Best Blu-ray Movie Deals

Best Blu-ray Movie Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | New deals  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Australia Japan
Universal Classic Monsters: The Essential Collection (Blu-ray)
$29.99
15 hrs ago
Shrek: The Ultimate Collection (Blu-ray)
$17.99
15 hrs ago
The Marx Brothers Silver Screen Collection (Blu-ray)
$14.99
15 hrs ago
Knives Out 4K (Blu-ray)
$24.99

E.T.: The Extra-Terrestrial 4K (Blu-ray)
$9.99

Apocalypse Now 4K (Blu-ray)
$13.27

Back to the Future: 30th Anniversary Trilogy (Blu-ray)
$16.99
15 hrs ago
Friday the 13th: 8-Movie Collection (Blu-ray)
$12.99

Dredd 4K (Blu-ray)
$9.99
20 hrs ago
Planet Earth II and Blue Planet II: The Collection 4K (Blu-ray)
$29.99

Batman Beyond: The Complete Series (Blu-ray)
$60.99

Chucky: The Complete 7-Movie Collection (Blu-ray)
$19.99
15 hrs ago
What's your next favorite movie?
Join our movie community to find out

Image from: Life of Pi (2012)

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Blu-ray > Blu-ray Technology and Future Technology

Old 09-19-2019, 05:21 PM   #17821
Blu-ray Ninja

Sep 2011
End of the line

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steedeel View Post
But that’s not a healthy situation. People are fanatical about superheroes. What happens hen thy fizzle out? That’s the question I want to see the answer to.

Is it a trend thing that will transition to other genres (like some of MR Pitt’s film buddies think) or will film fizzle out (Brad’s own fears I believe). We won’t find out for a while. However, with Disney looking to tie in theatrical stories with tv episodes. The shape of things to come.
You mean if they fizzle out.

If one fad dies, another will replace it. Nature, and business, both abhor a vacuum.

Comic book movies are not the only ones showing at the cinema. Plenty of popular derivative horror movies are out there, too. Movies with men and women cavorting about in brightly colored spandex and movies with demonically possessed dolls; it is a film renaissance!

Movies are doing just fine; they are not going to disappear.
Old 09-19-2019, 05:25 PM   #17822
Blu-ray Archduke

Apr 2011
England

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vilya View Post
You mean if they fizzle out.

If one fad dies, another will replace it. Nature, and business, both abhor a vacuum.

Comic book movies are not the only ones showing at the cinema. Plenty of popular derivative horror movies are out there, too. Movies with men and women cavorting about in brightly colored spandex and movies with demonically possessed dolls; it is a film renaissance!

Movies are doing just fine; they are not going to disappear.
Let Brad know as well.

Seriously though, I just think all this Quibi stuff (short form streaming service) combined with 5G and shortened attention spans is the perfect storm. With luck, this shift will not happen entirely in my lifetime.
Old 09-19-2019, 05:25 PM   #17823
Blu-ray Ninja

Sep 2011
End of the line

I love film as much as anyone could. I do not have to be needlessly worried about them in order to prove that love.

There is no objective evidence to indicate that movies are in any peril and thus there is no objective reason for me to be concerned. I do not worry without cause.

I love movies and I am care free about their future.
Old 09-19-2019, 05:27 PM   #17824
Blu-ray Archduke

Apr 2011
England

Quote:
I love film as much as anyone could. I do not have to be needlessly worried about them in order to prove that love.

There is no objective evidence to indicate that movies are in any peril and thus there is no objective reason for me to be concerned. I do not worry without cause.

I love movies and I am care free about their future.
WouldŁ love some of whatever you are drinking. Would do me good.
Old 09-19-2019, 05:28 PM   #17825
Blu-ray Ninja

Sep 2011
End of the line

Quote:
Let Brad know as well.
When I can get James Cameron to leave my home, I will invite Brad over for a stay.

Brad is not so much worried as he is contemplative, but if I sense that he is anxiety ridden I will serve him some nice soothing chamomile tea.
Thanks given by:
Steedeel (09-19-2019)
Old 09-19-2019, 05:29 PM   #17826
Blu-ray Ninja

Sep 2011
End of the line

Quote:
WouldŁ love some of whatever you are drinking. Would do me good.
Sorry, but it doesn't mix well with your Koolaid.
Old 09-19-2019, 05:35 PM   #17827
Blu-ray Archduke

Apr 2011
England

Quote:
When I can get James Cameron to leave my home, I will invite Brad over for a stay.

Brad is not so much worried as he is contemplative, but if I sense that he is anxiety ridden I will serve him some nice soothing chamomile tea.
I might invite his ex over to mine. I wonder if Jennifer likes custard slices?
Old 09-19-2019, 05:41 PM   #17828
Blu-ray Ninja

Sep 2011
End of the line

Quote:
Seriously though, I just think all this Quibi stuff (short form streaming service) combined with 5G and shortened attention spans is the perfect storm. With luck, this shift will not happen entirely in my lifetime.
There are no shortened attention spans. Science has already rendered its verdict on the subject and your insistence otherwise in no way refutes the scientific community. Only alchav is more consistently obstinate in the face of overwhelming facts than you are.

Verizon's Go90 service was similar to Quibi and it failed completely. Even if Quibi is successful, it is just another provider of what we already have: short subjects. The existence of Quibi, whether short or long lived, is not a threat to anything. It is just another option among many options.
Old 09-19-2019, 05:42 PM   #17829
Blu-ray Archduke

Apr 2011
England

Quote:
There are no shortened attention spans. Science has already rendered its verdict on the subject and your insistence otherwise in no way refutes the scientific community. Only alchav is more consistently obstinate in the face of overwhelming facts than you are.

Verizon's Go90 service was similar to Quibi and it failed completely. Even if Quibi is successful, it is just another provider of what we already have: short subjects. There is existence, whether short or long lived, is not a threat to anything. It is just another option among many options.
Brad also thinks attention spans are shortening.
Old 09-19-2019, 05:42 PM   #17830
Blu-ray Ninja

Sep 2011
End of the line

Quote:
I might invite his ex over to mine. I wonder if Jennifer likes custard slices?
She prefers cherry pie and a cup of joe.
Old 09-19-2019, 05:44 PM   #17831
Blu-ray Ninja

Sep 2011
End of the line

Quote:
Brad also thinks attention spans are shortening.
It doesn't matter if he does.

Brad Pitt is not a scientist and he is not qualified to speak as an expert on the subject. Opinions, even those of celebrities, do not override facts.
Old 09-19-2019, 05:44 PM   #17832
Blu-ray Archduke

Apr 2011
England

Quote:
She prefers cherry pie and a cup of joe.
I would be very accommodating.
Old 09-19-2019, 05:46 PM   #17833
Blu-ray Archduke

Apr 2011
England

Quote:
It doesn't matter if he does; Brad Pitt is not a scientist and he has not researched the subject. Opinions, even those of celebrities, do not override facts.
He knows his films does Brad. Just like me.
Old 09-19-2019, 05:50 PM   #17834
Blu-ray Ninja

Sep 2011
End of the line

Quote:
He knows his films does Brad. Just like me.
Having film knowledge does not make one an expert on human cognition.

I can carve a mean jack-o-lantern; let me know if you ever need me to perform any surgeries. I'll cut you one helluva deal.
Old 09-19-2019, 05:55 PM   #17835
Blu-ray Archduke

Apr 2011
England

Quote:
Having film knowledge does not make one an expert on human cognition.

I can carve a mean jack-o-lantern; let me know if you ever need me to perform any surgeries. I'll cut you one helluva deal.
He has s better than most understanding of the film industry though.
Old 09-19-2019, 05:58 PM   #17836
Blu-ray Ninja

Sep 2011
End of the line

Quote:
He has s better than most understanding of the film industry though.
Is anyone disputing that?

It does not mean that his concerns for the future of movies will come to pass; he himself has acknowledged as much. His speculation and contemplation are not the same things as your fear and

I am offering 50% off of all frontal lobotomies this month; act fast to reserve yours! I have a new melon baller that I want to try out.

Last edited by Vilya; 09-19-2019 at 06:10 PM.
Old 09-20-2019, 12:54 AM   #17837
Blu-ray Guru

Apr 2009
ST George, Utah

Hollywood starts getting Tunnel Vision and also worries about cost and profits of Movies. I guess for good reason, to make some money. What ever sells goes to the top of the list, and right now it's Super Heroes. I liked the first ones, but this over-kill is too much. Did you guys hear, the next Star Trek might be Directed by Quentin Tarantino….Make it Bloody!

Last edited by alchav21; 09-20-2019 at 03:53 AM.
Old 09-20-2019, 12:58 AM   #17838
Blu-ray Archduke

Apr 2011
England

Quote:
Originally Posted by alchav21 View Post
Hollywood starts getting Tunnel Vision and also worries about cost and profits of Movies. I guess for good reason, to make some money. What ever sells goes to the top of the list, and right now it's Super Heroes. I liked the first ones, but this over-kill is too much. Did you guys hear, the next Star Trek might be Directed with Quentin Taratino….Make it Bloody!
I would love to see QT direct Trek. ‘Phasers, set to stun those *********’ !
Old 09-20-2019, 04:15 AM   #17839
Blu-ray Knight

Dec 2010
Deep in the heart of NE Texas

At the risk of damaging our uneasy alliance I think you (and a few others) let your fear of loss control too much of your movie viewing experience Steedeel. Not to mention let others opinions affect where you think film is headed. Take for example this whole Brad Pitt situation. Vilya posted the link about that a week or so ago and it didn’t even register with you until you read it yesterday.

Then you picked apart the interview to suit your fear of the future. Which is just bleak. Film will continue to flourish and transition as it always has. No matter how it is presented. So chill, get some snacks, pull out your newest movie and enjoy knowing you have it in the format or your choosing
Old 09-20-2019, 09:59 AM   #17840
Blu-ray Archduke

Apr 2011
England

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Donster View Post
At the risk of damaging our uneasy alliance I think you (and a few others) let your fear of loss control too much of your movie viewing experience Steedeel. Not to mention let others opinions affect where you think film is headed. Take for example this whole Brad Pitt situation. Vilya posted the link about that a week or so ago and it didn’t even register with you until you read it yesterday.

Then you picked apart the interview to suit your fear of the future. Which is just bleak. Film will continue to flourish and transition as it always has. No matter how it is presented. So chill, get some snacks, pull out your newest movie and enjoy knowing you have it in the format or your choosing
To be fair, I did reply at the time he posted. The only reason I brought it up is that I had been reading a film magazine and the article was an interview with Brad Pitt. I posted several times a week ago.

Also, the interview (in the link I provided) matched up (in my opinion) with what I have been saying about two hour films becoming too much of a challenge for attention deficit youngsters Possibly. That is very significant and s major potential issue.

For me, it will be very telling to see the box office numbers for next year. We don’t have many Marvel films (if any) and no Star Wars. In other words, is it just superhero fanatics that are propping up the business and will it lose millions when they are not available? Its only going to be one year but it will be interesting.

I bring this up because Pitt also alluded to the huge tent pole/event movies and how the middle budget films seem to ha e been squeezed out of the picture. (No pun intended). I think that middle area is where a lot of the creative irk comes from. With a fair budget, the film makers can project their vision and back it up with a great story. The trend though, is just big big big and it doesn’t seem sustainable to me over many years.

I think Pitt also wondered if we go all out with streaming or do people still want the communal big screen as well in the future? He brought up some very good points (as I have done) but he is a mega rich film actor and I am a guy from the North East Of England lol. He won't be mocked for his comments, I will. It’s a strange world.

Last edited by Steedeel; 09-20-2019 at 10:11 AM.
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Blu-ray > Blu-ray Technology and Future Technology