Best Blu-ray Movie Deals

Best Blu-ray Movie Deals, See All the Deals »

Top deals | New deals  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Japan
Ralph Breaks the Internet (Blu-ray)
$24.99
13 hrs ago
Glass 4K (Blu-ray)
$27.95

Spider-Man: Into the Spider-Verse 4K (Blu-ray)
$29.99

BlacKkKlansman (Blu-ray)
$12.99
47 min ago
Bumblebee 4K (Blu-ray)
$24.99

Robin Hood 4K (Blu-ray)
$24.99

Robin Hood (Blu-ray)
$19.99

Split (Blu-ray)
$6.99
3 hrs ago
Creed II 4K (Blu-ray)
$29.99

Upgrade (Blu-ray)
$12.99
2 hrs ago
Creed II (Blu-ray)
$25.49

The Girl in the Spider's Web (Blu-ray)
$19.95

What's your next favorite movie?
Join our movie community to find out

Image from: Life of Pi (2012)

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Audio > Speakers

Old 06-05-2018, 01:08 AM   #1
Blu-ray Guru

May 2009
Wild Wild West
Default Height Speakers for Atmos

I recently upgraded my AVR to an Onkyo 656 with Dolby Atmos & DTS:X support and want to add some height audio affect to my 7.1 speaker setup.

The attached pic is my layout. I currently have Front R&L and Rear R&L in the 4 corners, mounted about 1.5 times my sitting ear level. Tower surround speakers on the floor to the sides of my seating area, and center speaker on the front wall at abbout 2' and subwoofer on the floor behind the TV.

My Onkyo AVR aupports 8 channels, I currently have it configured for 7.1: Front R&L, Center, Sub, Surround R&L and Rear R&L. The speaker connection on the AVR for Rear R&L can also be set to Height for Atmos. I tired that and prefer Rear R&L

The ceiling is vaulted, going from 8' on the rear wall to 10' on the front wall. But right over my seating area is another high ceiling a "gable" that is 10', 2' higher than the surrounding ceiling. Think and upside down "V". Instead of ceiling speakers mounted flush in the ceiling I'm thinking two bookshelf speakers mounted on a screw as they would be pointing down about a 45 degrees. Would I run wires to them from the surround speaker connection, or Rear surround?

The other option I'm considering is instead using 2 upward Atmos speakers on top of the R&L Front speakers. Would Front R&L speaker connections from my front speakers give adequate height sound?

I hope this makes sense.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg HomeTheater.jpg (23.3 KB, 38 views)
Old 06-06-2018, 12:02 AM   #2

Feb 2010

If your ceiling placement will allow the speakers to be aimed at or close to the main listening position, I would suggest that option. And yes, hook them up to the rear surround option and set them up as Top Middle in the receiver. Trying to bounce sound off of an angled ceiling like yours more than likely will not get you the desired result. Let us know how it works out.
Thanks given by:
samlop10 (06-06-2018), Scarriere (06-06-2018)
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Audio > Speakers