Best Blu-ray Movie Deals

Best Blu-ray Movie Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | New deals  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Australia Netherlands Japan Mexico
Spider-Man: No Way Home 4K (Blu-ray)
$35.95
1 day ago
The Green Planet 4K (Blu-ray)
$29.23
23 hrs ago
The Halloween 4K Collection (Blu-ray)
$104.99

The Lost Boys 4K (Blu-ray)
$25.99

Green Lantern: Beware My Power 4K (Blu-ray)
$19.99

Lost Highway 4K (Blu-ray)
$34.99

Red Dawn 4K (Blu-ray)
$25.99

Outlander: Season Six (Blu-ray)
$29.99

Where the Crawdads Sing (Blu-ray)
$24.99

The Return of the Living Dead 4K (Blu-ray)
$29.99

Dog Soldiers 4K (Blu-ray)
$25.89

Downton Abbey: A New Era 4K (Blu-ray)
$22.99

What's your next favorite movie?
Join our movie community to find out

Image from: Life of Pi (2012)

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Audio > Speakers

Old 01-15-2022, 12:10 PM   #1
Blu-ray Guru

Dec 2008
Rhode Island
Default Convert speakers to wireless setup

Does anyone have any suggestions for a good wireless transmitter/receiver combo for speakers? I can't use a wired connection for my surrounds anymore. Thanks!
Old 01-15-2022, 06:12 PM   #2
Blu-ray Ninja

Sep 2013
UK

I don't think there's a lot of options out there to retrofit speakers. It'd be a pain - you need to have a transmitter on the amp and a receiver and amp combo on the rear speakers (as they'd need powered still), extra power cables, etc. so sort of defeats the point!

IIRC of the proper AVRs, I think only Yamaha has really embraced the wireless option as I know there are AVR and wireless speaker combos you can buy, but these are made for that purpose and not a retrofit so it means buying all new wireless speakers of that brand as well as the compatible AVR.

I've had one personal experience of wireless rears (via the ZF9 soundbar) and they were a pain, as they'd often just cut out (I think WiFi and the like can interfere).
Old 01-15-2022, 07:22 PM   #3
Blu-ray Guru

Dec 2008
Rhode Island

Quote:
Originally Posted by oddbox83 View Post
I don't think there's a lot of options out there to retrofit speakers. It'd be a pain - you need to have a transmitter on the amp and a receiver and amp combo on the rear speakers (as they'd need powered still), extra power cables, etc. so sort of defeats the point!

IIRC of the proper AVRs, I think only Yamaha has really embraced the wireless option as I know there are AVR and wireless speaker combos you can buy, but these are made for that purpose and not a retrofit so it means buying all new wireless speakers of that brand as well as the compatible AVR.

I've had one personal experience of wireless rears (via the ZF9 soundbar) and they were a pain, as they'd often just cut out (I think WiFi and the like can interfere).
Yeah, I was looking at 4 Bluetooth transmitter/receivers and enlisting my 40-year-old Yamaha amp (on my TT at the moment) as power source for the surrounds. RCA splitters on the amp and everything. It was turning into a mess for $200 and questionable sound quality. All of the tech advice I saw said it's best to use physical wire.

So, I looked at it again and thought about it and decided to run the surround speaker wires to the speakers and it actually works pretty well. I was concerned about having wires on the floor in front of the patio door, but I can step over them. It's for a good cause. Everything is out of the way and isn't really even noticeable. I'm quite pleased actually. Not like I'm using the patio when it's 5 degrees out anyway. Didn't even need to change the lengths of the speaker wires. Same lengths as my old apartment. It's always better to at least make an attempt, I guess. See how she sounds for the rest of Dune 2021 tonight.
Old 01-16-2022, 12:12 AM   #4
Blu-ray Ninja

Sep 2013
UK

You could probably look into some trunking or even just adhesive cable tie pads for extra cable safety. I’ve used both, the latter being cheap and cheerful for simply stopping accidents! The former being the aesthetically pleasing one but at a little more cost and planning.
Thanks given by:
BluLobsta (01-16-2022)
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Audio > Speakers