Best PS4 Game Deals

Best PS4 Game Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | New deals  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Australia Netherlands Japan Mexico
Mortal Kombat 11 (PS4)
$24.99

Empire of Sin (PS4)
$19.99
9 hrs ago
Nier Replicant Ver.1.22474487139 (PS4)
$39.99

R-Type Final 2 Inaugural Flight Edition (PS4)
$39.99

Kingdom Hearts: Melody of Memory (PS4)
$19.99

The Walking Dead: Saints & Sinners (PS4)
$29.99
17 hrs ago
Blood & Truth (PS4)
$12.99

Dark Souls III (PS4)
$14.88

Black Desert (PS4)
$19.99
10 hrs ago
Shin Megami Tensei III: Nocturne HD Remaster (PS4)
$34.99

Persona 5 Strikers (PS4)
$34.99

Blair Witch (PS4)
$25.50
1 day ago
What's your next favorite movie?
Join our movie community to find out

Image from: Life of Pi (2012)

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Gaming > PlayStation > PS4

Old 07-12-2021, 05:17 PM   #1201
Blu-ray Champion

Feb 2011
New York

Quote:
Originally Posted by rocknblues81 View Post
It's the other way for me. Do A to get to point B in liner fashion is dumb to me. It limits the game experience. It's an antiquated method to me.

If want to watch something or have something so reliant on story... That's what movies and such are for. Sometimes games have way too many cut scenes.
That's true.
Like I said, I finished the game already. Three times. Now this is my fourth playthrough, and I was just trying "story missions only" to see if it feels more urgent.

The reason is, because, at the end of the day, be it Spider-Man, Horizon Zero Dawn, Assassin's Creed, Far Cry 5, Mad Max, or any of the other open world games, they start to have the same 'feel':

1. Go here on map (main story mission)
2. Or go here (side mission), which makes the main story mission seem less urgent
3. Clear area of antagonists
4. Unlock more of map
5. Unlock new area(s)
6. Unlock new abilities
7. Rinse and repeat

Some say adding all those fetch missions and unlocking map zones is just a way to make ya think you're getting your money's worth.

"Its got so many side mission, making the game 67 hours, so that means it's automatically worth $60.00"
Old 07-12-2021, 06:55 PM   #1202
Blu-ray Samurai

Jun 2007
Round Rock, TX

Quote:
Originally Posted by eiknarf View Post
That's true.
Like I said, I finished the game already. Three times. Now this is my fourth playthrough, and I was just trying "story missions only" to see if it feels more urgent.
I know exactly what you mean. I just started playing Ghost of Tsushima now and
[Show spoiler]my uncle has been captured, but I have to do all of these side missions when my primary goal is to save him from captivity. Instead, I'm worshiping Fox monuments, taking baths, upgrading my clothes and weapons, opening up the map, chasing birds, creating Haikus and talking to people about all of their problems.

Although, I will say that Days Gone's storyline does a great job of slowly rolling out and all of the side missions do seem to correspond with what's going on with the storyline. Everything is really well intertwined without being too repetitive. It's still my favorite PS4 game.

Games like Horizon: Zero Dawn, Ghost of Tsushima and even Spiderman seem like storylines and character models placed into an Assassin's Creed game engine. Sure, that's oversimplifying as there are varying game mechanics, graphics, audio, etc., but the concepts are the same.
Thanks given by:
Azyiu (07-12-2021), eiknarf (07-12-2021), emailking (07-15-2021)
Old 07-12-2021, 06:58 PM   #1203
Special Member

May 2010
Tennessee

Wonder why we havent gotten a days gone directors cut yet for ps5.
Old 07-12-2021, 07:00 PM   #1204
Blu-ray Samurai

Jun 2007
Round Rock, TX

Quote:
Originally Posted by bryanr1213 View Post
Wonder why we havent gotten a days gone directors cut yet for ps5.
Pretty sure we won't be seeing anything further regarding Days Gone. If we got a Days Gone 2, it wouldn't be for another 3 or 4 years.
Old 07-12-2021, 09:48 PM   #1205
Blu-ray Champion

Feb 2011
New York

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckenisell View Post
I know exactly what you mean. I just started playing Ghost of Tsushima now and
[Show spoiler]my uncle has been captured, but I have to do all of these side missions when my primary goal is to save him from captivity. Instead, I'm worshiping Fox monuments, taking baths, upgrading my clothes and weapons, opening up the map, chasing birds, creating Haikus and talking to people about all of their problems.

Although, I will say that Days Gone's storyline does a great job of slowly rolling out and all of the side missions do seem to correspond with what's going on with the storyline. Everything is really well intertwined without being too repetitive. It's still my favorite PS4 game.

Games like Horizon: Zero Dawn, Ghost of Tsushima and even Spiderman seem like storylines and character models placed into an Assassin's Creed game engine. Sure, that's oversimplifying as there are varying game mechanics, graphics, audio, etc., but the concepts are the same.
100%
Exactly

“I have to save my sister! Now! But first, I gotta help this stranger find his pigeons”

I’m sick of doing things for strangers when I have my own problems
Thanks given by:
NoFro (07-13-2021)
Old 07-12-2021, 10:55 PM   #1206
Blu-ray Champion

May 2008
The Center of Smoked Bacon Research

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckenisell View Post
Pretty sure we won't be seeing anything further regarding Days Gone. If we got a Days Gone 2, it wouldn't be for another 3 or 4 years.
I know... and that's sad for the fact that we likely won't ever see a Days Gone 2, due to its "poor" sales and "bad" reps early on. That being said, I still hope they come back and do a sequel at some point. Hell, they could call that game Years Gone and we all know the game takes place a long while AFTER the end of the first story.
Old 07-13-2021, 04:28 AM   #1207
Blu-ray Prince

Dec 2011
USA

A sense of urgency with missions is important and keeps the tension up. Very good point about doing lots of less important side missions while a ransomed character's life hangs in the balance.

With many linear and open world games, I have a laugh when the game says "Get to this point to save this person or press this button right away!" but then it allows me to take my time and explore the area: Finding hidden items and admiring the scenery before finally deciding many minutes later to reach the checkpoint they wanted me to reach right away. I'm actually grateful when they don't have a timer on things like that.

Only thing they'll do is restrict how far away you can go from that checkpoint, and usually say "Get back to the area or abandon the mission".

Sony Bend packed a ton of content into Days Gone, so much so that it feels like two games in one. I feel the story was completely resolved too for the most part, but of course I'd be interested in a sequel. But please allow the player to swim this time.
Old 07-15-2021, 11:17 PM   #1208
Blu-ray Samurai

Aug 2015

Quote:
I tried something

I prefer linear story driven games over open world games. In all the open world games I’ve ever played, there’s no sense of urgency. Similar side missions and map unlocking…etc They all feel the same -

That said, I do love Ghost of Tsushima and Days Gone.
So I decided to see if I could make Days Gone feel more “story” driven (like, The Last of Us), and it’s working

What I did was start a New Game Plus and only play the main story (yellow destinations), and it’s working!!!

I have enough of the upgrades all the side quests from the original play through granted me, so I feel it’s more linear now.
I know what you mean there. Something critical could have just happened, someone may be being held captive, something huge may have just been revealed, and then you can go do 5 side tasks taking a few days of game time, then go back to the main story and it's like you didn't even do that lol. It's pretty immersion breaking. On my NG+ replay when that came out, I only did the main story.
Old 07-16-2021, 01:19 PM   #1209
Blu-ray Champion

Feb 2011
New York

Quote:
Originally Posted by emailking View Post
I know what you mean there. Something critical could have just happened, someone may be being held captive, something huge may have just been revealed, and then you can go do 5 side tasks taking a few days of game time, then go back to the main story and it's like you didn't even do that lol. It's pretty immersion breaking. On my NG+ replay when that came out, I only did the main story.
I have 154 PS4 games
Days Gone is literally the best at the open world thing making most urgent situations feel somewhat urgent and the side missions feel important

Even the critically acclaimed Spider-Man game had “super urgent scenarios” get watered down by me “getting to it later. I just wanna upgrade a little bit and unlock some of this map in the meantime”

Someone or some developer has to reinvent open world gaming and the whole story vs side quest mission fiasco
Thanks given by:
Azyiu (07-16-2021), emailking (07-22-2021)
Old 07-20-2021, 12:42 AM   #1210
Blu-ray Champion

May 2008

I had a weird Days Gone related dream... "saw" the horde was wearing Qing dynasty clothing and since I basically only ever saw those historical photos in B&W only, the freaks are in B&W

On the other hand, do you guys stockpile mines or proximity bombs? I started doing that in my current run. I simply pick a few locations that no enemies are likely going to appear nearby, and "place" them there. My thinking is, you will need lots of them for horde later on anyway, so why worry about finding materials when you need them? what do you think? Or what do you do with your weapons?
Old 07-22-2021, 03:07 AM   #1211
Blu-ray Champion

May 2008

I guess stockpiling proximity mines and bombs just doesn’t work, and I sort of learned it the hard way. As I have mentioned in another post, I placed those mines and bombs around for later uses. My whole point was to
[Show spoiler]minimize my losses in that mission Skizzo sold me out to the Rippers. You know you would always lose your bombs and Molotovs when you escape from their camp.
Things went well for several “days” in the game across multiple missions, yet I noticed everything I have put aside just simply gone as soon as I started the Light A Candle mission (or might have been sooner).
Old 07-22-2021, 04:14 AM   #1212
Special Member

Apr 2017

Quote:
I have 154 PS4 games
Days Gone is literally the best at the open world thing making most urgent situations feel somewhat urgent and the side missions feel important

Even the critically acclaimed Spider-Man game had “super urgent scenarios” get watered down by me “getting to it later. I just wanna upgrade a little bit and unlock some of this map in the meantime”

Someone or some developer has to reinvent open world gaming and the whole story vs side quest mission fiasco
I just ignore the side quests. Regardless of their quality, the side quests always take away from the urgency of the main story and ruin the pacing in every game.
Thanks given by:
eiknarf (07-22-2021)
Old 07-22-2021, 07:12 AM   #1213
Blu-ray Archduke

Jun 2011
Dryland

Quote:
Originally Posted by PenguinInfinity View Post
I just ignore the side quests. Regardless of their quality, the side quests always take away from the urgency of the main story and ruin the pacing in every game.
In the majority of open world games though side quests can be essential for levelling up.
Thanks given by:
Azyiu (07-23-2021)
Old 07-22-2021, 10:20 PM   #1214
Special Member

Apr 2017

Quote:
Originally Posted by levcore View Post
In the majority of open world games though side quests can be essential for levelling up.
Leveling up is rarely that essential. I have no interest in getting every skill or upgrade and the main story generally provides enough to beat each game without too much difficulty.
Old 07-22-2021, 10:32 PM   #1215
Blu-ray Samurai

Aug 2015

Trophy hunters gotta do the sidequests though.

In Days Gone, clearing the nests make it easier to get through areas when you have to drive through them again on the bike. Also gets you the credits you need for new weapons and bike upgrades.
Old 07-23-2021, 05:27 AM   #1216
Blu-ray Champion

Feb 2011
New York

Quote:
Originally Posted by emailking View Post
Trophy hunters gotta do the sidequests though.

In Days Gone, clearing the nests make it easier to get through areas when you have to drive through them again on the bike. Also gets you the credits you need for new weapons and bike upgrades.
Now that I’m only doing the main missions, and NOT “clearing areas on the side” and NOT using fast travel (because I wouldn’t use fast travel in Last of Us, because there is none), I notice driving has more zombies, and That’s COOL AS HELL!!! It’s more realistic! Because in real life, I wouldn’t stop to take out a nest or horde by myself when I have things to do like get parts for my friends missing arm or find my wife!!!! When they attack me on my bike, I have a nice survival fight and continue the main mission. It’s a completely different feel.
Old 07-23-2021, 07:24 AM   #1217
Blu-ray Archduke

Jun 2011
Dryland

Quote:
Originally Posted by PenguinInfinity View Post
Leveling up is rarely that essential. I have no interest in getting every skill or upgrade and the main story generally provides enough to beat each game without too much difficulty.
I've found the opposite to be true
Thanks given by:
Azyiu (07-23-2021)
Old 07-24-2021, 11:49 PM   #1218
Blu-ray Prince

Dec 2011
USA

I was leveled up just enough to survive that diner town mission with the big collapsed road and bridge with the pit of horde freakers, the biggest horde of zombies in a mission up to that point, and had access to incendiary grenades, which honestly didn't do enough like the scientist was claiming.

Had to keep running and finding ammo to reload. If I left the area, the mission would fail. Difficulty surviving that mission even with good gear and loads of weapons and ammo, 9/10. I had to repeat it a second time to win that mission. Very memorable though.
Old 07-25-2021, 01:23 AM   #1219
Blu-ray Champion

May 2008

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zivouhr View Post
I was leveled up just enough to survive that diner town mission with the big collapsed road and bridge with the pit of horde freakers, the biggest horde of zombies in a mission up to that point, and had access to incendiary grenades, which honestly didn't do enough like the scientist was claiming.

Had to keep running and finding ammo to reload. If I left the area, the mission would fail. Difficulty surviving that mission even with good gear and loads of weapons and ammo, 9/10. I had to repeat it a second time to win that mission. Very memorable though.
Ahhh, you are talking about the Chemult Station Horde. Didn’t you set any proximity mines or bombs? That horde or that mission is difficult but not impossible, even if you only go gun blazing though.

By the way, I started the game late like 3 months after it was released, this thread became a little quiet then. So I went back to read everything from around page 31 onward, I thought you have beat it long ago? Lol. Or are you like me coming back for more and play it differently each run? Lol.
Old 07-25-2021, 03:58 AM   #1220
Blu-ray Prince

Dec 2011
USA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Azyiu View Post
Ahhh, you are talking about the Chemult Station Horde. Didn’t you set any proximity mines or bombs? That horde or that mission is difficult but not impossible, even if you only go gun blazing though.

By the way, I started the game late like 3 months after it was released, this thread became a little quiet then. So I went back to read everything from around page 31 onward, I thought you have beat it long ago? Lol. Or are you like me coming back for more and play it differently each run? Lol.
Thanks. Yes, I'm reminiscing about how tough that run was the first time I tried it way back when a couple years ago probably now. I had loaded my character with as many blast drops that I could craft, but still had some big challenges with that mission on the first attempt. I almost had it I remember, but had to try one more time to complete it from what I remember. I'm picturing my memory of crossing that bridge out of the town and then instantly it said mission failed after I almost had all the zombies wiped out. I didn't know it would dump me out of the mission so fast. I'm pretty sure that's how I had to repeat it to my frustration but it was fun even so on the 2nd try.

The giant Barn Mill mission was tough too with that giant barn horde. Any hesitation and the horde smothers the player in seconds.

This game plays beautifully on PS5, I will get back to it soon. While I haven't restarted the game, I'll going through some of it and exploring mostly the nice, giant open world. 60 fps makes the bike much faster seeming, but the giant fuel tank takes a lot more than 5 minutes or less on the old tiny fuel tank.

What's your favorite mission in Days Gone?
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Gaming > PlayStation > PS4