Best Blu-ray Movie Deals

Best Blu-ray Movie Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | New deals  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Australia Netherlands Japan Mexico
I Dream of Jeannie: The Complete Series (Blu-ray)
$57.99
1 day ago
10 Cloverfield Lane 4K (Blu-ray)
$9.96
14 hrs ago
G.I. Joe: The Rise of Cobra 4K (Blu-ray)
$19.99

The Lord of the Rings: The Motion Picture Trilogy 4K (Blu-ray)
$77.97

G.I. Joe: Retaliation 4K (Blu-ray)
$19.99

The Final Countdown 4K (Blu-ray)
$47.99
1 day ago
The Phantom of the Opera (Blu-ray)
$13.55
1 day ago
Fast Times at Ridgemont High (Blu-ray)
$27.99

Nobody 4K (Blu-ray)
$30.99

300 4K (Blu-ray)
$17.99

Fleabag: The Complete Series (Blu-ray)
$23.99

Goblin Slayer: Goblin's Crown (Blu-ray)
$19.99

What's your next favorite movie?
Join our movie community to find out

Image from: Life of Pi (2012)

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Entertainment > General Chat

Old 03-03-2021, 03:51 PM   #361

Apr 2019
Send a message via MSN to EvilAsh77 Send a message via Yahoo to EvilAsh77

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xerious View Post
slipcovers are so retarded... and not all lionsgate releases come with a slipcover... crank and saw III did... but nothing else
Please could you avoid using the word 'retarded'. It's quite offensive to those of us who are disabled or may have some kind of learning disability.

Thanks.

🙂
Thanks given by:
Shaggy1978 (03-07-2021)
Old 03-03-2021, 05:24 PM   #362
Blu-ray Knight

Jan 2012
Bedford Falls

I like them but can see why they may be phased with newer releases with fewer people going in stores and physical media not being the presence it used to be. But it's definitely still a nice thing to add for say boutique label projects to further justify the premium.
Old 03-07-2021, 01:48 AM   #363
Expert Member

Dec 2020

Slipcovers are the weirdest phenomenon I've seen in physical media. I always considered them trash, like protective packaging on any piece of electronic that you'd dispose of right away, and only started keeping them when I realized how much people will pay for them. The only slipcovers I keep on are the ones that show more of the art or have different art or maybe if they are embossed. The rest go on my ever growing pile.

Slipboxes >>>> slipcovers.
Old 03-07-2021, 02:52 AM   #364
Power Member

Aug 2013
Midlothian, TX (Suburb of Dallas)

If I can’t verify that a release will come with a slipcover or a Steelbook I won’t even buy it until I can find one on eBay that guarantees it is included. Many titles are only released in Canada, or other countries, with slips, so I am forced to import them.There are 3D & 4K titles I paid $120 several years ago to get a copy of Beauty & the Beast 3D w/ a Lenticular Slipcover but the price has dropped now that many people no longer have 3D televisions.

I also keep all 3D & 4K in protective PET covers for protection and they match on the shelf. Having random, naked cases mixed in simply looks bad. I have finally begun buying 3D blu-rays I haven’t been able to find slips for over the past 10 years but they are hidden in a separate cabinet upstairs separate from my complete BR’s and SB’s. I feel like I’m not a true collector if I don’t have all discs, inserts and slips or SB’s. Part of the fun of collecting is making sure I have a completed set. Plus, it significantly keeps the re-sale value higher.

People who throw away slipcovers are throwing away money. Part of them reason I started down the Steelbook path is bc there were many titles I couldn’t find slips for.

Of course, Lenticular slipcovers or steelbooks are my absolute favotites which were much more common got 3D titles.

I would assume that people who don’t care about slipcovers are REALLY confused about why collectors like buy Premium Steelbooks and essentially buy 3-5 copies of the exact same movie. And since I don’t open my Premium SB’s I also purchase an additional copy from the store which I open, watch and grab the Digital Code from!
Old 03-07-2021, 03:40 AM   #365
Power Member

Aug 2013
Midlothian, TX (Suburb of Dallas)

Quote:
Originally Posted by civiclx View Post
lmao your "shame" cabinet. That is awesome

I'm the same way. I would be lying if I said I wasn't cuckoo for cardboard. I don't always get Blu Rays on release day or week like I used to so they can be harder to find. If I'm buying a title that's a few years to several years old, it's not such a big deal but it would bother me if I couldn't find a slipcovered copy of a release that's less than a year old. I've actually done a pretty good job tracking a lot down though.

I found slipped copies of Ma, Venom and Anna just to name a few.
Good job finding those last three! One that I have NEVER seen is a slipcover for Battle for Terra 3D which a great 3D film. Apparently, on Taiwan (I think?) got a slipcover and I have NEVER seen one in ten years. Iíll have to send you a pic of my two storage cabinets when I get a chance. I think it must be an OCD thing!

Jeremy
Thanks given by:
civiclx (03-07-2021)
Old 03-07-2021, 12:16 PM   #366
Blu-ray Ninja

Jul 2010
California

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warm Gun View Post
Slipcovers are the weirdest phenomenon I've seen in physical media.
It's not weird. Most hardback books come with a slipcover, always have.
Old 03-07-2021, 04:34 PM   #367
Blu-ray Guru

Sep 2011
London, Ontario, Canada

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaggy1978 View Post
If I can’t verify that a release will come with a slipcover or a Steelbook I won’t even buy it until I can find one on eBay that guarantees it is included. Many titles are only released in Canada, or other countries, with slips, so I am forced to import them.There are 3D & 4K titles I paid $120 several years ago to get a copy of Beauty & the Beast 3D w/ a Lenticular Slipcover but the price has dropped now that many people no longer have 3D televisions.

I also keep all 3D & 4K in protective PET covers for protection and they match on the shelf. Having random, naked cases mixed in simply looks bad. I have finally begun buying 3D blu-rays I haven’t been able to find slips for over the past 10 years but they are hidden in a separate cabinet upstairs separate from my complete BR’s and SB’s. I feel like I’m not a true collector if I don’t have all discs, inserts and slips or SB’s. Part of the fun of collecting is making sure I have a completed set. Plus, it significantly keeps the re-sale value higher.

People who throw away slipcovers are throwing away money. Part of them reason I started down the Steelbook path is bc there were many titles I couldn’t find slips for.

Of course, Lenticular slipcovers or steelbooks are my absolute favotites which were much more common got 3D titles.

I would assume that people who don’t care about slipcovers are REALLY confused about why collectors like buy Premium Steelbooks and essentially buy 3-5 copies of the exact same movie. And since I don’t open my Premium SB’s I also purchase an additional copy from the store which I open, watch and grab the Digital Code from!
I have a few observations regarding your post. First off, you are not "forced" to import movies. It's a choice that you make. There's a very big difference.

Second, I toss my slipcovers unless there's something different about it. I'm NOT throwing money away. I don't need the slipcover and I will never sell the movie so there is no added value in keeping it. In addition, my time is worth something. If I were to sell my slipcovers I would need to research the value of them, check my emails and respond to them, purchase and package them and go to the post office and mail them. That time is worth something and, in my opinion, it's not worth it.

Third, I have numerous copies of some of my favourites but they're all different. I own steelbooks, digibooks and regular editions of some movies. I own four different box sets of Wizard Of Oz so your assumption that I won't understand owning multiple copies is totally wrong.

Lastly, you say that you buy two copies of steelbooks. You keep one sealed and open one. The only reason to do that is to sell the sealed one in the future. If you are not planning on doing that, I would consider that to be a waste of money. Having, said that, if you can afford to do it, why not ?
Old 03-07-2021, 08:12 PM   #368
Expert Member

Dec 2020

Quote:
Originally Posted by wonkavision View Post
It's not weird. Most hardback books come with a slipcover, always have.
Slipcovers on hardback books are more practical. You're touching the book with the oils of your hands all the time and placing it on all kinds of surfaces that can ruin the material. Books also often have very simple hardback covers because of the material, with the slipcovers often having more elaborate and colorful designs. The slipcover also doesn't prevent you from reading the book.

A Blu-ray slipcover is the complete opposite. You must slide it off and put it down somewhere before you can do anything with the movie, much like protective casing on other items that normally goes in the trash, and when it comes time to slide it back on, it can get caught on the plastic. A Blu-ray slipcover will almost always have the same design as the normal cover, making it pointless. The disc is already very protected inside the case, and the paper insert is protected by plastic, making the slipcover more pointless.

Last edited by Warm Gun; 03-07-2021 at 08:19 PM.
Old 03-22-2021, 12:38 PM   #369

Mar 2019
New England

I pretty much don't bother with slipcovers now. I don't toss them, and I have stacks and stacks of them bundled away in a closet somewhere, and desperately wish there was a feasible way to just sell them all or something (I just can't be bothered with cataloguing them or especially selling them one at a time lol).

I love the idea of slipcovers, but I hate the feeling of only having them for a relative handful of my movies. I'd just rather look at my shelves and see no slipcovers than see just a random assortment of them. And I don't want to ever EVER go down the rabbit hole of trying to acquire slips that I'm missing.

I'd also obsess over condition, which is another anxiety I just don't need in my life.
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Entertainment > General Chat