Best iTunes Movie Deals

Best iTunes Movie Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | New deals  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Australia Netherlands Japan Mexico
Middle-Earth Extended Editions 6-Film Collection (iTunes)
$44.99

The Flash: Season 1-6 (iTunes)
$39.99

Uncut Gems (iTunes)
$4.99

The Walking Dead, Season 7 (iTunes)
$19.99
19 hrs ago
The Walking Dead, Season 8 (iTunes)
$19.99
18 hrs ago
The Walking Dead, Season 6 (iTunes)
$19.99
19 hrs ago
Deadpool 2-Movie Collection (iTunes)
$19.99

Tomb Raider (iTunes)
$4.99

The Conjuring Universe 6-Film Collection (iTunes)
$39.99

Brad Pitt 5-Movie Collection (iTunes)
$19.99

Clint Eastwood 8 Film Director's Collection (iTunes)
$29.99

Star Trek 1-10 (iTunes)
$19.99

What's your next favorite movie?
Join our movie community to find out

Image from: Life of Pi (2012)
Old 09-16-2020, 10:17 AM   #1
Blu-ray Samurai

May 2010
-
-
-
Default Headphones for AppleTV

Are Bluetooth Headphones the only option for AppleTV?

It only has one HDMI port but as I understand it people connect the AppleTV to their sound system first and then connect the sound sustenances to their television.

Would this work with wireless headphones too?

I've been through a few in the couple of years.

I currently have a pair of Sephia SX16 bluetooth headphones. They are fairly cheap but sound on them is terrific. It is like they have a subwoofer built-in - I can the AT-AT steps in Rogue One and explosions.

However it my seventh pair of these - I've had to get replacements or buy another because the headband keeps cracking. And in the exact same place.

I would rather pay more for a product that will last but I have no idea how to choose because they cannot be tested with my movie library unless I buy.

Can anyone recommend some brands and models?

I'm also interested in headphones with Dolby Atmos virtualisation but every link I follow to ones with bluetooth are out of stock online.
Old 09-16-2020, 01:25 PM   #2

Aug 2008
Biloxi Ms

I use my AirPods Pro with airplay2. if this your thing
Old 09-16-2020, 01:53 PM   #3
Blu-ray Samurai

May 2010
-
-
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by iGlide View Post
I use my AirPods Pro with airplay2. if this your thing
Why do you use them via AirPlay?
Old 09-16-2020, 04:26 PM   #4

Jun 2014
UK

Quote:
Originally Posted by ManOfTheForest View Post
Are Bluetooth Headphones the only option for AppleTV?

It only has one HDMI port but as I understand it people connect the AppleTV to their sound system first and then connect the sound sustenances to their television.

Would this work with wireless headphones too?

I've been through a few in the couple of years.

I currently have a pair of Sephia SX16 bluetooth headphones. They are fairly cheap but sound on them is terrific. It is like they have a subwoofer built-in - I can the AT-AT steps in Rogue One and explosions.

However it my seventh pair of these - I've had to get replacements or buy another because the headband keeps cracking. And in the exact same place.

I would rather pay more for a product that will last but I have no idea how to choose because they cannot be tested with my movie library unless I buy.

Can anyone recommend some brands and models?

I'm also interested in headphones with Dolby Atmos virtualisation but every link I follow to ones with bluetooth are out of stock online.
I had the same problem.

What I did was connect the HDMI from the ATV straight to my LG TV, which has a Dolby Atmos decoder built in, then paired my headphones to the TV's Bluetooth.

These are the headphones I have:

https://www.lg.com/uk/tonefree_m/mai...SAAEgJTgfD_BwE

I actually got these free with my LG OLED TV and they're excellent.
Thanks given by:
ManOfTheForest (09-17-2020), mantle52ball (09-17-2020)
Old 09-16-2020, 10:20 PM   #5
Power Member

Jul 2007
San Jose, CA

Quote:
Bluetooth is currently not able to carry Dolby Atmos (or other high-quality multi-channel formats). There are some solutions out there using a separate device that creates a stereo signal with virtual surround effects from the Atmos input via an HRTF (which can then be transmitted via BT).

Also, Apple has just today released iOS 14 which can create virtual surround on the Airpods Pro. It even tracks your head movement via sensors in the Airpods to align the audio with the relative position of the iOS device. Unfortunately it's currently limited to iPhones and iPads though. I don't see a technical reason why the ATV wouldn't be capable of supporting this as well, but currently it doesn't.

PS: just noticed this is already being discussed in the other thread.

Last edited by Fiffy; 09-16-2020 at 10:24 PM.
Thanks given by:
ManOfTheForest (09-17-2020)
Old 09-17-2020, 10:23 AM   #6
Blu-ray Samurai

May 2010
-
-
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiffy View Post
Bluetooth is currently not able to carry Dolby Atmos (or other high-quality multi-channel formats). There are some solutions out there using a separate device that creates a stereo signal with virtual surround effects from the Atmos input via an HRTF (which can then be transmitted via BT).

Also, Apple has just today released iOS 14 which can create virtual surround on the Airpods Pro. It even tracks your head movement via sensors in the Airpods to align the audio with the relative position of the iOS device. Unfortunately it's currently limited to iPhones and iPads though. I don't see a technical reason why the ATV wouldn't be capable of supporting this as well, but currently it doesn't.

PS: just noticed this is already being discussed in the other thread.
I was positive that when Apple showed the AirPods for Atmos at the previous Event that the lady was using an AppleTV. Seems my memory is worse than I though.

I know true Atmos cannot be done by Bluetooth but I have found sites with reviews of Atmos headphones that include Bluetooth but find nothing on manufacturer sites to confirm this.

Can wired headphones do true Atmos?

Last edited by ManOfTheForest; 09-17-2020 at 10:38 AM.
Old 09-17-2020, 11:07 AM   #7
Blu-ray Samurai

May 2010
-
-
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big-D View Post
I had the same problem.

What I did was connect the HDMI from the ATV straight to my LG TV, which has a Dolby Atmos decoder built in, then paired my headphones to the TV's Bluetooth.

These are the headphones I have:

https://www.lg.com/uk/tonefree_m/mai...SAAEgJTgfD_BwE

I actually got these free with my LG OLED TV and they're excellent.
I don’t like those rubber whatyoumaycallthems. They are on the AirPods too.

I find them very uncomfortable and they don’t stay in my ears.

Why do you connect them to the TV instead of the AppleTV?

I thought it is better to get the audio direct from the box? Does it not make difference?
Old 09-17-2020, 01:15 PM   #8

Jun 2014
UK

Quote:
I donít like those rubber whatyoumaycallthems. They are on the AirPods too.

I find them very uncomfortable and they donít stay in my ears.

Why do you connect them to the TV instead of the AppleTV?

I thought it is better to get the audio direct from the box? Does it not make difference?
I've got them paired to the TV as I not only have the Apple TV connected, but I have an Nvidia Shield TV, desktop computer and a Blu-ray player/recorder. And I also watch live TV too, hence I can utilise the headphones for everything I've mentioned above.
Thanks given by:
ManOfTheForest (09-17-2020)
Old 09-17-2020, 03:08 PM   #9
Blu-ray Samurai

May 2010
-
-
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big-D View Post
I've got them paired to the TV as I not only have the Apple TV connected, but I have an Nvidia Shield TV, desktop computer and a Blu-ray player/recorder. And I also watch live TV too, hence I can utilise the headphones for everything I've mentioned above.
It has been so long since I have watched “regular TV” that I forgot there was something other than AppleTV

Old 09-17-2020, 03:29 PM   #10
Power Member

Jul 2007
San Jose, CA

Quote:
Can wired headphones do true Atmos?
Not sure what you mean by true Atmos. Unless you have 5+ ears, every headphone will have to virtualize the audio objects in a binaural signal.

You could theoretically build a headphone that directly connects to a source with an HDMI cable, but you'd still have to decode and apply an HRTF in the headphone. So it's not fundamentally different from using a decoder box like the one that comes e.g. with this wireless model.
Old 09-17-2020, 04:57 PM   #11
Blu-ray Samurai

May 2010
-
-
-

Quote:
Not sure what you mean by true Atmos. Unless you have 5+ ears, every headphone will have to virtualize the audio objects in a binaural signal.

Quote:
You could theoretically build a headphone that directly connects to a source with an HDMI cable, but you'd still have to decode and apply an HRTF in the headphone. So it's not fundamentally different from using a decoder box like the one that comes e.g. with this wireless model.
You put a machine or device in front of me and I can take it apart and put it back together.

Be damned if I know how any of them work though.

The minimal reviews I found sometimes don't specify the Atmos is simulated.

This all helps though. I am barking up the wrong tree in regards AppleTV.

So I can just concentrate on stereo headphones.

Just as I type I'm wondering if I can somehow reinforce the headband on my Sephia SX-16?

Last edited by ManOfTheForest; 09-17-2020 at 05:39 PM.
Thanks given by:
Dr. Zaius (09-17-2020)
Old 09-17-2020, 06:15 PM   #12
Blu-ray Ninja

Aug 2007
Dawson, GA

Copied these posts from another thread:

Quote:
I don't know how you understood my post. I had to go back to figure out what I was talking about.

Back at the previous Apple Event (new tvOS and iOS14 one) didn't they show the AirPods working with Arms on AppleTV?

Do I need my head examined? Again?
Saw clips of a video yesterday which I believe was copied from the WWDC event, and it appeared to show a man standing in front of a screen (not necessarily) a TV or projector with an ATK.

It might have been simply to give the idea that it would work like having theater sound, and we all assumed it would work like surround sound with movies.

Of course it's also possible that the feature is still being worked on and might make it to tvOS 14.1.

Quote:
Is there an official list of supported devices for spatial audio?
LINK
Old 09-17-2020, 07:33 PM   #13
Blu-ray Samurai

May 2010
-
-
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan Gordon View Post
Copied these posts from another thread:

Saw clips of a video yesterday which I believe was copied from the WWDC event, and it appeared to show a man standing in front of a screen (not necessarily) a TV or projector with an ATK.

It might have been simply to give the idea that it would work like having theater sound, and we all assumed it would work like surround sound with movies.

Of course it's also possible that the feature is still being worked on and might make it to tvOS 14.1.

LINK
I had a look at the video myself earlier. I can see where I made the mistake but the way the presentation start was kind of misleading.

Also young Mary-Ann accidentally revealed the secret behind all Apple's products... MAGIC!!!

Last edited by ManOfTheForest; 09-18-2020 at 01:19 PM.
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Digital Movies > iTunes