite movie?
Join our movie community to find out

Image from: Life of Pi (2012)

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Gaming > PlayStation > PS3

Old 10-10-2007, 10:45 PM   #1

Oct 2007
Salt Lake City, UT
Default Capcom drops Monster Hunter 3 for PS3

This is not good... Not at all.

http://www.1up.com/do/newsStory?cId=3163572

PS3 Dev. Costs Caused Monster Hunter Wii Move
Capcom says pricey development reason for platform shift.

One of the biggest surprises out of Nintendo's media event in Japan was the announcement that Monster Hunter 3 would be released on the Wii. Understand that, for Japan, this is somewhere near the magnitude of when Grand Theft Auto IV was announced for the Xbox 360 -- a major coup. But why would Capcom shift a PlayStation-exclusive series to the Wii, especially with a game that was already previously announced for PlayStation 3? Money.

Katsuhiko Ichii, Capcom's managing corporate officer, explained the decision to Thompson Financial News (via Gamasutra). "Due to high development cost of titles for PS3, we have decided to switch the platform to which we release our Monster Hunter 3 title," Ichii said. While it remains unclear whether Monster Hunter 3 is now a Wii exclusive, or simply being released on both Wii and PS3, this quote seems to suggest the former. Either way, the fact remains: the most popular new console in Japan just got that much more powerful.

Last edited by CrippyBlunt; 10-10-2007 at 10:47 PM.
Old 10-10-2007, 10:56 PM   #2
Super Moderator

Feb 2007

Sounds like something was lost in translation to me, I expected MH in some form to hit every platform.
Old 10-11-2007, 02:08 AM   #3
Expert Member

Apr 2007

This kinda sucks. I might have actually gotten this on the PS3. A few guys at work wont shut up about both Monster Hunter games on PSP.

Boo Capcom too for doing this. I know they are in business to make money, but they show no love for the PS3 at all. First they move PS3 exclusive games to be multi plat with x360, and say their new direction is to go multi plat to expand their audience and provide games for more people, yet no exclusive 360 games are coming to PS3. Now PS3 loses the exclusive MH3, not to multi platform, but completely to Wii to be exclusive on Wii. Maybe Capcom will move solely to Wii since it has the largest install base of the three systems now and is the cheapest to develope for and say they are going in yet another new direction and that direction is with the Wii, screw PS3 and 360.

It might be a long while before I but another Capcom game. Even if I do own a Xbox360, PS3 and Wii. I am not favoring their decisions.
Old 10-11-2007, 02:36 AM   #4

Oct 2007
Salt Lake City, UT

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToonyLoons View Post
This kinda sucks. I might have actually gotten this on the PS3. A few guys at work wont shut up about both Monster Hunter games on PSP.

Boo Capcom too for doing this. I know they are in business to make money, but they show no love for the PS3 at all. First they move PS3 exclusive games to be multi plat with x360, and say their new direction is to go multi plat to expand their audience and provide games for more people, yet no exclusive 360 games are coming to PS3. Now PS3 loses the exclusive MH3, not to multi platform, but completely to Wii to be exclusive on Wii. Maybe Capcom will move solely to Wii since it has the largest install base of the three systems now and is the cheapest to develope for and say they are going in yet another new direction and that direction is with the Wii, screw PS3 and 360.

It might be a long while before I but another Capcom game. Even if I do own a Xbox360, PS3 and Wii. I am not favoring their decisions.
I hear you man. How do they expect the PS3 to take off if they keep taking all the games away from it? Isn't that the reason people buy consoles in the first place? Because of the games? Now that Sony finally lower the price of the PS3 and a LOT more people can afford it, news like this will discourage some people from byuing a PS3...
Old 10-11-2007, 09:56 AM   #5
Power Member

Aug 2006
Long Island, NY;psn:phranctoast

Im suprised they did this. The attach rate for the wii isnt incredibly high. A lot of its fanbase are comprised with people that just bought the wii for wii sports. So these people do not fall in the "Im going to buy monster hunter3" category.
Old 10-11-2007, 10:08 AM   #6
Super Moderator

Feb 2007

Pretty sad they'd rather spruce up the PS2 game than actually make a NEW game.
Old 10-11-2007, 10:25 AM   #7
Blu-ray Knight

Jul 2007

Eh...it's Capcom.

Capcom is one of 3 companies to ever make lots of money off of a Nintendo console (Nintendo, Capcom, Square-Enix).

This doesn't surprise me at all, and I'm surprised anyone considers it a big deal.

By the way, this move is about more than attach rates...by foregoing the graphics they are pumping out a much cheaper game so don't need to sell as much to recover their costs.

It does however convert it from a game I might buy to one I never will...the fact that I can't move around or lay down while playing a Wii game is a deal-breaker on a game like this, known for epic 30+ minute fights.
Old 10-11-2007, 12:07 PM   #8
Blu-ray Samurai

Jan 2007
Manchester, CT
Send a message via AIM to Musashi

If it's development costs that trouble them, why don't just delay the PS3 edition until some newer kits and tools arrive?
Old 10-11-2007, 12:22 PM   #9

May 2007
New York

Development costs is just an excuse. Instead of making a truly next-gen Monster Hunter, they would rather spend nothing and make all profit. There is nothing on the Wii right now, they put this out and Nintendo owners (especially in japan) have something to buy. Capcom is all about money, how many times have they ported the original Resident Evil? I have been a fan of theirs for years and I know they are greedy. This is why I am very mad about RE5, we are going to get a handicapped Xbox port. Instead of a full fledged game built from the ground up, meeting Ps3's specifications. So no worries let them be greedy we will probably get a port of MH3 on the PSP.
Old 10-11-2007, 12:53 PM   #10

Aug 2007

I've never heard of this game series. Oh, well.
Old 10-11-2007, 12:58 PM   #11
Blu-ray Guru

Jun 2007
MN

Ridiculous. I work at Target, and we sell just about as many Wii systems as games. People get the WiiPlay and maybe one of the Mario games, and then stop buying games for it.

Last edited by bkbluray; 10-11-2007 at 01:09 PM.
Old 10-11-2007, 01:48 PM   #12

Sep 2007
USA, greatest country on earth. PSN: TheBanditKing

Not surprising really. Capcom has been shitting on Playstation since Gamecube got Resident Evil. There is something going on between Sony and Capcom, but if you look at the past and present this announcement was just a matter of time. 360 got Dead Rising and Lost Planet exclusive plus a version of RE5 and now Devil May Cry. We got some great games from them but their devotion to the PS brand is over. It's a let down for sure as they would be nothing without the Playstation (breath of fire, Resident Evil,Devil May Cry, Onimusha all helped propel them to where they are today).

Loosing this game in Japan is a huge possible problem. I say possible because portable consoles rule Japan (Wii sales have been sinking steadly) and what is a big seller on PSP does not necessarily mean big seller on Wii. Keep in mind sports games and party games are big sellers but lets wait and see how people take to a MMO action game with waggle controls.

they showed one screen of the game and the visiuals looked extremely watered down, the game is crying for a true next gen machine. Oh well, we still have Konami, Namco, Square, Level 5, all of which are providing the PS3 with killer apps.
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Gaming > PlayStation > PS3