Best Blu-ray Movie Deals

Best Blu-ray Movie Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | New deals  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Australia Netherlands Japan Mexico
Clint Eastwood: The Universal Pictures 7-Movie Collection (Blu-ray)
$22.00
1 day ago
Scott Pilgrim vs. the World 4K (Blu-ray)
$16.99
11 hrs ago
One Crazy Summer (Blu-ray)
$17.29
17 hrs ago
The Goonies 4K (Blu-ray)
$12.99

Godzilla vs. Kong 4K (Blu-ray)
$29.35
40 min ago
Beetlejuice 4K (Blu-ray)
$12.99

Parks and Recreation: The Complete Series (Blu-ray)
$58.10

A Quiet Place Part II 4K (Blu-ray)
$24.70
17 hrs ago
A Clockwork Orange 4K (Blu-ray)
$26.99

Indiana Jones: 4-Movie Collection 4K (Blu-ray)
$63.50

Scarface 4K (Blu-ray)
$9.99

Audrey Hepburn: 7-Movie Collection (Blu-ray)
$49.99
1 day ago
What's your next favorite movie?
Join our movie community to find out

Image from: Life of Pi (2012)

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Home Theater > Home Theater General Discussion

Old 07-20-2021, 03:21 PM   #121
Special Member

Nov 2018
UK

Quote:
Originally Posted by oddbox83 View Post
EDIT: You've definitely tried it at forced 4K resolution rather than auto, right?
I set it to 4K after people here suggested it wasn't working because I had it on Auto so in terms of player picture settings yes it's on 4K. Have tried lower settings as well but no difference.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chip75 View Post
Have you any other BD discs that have 4:3 SD material on them, something like Spearhead from Space?
Firmware is up to up date. As mentioned I already tried Season 14 which has Robots of Death and Talons of Weng-Chiang. Same issues. Widescreen material is fine but 4:3 extras just appear as a black screen. Again the episodes which are 4:3 are unaffected by this. The Deadly Assassin for example plays fine.

Quote:
On the screenshot of the onscreen display when playing the problematic footage, if says the source is 50i, which is correct, but says HDMI output is 4K 60p? That can't be right, so something is amiss there.
I changed that when Panson and you requested it wasn't necessary and keep it to 4:2:2 as asked. As I said BBC refuse to help me as it's not a problem with the discs. No one else has mentioned this issue. Kind of pointless contacting Panasonic as they go through a script and this is far too technical for to figure out.

Quote:
Under (with your 450) HDMI>Advance Settings>25p/50p Output, what have you got?
When I go to Advance Settings there's no 25p/50p Output. I have:

- Colour Mode - YCbCr (Automatic)
- Deep Color Output - Auto (12bit Priority)
- HDR/Colour Gamut Output - HDR/BT.2020 (Auto)
-SDR/HDR Conv. (Network Service) - On
- HLG/PQ Conversion - Off
- HDR TV Type - Middle or High Luminance
- HDCP Output Setting - Automatic
- Contents Type Flag - Automatic
- Audio Output - On
- 7.1ch Audio Reformatting - Automatic

My TV is Samsung TU7100 Crystal UHD 4K HDR Smart TV.
Thanks given by:
chip75 (07-20-2021)
Old 07-20-2021, 03:30 PM   #122
Special Member

Nov 2018
UK

Have you guys ever thought maybe because connecting my 4K cable to my TV has disabled the ability to select 4:3 that this is why the player is not able to present 4:3 for the extra features?

UPDATE: Actually I can change the TV picture to 4:3 but only by disabling 4K and switching to something like 1080p on the player. Stuff like Zoom is still disabled on the TV so no change there.

Last edited by pferreira; 07-20-2021 at 03:52 PM.
Old 07-20-2021, 05:59 PM   #123
Blu-ray Archduke

Oct 2010
Wales

Quote:
Originally Posted by pferreira View Post
Have you guys ever thought maybe because connecting my 4K cable to my TV has disabled the ability to select 4:3 that this is why the player is not able to present 4:3 for the extra features?

UPDATE: Actually I can change the TV picture to 4:3 but only by disabling 4K and switching to something like 1080p on the player. Stuff like Zoom is still disabled on the TV so no change there.
It's blocking aspect ratio changes when you output 4K (and 16:9 content).

Can you try some other BDs with 4:3 content? something older than the Who sets?

I'll try and see if I can find a file you can download that's something you can test. It would be on the Spears & Munsil disc, but that's probably not much help.
Old 07-20-2021, 11:04 PM   #124

Feb 2021

Quote:

The fly-in-the-ointment may be your TV Picture Size Settings. If possible, try the following.

Picture Size: 16:9 Standard

Fit To Screen: OFF

Zoom and Position: OFF

Related:

https://technastic.com/samsung-tv-pi...not-available/

Good luck.
Old 07-21-2021, 11:18 AM   #125
Power Member

Dec 2009
Indiana

Quote:
Originally Posted by Panson View Post
The fly-in-the-ointment may be your TV Picture Size Settings. If possible, try the following.

Zoom and Position: OFF

Related:

https://technastic.com/samsung-tv-pi...not-available/

Good luck.
I feel like "Fit to Screen" should be "On" since that is the overscan setting. When off, the screen can cut some of the picture off. But when "On," It shows the full picture exactly how it's intended.
Old 07-21-2021, 12:53 PM   #126
Special Member

Nov 2018
UK

Quote:
It's blocking aspect ratio changes when you output 4K (and 16:9 content).
Quote:

Zoom and Position: OFF.
To clarify while turning off 4K on the player does allow me to select 4:3 on my TV I still don't get see those 4:3 extra features. It's possible the player still blocks the TV settings, I'm not sure. Also even in 4:3 the Zoom and Fit to Screen functions are still greyed out. Remember this thread started off because I found out my player had no 4:3 option to select, only on the TV. I still can't fathom what makes the episodes themselves different that they still play without issues.

Quote:
Can you try some other BDs with 4:3 content? something older than the Who sets?
I tried Mystery Men, Krull and Ghostbusters standard blu-rays and all 4:3 extras work absolutely fine. Could try the Alien Anthology boxset as that has lots of SD content but don't have access to it right now. From what I've tried however it seems this issue only affects Classic Doctor Who boxsets. It would be nice in the people in charge of the authoring of the discs were made aware of this. Unfortunately I don't have contact with anyone working on the sets to ask them.
Old 07-21-2021, 01:21 PM   #127
Blu-ray Archduke

Oct 2010
Wales

Quote:
I tried Mystery Men, Krull and Ghostbusters standard blu-rays and all 4:3 extras work absolutely fine. Could try the Alien Anthology boxset as that has lots of SD content but don't have access to it right now. From what I've tried however it seems this issue only affects Classic Doctor Who boxsets. It would be nice in the people in charge of the authoring of the discs were made aware of this. Unfortunately I don't have contact with anyone working on the sets to ask them.
It sounds like there's an issue between the discs and the player (as the discs play fine on your parents' Sony player).

Can you change your player's resolution to it's lowest setting? and try the Doctor Who discs?
Old 07-21-2021, 03:16 PM   #128

Feb 2021

Quote:
Originally Posted by PUsokrJosh305 View Post
I feel like "Fit to Screen" should be "On" since that is the overscan setting. When off, the screen can cut some of the picture off. But when "On," It shows the full picture exactly how it's intended.
IMO full picture is just an exaggerated option. Anyway, we can't really know what'll work for the OP's pleasure, because his TV has grayed-out choices. Almost seems like Samsung is forcing settings on customers. Strange.

Over and out for good, I've tried. Cheers.
Old 07-21-2021, 06:40 PM   #129
Blu-ray Archduke

Oct 2010
Wales

Quote:
IMO full picture is just an exaggerated option. Anyway, we can't really know what'll work for the OP's pleasure, because his TV has grayed-out choices. Almost seems like Samsung is forcing settings on customers. Strange.
Fit to Screen or Full Picture is just Samsung's 1:1 setting without overscan, you generally want to enable it to avoid unnecessary scaling.
Thanks given by:
PUsokrJosh305 (07-21-2021)
Old 07-21-2021, 11:52 PM   #130
Power Member

Dec 2009
Indiana

Quote:
Fit to Screen or Full Picture is just Samsung's 1:1 setting without overscan, you generally want to enable it to avoid unnecessary scaling.
Yep! They have been wording that for years. I would have called it Overscan Prevention or True Picture, which would make more sense. But that's just me.
Thanks given by:
chip75 (07-21-2021)
Old 07-22-2021, 06:00 PM   #131
Special Member

Nov 2018
UK

Quote:
It sounds like there's an issue between the discs and the player (as the discs play fine on your parents' Sony player).

Can you change your player's resolution to it's lowest setting? and try the Doctor Who discs?
That was one of the first things I did with no results. I wonder if anybody else has had this issue?

I must say it certainly does seem to be an incompatibility issue with the DW discs. As I said other 1080p discs with SD 4:3 extra content play fine. The people behind the DW discs seem to have authored the discs in a way that's preventing compatible output. It's possible the reason the episodes are unaffected is because they're HD remasters/upscales while the other 4:3 stuff isn't.
Old 07-22-2021, 06:32 PM   #132
Blu-ray Archduke

Oct 2010
Wales

Quote:
That was one of the first things I did with no results. I wonder if anybody else has had this issue?

I must say it certainly does seem to be an incompatibility issue with the DW discs. As I said other 1080p discs with SD 4:3 extra content play fine. The people behind the DW discs seem to have authored the discs in a way that's preventing compatible output. It's possible the reason the episodes are unaffected is because they're HD remasters/upscales while the other 4:3 stuff isn't.
Do you have one of the older Doctor Who BD releases?

It certainly sounds like a compatibility issue. I noticed that the discs have BD-ROM material on them, but I can't see how that would affect them.

Not sure if it's worth trying, but are you able to take your player to your parents and try the discs with their TV?
Old 07-25-2021, 04:42 PM   #133
Special Member

Nov 2018
UK

Quote:
Do you have one of the older Doctor Who BD releases?
Yeah I think you asked me this before. I tried Season 14 and got the same results.

Quote:
Not sure if it's worth trying, but are you able to take your player to your parents and try the discs with their TV?
So I've spoken to my dad about this and he doesn't see the point as he also sees it as a compatibility issue. I'd be surprised if no one else is having issues playing the extras.
Old 07-25-2021, 05:09 PM   #134
Blu-ray Archduke

Oct 2010
Wales

Quote:
Yeah I think you asked me this before. I tried Season 14 and got the same results.
Older than that, something like Spearhead from Space or Shada.

Quote:
So I've spoken to my dad about this and he doesn't see the point as he also sees it as a compatibility issue. I'd be surprised if no one else is having issues playing the extras.
I want to rule out the TV from the issue, any TV will do with an HDMI input.
Old 07-25-2021, 07:08 PM   #135
Blu-ray Guru

Jul 2009

Quote:
So I've spoken to my dad about this and he doesn't see the point as he also sees it as a compatibility issue.
I agree with your Dad. It's a lot of time and effort over supplements with one series. If this issue was problem with all discs in your library, I'd differ with your Dad.
Old 07-25-2021, 07:26 PM   #136
Blu-ray Archduke

Oct 2010
Wales

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronboster View Post
I agree with your Dad. It's a lot of time and effort over supplements with one series. If this issue was problem with all discs in your library, I'd differ with your Dad.
My concern is that Panasonic players are popular (and they're running the same firmware as standard) and so are the Doctor Who box sets, it's strange that we haven't had it mentioned elsewhere.
Old 07-25-2021, 10:51 PM   #137
Power Member

Dec 2009
Indiana

I have a few Doctor Who Classic Seasons on Blu-Ray if you guys want me to test those out to see if they work on my 820. Iím not sure if they are different than the UK versions, but if they are the same I can test them. I have the 1st season for Baker, the 7th Season of Baker, and the 1st season of Peter Davison.
Thanks given by:
chip75 (07-26-2021), pferreira (07-27-2021)
Old 07-26-2021, 06:09 PM   #138
Blu-ray Ninja

Sep 2013
UK

Quote:
My concern is that Panasonic players are popular (and they're running the same firmware as standard) and so are the Doctor Who box sets, it's strange that we haven't had it mentioned elsewhere.
We have now.

https://forum.blu-ray.com/showpost.p...&postcount=308
Thanks given by:
chip75 (07-26-2021), pferreira (07-27-2021)
Old 07-26-2021, 06:50 PM   #139
Power Member

Dec 2009
Indiana

Quote:
I’m currently playing my Doctor Who: Tom Baker Season 7 U.S. set and all of the Making of Documentaries seem to be playing just fine in my Panny 820. I’m getting audio and video. I wonder if it’s more of a problem with the UK Panasonic players?? Like the discs are authored in a way they can’t be compatible with the output of the Panasonic UK players.

Last edited by PUsokrJosh305; 07-26-2021 at 06:58 PM.
Old 07-26-2021, 07:27 PM   #140
Blu-ray Ninja

Sep 2013
UK

Well the UK and US Who sets are differently authored anyway - 50i and 60i respectively. So they won't be like for like even on the same player.

Last edited by oddbox83; 07-26-2021 at 07:36 PM.
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Home Theater > Home Theater General Discussion