Best Blu-ray Movie Deals

Best Blu-ray Movie Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | Price drops  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Japan
Rampage (Blu-ray)
$9.99

Paul, Apostle of Christ (Blu-ray)
$14.96

Universal Classic Monsters: Complete 30-Film Collection (Blu-ray)
$115.96

The Equalizer 2 (Blu-ray)
$26.34

The Invisible Man: Complete Legacy Collection (Blu-ray)
$18.99

Chappaquiddick (Blu-ray)
$14.99

Halloween 4K (Blu-ray)
$13.00

Hook 4K (Blu-ray)
$17.99
4 hrs ago
A Star Is Born (Blu-ray)
$24.99

Mission: Impossible - Fallout (Blu-ray)
$19.99

A Star Is Born 4K (Blu-ray)
$29.99

Venom 4K (Blu-ray)
$29.99

What's your next favorite movie?
Join our movie community to find out

Image from: Life of Pi (2012)

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Blu-ray Movies - North America

Old 11-03-2011, 03:37 AM   #41
Power Member

Aug 2010

And film restoration expert Robert Harris doesn't like the way it looks at all.
Old 11-03-2011, 03:39 AM   #42
Banned

Jul 2007
Hollywood

Quote:
Originally Posted by charlieray1 View Post
Blu-ray.com gave it 4.5 for PQ and praised it's excellent detail. I suspect that you are in the minority on this one.
They gave Patton 5 stars as well, so that pretty much kills that. That was also before people really knew the raw deal about overuse of DNR. Regardless of what your opinion is, it does NOT look film like and has been scrubbed of most of its natural grain. That's not opinion, that's fact. You can like it, but it's not indicative of how the film SHOULD look.

Read Robert Harris' comments, which I already posted. He's a little more in-the-know than blu-ray.com.
Old 11-03-2011, 12:18 PM   #43
Blu-ray Guru

Jan 2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by bgart13 View Post
DVD Talk has a review with a picture:

http://www.dvdtalk.com/reviews/51887...onderful-life/
Thanks for that I will be picking this up now that I see it includes a blu-ray case and the discs are not packaged in a cheap cardboard casing
Old 11-03-2011, 12:49 PM   #44
Power Member

Nov 2008
Victorville, CA

Quote:
Originally Posted by bgart13 View Post
And film restoration expert Robert Harris doesn't like the way it looks at all.
I read his comments -- and there's no denying that Robert Harris is a respected reviewer -- but I couldn't find another bad review of it. Blu-ray.com, Digital Bits, DVD Verdict, DVD Savant, DVD Town, Hi Fi Digest, DVD Beaver and Hi Def Disc News all gave it very high scores.

Hi-Fi Digest mentions the DNR: "Grain has been reduced, but not to the degree that it eliminates the picture's celluloid feel. The image maintains a lovely natural texture throughout, distinguished by gloriously rich black levels and perfectly modulated whites. Fine details are easily distinguishable (the falling snow looks especially good) and shadow delineation is excellent, too."

DVD Beaver quoted Robert Harris, but still called it "dual-layered, progressive and as pristine as one could have hoped for on this format . . . Good news is the transfer is superior . . . Contrast in the back and white version is extremely strong and may have some minor boosting of blacks and less grain that I would have anticipated. Zooming in extensively I couldn't find concrete or consistent examples of edge-enhancement."

They do agree with him though on some things: "RE: Robert's comments - via the higher resolution this looks sharper with superior contrast than the DVDs - but I suppose this is good news if he thinks it can look better as... maybe it will one day. He's right that being such a 'staple' - Paramount shouldn't have limited their budget and 'rescanned' - just like the audio not getting an HD treatment."

Over-all though, this just doesn't seem like the disaster that Robert Harris describes. I admit, he knows far more about film restoration that I ever will, and it could probably be even better, but I really wish all "bad" transfers looked like this.

Last edited by charlieray1; 11-03-2011 at 11:08 PM.
Old 11-03-2011, 06:41 PM   #45
Power Member

May 2010
-

I just got mine, and I am a little disappointed. It comes in a flimsy cardboard box with some kind of soft white felt on the outside which I guess is supposed to be snow. The discs are packaged in a normal blu-ray case, which is fine. The ornament is just a little bell that says 'It's a Wonderful Life,' and the collectable booklet is more of a pamphlet. In fact, it's so small that I thought I was missing it. I guess I was expecting a blu-ray digibook or something like that. In my opinion, they just should have done a digibook instead of monkeying around with all that other crap. For me, this thankfully isn't a double dip, but if you already have it on blu, then just keep the one that you have and buy something else!
Old 11-07-2011, 03:23 PM   #46

Nov 2010

I saw this release at best buy. It looked cheap so I passed. And sure enough it's the same disc as the one from 2009, I believe -- so the audio's a DD track.

This is another major miss by the big studios. A respected and wildly popular, beloved classic that gets budget treatment. It's amazing these people still have jobs! There's plenty of examples of how to exploit films that are both loved and respected -- Wizard of Oz, Gone With the Wind, etc. Amazing.

I don't particularly want or need a UCE of this movie (at least not like Oz -- but, maybe like Citizen Kane)...but this film is clearly UCE worthy. I wonder why it's getting the dis.

Now -- the best solution would be to let Criterion have a crack at this. That would be awesome.

Old 11-07-2011, 03:51 PM   #47
Blu-ray Ninja

Sep 2010
Redlands, CA

still expensive
Old 11-07-2011, 08:57 PM   #48

Feb 2011
LaGrange, GA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boob-Ray View Post
Now -- the best solution would be to let Criterion have a crack at this. That would be awesome.

This was part of the Criterion LaserDisc collection, so they would probably be interested in doing a BD if they could get the rights. I agree, it would be awesome.
Old 11-07-2011, 09:04 PM   #49
Blu-ray Duke

Sep 2008
Montreal
Send a message via Yahoo to P@t_Mtl

I doubt would let them have the rights now, different days then when only Laserdisc and VHS was around.
Old 11-07-2011, 11:28 PM   #50

Feb 2011
LaGrange, GA

Quote:
Originally Posted by P@t_Mtl View Post
I doubt would let them have the rights now, different days then when only Laserdisc and VHS was around.
Also, the film was in the public domain back then. Every television channel showed it at least once during the Christmas season, before NBC got the exclusive rights.
Old 11-08-2011, 12:06 AM   #51
Blu-ray Grand Duke

May 2010
Columbia, MD
-
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boob-Ray View Post
I saw this release at best buy. It looked cheap so I passed. And sure enough it's the same disc as the one from 2009, I believe -- so the audio's a DD track.

This is another major miss by the big studios. A respected and wildly popular, beloved classic that gets budget treatment. It's amazing these people still have jobs! There's plenty of examples of how to exploit films that are both loved and respected -- Wizard of Oz, Gone With the Wind, etc. Amazing.

I don't particularly want or need a UCE of this movie (at least not like Oz -- but, maybe like Citizen Kane)...but this film is clearly UCE worthy. I wonder why it's getting the dis.

I, very much, agree! I've got about 500 other titles I'd like Criterion to get their hands on!
Old 11-26-2011, 02:34 PM   #52

Dec 2010
Ontario, Canada

Does the 2009 version have a slipcase? I was at Best Buy (Canada) and it didn't have a slipcase.
Old 11-23-2012, 01:06 AM   #53
Blu-ray Guru

Sep 2011
Calgary, AB, Canada

Just picked this up. Thought I was gonna ditch the shadowbox packaging, but didn't realize it's got a velvet texture to it. Will be keeping the box now.
Old 11-23-2012, 01:16 AM   #54

Mar 2012

Well, I have no idea what version I have, but whatever it is it doesn't come up in Bluray.com's database.
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Blu-ray Movies - North America