Best Blu-ray Movie Deals

Top deals | New deals  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Japan
10 Cloverfield Lane 4K (Blu-ray)
$10.93
19 hrs ago
A Quiet Place (Blu-ray)
$9.81

Grave of the Fireflies (Blu-ray)
$7.99
10 hrs ago
Seven Heavenly Virtues: Complete Collection (Blu-ray)
$7.99

Avengers: Infinity War 4K (Blu-ray)
$22.34

Smallfoot (Blu-ray)
$22.95

Isle of Dogs (Blu-ray)
$13.96

The Glenn Miller Story (Blu-ray)
$15.57

Bohemian Rhapsody (Blu-ray)
$19.96

Dr. Seuss' The Grinch (Blu-ray)
$22.99

Harry Potter: Complete 8-Film Collection (Blu-ray)
$39.96

Miller's Crossing (Blu-ray)
$5.99

What's your next favorite movie?
Join our movie community to find out

Image from: Life of Pi (2012)

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Audio > Speakers

Old 05-04-2018, 12:49 AM   #1
Power Member

Aug 2007
Los Angeles, CA
Default Want to Upgrade my L/C/R speakers.

Hi guys!

I recently upgraded my receiver to a Denon AVRX1400H for my 4K OLED, but now I'd love to replace my old Polk speakers with something better. At the moment I'm rocking just a 3.1 setup, so I'd like to just replace those three speakers (sub is fine). Money isn't so much of an issue as space, so I'm wondering if there's anything in the smaller range that would pack a decent punch.

Right now I have two Polk RM7s and an RM7 center I believe. I like the size of them since my TV is right behind the center speaker, and would love to get something similar, but can go bigger if absolutely need be. It's been such a long time since I've looked into audio products so I really dont know what I'm doing.

I love watching movies, playing PS4, and listening to the occasional LP. Any recommendations (doesn't have to be Polk) or help would be sincerely appreciated. Thanks!

JTS
Old 05-10-2018, 08:56 PM   #2

May 2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by JTStarkiller View Post
Hi guys!

I recently upgraded my receiver to a Denon AVRX1400H for my 4K OLED, but now I'd love to replace my old Polk speakers with something better. At the moment I'm rocking just a 3.1 setup, so I'd like to just replace those three speakers (sub is fine). Money isn't so much of an issue as space, so I'm wondering if there's anything in the smaller range that would pack a decent punch.

Right now I have two Polk RM7s and an RM7 center I believe. I like the size of them since my TV is right behind the center speaker, and would love to get something similar, but can go bigger if absolutely need be. It's been such a long time since I've looked into audio products so I really dont know what I'm doing.

I love watching movies, playing PS4, and listening to the occasional LP. Any recommendations (doesn't have to be Polk) or help would be sincerely appreciated. Thanks!

JTS

I'm happy to hear that you are upgrading...what exactly is your budget for all 3 speakers? I'd be happy to help if possible..

Cheers,

KD
Thanks given by:
JTStarkiller (05-16-2018)
Old 05-11-2018, 06:40 PM   #3
Power Member

Aug 2007
Los Angeles, CA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krelldog1977 View Post
I'm happy to hear that you are upgrading...what exactly is your budget for all 3 speakers? I'd be happy to help if possible..

Cheers,

KD
Sorry, I missed this yesterday. Thanks! Money isn't too much of an issue. I'm just curious what's out there that would be a solid improvement over my Polk RMs. Again, space is a little more of a concern, as I'd like to keep them on my entertainment unit and not in the way of the TV. But if trading up to bigger speakers is the only solution, I might be able to make that work.
Old 05-16-2018, 05:09 PM   #4

Jul 2009
Indiana

Are you thinking 3 bookshelves or 2 bookshelves and a center? No towers right? What are size limits? You should have a budget in mind because there are 6 figure speakers so just say a price. If it is just for movies and gaming you may want to upgrade your subwoofer as part of the budget and just use bookshelf speakers and a center for those 3. I look at speaker sites all the time and currently have a list of brands I am comparing that offer nice center and surround channels. They all have bookshelf speakers and nice matching center channels. How how & wide can your center channel be? Some like SVS have a trial period.

Ascend Acoustics make great small speakers, I chose the Luna's over Kef LS50's & Focal Aria 905's after listening to all 3 for near-field use.
Focal
Paradigm
Revel
Legacy Audio - not small
Usher Audio
Bower and Wilkins
Monitor Audio
Sonus Faber
Aurum cantus
KEF
SVS
Triangle
Elac
Sonus Faber
Swan
PSB
Martin Logan
Dynaudio
Salk Sound
Aerial Acoustics
Dali
RBH
Bryston
Axiom
Vandersteen
Tekton
Klipsch
Philharmonics
Acoustic Zen
Wharfedale
JBL
Thanks given by:
Old 05-16-2018, 07:46 PM   #5
Power Member

Aug 2007
Los Angeles, CA

Thanks for the tip. Okay let's say $1500. Definitely not towers for my current setup. My current Polks are small, maybe 7" tall? All three speakers are on the same entertainment unit as my TV, so that's why I preferred smaller if possible, so they don't get in the way of the screen. Everything is in a little nook in my living room so there's not a ton of space on the sides, but I'd be open to bigger speakers if my Polks are the best I can get at that size. Sorry, I'm completely ignorant when it comes to speakers.
Old 05-16-2018, 07:51 PM   #6
Banned

Dec 2010
-

check out HTD.com . really fantastic company with excellent products. I have their Level 3 series and haven't had any itch to upgrade since owning
Thanks given by:
Old 05-17-2018, 12:07 PM   #7

Jul 2009
Indiana

The Polks you have are satellite speakers and pretty small, but there a lot of good bookshelfs that are 10" high. Is 7" high good on the center channel speaker? Have you thought about getting a different stand or wall mounting your tv to make more room? What kind of width is there in this nook? Even a $1200 sound bar would be an improvement in sound.

SVSound.com prime speakers and SVS also has a cylinder subwoofer that would be a big upgrade over what you have and take up little room. Get prime satellites, center, and a pc-2000 cylinder sub all for $1400. Svs also has great customer service and if you do not like them for some reason you can return them.

Look at Q Acoustics, they are a great value. https://www.qacoustics.com/bookshelf-speakers.html
https://www.qacoustics.com/home-thea...soundbars.html
https://www.qacoustics.com/home-thea...l-speaker.html

I believe those 2 all have soft dome tweeters, for a hard dome tweeter you could look at Focals and KEFs. And if you want a ribbon tweeter try ascendacoustics.com or philharmonic audio. All these brands in this post should match your size and cost limits. You will have the best experience if you get an SVS or JL subwoofer for $700 or $800 and spend the rest on the 3 speakers. I have a Rythmik F12 sealed sub in a small space and listen near field. It is awesome. For SVS subs a sb1000 takes up a 13" cube of space, a sb2000 takes up a 15" cube and a pc2000 takes up 16.6" circle and it is a ported design to better match your movies. With JL you can get even smaller 8" or 10" subwoofers but at a higher cost per inch woofer. You could go all SVS and be happy with it, or go SVS 12" sub and a different brand of speakers. Let us know what you choose!
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Audio > Speakers