Best Blu-ray Movie Deals

Best Blu-ray Movie Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | New deals  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Australia Netherlands Japan Mexico
Space Jam 4K (Blu-ray)
$25.99
9 hrs ago
Drive (Blu-ray)
$27.99
1 day ago
Center Stage (Blu-ray)
$29.99
9 hrs ago
Willy Wonka & the Chocolate Factory 4K (Blu-ray)
$29.99

Godzilla vs. Kong 4K (Blu-ray)
$42.99

The Rocketeer (Blu-ray)
$8.99
1 day ago
Solid Metal Nightmares: The Films of Shinya Tsukamoto (Blu-ray)
$72.99

Dragonheart: 5-Movie Collection (Blu-ray)
$19.99

Final Fantasy VII: Advent Children Complete 4K (Blu-ray)
$24.49

The Hobbit: The Motion Picture Trilogy 4K (Blu-ray)
$73.43
1 day ago
Nobody 4K (Blu-ray)
$30.99

Wonder Woman 1984 4K / Wonder Woman 4K (Blu-ray)
$30.49
13 hrs ago
What's your next favorite movie?
Join our movie community to find out

Image from: Life of Pi (2012)

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Entertainment > General Chat

Old 08-16-2013, 11:31 PM   #61

Mar 2010

I was not that big of a fan of their menu's at first but they have grown on me.

I despise that god damned "Ticker" though. That should be something I have the option to turn on if I want it, not turn off if I don't.
Thanks given by:
Monterey Jack (01-28-2017)
Old 08-17-2013, 01:48 AM   #62
Blu-ray Samurai

Dec 2007
Lancaster, CA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uberbot View Post
Okay. I admit I am a bit overly obsessed with design but can Universal try any less with their releases? Every single title has the exact same menu.
As long as the movie starts, I'm good.
Old 08-25-2013, 07:52 PM   #63
Power Member

Mar 2013

In my opinion I agree with the OP, these menu's suck. Consistency is only a good thing between movies in a series, not just slapped on everything. A lot of the time it just doesn't fit - Shaun of the Dead for instance. It deserves a cooler menu than that.

Packaging matters (just look at the interest in slipcovers) and the menu is a big part of the packaging. It can be organized but still have some design to it.

The one thing I do like is the universal screensaver that pops up when paused.
Old 08-25-2013, 08:02 PM   #64
Blu-ray Knight

Oct 2012

I was just watching Vertigo from the Hitchcock Essential's Set, and they have the basic menu. I was doing major .
Old 11-27-2015, 05:28 PM   #65

Sep 2009
Default 100% agree with the OP

Jeese, I only just figured this out two days ago, when I bought Gladiator blu ray and noticed it had the exact same blu ray menu as Back to the Future, and when I talked about it to a friend, apparently Jurassic Park has the same menu. I was furious to say the least, I'm not all that impressed with the presentation of Blu-rays as it is. Most of them have flast 2d pictures as a backdrop for their menus, with no animated intro's, menu designs are mediocre at best and it's a shame we have to put up with this, DVD's were given far more creativity!

Coming back to the whole issue of Paramount using the same menu's for all their blu-rays, this is totally unnacceptable! I'm paying money for what I like to think is a quality product, so I expect quality presentation, not some bum who sits in front of the computer creating the same bloody menu for every single blu ray release!

Those of you who say "it doesn't matter" and accept it, what the hell is wrong with you all? Is your expectation for a quality product so low that you just don't care? Taking into account that Blu ray has a phemonenal amount of disk space to work with, I want to see more attention paid to these menu's and I want them to have colours, design, sound and intro's that are in tune with the movie, not some box standard menu template that they just fill with film footage! Give us more of a reason to spend money on movies, this is another catalyst to increase piracy. The rocky blu ray set was so badly presented that I just ripped the movies off disc and saved them on a hard drive. Same with the fugitive special edition blu ray that has menu buttons that look like they have been snapped off google or something.
Old 11-27-2015, 08:07 PM   #66
Power Member

Oct 2010
Toronto

I read the title as "Who else hates the Universe"..

I don't care for the menus, but I don't hate them
Old 11-29-2015, 07:12 AM   #67
Blu-ray Samurai

Dec 2009
DFW TX

Their menus are soooooo 2008. My slider phone agrees.
Old 11-29-2015, 08:21 AM   #68
Blu-ray Ninja

Apr 2014
Australia

I always liked that Universal menu, it's nice imo.

Anyway in terms of the most unique menu, I think Superbad has that honour with their collage of dick drawings as the backdrop (the Tank Man parody always leaves me in stitches), so that's pretty unique and it fits with the movie.
Old 11-29-2015, 03:30 PM   #69

Oct 2008

It's distinctive.
Old 01-26-2017, 10:55 AM   #70

Jan 2017

I think Universal do this mostly out of a desire for consistency, rather than lacking design resources. I have a release of "Scott Pilgrim vs. the World" which uses those rather bland Universal menus, but puts a neat twist on them -- everything is pixelated and 8-bit styled, in a way that fits neatly to the film in question.

I do think that BD menus are a form of artistic expression connected to the films they support, and that Universal lose some of that with their cookie cutter design. But they are easy to navigate, and Universal offer shit-tons of bonus content on most of their releases, so I'm not complaining.
Old 01-26-2017, 11:00 AM   #71
Blu-ray Knight

May 2015
Erath

The BttF Blu-rays were the first discs of that type I bought, and I was lost, lol. I'm a techy-type guy, but they were atrocious for user friendliness.
Thanks given by:
Crispy0009 (01-29-2017)
Old 06-30-2020, 10:26 PM   #72

Jun 2020
Default yes

Okay, am I the only one who thinks Universal menus are so frickin laggy! Like I navigated DVD's easier than this and blu-rays are supposed to be better.
Old 09-13-2020, 11:37 AM   #73
Blu-ray Guru

Jan 2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uberbot View Post
Okay. I admit I am a bit overly obsessed with design but can Universal try any less with their releases? Every single title has the exact same menu. It's not just on the interface but also on the back of their packaging. They must have only one lazy person working in their design department.

Am I the only one annoyed by this? I find the interface and pop-ups on Blu-ray to be part of the overall experience. Things are lessened when everything looks identical. They are offering true meaning to a "Universal" menu!!
Oh funny to see I'm not alone. I hate them so much too. Do you know how many years it has taken me to find out how to exit the "screensaver" mode that takes over if you dont resume play after 5-10 minutes? Why would anyone thing to press the direction buttons?
However, I must say, and I don't know what studio does it, but those who don't write what the menus are, instead they use icons? Home is the only one that makes sense but the rest dont conform to any real meaning. Does it really take too much to design those?
Old 09-15-2020, 01:45 PM   #74
Blu-ray Samurai

Nov 2009
Commonwealth of Virgin

sometimes I like conformity and uniformity in products like Criterion releases or Arrow but Universal with curve thing has always annoyed me. Its like the packaging when they use to show how Hi-Defination the movie is by having a label on top of the cover with that swoosh thing.
Old 11-01-2020, 08:47 PM   #75
Special Member

Jan 2009
Bury U.K

Always liked universal menus, glad they have gone away from the movie spoilers playing on background of the older ones, but still have always liked the look of them.
Old 12-28-2020, 04:42 AM   #76
Blu-ray Guru

Oct 2017
Vacationland
-
-
-
-
-
-
-

Reminds me of the original XBox 360 "Blades" interface:

Old 03-20-2021, 11:28 PM   #77
Expert Member

Dec 2015
London
Send a message via Skype™ to Verisimilitude1984

Not a fan.

Especially of the language menu that pops up first on the left hand side. All all the shimmer.
Old 03-22-2021, 12:28 PM   #78

Mar 2019
New England

i guess I don't mind the menus as much as the stupid Universal screensaver that appears if I pause the movie for more than like three seconds.
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Entertainment > General Chat